Unwound

Crap
4%
Not Crap
96%

Total votes : 218

Re: Band : Unwound

Postby hackthesidesaway on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:00 pm

oh, and the nocturnal habits record is really good.
give it a try, do not expect unwound, but very good record.
excellent cold weather/winter listening.
hackthesidesaway
utility man
utility man

Postby Gibbs on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:05 pm

I'm looking forward to picking up that set but how in the hell does Numero Group not lose money off of this stuff?
Gibbs
assclown
assclown

Postby d.g. on Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:13 am

I sprang for the CD box despite already buying the vinyl ones, mostly because my David Wilcox liner notes were my favorite thing about the box sets and I figured it'd be nice to have it all compiled together. Apparently these should have been sent out by now but the whole lot is stuck in customs....

At $125 a piece I'm sure Numero's doing fine. Considering all the licensing, digitization, and archival work was pretty much already done it was probably a pretty business savvy move to repackage it. Plus it seems like they're close to selling out (they claim more than half were spoken for in the first few days), and mostly all through direct sales to boot.

Vern also has a new thing out here http://www.exoticfever.com/artists.php?id=138

Song up there is more speculative of what post Leaves Unwound may have sounded like than Trosper's stuff. Interestingly recorded and plenty dark. Seems like it would be an obvious move since he's ya know-- the bass player, but pretty cool move to have the bass so up front in the mix.
d.g.
troll
troll

Postby Beetown on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:01 am

d.g. wrote: Apparently these should have been sent out by now but the whole lot is stuck in customs....

damn, well that explains why the date got pushed back 2 weeks on the site to the 19th. very excited to get this since i have no unwound stuff physically.
Beetown
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby thegrandtour on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:41 pm

Unwound is awesome! NOT CRAP.
"I'm a Hawaiian shirt guy, I've made that life decision." -Chris O'Dowd
thegrandtour
scout
scout

Postby cneutron on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:38 pm

Hey, I had Justin on my radio show/podcast recently and I thought it was a pretty good conversation. It occurs to me that people on this thread might want to check it out... so here you go, a good amount of Unwound content here:
Episode 91: Justin Trosper (Unwound, Survival Knife, Nocturnal Habits

stream/download
itunes
stitcher
feed

Fall records and making things far away from people. Making leaves as an analog recording right in the middle of the digital revolution. Soundbreaking and process change , digital as 4 track, and recording with none of the people in the same room, live bands merging, skipping the "getting going" phase, numero group reissues as nerd wish fulfillment, revisiting the discography, outsiders looking back with rose colored glasses, the cult of instant reaction, post-hardcore, legacy and just doing it, two ton boa , touring during election2016 and Unwound touring during 9/11, politics in music and the value of the personal, survival knife: wha' happen?, replikants, blade runner remake Brandt on the leaves tour, last Unwound tour as rocky movie and so much more.

songs played:
Nocturnal Habits – Good Grief
Nocturnal Habits – New Skin

Nocturnal Habits – Ecophilia
Unwound – Dragnalus
Unwound – Terminus

Shellac – the End of Radio (Closing Theme)

"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby crustandcrumb on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:56 am

Indie Rock Confession: The fill at ~5:02 in We Invent You has been making me cringe for 15 years now.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Get dog costumes on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:37 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:Indie Rock Confession: The fill at ~5:02 in We Invent You has been making me cringe for 15 years now.

You know, I was just thinking of asking about Sara Lund's drumming on this page. I've been listening to full albums by this band for the first time, mostly working backward from Leaves Turn Inside You. So far neither of the three of them, actually, really grab me as players, but besides wanting more aggression at certain points I can't really think of anything I'd change. They sound like a unit.
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby crustandcrumb on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Sara is a competent drummer. And actually, in my view, anything short of laying a track down live
is basically simulacrum and/or faux pas. But if you botch a fill like that, fix it.

There's a track on the Gorguts record Colored Sands where John Longstreth rushes a fill just slightly, but to my ears it's glaring. Gets me every time.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:Indie Rock Confession: The fill at ~5:02 in We Invent You has been making me cringe for 15 years now.

I'm a big fan of that whole record and am really curious as to what you are referring to. Like at the end of the song there where the drums go out? I think all the albums I've ever been a part of are full of things like that haha, particularly drum things, but that kind of thing has never really bothered me much, if at all. But I'm curious as to what other people are bothered by I guess. Perhaps its more glaring in what is otherwise entirely competent drumming. I never think much about such things though, just learn to like the mistakes haha. Maybe vocal things, if anything, tend to make me cringe. But such vox things are usually done on purpose by the performer.
SkronkFronkerdale
rodeo clown
rodeo clown

Postby crustandcrumb on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:46 am

Yeah, go to 5:00 which will give you a couple seconds of context, then listen to the fill at 5:02.

phpBB [video]
crustandcrumb

Postby mookie1010 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:55 pm

The recording situation for that record was very different than any of the others - they were doing it themselves and admit that they made mistakes along the way. I'm only speculating here, but I think Sara is an amazing and incredibly creative drummer, and every time I saw unwound she made that more clear. She's one of my all time favorites. If you hear something in that fill that sounds wrong or sloppy, I have to think based on all the evidence I have it was either intentional and designed or just one of those things they chose to live with.
mookie1010
pryor
pryor

Postby eliya on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 pm

It kind of sounds like she was starting (or intended) to play a busier fill, kind of like the one on 4:44, but then decided to play a simple ba-da ba-da fill that has half the strokes. So it's like she's trying to curb the busier fill energy.

I'm into it!
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bernardo on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:16 pm

sounds normal to me
Bernardo

Postby Redline on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:32 pm

The drum fill after the second verse of the Allman Brothers Melissa is far worse.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby J. Burns on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:04 pm

"Yo Sara Lund, let's take these motherfuckers to South Central"
J. Burns

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap