Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Whether it's you or someone else...

CRAP
76%
NOT CRAP
24%

Total votes : 151

Postby Heeby Jeeby on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:59 am

i love smoking, in fact i love nearly everything about it. i don't blow it in people's faces or smoke around people who are eating. i try to be considerate but goddamn i do love it. one day in the future i will definitely regret it and i'm sure i'll regret what a clueless asshole i was but y'know i love it.

my advice to you same is to start smoking and pull the same shit on her that she pulls on you. treat people only as well as they treat others. plus i think you'll like it...
Heeby Jeeby
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Sock OR Muffin? on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 am

same wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
same wrote:I work with a girl who smokes, heavily. She takes about one, ten-minute smoke brake every hour and a half. Sometimes this coincides with her eating-brake making it about 20 minutes. All told, she spends about 30-40 minutes of her shift smoking. It makes us get out late and makes my job harder because I have to deal with all the customers while she's smoking (petty, I know, but night after night it gets to you). Tonight I told her, "Look, we're closed, we're running behind, and I want to get the fuck out of here. Can you please wait until we're done and punched out to have a smoke?" and she glared at me and was a total cunt for the rest of the night. I don't mind if you smoke, but please people, don't be a fucking ass about it. Have the humilty to not let your bad habit become other people's burden.

I'm assuming its only the two of you? Are you working food or something?

Yes it's only the two of us, and it's a very busy cafe/bakery. So if any of you think I'm the prick for bitching about this it's obvious it's been a long time since you've worked worked in a fast-paced food service environment. Lucky you.

I've never been a smoker and experienced many times when the rest of the people I worked with had to stop seven times a shift for a smoke while I ran an entire fucking kitchen during a dinner rush. Smoking is crap and some smokers can be crap. I'm guess I'm a cunt as well?

CRAP
Sock OR Muffin?
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Sock OR Muffin? on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:33 am

Oh and serious congrats to all of you who have quit.

My girlfriend hasn't had one for over a year (after smoking 12 years) and that first month or two was rough for her.
Anthony Flack wrote:In fact it was Jimmy Saville who first introduced Cream to The Small Faces.
Sock OR Muffin?

Postby bigc on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:57 am

Sock OR Muffin? wrote:Oh and serious congrats to all of you who have quit.

My girlfriend hasn't had one for over a year (after smoking 12 years) and that first month or two was rough for her.

Liar.
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby gaetano on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:10 pm

i'm trying to quit for the second time.
i've managed to stay off cigarettes for two solid years but i got "hooked"
again in late 2005.

now, quitting smoke first time was an easy affair: i was nauseated by smoking, i couldn't finish cigarettes, so one day i decided to quit altogether and had no trouble with it at all.

now it's a lot harder. i think about quitting everyday and everyday i buy a new packet of fags.

smoking=CRAP
gaetano
spoon bender
spoon bender

Postby Sock OR Muffin? on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:13 pm

bigc wrote: Liar.

Shit, she had one last month. I forgot.
Sock OR Muffin?

Postby rocker654 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:47 pm

copower wrote:oh and now i have a question,

do you really start feeling better a day after you quit?

i've heard yes and no, but i am in no position to succumb to testing the theory myself.

explain you guniea pigs....

Actually, I started feeling worse after I quit back in 2002. I'm dead serious.

Starting again hasn't helped me feel any better, although I have had a single cig today.

Maybe I'll see how far this goes...
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654

Postby The Code is Almighty on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:51 pm

rocker654 wrote:
copower wrote:oh and now i have a question,

do you really start feeling better a day after you quit?

i've heard yes and no, but i am in no position to succumb to testing the theory myself.

explain you guniea pigs....

Actually, I started feeling worse after I quit back in 2002. I'm dead serious.

Starting again hasn't helped me feel any better, although I have had a single cig today.

Maybe I'll see how far this goes...

It takes about 3-4 days.
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:52 pm

I have never smoked, but I like the smell of cigarettes.

I think it has something to do with the fact that many of the best people I've ever known have smoked. And that smoking (by others) has usually accompanied the creative work that I have done.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Marsupialist on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:21 pm

Sock OR Muffin? wrote:
same wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
same wrote:I work with a girl who smokes, heavily. She takes about one, ten-minute smoke brake every hour and a half. Sometimes this coincides with her eating-brake making it about 20 minutes. All told, she spends about 30-40 minutes of her shift smoking. It makes us get out late and makes my job harder because I have to deal with all the customers while she's smoking (petty, I know, but night after night it gets to you). Tonight I told her, "Look, we're closed, we're running behind, and I want to get the fuck out of here. Can you please wait until we're done and punched out to have a smoke?" and she glared at me and was a total cunt for the rest of the night. I don't mind if you smoke, but please people, don't be a fucking ass about it. Have the humilty to not let your bad habit become other people's burden.

I'm assuming its only the two of you? Are you working food or something?

Yes it's only the two of us, and it's a very busy cafe/bakery. So if any of you think I'm the prick for bitching about this it's obvious it's been a long time since you've worked worked in a fast-paced food service environment. Lucky you.

I've never been a smoker and experienced many times when the rest of the people I worked with had to stop seven times a shift for a smoke while I ran an entire fucking kitchen during a dinner rush. Smoking is crap and some smokers can be crap. I'm guess I'm a cunt as well?

CRAP

My goodness. I can't imagine having to work and interact with other humans and them not worrying about how their actions affected ME and what I was doing at all times. What were they thinking?
They actually went out for a cigarette? When it wasn't a good time for YOU? Some nerve on those people.
I hope you straightened that out and they come and ask you if it's ok to like, do stuff now.
Everyone on this planet, Earth I'm talking about...everyone hates being around people like you. Ever notice that?
Marsupialist
corporal
corporal

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:15 pm

I think the problem here is not that your co-workers were smoking, but that when someone takes a break, shit goes to all hell. Hire someone else! The food business is pretty tough, and could be as labor intensive as some construction jobs I've had, though it paid much less. I definitely could not sit through a shift in my old job without a cigarette break. You ought to start smoking just to start taking breaks as well. its a weird Catch-22, but it works.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby same on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:28 pm

Marsupialist wrote:Everyone on this planet, Earth I'm talking about...everyone hates being around people like you. Ever notice that?

No. I have a lot of friends.

And I'm not ready to die a long, bed-ridden death simply so I can take breaks. I also don't think a business should have to hire more people simply because someone's bad habit is getting in the way of their work. I work with a lot of smokers and none of them are annoying about it like this particular girl. She takes long and frequent breaks. I've never even noticed when the other six people I work with smoke because they do it tactfully. I guess it's not this girl's smoking that I even have a problem with, it's that she's shitty about it.
same

Postby Andrew L. on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:42 pm

If smoking were a good habit, I wouldn't be so happy to have successfully quit. But maybe that's just a subjective, personal argument. I guess I should look into the objective science some day to get the truth.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby alpha80 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:02 am

Crap. No matter what you're smoking.
Never smoked tobacco.
and I have mega-waffles for herb.......

....but....... :)

I quit rolling up w/ cigar paper over 2 years ago! :D :D :D

Just Zig Zags, Clubs, and glassware for now. :D

Hopefully, when I'm 30 or something, I'll only vaporize or eat it. 8)

Smoking=crap
alpha80
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby heather on Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:08 am

steve wrote:

You sound like a total cunt all right.

keep your addictions to yourself-- then i don't care (unless you're my boyfriend and then i do get angry about the cancer thing.) when your addiction effects my job then you are an asshole. pretty simple. that guy was totally right and way nicer than i would have been. if someone needed to have a drink once EVERY hour-ish during work for 10 goddamn minutes (to maintain) while everyone else had to answer the calls that were not being answered by said addict, wait on customers that were not attended to... it would never be acceptable. i don't care what you do to yourself, smoke, drink, partake in the hippie weed, talk on your cell phone while you're driving, but the second your car comes into my lane you're CRAP. wait until you get home, then you can indulge in your addictions all you like-- internet poker, computer video games, myspace, your fucking email...

oh this was about smoking...
whatever-- as long as it doesn't directly affect me-- it's your business. if i am out in the world i expect to see other people smoking. don't care. in my car, while i eat, at a rock show. don't care.

i am crazy about blow-pops (keep your comments to yourself) and my dentist is pissed, but i don't take a 10 minute break every hour to have one, nor would anyone let me. i wait until i am in the car to have one. just like smoking i can't have a blow-pop while i am seating the house or kicking someone out of the theater while i am working.

not crap? i think that is what i said, sort of.
looking forward to new projects by peter sotos, dr kay redfield jamison, lauren weedman, daido moriyama, loretta lux, jack mcbrayer, kim deal, rory kennedy, alex prager, jen davis, bracha l ettinger, martha plimpton, nina nastasia, matt besser
heather
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Postby steve on Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:26 am

heather wrote:i am crazy about blow-pops (keep your comments to yourself) and my dentist is pissed, but i don't take a 10 minute break every hour to have one, nor would anyone let me.

If my job allows me to take breaks, and I take them, then fuck anybody who says I can't smoke on them. It's my break, and I'm smoking if I want to. If you think I shouldn't be taking those breaks just to smoke, then go fuck yourself. The only reason it matters at all is that smokers aren't allowed to smoke on the job. This encourages them to take the breaks they're entitled to so they can smoke on them.

It's a manufacured problem.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby matthew on Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:33 am

steve wrote:
heather wrote:i am crazy about blow-pops (keep your comments to yourself) and my dentist is pissed, but i don't take a 10 minute break every hour to have one, nor would anyone let me.

If my job allows me to take breaks, and I take them, then fuck anybody who says I can't smoke on them. It's my break, and I'm smoking if I want to. If you think I shouldn't be taking those breaks just to smoke, then go fuck yourself. The only reason it matters at all is that smokers aren't allowed to smoke on the job. This encourages them to take the breaks they're entitled to so they can smoke on them.

Nice rhetoric, Mr. Albini.
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby connor on Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:57 am

I love to smoke but if I ever became a for-real smoker, my mother would cry. My dad might even cry. Therefore I am not a smoker.
deep.BTUz wrote:I'm into girls, physical fitness and real estate.

Ya'know actual accomplishments.
connor
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:03 pm

steve wrote:

True, but if you knowingly take a break when it will make life hell for your co-worker or simply need a cigarette so bad that you aren't aware that it's an inconvenient time for you to take your cigarette break, then you are a poor co-worker and quite possibly a selfish prick.

I have no problem with people smoking--anywhere at all, except a moving vehicle I am inside--but I think it's ludicrous for smokers to assume that the whole world must reconfigure itself to indulge their addiction.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby steve on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:20 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:True, but if you knowingly require employees to leave to smoke when it will make life hell for your co-worker, then you are a poor co-worker and quite possibly a selfish prick.

I have no problem with people smoking--anywhere at all, except a moving vehicle I am inside--but I think it's ludicrous for non-smokers to assume that the whole world must reconfigure itself to indulge their preference.

FYP.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap