Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

UFC

Crap
55%
Not Crap
45%

Total votes : 60

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:48 pm

So I just saw a commercial and Brock Lesnar is in the UFC now?!

That I might wanna see. The dudes a fucking monster.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby geezerjpj on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:12 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Doesn't anyone else think this is just a tad homoerotic?

Anyway, the real reason for it being crap is that it feels stupid whenever I see it - like it's just a bunch of jocks trying out their Bruce Lee fetishes on each other.

The reality show is more than just a tad homoerotic. Very jocky and frat-like. Featured pranks on the current show had one guy pissing in a fruit bowl that others ate and another guy jerking off onto someone else's sushi which was eaten as well.

I have to confess. I kind of like watching the fighting because I did judo in when I was in high school so I actually kind of understand some of the more nuanced(if you will)stuff that's going on. It's pretty barbaric and I file it under guilty pleasure alongside NFL football.

My best friend from high school is featured on one of the early UFC dvds getting his nose broken in his second and last fight. I like the guy but he was kind of a psycho asshole who just enjoyed beating people up especially bigger/supposedly tougher guys. I saw him beat the shit out of two Hells Angels when he was 15. I'll bet his mindset is typical.
"I am going to put myself to sleep now for a bit longer than usual. Call it Eternity" Jerzy Kosinski

New band....Popped Blimp

we need a singer(and to tighten up)
geezerjpj
tv clown
tv clown

Postby Trey on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:18 pm

Marsupialized wrote:So I just saw a commercial and Brock Lesnar is in the UFC now?!

That I might wanna see. The dudes a fucking monster.

Yes. He's had 2 fights I think. He beat the fucking shit out of a guy a few months ago who was a top ranked heavyweight, therefore tomorrow night he is fighting Randy "The Natural" Couture for the heavyweight title. Lesnar can actually fight like mad. He's been training a couple years and he is so fuck all huge, I don't see how anyone can stop him.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Conchis on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:19 pm

trompuss wrote:He's been training a couple years and he is so fuck all huge, I don't see how anyone can stop him.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, and like many, I'm at a loss as to how to assess the odds on this fight, but can plainly see at least two or three ways Randy Couture could beat him tomorrow night.

I'm pretty sure that however it goes down, this is going to be a really, really good fight.
Conchis
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby Surfrider on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:53 pm

MMA is the only sport that consistently engages or excites me these days.

Randy is gonna own Lesnar. No doubt. He's a 45 year old goddamn hero.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Trey on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:04 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think Randy is great. And I could give a shit about Brock Lesnar. It's just the obvious thing though, Randy is a very small heavyweight (he spent most of his career at light-heavyweight) and Brock is the posterboy for why there should be a super-heavyweight division. Did anyone see him run over Heath Herring? Randy is one of the best wrestlers in the ufc but unless Lesnar makes a really big mistake and Randy exploits it and finishes it quickly, I'm thinking he is in for a long, rough night. Or a short rough night.

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Ernest on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:07 pm

I bet I could out-count these UFC fighters.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby nihil on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:30 am

In the last several years, I have watched the UFC evolve. In the beginning, it was ridiculous. But in a short time, with sanctions and the like, a serious tone has replaced the formal spectacle. Sure there are still a lot of chumps...but fighters (and there are still very few) like Anderson Silva personify the beauty of this sport.

It's still new, but I see MMA as a replacement for boxing.

Joe Rogan is not a douche. Yes, he has all of the superficial qualifications for being a douche, but he actually knows what he is talking about and I have learned a lot from his commentary.

I look forward to the future of MMA and the UFC. Hopefully, the UFC will continue to evolve. There is a lot of room for more subsistence to this sport.
nihil
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:47 am

I'll give this a Not Crap although I never was a fan of UFC impaticular.

I liked "Pride" a lot when it was around. It wasn't marketed to college white kids, drunk assholes and potential marines (I know these three kinds of people are synonymous) like UFC is.

Apparently every white, 21 year old, suburban, dirtbike rider from Southern California is "Training" to be a professional fighter.

There's gotta be at least 30 warehouses in the suburban neighborhood were I used to live dedicated to "training".

Kids no longer have dreams of being anything but a professional fighter nowadays in Southern California.

Shit's lame.

Not Crap because there are PFC fighters in UFC now.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Surfrider on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:02 am

trompuss wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think Randy is great. And I could give a shit about Brock Lesnar. It's just the obvious thing though, Randy is a very small heavyweight (he spent most of his career at light-heavyweight) and Brock is the posterboy for why there should be a super-heavyweight division. Did anyone see him run over Heath Herring? Randy is one of the best wrestlers in the ufc but unless Lesnar makes a really big mistake and Randy exploits it and finishes it quickly, I'm thinking he is in for a long, rough night. Or a short rough night.

I'll admit, i am slightly worried for Randy as he is one of my favourite fighters ever (boxers included) and he seems like such a nice and down to earth guy. But, every time i get worried and other people write him off, he puts my mind at rest and he proves the naysayers wrong time and time again. I remember the exact same pre-fight predictions for his fights against Tito Ortiz, Vitor Belfort, Tim Sylvia, Gabriel Gonzaga. And somehow, he seems to get better with age even in his mid 40's. Nogueira - Couture would be an interesting fight, but i think the only person who could potentially and convincingly punish Randy is Fedor.

Come on Randy! You can do it!!

Florian - Stevenson fight should be a cracker tonight as well.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby a. james on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:56 pm

i hate wrestling, and jiu jitsu.

i wanna see someone get the shit knocked out of him. just get fucking mangled.

i'm starting my own fight club.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby Damages on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Not Crap for me. I think MMA is wholly entertaining and have a lot of respect for the commitment to training many of these guys have.
Damages
vice president
vice president

Postby geezerjpj on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:16 pm

that damned fly wrote:i hate wrestling, and jiu jitsu.

i wanna see someone get the shit knocked out of him. just get fucking mangled.

i'm starting my own fight club.

Doesn't an arm getting broken count as getting mangled? That happens sometimes in MMA when you have a fight where one guy is really good at jiujitsu and the other guy refuses to tap out. I think that's MMA at it's gnarliest....try watching a dude's arm go snap. Do you remember what happened to Joe Theisman?
"I am going to put myself to sleep now for a bit longer than usual. Call it Eternity" Jerzy Kosinski

New band....Popped Blimp

we need a singer(and to tighten up)
geezerjpj
tv clown
tv clown

Re: UFC

Postby Trey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:23 am

UFC 116 was one of the best cards in a long time. Some epic wars. Anybody else watch it? Stephan Bonnar and Chris Leben both won their knockdown drag out brawls in downright heroic fashion. Brock Lesnar got the shit beat out of him but survived the storm and submitted Carwin in the second round to keep his belt. Great night of fights.

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bill Swansea on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Trey wrote:UFC 116 was one of the best cards in a long time. Some epic wars. Anybody else watch it? Stephan Bonnar and Chris Leben both won their knockdown drag out brawls in downright heroic fashion. Brock Lesnar got the shit beat out of him but survived the storm and submitted Carwin in the second round to keep his belt. Great night of fights.

This was the first ever time I saw a UFC event properly, and I must admit I enjoyed.

Brock Lesnar is one of my top ten people not to fuck with, despite his voice and (or maybe because of) that haircut.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby tmidgett on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:
Trey wrote:UFC 116 was one of the best cards in a long time. Some epic wars. Anybody else watch it? Stephan Bonnar and Chris Leben both won their knockdown drag out brawls in downright heroic fashion. Brock Lesnar got the shit beat out of him but survived the storm and submitted Carwin in the second round to keep his belt. Great night of fights.

This was the first ever time I saw a UFC event properly, and I must admit I enjoyed.

Brock Lesnar is one of my top ten people not to fuck with, despite his voice and (or maybe because of) that haircut.

I saw the last Lesnar fight, when he ruined Frank Mir.

I guess this one was supposed to be epic. I was a dumbass and didn't make it to a bar, so I watched the blow-by-blow blog crap on ESPN. I guess I'll see it someday.

Probably I would hate Brock Lesnar, and I always want him to lose, but as a fighter he captures your attention, that is for sure.

There'll be a rematch, for certain.
tmidgett

Postby Tree on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Shane Carwin is from my current town of residence and is pretty big deal 'round these parts. He really seems like a smart, thoughtful guy. I like that.

The first I saw of this sport was Lesnar-Couture at a friend's house and it was ok. I've seen a few more fights and have always wished I was watching something else. I am just having a hard time taking this sport seriously because of the fans. I hate being that guy, but dang, I've delivered to a few GNCs and Max Muscles' and I've left laughing every time.

Kinda reminds me of NASCAR. The dudes who do it seem alright and the fans/wannabes seem like mouth breathers.
Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
Tree
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Trey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Tree wrote: I am just having a hard time taking this sport seriously because of the fans. I hate being that guy, but dang, I've delivered to a few GNCs and Max Muscles' and I've left laughing every time.

Kinda reminds me of NASCAR. The dudes who do it seem alright and the fans/wannabes seem like mouth breathers.

I can understand this completely. I watch every event alone, as well as boxing and kickboxing, which I have watched since I was about 12. I have no friends who follow any of the combat sports, and I am perfectly content watching them by myself. I have lurked on a few MMA boards to get info on fights, and it is quite a collection of meat heads, to be sure. But hey, there's always a bunch of assholes at Shellac shows as well, amiright?

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Trey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Carwin taking it to Brock. Brock running away scared.

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:08 pm

I have never been too interested but my wife is big time into martial arts and follows all this stuff. She's mainly into the female MMA stuff and she has decided that she wants to get into doing it.
Knowing my wife, dating/banging/married to her for over a decade now, when she decides she is going to do something, no matter what it is or how outlandish or crazy it sounds, she's going to do it. This should be terrifying on every level.
There's a chick she loves named Chris Cyborg or something who's a bad motherfucker, no doubt.

Watching the chicks, there's no reason at all they should not be fighting the dudes. Should be inter-gender. This chick would wail on most of the dudes I have seen doing it.

Also, the Brock fight, I am surprised it was not stopped when Brock was lying on his back just taking punch after punch to the face without fighting back.
I am no expert and the ref knows what's he's doing but it was brutal right there, brain damage stuff it seemed to me.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap