Yeah, this one time...
51%
No, never. It's always been crap.
49%

Total votes : 59

Re: Slap Bass: Did It Ever Sound Good?

Postby John C3 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Boombats wrote:
that damned fly wrote:the technique of slapping a bass with the thumb and popping strings with your fingers?

was it ever used well?

who?

OK, I'll take the bait. This poll is unscientific (not that it was intended to be) because the EA demographic largely disapproves of the genres of music in which "slap bass" prevails. Go to a prog/funk/fusion/jam/bass oriented forum and the results will be completely different, not because the technique is any more valid but because the readers will inevitably have a favorite band with that bass style.
It's easy to knock slapping here at EA. The technique is out of place in the scenario of indie or whatever folks here are into, thus the notion is ridiculous and a straw-man arguement. It doesn't make sense to play slapstyle in a Shellac rip-off band, now does it?

Your music contains slap bass.
John C3
beng
beng

Postby endofanera on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:55 pm

Boombats wrote:Hello Sock Puppet. I guarantee you are an alias of one of the sore-asses who was dissatisfied that N/C was winning. TD Fly perhaps?

Why would any of these people care that much or feel the need to craft a new account to bolster their side? Youre the only one who seems invested enough in this subject to be a "sore-ass."

In fact, has that damned fly even said he's agin it?

that damned fly, in his only post on this subject wrote:the technique of slapping a bass with the thumb and popping strings with your fingers?

was it ever used well?

who?

These are fairly standard "setting up the C/NC"-type questions. They are not (in my mind, at least) to be presumed as though he is answering in the negative.

Or at least that's not how I hear them.

(Aside: I think he may in fact be agin the slappin and the poppin, but he hasnt said so in this thread.)

Besides, as scott pointed out, we've already done this one. To death, even. Anyone who's a "sore-ass" can go rest their butt in that tub of aloe. It's easier than creating an alias.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby matt_stevens on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:17 pm

Crap!

WF 1... infectious grooves.
matt_stevens
duke ellington
duke ellington

Postby petercobber on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:03 pm

I don't like it, maybe because I can't do it. But I certainly don't think it is crap across the board. It sounds fun at times, and I would be a liar if I said I didn't slap the old E string when I was first learning to play. Slap and pop on a Fender P-bass copy through a Crate bass combo sounds like, well, a Fender P-bass copy through a Crate combo...KeeeRrrapp.

Not Crap for the the Seinfeld into music alone. Although that is probably a keyboard impression of a slap sound.
The band is My Canadian Girlfriend ("MCG") http://www.mycanadiangirlfriend.bandcamp.com
New 6 song record, Shogun, is here for you now.
petercobber
chimp
chimp

Postby thyklopth on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Here's my take on slapbass:

Bootsy-N/C
Level 42-C
Earth Wind&Fire-N/C(September!)
Victor Wooten-C
Daryl Jones(circa Miles Davis"Decoy")-N/C
Tony Levin(Sleepless)-N/C
Flea-C(after Blood/Sugar/Sex...)
Prince: Pop Life-N/C
That backwards bass break on Paul Simon's "Call Me Al"-N/C
My friend Mick-N/C

I guess the N/C's outweigh the C's, but I'm intentionally omitting all of the smooth jizz and clubby early 90's funk which is VAST.
thyklopth
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama

Postby thyklopth on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Not Crap for the the Seinfeld into music alone. Although that is probably a keyboard impression of a slap sound.[/quote]

uh, yeah... probably... :smt021
thyklopth
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama

Postby rashiedgarrison on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:59 pm

Mark King of Level 42.
rashiedgarrison
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Postby scott on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:17 pm

What was that Jane's Addiction song about "ain't nobody leaving"? That was good.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby !stabmooB on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Yo faggz Les Claypoo is like the best basser in the werld! Not Shit

EDIT: Yo and I ddnt evin vote, ha ha suckerz!
Last edited by !stabmooB on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
!stabmooB
convert
convert

Postby Boombats on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:37 pm

endofanera wrote:
Boombats wrote:Hello Sock Puppet. I guarantee you are an alias of one of the sore-asses who was dissatisfied that N/C was winning. TD Fly perhaps?

Why would any of these people care that much or feel the need to craft a new account to bolster their side? Youre the only one who seems invested enough in this subject to be a "sore-ass."

In fact, has that damned fly even said he's agin it?

Yes I believe he has. Right, Fly? Don't be mistaken, I know TD Fly is man enough to state his own opinion. However that poster is brandy new, use your noodle and it's obvious he/she is either an EA'er having a go or some stranger trolling for doody.
As far as my "investment" in slap bass, I haven't put out a DVD or anything so I'm not stressing. If you actually cared I could link you to a fuckload of music I've done that contains no slap whatsoever. I play what's appropriate for the band- I keep my thumb planted squarely on the pickup in the metal band, the reggae band, the indie progpop band, and the gutter blues band. Land sakes, I even use a pick sometimes! Will wonders never cease.

Perhaps the sock puppet, she is you?
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby mrdfnle on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:45 pm

!stabmooB wrote:Yo faggz Les Claypoo is like the best basser in the werld! Not Shit

boring

learn how to spell.
No spiders or Visigoths allowed
I was there: http://www.westchesterrockcity.com
mrdfnle
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby endofanera on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:26 pm

Boombats wrote:Don't be mistaken, I know TD Fly is man enough to state his own opinion.

You do? Then why'd you...?

Eh, never mind.

Boombats wrote:However that poster is brandy new, use your noodle and it's obvious he/she is either an EA'er having a go or some stranger trolling for doody.

We all have to have a first post sometime, and they arent all gems. When I see new posters, I usually assume theyre just new posters.

That said, you seem to have baited your way right into your wish.

!stabmooB wrote:Yo faggz Les Claypoo is like the best basser in the werld! Not Shit

Jesus.

Anyway, your bass-playing skills and versatility dont say as much about your investment or lack thereof in this subject as the fact that youve drawn a line, put yourself on one side of it, and then proceeded to call out others over the issue.

Boombats wrote:Perhaps the sock puppet, she is you?

Or you? You do seem to like the spotlight.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Boombats on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:41 pm

mrdfnle wrote:

boring
learn how to spell.

endofanera wrote:That said, you seem to have baited your way right into your wish.

Jesus.

Man I am wet from laughing, and tempted to let you in on the joke but I think I'll wait until you figure it out for yourself.

endofanera wrote:Anyway, your bass-playing skills and versatility dont say as much about your investment or lack thereof in this subject as the fact that youve drawn a line, put yourself on one side of it, and then proceeded to call out others over the issue.

Really? I don't remember starting this thread. In fact I haven't even said what I think of slap bass although it's probably easy to guess. Only person I'm "calling out" is the noob/alias person. So no lines in the sand here bub.

endofanera wrote:
Boombats wrote:Perhaps the sock puppet, she is you?

Or you? You do seem to like the spotlight.

You seem to like a hand up your bum! Just guessing. Perhaps you prefer being wound up. Like this.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby a. james on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:51 pm

firstly, i never said i was against it. but the places i like it are very few and very far between.

the only guy i can stand to hear it from is larry graham. but unfortunately, i hate his voice. well, i hate it solo. he's good with others.

"thank you(...)" is a dynamite song with some slap.
"unfunky ufo" is another.

almost the same riff between the two of 'em. same key anyway.

but either way...slap bass is crap, with very few not crap waffles in it.

that other guy's not me. ask a moderator. i already changed my name once here, and i haven't posted from that account since maybe a day or two after i took "...fly."
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Boombats on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:54 pm

that damned fly wrote:that other guy's not me. ask a moderator. i already changed my name once here, and i haven't posted from that account since maybe a day or two after i took "...fly."

Forgive me for besmirching your character.
boombats wrote:Don't be mistaken, I know TD Fly is man enough to state his own opinion.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Bambouche on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:07 pm

tmidgett wrote:Larry Graham, who invented it, I think.

Bootsy Collins.

Wilbur "Badass" Bascomb, motherfucker!

"My mind is made up..."
Bambouche
pete maravich
pete maravich

Postby mr.arrison on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:06 am

I don't like most (99%) su-plapping.

When I was a young lad in high school just learning the bass, this guy who played bass with a pick in an REM cover band said some shit to me about my newbie abilities as a bassist, and it infuriated me to the point of wanting to learn as much as I could about bass. I got some records of that Larry guy, some Les Clapfool, and some RHCP shit with that gap-toothed retard Flea and I learned it. I broke many strings and had to put krazy glue on my fingertips, but by golly I learned it. It wasn't easy at first, but once the "tricks" were learned, it was. I even wrote some of my first songs in a proper band playing the "su-plap" bass. I think I played slap bass in a rap band once. Oh shit, I did.

It strikes me now as all a bunch of tricks. Like Eddie Van Halen fingertapping scales and shit. Like Neil Peart drum fills. Like those high notes that Celine Dion or whoever can "hit" Sure some of it is "difficult" but it's just the musical equivalent of masturbating here in 2007.

Waffles for the person who invented it (who'da think to play bass like that??). Waffles for Mike Watt, Larry-what's his name, and some of the Motown slap stuff

CRAP otherwise.

And tweeters in Bass Amps are motherfucking retarded. I guess the slappers of the world have created the need for this "feature" that I abhor. Makes any other bass sound other than slap sound like mid-range scooped potato chip CHINKCHINK sizzle sizzle

And yeah, i'd rather play with a pick or with my fingers than with my thumb popping.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Boombats on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:22 am

mr.arrison wrote:that gap-toothed retard Flea

Fucking hilarious. Fleas sucks cumin seeds out Keidis' cockpiercings

mr.arrison wrote:And tweeters in Bass Amps are motherfucking retarded. I guess the slappers of the world have created the need for this "feature" that I abhor. Makes any other bass sound other than slap sound like mid-range scooped potato chip CHINKCHINK sizzle sizzle

I just ripped the tweeter and crossover out of my friend's Peavey 4x12 and it sounds, well, it still sounds like a Peavey but much better. All those tweeters do is amplify the worst bart of the bass. Fret buzz, string noise, and every mistake. If you've got 10" speakers you don't need that little thing.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Eierdiebe on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:02 am

in general i'd say it's best to err on the side of non-slap. slap bass is often quite whack. whack-ass0shit, in fact,
Eierdiebe
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby bassdriver on Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:55 am

it's just a technique. the question is: does it serve the song? mostly it doesn't. but there are some nice funkadelic, georg clinton, primus, RATM and RHCP songs. I never liked level 42 cos the songs are boring, no matter how [cough!] fantastic the bass lines are.

I always loved to slap the "jesus christ superstar" theme (root to octave to 7 to b9 something) on the bass.

the worst thing are definitely slap-synth-basses!!!!
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap