Postby ErikG on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Great band, great guitar.

WF 0.
ErikG
cecil bill
cecil bill

Re: Guitar: Stratocaster

Postby bishopdante on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 pm

My early '80s Japanese strat was a good workhorse, and got used plenty.

Was very sad that it got smashed to smithereens by the Russian mafia.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Janeway on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 pm

^haha smithereens sounds like a tasty snacks name... i could see goobers or raisinets having been called "smithereens"'

or how about chunks of pop rocks cause then it feels like everytings being blown to smithereens

ooo now im in the mood to like, eat pop rocks and take an epsom fizzy bath and drink bubble water, haha and just like float away on a bubble like its mario brothers in here. i guess im done eating for one day, the half of cheesecake i got through was the fluffiest thing ever. well maybe ill just finish this really quick, its seriously an angel marshmallow creamy dream

also strats... i forgot where we were going with that
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby eliya on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:58 pm

There are a lot of problem with Jimmy Page, but even on his worst day, he can play better than anyone here.

Also,

ErikG wrote:Great band, great guitar.

WF 0.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:15 am

Jimmy Page wrote some great guitar parts but he was a fumble-fingered guitarist and I'm sure there's dozens of people here who could play better than him on his worst day.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Boombats on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 am

That Kashmir knocks tho
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby eliya on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:28 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Jimmy Page wrote some great guitar parts but he was a fumble-fingered guitarist and I'm sure there's dozens of people here who could play better than him on his worst day.

You're wrong.
eliya

Postby yard barf on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:04 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Jimmy Page wrote some great guitar parts but he was a fumble-fingered guitarist and I'm sure there's dozens of people here who could play better than him on his worst day.

On his worst day? So on the day Bonzo died, you figure he could be outplayed. I see. Maybe his performance of "Black Dog" would lack enthusiasm that day.

Strats are great guitars.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby kokorodoko on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:39 am

bishopdante wrote:Was very sad that it got smashed to smithereens by the Russian mafia.

Yes of course, the Russian mafia makes an appearance and thrashes his guitar, just one of those things that happens sometimes you know.

What wouldn't I give to spend a day in your life.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
curly neal
curly neal

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:44 am

I was waiting for a comment like this. Hilarious.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Parbuckle on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:27 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:

I was waiting for a comment like this. Hilarious.

Frankly, I'm surprised Jimmy Page's fingering hasn't got him into more trouble than it has.

Edit: Just saw that FM Major kinda did this joke already in the Hilarious Joke thread.
bishopdante wrote:It's a lobster push lobster world out there.
Parbuckle
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby Redline on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Brian Egeness and I were watching the Led Zeppelin film at the Die Kreuzen house and we kept looking at each other during Jimmy Pages zoomed-in solos.
"Well, that was an interesting ditty"
"What did he just do there? He made 900 dollars just playing that sad solo for 2 minutes! And there's 16 minutes to go!"

We both knew we'd never be as famous as Jimmy Page, but that concert film did give us the encouragement to push on with our wacky noise-punk...Then Brian bought a Kramer super-strat. Oh well, it was the 80's.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby dfglove on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:30 pm

If what you want to do most of all with a guitar is endlessly fuck around tampering with its insides the Stratocaster is the finest platform to do so. It's relatively indestructible and the scratchplate can conceal a multitude of misadventures.

Free idea: someone should make an aftermarket tinkerer's version of that scratchplate so you can lift the control assembly clear without unstringing the thing.

But most of all, if what you're starting with is a basswood copy with three ceramic single-coil pickups, an unshielded control cavity and a pot metal bridge with the folded saddles, it's actually quite difficult for anything you do to it to make it sound worse.
dfglove
assclown
assclown

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:41 pm

yard barf wrote:On his worst day? So on the day Bonzo died, you figure he could be outplayed. I see. Maybe his performance of "Black Dog" would lack enthusiasm that day.

"On his worst day, he can play better than anyone here" was exactly what Eliya said. Substitute "on an average bad day" if you like, or an average average day or whatever. I'm not asking for him to be incapacitated with grief or anything.

I don't know why you guys say with complete confidence that nobody here can play guitar for shit, but Jimmy Page was never known for his mad skills. Quite the opposite; he was known as a fumble-fingered guitarist who has played some shockers in his time.

That's not to say that what he did was bad, not at all; probably very few people here could do what Malmsteen does on a technical level and Malmsteen sucks, that's not the point. He was a great writer, a great producer. But come on, Black Dog isn't exactly DIFFICULT. It's not the sort of thing you listen to and think damn I could never play those half-fumbled widdly-widdlies..

Redline wrote:We both knew we'd never be as famous as Jimmy Page, but that concert film did give us the encouragement to push on with our wacky noise-punk...Then Brian bought a Kramer super-strat. Oh well, it was the 80's.

It's funny how often seeing somebody do something badly can serve as inspiration.
Anthony Flack

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:47 pm

His skills as a writer and producer are absolutely an extension of his guitar playing, though. There is more to it than fretting a string and playing a note.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Big John on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Jimmy Page could play better at 14 than I can.

phpBB [media]

Page was the top session guitarist in his early 20's played on tons of classic hits by the Who, Kinks and tons of others. As well he has put his riffs into very compelling song writing that helped create one of the most popular bands in the world and lots of hits so he beats me there.

I think in that documentary with Edge and the white strips guy you see him play some guitar and the others have the "We are not worthy" looks on their faces and they would be considered top players in most folks books.

So like when I watch the Olympics I figure that I am out classed and these guys could school me on their worst day. I don't know about other guys on the site but I figure Jimmy Page could smoke me in his sleep.
Big John

Postby yard barf on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:But come on, Black Dog isn't exactly DIFFICULT. It's not the sort of thing you listen to and think damn I could never play those half-fumbled widdly-widdlies..

Thing is, his so-called "fumble fingering," sounds cool. If that ridiculous solo in 'Heartbreaker" were cleaner, it'd be worse. It wouldn't sound insane. The sloppy, gutsy, expressive part of rock music is possibly the most important part. If you wanna pucker your anus about Jimmy Page's loose style, you'll do it alone, pal.

Big John wrote:I think in that documentary with Edge and the white strips guy you see him play some guitar and the others have the "We are not worthy" looks on their faces and they would be considered top players in most folks books.

That movie sucked, but that moment was magical.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby 154 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:47 pm

Yeah, I think some of that 'sloppiness' is intentional, maybe less so as the drugs and booze increased. But the squeaks and squeals and slurred notes are part of the thing.

But he should stay away from the Strat's whammy bar..

Postby first2letters on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm

yard barf wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:But come on, Black Dog isn't exactly DIFFICULT. It's not the sort of thing you listen to and think damn I could never play those half-fumbled widdly-widdlies..

Thing is, his so-called "fumble fingering," sounds cool. If that ridiculous solo in 'Heartbreaker" were cleaner, it'd be worse. It wouldn't sound insane. The sloppy, gutsy, expressive part of rock music is possibly the most important part. If you wanna pucker your anus about Jimmy Page's loose style, you'll do it alone, pal.

Big John wrote:I think in that documentary with Edge and the white strips guy you see him play some guitar and the others have the "We are not worthy" looks on their faces and they would be considered top players in most folks books.

That movie sucked, but that moment was magical.

If you're talking about the moment where he struts in front of them, nodding patronizingly at their attempts to keep up with "Kashmir" -- pure fuggin' magic indeed.

(Also, I'm sorry for perpetuating this Jimmy Page thread in the middle of a Stratocaster thread. Been on a Page kick lately and can't help myself.)
first2letters
roy campanella
roy campanella

Postby sulfur)addict on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Jimmy Page's drunken fumblings is maybe the only thing I like about his "style."

That, and his ear for layering tracks into a whole.

He was later topped by James Williamson and Johnny Marr, respectively, but whadda ya do - that's music for ya.

If you're gonna steal every lick and unfilter your bombast, you might as well be playing in My Chemical Romance circa Black Parade. Who needs a Brit guitarist who vacations in Jamaica and comes back having written "D'Yer Maker?" Laugh that guy out of the room - whadda dumbfuck.

Helluva producer, though. One of the best.

Strats? Not Crap, but not for me, personally. It feels like Jimi Hendrix's guitar by this point. If Page really picked one up for Presence - his best album by a long shot - then double NC for the Strat.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap