Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Whether it's you or someone else...

CRAP
76%
NOT CRAP
24%

Total votes : 151

Postby same on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:10 pm

steve wrote:If my job allows me to take breaks, and I take them, then fuck anybody who says I can't smoke on them. It's my break, and I'm smoking if I want to. If you think I shouldn't be taking those breaks just to smoke, then go fuck yourself. The only reason it matters at all is that smokers aren't allowed to smoke on the job. This encourages them to take the breaks they're entitled to so they can smoke on them.

For the record, the job in question does not allow 10 minute breaks every hour. It's up to the employee to use their good judgement when it comes to when they take their smoke breaks and for how long.
same
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Marsupialized on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:16 pm

same wrote:
steve wrote:If my job allows me to take breaks, and I take them, then fuck anybody who says I can't smoke on them. It's my break, and I'm smoking if I want to. If you think I shouldn't be taking those breaks just to smoke, then go fuck yourself. The only reason it matters at all is that smokers aren't allowed to smoke on the job. This encourages them to take the breaks they're entitled to so they can smoke on them.

For the record, the job in question does not allow 10 minute breaks every hour. It's up to the employee to use their good judgement when it comes to when they take their smoke breaks and for how long.

If they are taking them and nobody fires them for taking them, then they are allowed.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby heather on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:24 pm

steve wrote:
heather wrote:i am crazy about blow-pops (keep your comments to yourself) and my dentist is pissed, but i don't take a 10 minute break every hour to have one, nor would anyone let me.

If my job allows me to take breaks, and I take them, then fuck anybody who says I can't smoke on them. It's my break, and I'm smoking if I want to. If you think I shouldn't be taking those breaks just to smoke, then go fuck yourself. The only reason it matters at all is that smokers aren't allowed to smoke on the job. This encourages them to take the breaks they're entitled to so they can smoke on them.

It's a manufacured problem.

you can smoke all you like on your break. you are allowed a 30 minute break for every 7.5 hours you work in illinois. you are not entitled to take a 10 minute break every hour so you can feed your nicotine addiction. nothing encourages people to smoke except their need to smoke. if you don't have the ability to work an entire hour a without taking a break then you should move to canada and join a band. the government might even pay you -canadian money- to make canadian music and you can smoke until a giant tumor bursts in you chest. your decision- not mine. i'll even let you smoke around me!

once again, you are not entitled to take a 10 minute break after working for 75minutes straight. what the balls-- it's a job. suck it up.

hardworking folks in most american cities are not allowed to smoke WHILE they are working. if you have a problem with that then you should argue that point, but know that no one is "entitled" to take a break every hour. unless a person was lucky enough to be born into a wealthy family, then you have to get a job. and you know, working, not so hard. i had a guy have a heart attack in front of me friday. he vommitted, fell on the floor and lost his pulse. it was my "job" to make sure he was taken care of by a medical professional. i did it and went back to work.

and steve, what is up with the swearing already? too much i think.
looking forward to new projects by peter sotos, dr kay redfield jamison, lauren weedman, daido moriyama, loretta lux, jack mcbrayer, kim deal, rory kennedy, alex prager, jen davis, bracha l ettinger, martha plimpton, nina nastasia, matt besser
heather
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Postby tommydski on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:59 pm

I quit this year after a decade of smoking. I was pretty much forced to quit since I had bronchitis for much several months and honest to god it did feel like it was killing me. It occurs to me I would probably be able to afford a house by now on the money I spent on a habit that has made me pretty ill. CRAP CRAP CRAP basically.

I wish everyone would be courteous about their smoking though. I really do. For the last two years I smoked I decided that I wasn't going to smoke in public places at all. I mean if I was absolutely paralytic in a club I guess I still smoked indoors a couple of times but these were isolated incidents. At the end of the day it's a silly fucking habit as I mentioned above and you should go out of your way to be as conscientious about your smoking as you can.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby steve on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:30 pm

same wrote:For the record, the job in question does not allow 10 minute breaks every hour. It's up to the employee to use their good judgement when it comes to when they take their smoke breaks and for how long.

So, your problem is that your adjudgment of your co-worker's break is that it is ill-timed. Your co-worker has judged that when he wants a smoke is a perfectly good time to take a break. Sounds like it's his call. Well-bowled, smoker.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby chet on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:39 pm

heather wrote:...then you should move to canada and join a band. the government might even pay you -canadian money- to make canadian music and you can smoke until a giant tumor bursts in you chest. your decision- not mine. i'll even let you smoke around me!

Can someone please explain to me how you go about getting one of these rock band "grants" in Canada I keep hearing about on this board? I could use a new telecaster and a half stack, after all...
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby same on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:07 pm

steve wrote:
same wrote:For the record, the job in question does not allow 10 minute breaks every hour. It's up to the employee to use their good judgement when it comes to when they take their smoke breaks and for how long.

So, your problem is that your adjudgment of your co-worker's break is that it is ill-timed. Your co-worker has judged that when he wants a smoke is a perfectly good time to take a break. Sounds like it's his call.

Not that it's ill-timed as much as it's too long and frequent. And if we all acted on every impulse and desire we had while at our jobs we'd all be fired, or at least hated by our coworkers.
same

Postby Chapter Two on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:12 pm

I had TB. I have a permanent scar in each lung. I should not be smoking. Yet I eat up Regal like they are food. I should vote not crap considering, yet I know it is crap, like all addictive useless substances.

Smoking is crap.
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Marsupialist on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:25 pm

same wrote:
steve wrote:

So, your problem is that your adjudgment of your co-worker's break is that it is ill-timed. Your co-worker has judged that when he wants a smoke is a perfectly good time to take a break. Sounds like it's his call.

Not that it's ill-timed as much as it's too long and frequent. And if we all acted on every impulse and desire we had while at our jobs we'd all be fired, or at least hated by our coworkers.

I'm pretty sure your co-workers hate you already
Marsupialist
corporal
corporal

Postby Ishmael on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:32 pm

I know I'd hate Marspamialized a lot less if he didn't post 30 times a day.

Same with that spammed fly.
You can catch more flies with shit than you can with honey
Ishmael
fran
fran

Postby Marsupialist on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:53 pm

Ishmael wrote:I know I'd hate Marspamialized a lot less if he didn't post 30 times a day.

I spend 50% of each day sitting and waiting for flights in airports, there's only so many magazines one can read. Deal with it.
Marsupialist
corporal
corporal

Postby Chapter Two on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:21 pm

Ishmael wrote:I know I'd hate Marspamialized a lot less if he didn't post 30 times a day.

Both of these people are part of the reason I am here every day. Squeek up, Ishmael.
Chapter Two

Postby Eierdiebe on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:47 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
STF wrote:They've banned smoking in bars [in Maine], which is total CRAP because smoking + drinking is definitely NOT CRAP.

They just did the same thing yesterday in Idaho, but under the guise of a "restaurant" smoking ban. However, if a bar serves up a ten-year old bag of pretzels or a pickled egg, the bar will pretty much fall within the definition of a restaurant.

It's pretty unbelievable legislation to me. Where are you, tobacco lobby? Is it possible that I might come to miss the halcyon days of Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond?

i just noticed this, Bradley.

hilarious, as they say.
Eierdiebe
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby mega therion on Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:50 pm

Tastes like shit and smells like a fart. Crap.
mega therion
Trygve Halvdan Lie
Trygve Halvdan Lie

Re: Habit: smoking

Postby matthew on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:17 am

Dylan wrote:I know a lot of you smoke, but I'm curious whether you think it's crap anyway.

I used to be a hardcore smoker- a pack and a half of Marlboro Mediums a day. I sporadically indulge when no one is looking these days, but I have no desire to ever pick up the pack and half addiction I once had ever again. A butt here or there is innocuous, but smoking habitually on a daily basis is nasty and unhealthy.

once in a long while- not crap
daily- crap
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby a. james on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:14 am

Chapter Two wrote:Both of these people are part of the reason I am here every day. Squeek up, Ishmael.

thanks C2.

and Ishmael, fuck you. get the name right, chump.

in other news, i want a cigarette.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby lemur68 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:26 am

that damned fly wrote:

Well you did resurrect all them two-year-old threads last night.... ;)
lemur68

Postby a. james on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:31 am

lemur68 wrote:
that damned fly wrote:

Well you did resurrect all them two-year-old threads last night.... ;)

yeah, i was suffering from insomnia and bored shitless. would've just gone for a walk but it was cold as hell.

besides, some of those deserved a bump.

giving someone shit for posting on a message board is kind of stupid. kind of really stupid.

what's worse, me or trolls?
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby matthew on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:11 pm

copower wrote:oh and now i have a question,

do you really start feeling better a day after you quit?

i've heard yes and no, but i am in no position to succumb to testing the theory myself.

explain you guniea pigs....

I think it depends on how hooked you are and your metabolism, among other things. For me, I literally stopped the habit one day in the summer of 2000 and said to myself "I quit", though like I said I've smoked a cigarette here and there since. I don't recall feeling "withdrawal" at all- perhaps the metabolic factor? I dunno. What I know is that you just have to make a firm decision to quit if indeed you want to quit.
matthew

Postby Ishmael on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:25 pm

that damned fly wrote:what's worse, me or trolls?

Trolls- occasionally amusing.

You- boring jagoff.

Trolls win.
Ishmael
fran
fran

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap