Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Destroyer?

Crap
36%
Not Crap
64%

Total votes : 44

Postby ergo space pig on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:54 pm

I'm a huge fan of Dan Bejar and Destroyer. not so much of the new album, but it isn't horrible...just a pretty big step down from Your Blues and Rubies
ergo space pig
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby ghosting on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:36 pm

i liked rubies but everything else i've heard has been really meh for me. i wanted to put them on a book-themed mix tape but didn't like the song enough. ah well.
lemur68 wrote:Bees make honey. That's what they do. Make honey, protect the queen, have sex with flowers, and occasionally rip their butt out after stinging a motherfucker.
ghosting
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby Antero on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:10 pm

ergo space pig wrote:I'm a huge fan of Dan Bejar and Destroyer. not so much of the new album, but it isn't horrible...just a pretty big step down from Your Blues and Rubies
The new album sounded like someone was writing Destroyer parody songs, which was really disappointing.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby madmanmunt on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:08 am

Antero wrote:
ergo space pig wrote:I'm a huge fan of Dan Bejar and Destroyer. not so much of the new album, but it isn't horrible...just a pretty big step down from Your Blues and Rubies
The new album sounded like someone was writing Destroyer parody songs, which was really disappointing.

New album is great. All Destroyer songs are Destroyer parody songs.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Andrew. on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:37 am

madmanmunt wrote:
Antero wrote:

This post almost redeems the new album, but the trouble with mediocrity is it takes more than a quip to redeem it. Straight up: new album is pretty weak. Plus side: that GI Joe drummer is AWESOME live. What a kick foot! Boom! Boom! Fuckn great.

Indulgent Dan Bejar story from tonight. Went for some drinks with an old (Alberta) poet friend of mine tonight, in East Vancouver, where we live. I'd burnt said friend Streethawk as part of his birthday package about 10 days ago. Tonight, poet friend tells me he stumbled into his local grocer at 2 in the afternoon this Saturday, uncharacteristically drunk, after being treated for midday drinks in light of his 36th birthday (and, you know, in light of being unemployed and... a poet). So, said friend happens on Bejar in the bread aisle of a small grocer north of Venables and accosts him: "My friend Andrew just burnt me Streethawk and it's so good I can't get "Strike" out of my head--it's so great! Here's my recent chapbook!"

Apparently Bejar put the chapbook in his basket, looking slightly alarmed, and couldn't utter a word as my friend continued, "I know you're just buying bread or whatever! So I won't bother you further."

I see the handsome Bejar ambling down my street regularly. And last Saturday he went home with my drunk friend's poetry chapbook sandwiched between his groceries. Shame about Trouble in Dreams.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Peripatetic on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:08 am

A dude who lives here put out the vinyl of Notorious Lightning and Other Works. He gave me a copy of it at a record show a while back. That record is great. Haven't heard the others, haven't seen him/them live.

Not crap.
rysie wrote:The original dumb shit was so very nearly compressed
Peripatetic
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Re: Band/Artist: DESTROYER

Postby muzorewi's daughter on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Can't believe I like this music.

That new EP is pretty great.
muzorewi's daughter
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Re:

Postby Andrew. on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:46 pm

Andrew. wrote:
madmanmunt wrote:
Antero wrote:

This post almost redeems the new album, but the trouble with mediocrity is it takes more than a quip to redeem it. Straight up: new album is pretty weak.

Trouble in Dreams has grown on me a bit. Still not a fave though.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Antero on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Okay, I still like a lot of his older stuff, but after Your Blues shit went massively downhill.

He's also one of the artists whose decline interferes with enjoyment of his previous work, because he uses the same tropes and techniques on his shitty songs as on his good ones. In the shitty ones, the seams start showing. It suddenly becomes apparent how much he has always relied on trope.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Andrew. on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:43 pm

New album, spring tour, and, uh, searchin for an adjective to describe this video...
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby iembalm on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Wow, that's a great song and a fascinating video.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby soybomb on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:16 am

cant seem to stop listening to Destroyer's new one, "kaputt".

http://younghunting.bandcamp.com
soybomb
ensign
ensign

Postby tipcat on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Kaputt is a near-masterpiece. Wow.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby matthewbarnhart on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:16 am

The tour for this one is gonna be pretty crazy. 8-piece band, horns, V-drums. Sheesh!
matthewbarnhart
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace

Postby Andrew. on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 am

The composition process was much more collaborative on this one, according to Bejar.

When writing the songs on Kaputt, Bejar worked intensively with his Vancouver band, piecing the tracks together using each collaborator's parts. "With Your Blues, I could for the most part sit down and play those songs on a guitar or on the piano," the frontman observes. "Which, for the songs on Kaputt, was more the exception than the rule, so their structure came about it a different kind of way."

For the last 15 years, Vancouver songwriter Dan Bejar has been the primary creative force behind Destroyer, releasing nine LPs plus a smattering of smaller releases. Despite being the band's only constant member, he is quick to dispel the perception that Destroyer is a solo project. "I'm just a singer," he says modestly, sipping from a bottle of Pilsner at the Railway Club in downtown Vancouver. "I really can't play an instrument. I can compose on an instrument and I can come up with parts and I know some chords, but I can't play in a way that's expressive."

When making his latest record, the newly-released Kaputt, Bejar relied on an array of collaborators to help shape the album. He recruited horn players to give the songs a smooth, adult contemporary feel, and overlaid their contributions with a swirling haze of pillowy synths. "I didn't want sounds that had a lot of attack to them," he reflects. "Stuff like that changed the more that other people started playing on the record."

While Kaputt contains some of the most experimental moments of any Destroyer record ― see the 11-minute ambient epic "Bay of Pigs" ― it also showcases Bejar at his most accessible. Opening track "Chinatown" pairs shimmying electro beats with tinkling synth arpeggios and an ultra-catchy refrain, while the title track is bass-heavy, disco-dazzled groove that lasts for six blissful minutes.

"I thought for once in my life I would try to make a pop record, because I don't think I've done that before," he notes. "I'm not sure if that's what this is, but it's something that was in the back of my mind."

Hooky as the tunes are, Bejar is characteristically self-deprecating when discussing the inspiration behind the album. "I wasn't really sure where these songs came from," he explains. "Sometimes they barely seem like songs to me. That's part of the illusion."
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:12 am

Good, candid interview with the man on the new album:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/dan-beja ... yer,50559/
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby ergo space pig on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm

The new album sounds pretty good on a first listen. Bejar is like the only guy in the world who can get away with doing this kind of stuff.
ergo space pig

Postby Andrew. on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 pm

ergo space pig wrote:The new album sounds pretty good on a first listen. Bejar is like the only guy in the world who can get away with doing this kind of stuff.

He's definitely the only artist I follow who can take turns like this and keep me with him.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:15 pm

I like the album, pretty great pop all around. I don't know about some of the Kenny G vibes in spots, though.
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:41 pm

More of this NPR-sanctioned indie-lite stuff. Yet another artist wallowing in lame new-wave ripoffs and '70s soft-rock moves. Why do people keep falling for this stuff?

Then again, I'm not exactly someone who's particularly charitable re: so-called singer-songwriters. So what the hell do I know? Carry on...
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap