Crap?
27%
Not Crap?
73%

Total votes : 30

Producer / Writer: Judd Apatow

Postby Verbs and Nouns on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:46 am

More about him here.

Freaks and Geeks was amazing. Best television show ever.
Dianogah wrote:"cold coffee and warm firm breasts"
Verbs and Nouns
piece of shoe
piece of shoe

Postby CJMcG on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:51 am

Dick and fart jokes for all!

NOT CRAP
CJMcG
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Verbs and Nouns on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:55 am

Sam Weir: What's non-alcoholic beer?
Bill Haverchuck: It's just like beer, it just doesn't have that ingredient that makes you drunk.
Neal Schweiber: ...Alcohol?
Bill Haverchuck: Yeah.
Dianogah wrote:"cold coffee and warm firm breasts"
Verbs and Nouns
piece of shoe
piece of shoe

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:48 am

Not crap... yet. He's attaching his name to sooo much stuff now.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby mattw on Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:03 pm

Steve V. wrote:Right now, he's awesome.

Give him three more overexposed years and his bloated clunkers will pollute his reputation and relegate him to the Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, American Pie table.

Honestly, I don't think so. I'm rootin' for the guy to go beyond that sorta nonsense. He already has with these movies. Plus he wrote for the Larry Sanders show--and the guy's only 40. Quite a lot in a short span of time.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby kenoki on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:50 pm

Steve V. wrote:
Right now, he's awesome.

Give him three more overexposed years and his bloated clunkers will pollute his reputation and relegate him to the Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, American Pie table.

Honestly, I don't think so. I'm rootin' for the guy to go beyond that sorta nonsense. He already has with these movies. Plus he wrote for the Larry Sanders show--and the guy's only 40. Quite a lot in a short span of time.

Didn't he also write "The Cable Guy"?
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby tallchris on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:09 pm

I like a lot of stuff he's written, directed, or produced. In order of preference:

Freaks and Geeks
Knocked Up
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Undeclared
Superbad

Probably my favorite comedy auteur since the 70s to mid-80s heyday of Albert Brooks.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Rick Reuben on Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:32 am

Huge surprise. Apatow's new movie had a putrid opening weekend. And Dewey Cox ( in the trailers ) looks better to me than Knocked Up or Superbad did.
Sony's "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story," was a surprise bomb, taking in just $4.1 million despite good reviews praising its no-holds-barred humor and John C. Reilly's giddy performance.

National Treasure took in 45 mil, proof that conspiracy theories and the theorists who love them are taking over the country.
Rick Reuben

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:05 am

Rick Reuben wrote:National Treasure took in 45 mil,

The success of this movie bewilders me. Much like Rush Hour 3, it's a sequel to a years-old franchise starring C-list actors with laughably little promotion and all signs pointing to critical failure, yet it manages to sweep the box offices in a landslide.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Johnny C on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:15 am

National Treasure holds the unique distinction of being probably the second-worst film I've paid money to go see in a theatre, the first being Georgia Rule. It's probably legal grounds for the public execution of Nic Cage and Jerry Bruckheimer.

Oh, Apatow? Apatow is Not Crap. Walk Hard doesn't look all that great to me but by and large his work runs the gamut from decent to outstanding.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mattw on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:26 am

Dude, it figures that National Treasure would score at the box office. I saw Walk Hard today, and while it wasn't nearly as good as Apatow's previous efforts, it was ridiculously over-the-top and free from pretension...actually, parts were pants-wetting funny. I'm totally rooting for John Reilly. He deserves more recognition.

Also: it's most likely the first mainstream comedy with a cock shoved in front of the screen.

The wrong son died, goddamnit!
mattw

Postby trilonaut on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:15 am

AAAAAAAARGH wrote:
Rick Reuben wrote:National Treasure took in 45 mil,

The success of this movie bewilders me. Much like Rush Hour 3, it's a sequel to a years-old franchise starring C-list actors with laughably little promotion and all signs pointing to critical failure, yet it manages to sweep the box offices in a landslide.

i suspect that the money is in movies that families, teens, and/or kids will see -- low common denominator. i don't think people are expecting much, they don't want a great movie, they just want to take the kids to the theater and sit them down in front of a flickering screen for 100 minutes during christmas break. hence, things like national treasure making mad money.

i am legend apparently had a massively popular opening, in large part because it was pg-13 so tons of teenyboppers could go see it.
trilonaut
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Ranxerox on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:47 pm

While I am shocked that National Treasure did so well, Dewey Cox looks totally fucking stupid to my eyes.

I loved the Larry Sanders Show. Best ever. The 40 Year-Old Virgin was half-assed at best. Superbad was a bore. I just don't have any real taste for that kind of humor.

I have to say Crap for the time being.
Ranxerox
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby dirtbleachd on Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:10 pm

a definite mixed bag for me, but still, i say not crap: so much love for undeclared and freaks and geeks, but goddamn, i will never understand the hype around superbad or 40 year old virgin.

dear mr. apatow,
please, another tv series. please. i grow weary of the shit that's on right now. literally. my sister is currently watching "deal or no deal".
i'd rather have a pony
dirtbleachd
viscount
viscount

Postby Ace on Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:28 pm

dirtbleachd wrote:goddamn, i will never understand the hype around superbad or 40 year old virgin.

i thought superbad was funny! did it get a CRAP on here or something??
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby BClark on Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:59 pm

ok, i have never done this on the EA forums before....

although i think he is not crap, i voted crap because i think the poll results are too overwhelmingly not crap at the moment. the dude is at least 30% crap, i'm just trying to push it in that direction.

but he's more not crap than crap.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby MWilke on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:24 pm

Walk Hard sucked. Luckily it was my dad's treat on xmas eve.
MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby run joe run on Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:32 am

Crap. The guy was born to be middle aged. I've enjoyed his movies when I've watched them and there are some really funny bits, but they have this underlying, all-pervasive craving for all that is safe and reactionary which is a turn off.

If you're going to fetishise normality, at least be weird about it.
run joe run
swedish chef
swedish chef

Postby stephensolo on Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:41 pm

run joe run wrote:Crap. The guy was born to be middle aged. I've enjoyed his movies when I've watched them and there are some really funny bits, but they have this underlying, all-pervasive craving for all that is safe and reactionary which is a turn off.

If you're going to fetishise normality, at least be weird about it.

I agree with this, pretty much. Some of his movies could have been really great had it not been for the forced lessons in living the perfect domestic life.

His movies always glorify an obedient, happy monogamy, which is fine, but I see that message in everything everyday. I don’t need it in my bawdy comedies.
stephensolo
rodeo clown
rodeo clown

Postby Bernardo on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:18 pm

Having seen 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Superbad, the common message seems to be "us nerds can make it". Problem being what constitutes "making it". Still, I like the way the humour is not forced in those movies, there´s very little mechanical setting up of jokes (as opposed to what you find in, say, Adam Sandler pics). The whole improvisation thing in his movies makes them a little Altman-esque, though with a very simplistic world view behind it all.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap