3%

Total votes : 32

Re: Band: The Karl Hendricks Trio

Postby Carl on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Pittsburgh mensch Dan Allen passes along this update from Karl:
A thank you message from Karl Hendricks, 7/7/14

Posted by Dan Allen on July 9th, 2014

Hello everyone,

Karl sent this message later in the evening of 7/7. I wanted to be sure everyone had a chance to read it. I apologize if this is a duplicate message for some of you, but I wanted to be sure all of you had a chance to hear from him.

Thanks very much for your generosity,

Dan

"Thank you so much for donating to the "Help Karl Hendricks" fundraiser. I knew that Jon and many other friends (Dan, Corey, Kyle, Bela, Jason, and probably some others I don't even know about) were working of organizing fundraising efforts for me and my family, but I was unprepared for all of the support I received today. The donations, the encouraging messages, the kind words about me on Facebook--it was overwhelming.

Even though, as some have mentioned, I'm not a great sharer of information about myself, I should say something about how I'm doing. I was in the hospital for six weeks, during which I had three surgeries, to remove the cancer and reconstruct my face. After complications from the first surgery led to the necessity for two more, the hospital stay ended up being longer than anyone expected, but I was finally able to come home about a month ago. Since then, I've been healing and trying to get stronger. It feels to me like my progress is slow, but there are some positive developments. Just this past week, I've been able to start drinking liquids by mouth again and to start talking more. But I still have probably some months to go before I'm past this: six weeks of radiation treatments which will be starting soon, with more surgery probably after that.

So, this help is welcome now. As many of you in Pittsburgh probably know, I've been able to keep my store, Sound Cat Records, open during this time. Jason and Bob have been doing an excellent job running the store while I've been unable to work, but with the extra staff, there hasn't been enough money for me to pay myself for the past couple of months. Also, even though I am lucky to have pretty good health insurance through Megan, the medical bills are building up, whether it is for doctor visits or tests from March (before our insurance started) or for necessary things the insurance simply won't cover.

Your help, then, is going to help me keep my business going and get a handle on the medical bills, along with keeping the Hendricks household afloat during this time when I don't have an income. I have been feeling shy about asking for help--after all, I still am not as needy as some. But I do need some help, and with so many people being so generous to me and my family, it would be silly, if not ungrateful, for me to say "I'm not worthy." Instead, I'll again say thank you, and bless you!

Sincerely, Karl"
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby jonsolomon on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:34 am

Over $24K raised since Monday.

The Hendricks family has been completely George Bailey'd.

Incredible.
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

Postby Carl on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Jon, thank you again for organizing this. Another update from Karl:
The fundraiser "Help Karl Hendricks" has been going for almost a week now, and I can only describe my response to all of the support as overwhelmed. So many people have donated (and have sent really supportive messages on the site and elsewhere), I almost don't know what to say. But what's worth saying again is "thank you."

If you've seen my previous email (which Dan also posted as an update, if you didn't), you probably know about where I'm at with my cancer. I'm about two and half months in, and though day to day, it feels like progress is very slow, I guess I have come a long way in that time. Tomorrow, I start radiation treatments which is one more step in the process of hopefully beating this.

Anyway, the support I and my family have received (on Give Forward and just in general) is an incredible help. I feel much more certain now that I'll be able to tackle the extra medical bills and not get behind in our household bills, along with keeping my business Sound Cat Records up and running (with Jason and Bob doing a great job doing that) until I'm able to get back to work. What a gift those things are. Thanks again to my friend Jon for setting up the fundraiser, because in a world where so many need so much, I would certainly not want to put myself forward as in special need of assistance. But the fact that so many people felt enough of a connection to my situation to offer assistance to me and my family is a blessing. So I can't say it enough: thank you!

Sincerely,
Karl
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby jonsolomon on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:18 am

Thank you all so much for your support of Karl Hendricks this past week. The response has been incredible, overwhelming and heart-warming.

For those who are unable to make a financial contribution, there's another important way you can help. If you blog/write about Karl's situation and link to this unique URL, GiveForward will make a financial contribution for each post.

Just make sure to email a link to your piece our way so we can make sure it gets credited accordingly.

Use this:

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/ ... paign=karl

Thanks!

Jon
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

Postby jonsolomon on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:01 pm

The location of the August 23 benefit show for Karl Hendricks in Columbus, Ohio has been moved to Little Rock Bar (944 N. 4th Street).

https://www.facebook.com/events/3203789 ... &source=49

Here's the lineup:

MARCY MAYS (Scrawl)
SUE HARSHE (Scrawl/Ft. Shame)
ANDY COHEN (Silkworm/Bottomless Pit)
TIM MIDYETT (Silkworm/Bottomless Pit)
KYLE SOWASH (The Kyle Sowashes)
LIZARD MCGEE (Earwig)
RON HOUSE (Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments, Counter Intuits)
LOU POSTER (Grafton, Drift Mouth)

9 PM SHOW
21+.
$7 suggested donation.
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

Postby Carl on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:29 am

Ron House! Who better to help tell cancer to fuck off?
Carl

Postby jonsolomon on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Pittsburgh benefit show Facebook RSVP action:

https://www.facebook.com/events/518263298319132/
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

Postby jonsolomon on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Mike Budai poster for the Pittsburgh benefit. Holy moly.
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

Postby jonsolomon on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:55 am

The first two benefit shows for Mr. Karl Hendricks are tomorrow (Pittsburgh) and Saturday (Columbus).

Incredible bills each night. Articles below. Hope to see some of you at Brillobox.

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/ ... id=1772576

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/events/mu ... hendricks/

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/20 ... 1408210177

http://www.columbusalive.com/content/st ... e-vet.html
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

Postby Carl on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Karl's posted another update on the GiveForward site. You can read it in full here, but I want to quote one bit:
I want to take a moment here to make a special note of thanks to my friend Jon Solomon, who set up this fundraiser. I appreciate all he's done to ask for help on my behalf.

Jon is a mensch.
Carl

Postby NewDarkAge on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Carl wrote:Jon is a mensch.

Truth. I am glad to call Jon a friend.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tmidgett on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:09 pm

Carl wrote:Karl's posted another update on the GiveForward site. You can read it in full here, but I want to quote one bit:
I want to take a moment here to make a special note of thanks to my friend Jon Solomon, who set up this fundraiser. I appreciate all he's done to ask for help on my behalf.

Jon is a mensch.

Seriously, people, you're keeping open Karl's excellent record store and giving him some options re ongoing medical care.

It's a great service to a great guy and family.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby jonsolomon on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:11 pm

I drove out to Pittsburgh this weekend to see Karl and attend the benefit show on Friday - which was a long, wonderful night. Thank you to Dan Allen for making it happen. More than twice the room's capacity x cover charge was raised for the Hendricks family. I know Karl was apprehensive about attending the benefit, but he did come by for much of the show and people were real glad to see him.

Musical highlights:

-Andy Cohen turned in a bunch of solo debuts plus a lovely cover of "The Night Has No Eyes" and even performed "Don't Make Plans This Friday."

-Line Forms put on one of the best First Show Ever sets I've personally witnessed. Great, churning, propulsive rock. Songs were long but always with purpose. Get them to the BBQ next year. I insist.

Tim Midyett's portion of the evening included many of the same songs he played at the K's Dugout bar brunch jam, plus a cover of Silkworm's "Bones" that has multiple people up front in tears.

-Dama/Libra was impossibly late and fairly astounding. Not sure the room was ready for what they do, however. Ended their set with Joel Phelps trying to get the room to chant "Karl Hendricks! [clap clap clapclapclap]" in unison.

-The Gotobeds were terrific, racing through 5.5 numbers in under half an hour. If you haven't streamed their LP coming out on 12XU, get on that. It is what I am listening to presently.

-Had to split one song into Carousel's finale due to general exhaustion. By this point it was 1:30 am ET.

I brought 10 of the Budai show silkscreens home to sell/auction for the cause.

Will figure out the best way to handle that shortly.

Now I must some towels out of the dryer.

Jon
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

Postby Maurice on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:18 pm

jonsolomon wrote:-Dama/Libra was impossibly late and fairly astounding. Not sure the room was ready for what they do, however. Ended their set with Joel Phelps trying to get the room to chant "Karl Hendricks! [clap clap clapclapclap]" in unison.

Yes--occasionally I'd turn around from my up-front position (best spot for FM bootsykronos's neutron-star-grade bass) and see people moving farther and farther back. They missed out.

Great seeing yinz, Jon.
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Jodi S. on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:30 am

jonsolomon wrote:-Dama/Libra was impossibly late and fairly astounding. Not sure the room was ready for what they do, however.

Same reaction here in NYC, for the most part. I can't get enough of them, but hey, I'm the target demo.

Salut, Karl!
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Carl on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 am

jonsolomon wrote:-Andy Cohen turned in a bunch of solo debuts plus a lovely cover of "The Night Has No Eyes" and even performed "Don't Make Plans This Friday."

!
!!
!!!

That's a perfect song for Andy to sing.
Carl

Postby jonsolomon on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:14 am

The on-line fundraiser to aid Karl Hendricks is two weeks from completion and less than $2K away from the final goal.

Thank you to those who have contributed and helped make this time easier for the Hendricks clan.

If you've been meaning to donate, the window is starting to narrow...

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/ ... -hendricks
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

Postby Carl on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:17 am

The GiveForward campaign Jon set up is just about to end. Almost to 500 supporters today!

Some other stuff is in the pipeline for later this fall...
Carl

Postby jonsolomon on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:36 am

Several of you showed interest in the Karl Hendricks "Stan Getz Isn't Coming Back" chapbook.

I've got 10 of them available now should anyone still like to purchase.

http://shop.comedyminusone.com/collecti ... k-chapbook
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

Postby jonsolomon on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:56 am

The exceptional Mike Budai made a small run of these gorgeous, multi-color silkscreened show posters for last year's Karl Hendricks benefit show featuring Carousel, Line Forms, Tim Midyett, Andy Cohen, The Gotobeds and Dama/Libra.

I have a small stack of these pristine 15"+ x 21"+ gems I'll be auctioning off via eBay with all proceeds going to Karl's family.

The first poster went up today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Budai-Karl ... AUS%3A1123
jonsolomon
jimmy carter
jimmy carter

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap