crap/not crap

crap
54%
not crap
46%

Total votes : 140

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby m3kcomp on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:44 am

A dude was riding around on a loud ass Ducati the other day in downtown Manhattan around 8 am as I was walking to work. Fuck that guy. So ridiculous.

I think it has been said earlier. The motorcycles are NC, but some people who ride them are. That dude was complete crap.
m3kcomp
carlin
carlin

Postby evanrowe on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:20 am

m3kcomp wrote:A dude was riding around on a loud ass Ducati the other day in downtown Manhattan around 8 am as I was walking to work. Fuck that guy. So ridiculous.

I think it has been said earlier. The motorcycles are NC, but some people who ride them are. That dude was complete crap.

Loud ass Ducatis are Not Crap. Loud ass Honda CBRs, sure. A Suzuki GSXR redlining from light to light? Pretty annoying. But I've yet to hear a Ducati that sounded Crap. Of course some people who ride them are crap. But this thread is about motorcycles, and they rule.
Ty Webb wrote:The gutters are filled with bullets, blood and bacon. No room for "petrol".

Maple Stave
Today's Forecast
Heather Loves Silkworm!
evanrowe
francis bacon
francis bacon

Postby garthplinko on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:00 am

I don't hate motorcycles. But I hate everything that is loud (that is not the music I am choosing to listen to). I resent anyone whose selfish desire to do their loud thing (loud motorcycle, car, window-rattling stereo, etc) intrudes upon my own selfish desire to have some peace & quiet. This has always bothered me, I suspect due to growing up in the country. I do my best to make sure that when I am being loud, I am trying to keep it from intruding into someone else's private space - it's not like you can close your earlids and shut it out if you don't like it and can't get away from it. Some folks are able to tune this out better than I am I guess.

Loud annoying things: Crap
Motorcycles: Not Crap

I think this world needs a lot more quiet.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby evanrowe on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:47 am

garthplinko wrote:I think this world needs a lot more quiet.

Agreed. Maybe if we had a lot fewer of the dumb Harley cardiologists BRRRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPPing away from every red light there'd be more room for both quiet and the occasional sweet 999 with a full Termignoni.

As much as I love motorcycles I sure do hate the sound of that goofily-timed Harley engine.
Ty Webb wrote:The gutters are filled with bullets, blood and bacon. No room for "petrol".

Maple Stave
Today's Forecast
Heather Loves Silkworm!
evanrowe
francis bacon
francis bacon

Postby motorbike guy on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:40 pm

I like loud ducati's just fine, but for my money, the best sounding motorcycle I ever heard was my friends honda RC-51 with Sato pipes. I loved following him around.

My race SV-650 with an M4 full system was a close second. That bike just sounded like F-U-N.

Love the twins, just love em. I don't even mind Harleys.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Seby on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Ducati-dickhead story:

Back in early/mid 90s I worked in a warehouse for a crappy company. Anyway, John, the sales manager of said company, had a midlife crisis and ordered a Ducati from Italy. John told everyone about it. John got himself a matching Ducati-red-Ducati-helmet, and a Ducati-red-Ducati-jumpsuit with Ducati-red-Ducati-racing-boots. On the day that John rode in on the Ducati-red-Ducati for the first (and only) time, he parked it in between the loading dock and the front steps. This was terribly inconvenient, but this way everyone could see that John's Ducati-red-Ducati had arrived.

In the afternoon of that same day, I was standing on the edge of the loading dock when John, looking like Ducati-Man(tm), came out to ride home on his Ducati-red-Ducati. A lot of other people came to see John leave too, because John backed his Ducati-red-Ducati into the loading dock, hit the ignition, and revved shitting-christ out of it for a good minute or so. This was very loud in the enclosed echoey warehouse space. John wanted to make sure that everyone came to see him shoot out of the loading dock on his Ducati-red-Ducati like something out of Battlestar Galactica. And shoot out of it he did.

When the clutch slipped at the top of the rev-cycle, John's Ducati-red-Ducati should have stalled. But John's Ducati-red-Ducati did not stall. John's Ducati-red-Ducati's front wheel lifted several feet off the ground, and then John, and his Ducati-red-Ducati were just...gone. One moment they were in the loading dock, the next moment they were half way across the carpark. John's Ducati-red-Ducati still on its back wheel, John lying prone across the back with his Ducati-red-Ducati-racing-boots dragging across the ground. The scream coming from inside John's Ducati-red-Ducati-helmet was nearly as loud as John's Ducati-red-Ducati.

The only thing that saved John from near certain death on the container-truck-saturated road towards which he and his Ducati-red-Ducati were now heading at Warp-Factor-Nine, was Ray's car. Ray was a sales rep., so John was his manager. John hit the side of Ray's car at just the right angle to leave long, Ducati-red racing stripe down the side. The impact jolted John out of his state of frozen terror long enough for him to realise that letting go of the throttle was probably in his best interests. Now lying flat on the ground, John got the perfect view of his Ducati-red-Ducati spinning across the carpark on its side like an angry Italian firecracker.
Last edited by Seby on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seby
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby travis k on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:04 pm

Thank you, Seby, for the Ducati-red - Ducati story.
travis k
grand
grand

Postby Seby on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:51 am

travis k wrote:Thank you, Seby, for the Ducati-red - Ducati story.

Don't thank me, thank John!
Seby
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby bishopdante on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Hehe that's funny. Anything over a liter can get badly out of hand quickly.

I have a flip-side ducati story for reference.

Workmate of mine was a hardcore biker. Real deal top brass in a fully-feared gang. Not the hell's angels. No no. Venue security firm / no questions contract muscle. Their bikes were full works of industrial art. Brilliant guy, bringing him in was one of the best decisions I ever made. Bike gang tattooed head to foot viking with mohawk and zz top beard, nickname "the fridge". Professional wrestler. Banned arrest on sight by police in several cities in the UK, decades of venue security experience. One of the nicest and most straight up friendly people I know. Had even done a stint in WWF. He also DJ'd various places, and would often play slayer's reign in blood album top-to-tail. We glued some plastic devil horns to his head, painted him red for halloween and using the contents of his cd briefcase he had so many people jumping about that it finished off the floor joists and the whole house had to be reconstructed by the insurance. He solved a lot of politics problems, especially with the accountant. We had print moving all over Europe in the capacious panniers of chopped harley Davidsons piloted by tattooed psychopaths, ultra-grizzly. One of them wore a german WW1 helmet with a bullet hole in it. The work would always get there on time. 100% hit rate. I ditched the tracking system within a week they were that tight. Curiously once we did this, everybody paid on time, which was unusual, and I know from experience is quite unrelated to timely delivery. It is hard to play "won't pay" quibble games with a scary biker, it seems.

After years of choppers, the fridge bought a ducati monster. Dirt cheap, hardly ridden, off a midlife crisis client bartered for some work, whowever was suitably scared of it and had it sitting in his garage. Yellow tank. The fridge could handle it, but it did look a bit silly being ridden by a 20 stone viking with a skull-mask. He did assure me that wheelies at 120 was "a right larf"

After owning it two weeks, it burned itself to a crisp in his driveway, after a few days of emitting a very plasticky smell and stalling occasionally, spontaneous 10ft flame fireball immolation at midnight, after being parked a few hours. Overheated or electrical fault, we will never know. He was probably too heavy for it.
Last edited by bishopdante on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby ErikG on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:07 pm

250diana_mk3_front.jpg

What's with all the Ducati hate?

NC No waffles.
ErikG
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby bishopdante on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:16 pm

30hp, absolute minimum of plastic parts, 250cc, seems sensible enough.

Not sure if the fridge would be pulling wheelies at 120 tho, and getting the front wheel up anywhere over 100 was his general benchmark for a quality motorbike.

The space frame chassis is really good on those, but quite a lot of plastic and with a 20 stone rider the engine does get hotter than most plastics like to get.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby motorbike guy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:04 pm

there are big monsters and little monsters.
some are air cooled and some are water cooled.

for a long time, ducatis, being Italian, were known to have electrical problems.
the little air cooled ones have been known to overheat and catch fire under heavy loads.

ducatis rule. I hope to own one some day.

oh, and you can get yourself in a whole heap of trouble very quickly on a 600cc bike just as well as on a 1000cc bike. a Yamaha r-6 will get you from 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy

Postby rgauss on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Well? Any memorable rides, new bikes, close-calls? Sadly, just lots of commuting miles for me this year with an occasional rip through the woods. What's been notable for me is the lack of winter we're having. Normally I'd have missed weeks of riding by now due to snow/ice; I've missed like three days. I live at 7400 feet (my commute takes up to 9,000+) and I've had no snow at the house this winter. . . none! In the 15 years I've lived here I've never seen anything like it. Global warming I suppose. Making for a nice long riding season. Motorcycles=(still) not crap!
rgauss
andy warhol
andy warhol

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap