Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Re: Band: The Karl Hendricks Trio

Postby jonsolomon on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 pm

The set is now up on WFMU's Free Music Archive, minus the Neil Young cover.

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Karl_ ... ic_111012/
jonsolomon
boris spassky
boris spassky

Postby tallchris on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:36 pm

People don't talk enough about The World Says, the only(?) Karl Hendricks Rock Band album. Goddamn, what a great record. Seems like it kind of slipped through the cracks.

Really excited to see them three times in the next few months.
tallchris

Postby eephour on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:19 pm

jonsolomon wrote:The set is now up on WFMU's Free Music Archive, minus the Neil Young cover.

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Karl_ ... ic_111012/

I had to bookmark this one:

eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby jacobwilliam on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:59 pm

I feel like a fucking asshole for not knowing this band along time ago. Holy shit did I get blown away by their set at the BBQ.
jacobwilliam
bobcat
bobcat

Postby ERawk on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:15 pm

I was sitting with 'Sup before they were supposed to play. He was worried about their lateness/being a no-show but it turned out they were within very close confines and overall the BBQ didn't suffer. I think Jon Solomon was the one in touch with them, giving us updates on where they were. When they showed up, did their best to set up ASAP and I think they even shred a song or two to at least make up for their lateness. From what I can tell, they handled the situation with a lot of class and mitigated to the best of their ability.

I bought the LPs from Karl and told him they were a lot of fun.

ETA: I was just looking at the song titles from The Adult Section and A Gesture of Kindness. Is this man my male spirit animal?
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 am

It threw us off schedule, which was a bummer because we were proud of being exactly on time and I was maybe pissed but then they were great and super awesome nice guys and whatever it's just a half hour and all's wonderful in the world
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby jonsolomon on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 am

ERawk wrote:I was sitting with 'Sup before they were supposed to play. He was worried about their lateness/being a no-show but it turned out they were within very close confines and overall the BBQ didn't suffer. I think Jon Solomon was the one in touch with them, giving us updates on where they were. When they showed up, did their best to set up ASAP and I think they even shred a song or two to at least make up for their lateness. From what I can tell, they handled the situation with a lot of class and mitigated to the best of their ability.

I bought the LPs from Karl and told him they were a lot of fun.

ETA: I was just looking at the song titles from The Adult Section and A Gesture of Kindness. Is this man my male spirit animal?

Oh, that was very stressful for me. I had to duck out of The Family Ghost mid-set to pace up and down Lawrence looking frequently at my wristwatch when their promised, quite tight ETA passed.

Thanks to all who helped get Karl et al set up and ready to deliver rock with little delay!
jonsolomon
boris spassky
boris spassky

Postby placeholder on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:34 pm

NOT CRAP!

I'd never seen them and am gripped to have caught their set on Sunday. I thought our load-out was going to make me miss it! They were great, of course.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby eephour on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Did they play Thrasher?
eephour

Postby tallchris on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 pm

eephour wrote:Did they play Thrasher?

Nadda, though they did play that in Pittsburgh last month when HTHRLVSSKWM played with 'em.
tallchris

Postby Carl on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:54 pm

The BBQ set was as follows:

The Men's Room at the Airport
The Adult Section
Running Like a Girl
Smartypants
Surrender on Demand
Hold On, Cool Breeze

ERawk wrote:ETA: I was just looking at the song titles from The Adult Section and A Gesture of Kindness. Is this man my male spirit animal?

Assume yes and start collecting...
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Jodi S. on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Carl wrote:The Men's Room at the Airport

For more than a year, every time I walk through a terminal, this song starts up in my head.

When KHT played with Heather Loves Silkworm in NJ, I told Karl that my favorite game to play was "Make Up Your Own Karl Hendricks Song Titles." Try it sometime.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Carl on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Jodi S. wrote:

For more than a year, every time I walk through a terminal, this song starts up in my head.

When KHT played with Heather Loves Silkworm in NJ, I told Karl that my favorite game to play was "Make Up Your Own Karl Hendricks Song Titles." Try it sometime.

One of my fond memories of Paul's CDs (now Sound Cat Records) was the way discussions among the staff would find their way into Karl's songs. "I Don't Need a Hippie (To Tell Me How To Talk To My Cat)" was something Jason Baldinger said about a yoga CD. "I Think I Forgot Something...My Pants" (named by Karl's then very young daughter) starts with a line Paul said when offered a donut. "Sure, give the fat guy a donut." Probably a few others, especially when Randy Costanza was on staff...

The employees at Paul's kept changing (aside from Karl), but the conversations were always priceless.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby tallchris on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Carl wrote:
Jodi S. wrote:

One of my fond memories of Paul's CDs (now Sound Cat Records) was the way discussions among the staff would find their way into Karl's songs. "I Don't Need a Hippie (To Tell Me How To Talk To My Cat)" was something Jason Baldinger said about a yoga CD. "I Think I Forgot Something...My Pants" (named by Karl's then very young daughter) starts with a line Paul said when offered a donut. "Sure, give the fat guy a donut." Probably a few others, especially when Randy Costanza was on staff...

The employees at Paul's kept changing (aside from Karl), but the conversations were always priceless.

I now think Karl needs to put together an annotated collection of his lyrics.
tallchris

Postby jonsolomon on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:43 pm

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/ ... -hendricks

I have set up a fundraiser to help our friend Karl Hendricks defer medical expenses as he recovers from oral cancer. Please share the above link and if you so choose, the following information:

For over 20 years Pittsburgh's Karl Hendricks has been not only a good friend, but one of my favorite musicians. I'm not alone in either of these regards.

Karl has personally served as an inspiration to me as a dad, a writer and a small business owner as Karl's the individual who keeps the excellent Sound Cat Records running smoothly.

He's a quiet guy, not one to draw attention to himself and certainly not a person who is comfortable asking for help in this fashion.

His friends however aren't as reserved. That's why I am writing these words today.

In short: Karl Hendricks has oral cancer. He is working to get better, but it is going to be a long road to recovery.

If you would like to make a financial contribution to Team Hendricks, you can do so using this site. This fundraiser is being done with his consent.

With Karl unable to work this summer as he mends, times are tight in his household and if you've ever appreciated what Karl has done to better your own life, please consider passing some money his way.

There will be at least three benefit shows for Karl and his family you are encouraged to attend and spread the word about.

A series of rare items will also be auctioned off to benefit Karl around this time.

Friday, August 22
Brillobox (21+)
Pittsburgh, PA
8:00 pm ET
$10/door - if you wish to donate more you will be able to.
-----------------------
Line Forms
Tim Midyett (Bottomless Pit/Silkworm)
DAMA/LIBRA
Andy Cohen (Bottomless Pit/Silkworm)
The Gotobeds
Carousel

2590 N High Street (21+)
Columbus, OH
8:00 pm ET door : 9:00 pm ET show
$7
-----------------------
Marcy Mays (Scrawl)
Sue Harshe (Scrawl/Ft Shame)
Andy Cohen (Bottomless Pit/Silkworm)
Tim Midyett (Bottomless Pit/Silkworm)
Kyle Sowash
Lizard McGee (Earwig)
Ron House
Lou Poster
+ more to be announced.

Saturday September 27
Modern Formations
Pittsburgh, PA
8:00 pm ET
$7/sliding scale
-----------------------
Readings by:
Jason Baldinger
Kris Collins
Jerome Crooks
Lori Jakiela
Jeff Martin
Dave Newman
Bobby Pajich
Scott Silsbe
Hosted by Red Bob

Karl's short story chapbook "Stan Getz Isn't Coming Back" will be repressed in an edition of 100 copies for this reading.

Thank you very much.

Jon Solomon
July 2014
Last edited by jonsolomon on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonsolomon
boris spassky
boris spassky

Postby Devin D. Dixon on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:04 am

Hey. I won't be able to make any of the shows, or the reading, but I would really dig a copy of Karl's chapbook. Can I ship somebody some amount of money or good vibes to get me one? Seriously, just send me a Paypal address and I'll ship you whatever amount of cash you ask for. I would be best pleased if most of the money went to Karl. Thanks!
Devin D. Dixon
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Mason on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:41 am

Devin D. Dixon wrote:Hey. I won't be able to make any of the shows, or the reading, but I would really dig a copy of Karl's chapbook. Can I ship somebody some amount of money or good vibes to get me one? Seriously, just send me a Paypal address and I'll ship you whatever amount of cash you ask for. I would be best pleased if most of the money went to Karl. Thanks!

Same here, actually.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Carl on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 pm

The response to Jon's fundraising appeal is moving.
Carl

Postby Devin D. Dixon on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:30 pm

Hey! I see that my oldest bestest Lou Poster is on the Columbus show with Tim and Andy. This is awesome and appropriate. We covered KHT's "Some Girls Like Cigarettes" in our first band together. Now I really with I could be there.
Devin D. Dixon
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap