Pitbull: Crap/Not Crap.

Crap.
52%
Not Crap.
48%

Total votes : 64

Frog: Pitbull.

Postby prd on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:00 pm

The good thing about these lovable, friendly, cuddly monster jaws is that they don't bother to bark (or maybe they don't even know how to), the bad thing is they seem genuinely stupid, give a dull stare of an artificial android killer Elon Musk warns about, and despite what their apologists and keepers love to say, no matter how "well trained" they are, they might and -- from time to time -- do snap -- just like most dogs. Only in this particular case, the results hurt more.

The most recent case of this lovable, friendly, cuddly monster jaws snapping took place in one of the local bars, where a woman came to visit the bar owner (her friend) who happened to own a pitbull. Since he was well trained, lovable, friendly and cuddly, he was let off the chain, running around the bar. And as he ran towards the visitor, since everyone knew the visitor knew the owner and the dog knew her, people, including the visitor herself, assumed the dog ran to welcome her. A bitter welcome it was! The dog jumped and cuddled the face of the visitor with a pair of monster jaws.

This is why I will never assume the lazy and dishonest stance of "it's up to the owner" or "it's all training" only to prevent the pitbull-loving idiots from snapping themselves. No, pitbull sucks and so do pitbull owners who stroke and cuddle the dynamite that almost always explodes in somebody else's hands.
prd
sister
sister

Re: Dog: Pitbull.

Postby Tom on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Here are some stats:
64% of fatal attacks between 2011 and 2015 were from pitbulls
https://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/11-year-do ... iteorg.pdf

https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/
80% of dog bites cause no\minor injury

https://www.caninejournal.com/pit-bull-facts/
5% of dogs in the US are pitbulls.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-stati ... a-2016.php
38.5% of bites requiring medical treatment were from pitbulls in a 4 year period.

Pitbulls account for a disproportionate number of deaths and serious injuries. Golden Retrievers or Chihuahua's might be more aggressive, but they apparently don't have the capacity to do nearly as much harm as a pitbull.

Arguments about owners responsibility remind me of the arguments people make to support ownership of semi automatic weapons, albeit the damage from pitbulls is much less severe.

I don't let my kids near them.
circle_ruler wrote:Everything post Mesolithic is hideously decadent and carries the signature of tyranny.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: Frog: Pitbull.

Postby Tom on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm

prd wrote:The good thing about these lovable, friendly, cuddly monster jaws is that they don't bother to bark

Cool! no warning!
circle_ruler wrote:Everything post Mesolithic is hideously decadent and carries the signature of tyranny.
Tom

Re: Frog: Pitbull.

Postby Major on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:07 pm

prd wrote:pitbull sucks

Tom wrote:
prd wrote:The good thing about these lovable, friendly, cuddly monster jaws is that they don't bother to bark

Cool! no warning!

LOL'd
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Model Citizen on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:23 pm

seanurban wrote:They killed their owner and chewed her ribs. It's very rare for a German shepherd to go that far or even attempt to. I'm just talking odds. If you say she shouldn't have owned them, a single woman living near a family farm, then nobody should. All her friends said Bethany was the dogs' bff. (I don't know if they were neutered but I agree they all should be.)

Not trying to pick a fight, but you said those were the only breed able to kill someone. That's what I was taking issue with.

As for odds, I agree a pitbull is more likely to hurt someone, not because they're uniquely evil though but because an abusive idiot is more likely to own a pitbull and they need more training. Pitbulls are banned in the UK. Gangs soon turned to staffies to weaponise instead.

Staffies, known as the nanny dog and rated by the RSPCA as a wonderful dog and a suitable pet for families, have savaged loads of people and newspapers are up in arms about banning them.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfa ... ullterrier

FWIW I'm not saying everyone should go out and get a powerful dog or that powerful dogs can't be dangerous. I'd personally prefer it if dog ownership was way more tightly controlled to reduce abuse and injuries to people. I'd never let my kid approach any random dog, nevermind a pitbull.

prd wrote:The most recent case of this lovable, friendly, cuddly monster jaws snapping took place in one of the local bars, where a woman came to visit the bar owner (her friend) who happened to own a pitbull. Since he was well trained, lovable, friendly and cuddly, he was let off the chain, running around the bar. And as he ran towards the visitor, since everyone knew the visitor knew the owner and the dog knew her, people, including the visitor herself, assumed the dog ran to welcome her. A bitter welcome it was! The dog jumped and cuddled the face of the visitor with a pair of monster jaws.

Nah what you're describing is a terrible owner. A fucking idiot, actually. A powerful dog should never be allowed to roam around a bar, ridiculous behaviour and bound to end up causing harm. Someone would have kicked it or whatever eventually when drunk. The guy should be charged.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Bernardo on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm

So how is that different from owning, say, a tiger?
I used to play guitar for Elma and Buistra, and bass for Are You God?.
More recently did these:
Vermes do Limbo + Bernardo Pacheco /-/ Berna And The Gangstas
Bernardo

Postby seanurban on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:00 pm

MC,
I don't mind your nitpicking my point since we agree that dog ownership should be more regulated. That's fine. I'm just saying start with the pit bulls.
It's like start with the semi auto weapons, since everyone is making gun analogies here.
seanurban
King High

Postby eliya on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Point taken about other dog breed that are capable of becoming killing machines.

I think the discussion about someone having a possibly lethal pet is very similar to the discussion about guns. No one needs a four-legged could be killing machine. Yes, I read the posts in this thread, and I accept them. But also, gun advocates will say the same thing about guns.

The idea of pet ownership and breeding of animals to be our companions, hunters, fetchers, etc. is insane and selfish. There's absolutely no reason to breed these types of dogs. Yes, they're so cute, but that jaw will snap your bones.
eliya

Postby ErikG on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:50 pm

The 'monster jaw' is a myth.

German Shepherds and Rottweilers have tested higher than Pit Bulls in bite tests.

Dogs are great, people suck.
ErikG
tv clown
tv clown

Postby seanurban on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:01 pm

That just proves that pit bulls are not accidental killers. They really hate us.
seanurban
King High

Postby Madman Munt on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:47 pm

All this talk of dogs with terrible owners reminds me of Ghostface from Harry and Paul:

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Madman Munt
francis harry compton crick
francis harry compton crick

Postby greg on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm interested in the fuck humans, people suck anecdotes. Seems totally detached from reality and a reflection on your own nihilism, in which case, you're out of the discussion since you have no care for the public good.
You suck.
Shitty dogs don't attack shitty people, they attack randomly and indiscriminately. There's an accepted threshold for domesticating animals. I feel it would be good to include some breeds in the unacceptable camp to improve the public's quality of life. We don't have to exterminate a breed to exclude it from society.
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby seanurban on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 pm

greg wrote:I'm interested in the fuck humans, people suck anecdotes. Seems totally detached from reality and a reflection on your own nihilism, in which case, you're out of the discussion since you have no care for the public good.
You suck.
theres no reasoning with them.
Me: Animals did not invent the printing press.
Them: they didn't exterminate the Jews either!
Me: fine. Animals win. They still have to wear a leash. Ffs
seanurban
King High

Postby garthplinko on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Love all the experts in here.

Tell me again how long you've been studying dog behavior. Or maybe you are a vet or some other professional that works with animals?

Sorry, your ignorance is showing.
garthplinko

Postby seanurban on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Here's what a pitbull expert look[ed] like:
seanurban
King High

Postby Tom on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:00 pm

garthplinko wrote:Love all the experts in here.

Tell me again how long you've been studying dog behavior. Or maybe you are a vet or some other professional that works with animals?

Sorry, your ignorance is showing.

OK, what you got?
I see a lot of data that says these dogs, for whatever reason maim and kill people at substantially higher levels than other dogs - and without barking? Is this not the case? If it is the case, then I'm going to avoid them.
Tom

Postby prd on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:21 am

ErikG wrote:The 'monster jaw' is a myth.

German Shepherds and Rottweilers have tested higher than Pit Bulls in bite tests.

Dogs are great, people suck.

Oh no, that's not a myth. There are breeds said to have a higher bite force per se (after all, Pitbull is not a huge breed), but Pitbull and American Stafford are said to have the steadiest and stiffest bites. Which means, once they bite, they won't let go. It's more often than not the part of tissue they bite into that comes off.

Thus the monster jaws.

Btw I haven't found a single comprehensive study regarding the bite force. The evidence, if we even call it that, seems anecdotal.

EDIT: I detest the Rotties too, because whenever the news of a kid torn apart by a dog comes up, there's usually either the Pitbull or the Rottweiler tooth in. And as Rottweilers are much bigger and stronger, I always cringe whenever I see that dog walked around by a 140-pound woman. The whole scene is a potential horror to me.
Last edited by prd on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
prd
sister
sister

Postby seanurban on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:24 am

eliya wrote:
seanurban wrote:But this isn't like driving without a seat belt.

This is an insane. You have a wayyy higher chance of dying not driving a seatbelt than a pitbull mauling you.

I know that. I was differentiating between risks we bear ourselves and those that can hurt others. Response to something FMAFlack wrote.
seanurban
King High

Postby prd on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:05 am

Model Citizen wrote:Nah what you're describing is a terrible owner. A fucking idiot, actually. A powerful dog should never be allowed to roam around a bar, ridiculous behaviour and bound to end up causing harm. Someone would have kicked it or whatever eventually when drunk. The guy should be charged.

Definitely! But had she (it was her actually) owned say, the Chihuahua, letting it run among the drunks wouldn't have ended this way, right? Although these are cruel bastards in their own right, sharp as their teeth.

What I say is: it's never just the owner. It takes the right breed of dog and a terrible owner to come to a messy end like this.
prd
sister
sister

Postby wellbutrin on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:11 pm

OK, professional dog guy here.

I handle (face to face) 10-20 a day personally and 40-50 out of the corner of my eye that other people at my clinic are working with.

Here are some scary dog breeds that literally nobody I work with (or know in the industry really) wants to see on a check-in sheet. They don't want to see them because they are often scary as fuck when even the least-bit frazzled. Considering the clinic is one of the highest-stress environments I can think of for a dog, I feel this is a good environment to judge a dog's relative scariness. In relative order.

German Shepherd
Chow chow
Miniature Pinscher
Chihuahua
Shar Pei
Shiba Inu
Rottweiler
Australian blue heeler/cattle dog
Akita

I would say 20% or less of individuals representing the above breeds are nice and good. 80% of all other dogs are nice and good, and this includes Pitbulls. Given their massive numbers in the country and the volume at which I see them, I would say I see more nice Pitbulls than any other dog. They are usually extremely fun and sweet. They are often big and lean and muscular, so when they are not nice and good they are super fucking scary. They are also often treated, trained and kept like shit and so when they get loose they can kill people. This makes sense.

A big, scary, mean pitbull is the same as a big, scary mean any type of dog. A vicious pitbull is absolutely no more dangerous then a vicious German Shepherd.
wellbutrin
agnes martin
agnes martin

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap