home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

loud annoying things: motorcycles

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

crap/not crap

crap
76
54%
not crap
64
46%
 
Total votes : 140

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby rgauss on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:27 pm

qrj wrote:I'm looking to get an old Kawasaki or Honda cafe racer style bike soon.

It's been a few years since I've rode one. Any tips, suggestions, comments would be nice.


Take the MSF Basic Rider Course if you are a new rider or want a refresher (around here taking the course gets you a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license). MSF also offers a course for experienced riders. There are some good books out there too. Proficient Motorcycling by Hough is excellent. Covers everything well but emphasizes hazard avoidance. Twist of the Wrist II is really good but is more about improving riding technique. Occasionally the complete DVD of Twist of the Wrist is up on YouTube - search by the title or "the cornering bible". The "Most Important Things to Know for a Motorcycling n00b" thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563090 on ADVRIDER has some go info although a fair amount of it is geared toward dirt riding. Riding is dangerous: if you're going to do it, make an effort to be skilled and safe. Read a lot. Discuss a lot. Watch a lot. RIDE A LOT. ATGATT.

I'll send you either of the books mentioned above as long as you send them back when you're done, or better yet, pass them along to someone else that will get something out of them.
User avatar
rgauss
JACKPOT!
JACKPOT!
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: nuevo mexico

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby Sock OR Muffin? on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Please get a full face helmet.
Anthony Flack wrote:In fact it was Jimmy Saville who first introduced Cream to The Small Faces.
User avatar
Sock OR Muffin?
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3172
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Inside the K car

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Sock OR Muffin? wrote:Please get a full face helmet.


2x
User avatar
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby rgauss on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:13 am

Here's an interesting Reddit AMA with a former bike thief.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama
User avatar
rgauss
JACKPOT!
JACKPOT!
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: nuevo mexico

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby LeftyGoldblatt on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:27 pm

whenever i hear people on motorcycles making all that noise, all i can think about is how close we still are to wild chimps beating their chests in the jungle.
LeftyGoldblatt
duke
duke
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby geiginni on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:38 pm

LeftyGoldblatt wrote:whenever i hear people on motorcycles making all that noise, all i can think about is how close we still are to wild chimps beating their chests in the jungle.


Only motorcycles do this for you? Hell, a good 50% of human behaviour reminds me of that.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
User avatar
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5111
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:33 pm
Location: Mediating the Strong Force

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby atomjackfuser on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Glad to see Missouri Republicans have the foresight to address the need for more organ donors.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/local_news/repeal-of-motorcycle-helmet-law-in-missouri-gets-approval-in/article_c21ccee9-8534-5ab0-95c9-3693c183d00b.html


Full Disclosure: I lifted that zinger from a FB friend.
User avatar
atomjackfuser
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants
 
Posts: 1306
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:37 pm
Location: Kansas City, Missouri

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby Yngwie Einstein on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:58 pm

I debated putting this here or the Funny Youtube Videos thread.

"All Ducatis have two turbos. The other is under the fairing."

"This is only the 899, so it has 899 horse power."

phpBB [media]
User avatar
Yngwie Einstein
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:17 pm

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby Seby on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Well now, this is a tricky one.

On the one hand, I have flat out nearly killed myself every time I have gotten on one (ridden straight into a brick wall, dropped and skidded across multiple lanes of traffic whilst being doubled, spun out in the dirt, etc.). Also, I live at Bondi Beach, which is ground zero for bike-revving wankerdom. Also again, in Australia right now, live music is swamped by hipster posers with huge beards, patched denim vests, faux Hells Angels affections, and a performing-their-identity-this-week obsession with bike modifications.

But I still think that a lot of bikes are cool. It is the people that are usually insufferable.

Fuck it, even though the poor bikes themselves are innocent, I'm voting crap.
Seby
francis bacon
francis bacon
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby bishopdante on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:53 pm

Honda CBR 125
Fuel economy on road test: 91.5mpg
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
User avatar
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4214
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am
Location: London

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby matthew on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:07 am

Seby wrote:But I still think that a lot of bikes are cool. It is the people that are usually insufferable.


Motorcycles aren't crap. They're really practical. They just happen to be ridden by some people who are kind of annoying or insufferable. And the whole attorney/physician/investment banker who pretends to be a hardcore biker thing?...oh man. I lived in Bucks and Montgomery Cos. in PA for many years and those types choke the roads there in the summertime...they come down from New York and New England or have summer homes in BucksMont.

As far as the old-time "biker" types...the ones I've met are generally quite amicable and friendly once they have just enough alcohol in them.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
User avatar
matthew
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3490
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Gens non sancta.

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby evanrowe on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Hey, I finally upgraded last fall.

Image

2004 Honda VFR800 ABS. Under 14000 miles, put a little over a thousand on it since then. Comfortable, enough power for fun but not scary. Eats highway and back road miles all day. A little wind protection which is welcome after the naked GS500. Destroys the GS in low-end torque and general fastness. Came with the Givi hard luggage. Beautiful single-sided swingarm. Really a great all-around sport tourer with emphasis on sport. Added a gear position indicator and raised the forks in the triple tree 10 mm to quicken the steering. Lost some ground clearance so will probably shim the rear end soon and split the difference. Suspension needs some sorting, which I'll hopefully do this year starting with racetech springs and cartridge emulators. Has the crazy VTEC engine that opens two more valves per cylinder at 6800 rpm, at which point it howls like a banshee. A Power Commander would help smooth a couple weird spots in the fueling out, so may try that after the suspension work.

Emphatically Not Crap.
Ty Webb wrote:The gutters are filled with bullets, blood and bacon. No room for "petrol".


Maple Stave
Today's Forecast
Heather Loves Silkworm!
User avatar
evanrowe
francis bacon
francis bacon
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:11 am
Location: Durham NC

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby bishopdante on Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Swiss made electric off road bike company called Quantya:

phpBB [media]


not loud.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
User avatar
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4214
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am
Location: London

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby dvockins on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:47 pm

evanrowe wrote:2004 Honda VFR800 ABS.

v4 is the real Honda shit. There are lots of cool Hondas, but that's the real Honda shit. What's the horrible Honda v4? A Magna? Even that is a tiny bit cool. Every other v4 Honda is pretty hot shit.

The suspension upgrade is very intelligent and exactly what you should do, but you gotta put an exhaust on that. Shit'll sound fuckin' mint.
dvockins
grand
grand
 
Posts: 1006
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: NYC

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby evanrowe on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:22 am

dvockins wrote:
evanrowe wrote:2004 Honda VFR800 ABS.

v4 is the real Honda shit. There are lots of cool Hondas, but that's the real Honda shit. What's the horrible Honda v4? A Magna? Even that is a tiny bit cool. Every other v4 Honda is pretty hot shit.


The Magna is still some sweet old heavy shaft-drive shit.

dvockins wrote:The suspension upgrade is very intelligent and exactly what you should do, but you gotta put an exhaust on that. Shit'll sound fuckin' mint.


I was pulling into the driveway yesterday and downshifted with a blip of the throttle and thought the same thing. Sewing machine quiet right now, but there's that V4 rumble hiding in there. Right now it's not a high priority but agreed, would sound mint deluxe.
Ty Webb wrote:The gutters are filled with bullets, blood and bacon. No room for "petrol".


Maple Stave
Today's Forecast
Heather Loves Silkworm!
User avatar
evanrowe
francis bacon
francis bacon
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:11 am
Location: Durham NC

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby jimmywahcrowbar on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:57 am

I have a little Yamaha Nouvo 135cc scooter. Gets me around town real quick.

Image
jimmywahcrowbar
cookie monster
cookie monster
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:44 am

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby Mick Shrimpton on Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Motorcycle riding is the perfect way to let strangers know you're a dangerous rebel, but how do you overcompensate when it's too rainy to ride?

a. Strut around your block in leather fringe?
b. Unfurl your ponytail?
c. Or intimidate other dads with your calf tattoo?
User avatar
Mick Shrimpton
second class
second class
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:34 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby motorbike guy on Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:34 pm

evanrowe wrote:
dvockins wrote:
evanrowe wrote:2004 Honda VFR800 ABS.

v4 is the real Honda shit. There are lots of cool Hondas, but that's the real Honda shit. What's the horrible Honda v4? A Magna? Even that is a tiny bit cool. Every other v4 Honda is pretty hot shit.


The Magna is still some sweet old heavy shaft-drive shit.

dvockins wrote:The suspension upgrade is very intelligent and exactly what you should do, but you gotta put an exhaust on that. Shit'll sound fuckin' mint.


I was pulling into the driveway yesterday and downshifted with a blip of the throttle and thought the same thing. Sewing machine quiet right now, but there's that V4 rumble hiding in there. Right now it's not a high priority but agreed, would sound mint deluxe.


I helped a friend install a full exhaust system on his VFR a few years ago. it was made in Australia by the Staintune folks. It made his bike sound like v-8 muscle car.

also, older VFRs were known for frying their rectifiers - the new ones are better, but look into it. the VFR internet community is one of the best around, and they have experienced and fixed every problem those bikes could ever have.

Congratulations, I am jealous.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
User avatar
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4120
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:49 pm
Location: hope well

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby evanrowe on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:53 am

motorbike guy wrote:
evanrowe wrote:
dvockins wrote:
evanrowe wrote:2004 Honda VFR800 ABS.

v4 is the real Honda shit. There are lots of cool Hondas, but that's the real Honda shit. What's the horrible Honda v4? A Magna? Even that is a tiny bit cool. Every other v4 Honda is pretty hot shit.


The Magna is still some sweet old heavy shaft-drive shit.

dvockins wrote:The suspension upgrade is very intelligent and exactly what you should do, but you gotta put an exhaust on that. Shit'll sound fuckin' mint.


I was pulling into the driveway yesterday and downshifted with a blip of the throttle and thought the same thing. Sewing machine quiet right now, but there's that V4 rumble hiding in there. Right now it's not a high priority but agreed, would sound mint deluxe.


I helped a friend install a full exhaust system on his VFR a few years ago. it was made in Australia by the Staintune folks. It made his bike sound like v-8 muscle car.

also, older VFRs were known for frying their rectifiers - the new ones are better, but look into it. the VFR internet community is one of the best around, and they have experienced and fixed every problem those bikes could ever have.

Congratulations, I am jealous.


Thanks man--yep, I'm installing a VFRness after the BBQ, new heavier RR harness that fixes the sensor wire problem. Also need to fix a potential "blue connector" trouble spot under the left side cowl and should be alright electrically.

The VFR folks love the Staintune, but man $800 goes a long way toward fully adjustable and properly sprung suspension or Vanson jackets or snare drums or cymbals. Considering at least a partial gut of the stock exhaust, the look of which I actually like.

(edited for typo)
Ty Webb wrote:The gutters are filled with bullets, blood and bacon. No room for "petrol".


Maple Stave
Today's Forecast
Heather Loves Silkworm!
User avatar
evanrowe
francis bacon
francis bacon
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:11 am
Location: Durham NC

Re: loud annoying things: motorcycles

Postby enframed on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:16 am

Yngwie Einstein wrote:I debated putting this here or the Funny Youtube Videos thread.

"All Ducatis have two turbos. The other is under the fairing."

"This is only the 899, so it has 899 horse power."

phpBB [media]



Go Pro camera's are ruining everything.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
User avatar
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 16681
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: Central Coast, CA

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests