home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Religion: Scientology

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

L Ron Hubby: Benevolent sci-fi celebrity cult king or asshead?

crap
95%
not crap
5%

Total votes : 218

Postby run joe, run on Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:17 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:I have a hard time accepting much of the Old or New Testament at face value, but I think you can still read it as metaphor or fables and get something out of it (maybe a lot of Christians are assholes, but Jesus's teachings by themselves are reasonable and worthy). No matter how you look at Hubbard's stuff, though, the guy was simply a bullshit artist who preyed on the wealthy and stupid, with his followers keeping up that tradition today.

I think Christians and Scientologists are fundamentally as stupid as each other. Subscribing to Scientology seems more wilfully dumb on the face of it, because a lot of Christians are so because of family tradition and the weight of the wider historical culture beefing up the system.

But when you get down to it they're both exactly as stupid as each other.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby bumble on Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:31 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:I have a hard time accepting much of the Old or New Testament at face value, but I think you can still read it as metaphor or fables and get something out of it (maybe a lot of Christians are assholes, but Jesus's teachings by themselves are reasonable and worthy).

Shows what you know. Hubbard sets you RIGHT 'bout JC:

For those of you whose Christian toes I may have stepped on, let me take the opportunity to disabuse you of some lovely myths. For instance, the historic Jesus was not nearly the sainted figure has been made out to be. In addition to being a lover of young boys and men, he was given to uncontrollable bursts of temper and hatred that belied the general message of love, understanding and other typical Marcab PR.

HA HA HA! "[A] lover of young boys and men"! Awesome!

I can't get enough of this guy. Really, he's tops. Plus, he'll miss you:

By the time you read this I will no longer be occupying the body and identity that you have known as Ron.

"[A]s Ron." Ron. Doesn't that goodbye call for a name with a bit more gravitas? Like Billy? or Chet?

I will soon leave this world only to return and complete my mission with another identity. Although I long to stretch my arms back in repose on some distant star in some distant galaxy, it appears that is one dream that will have to wait.
The rundown follows. Again I say, do it thoroughly and completely, for it is your ticket to the stars. And beyond!

And beyond. And beyond, indeed.

I can no longer hold back the tears and stomach quakes of hilarity. Thanks for the gillion chuckles, L. Ron! You batshit crazy Thetan-Diver!

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kspaink/fishman/ot8b.html

Edit: You can find lots of fun information here: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/index.html
bumble
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby bumble on Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:42 pm

run joe, run wrote:But when you get down to it they're both exactly as stupid as each other.

Virgin Birth

vs.

Alien Overlords killing their fellow beings and trapping their energy-thingies ("thetans"), then freezing the energy-thingies in a frozen gaseous mixture, sending that to Earth (note: NOT its real name), putting those energy-thingies in volcanoes, blowing THOSE up with H-bombs, then using some electrical ribbon (totally analog, natch) to trap whatever the fuck remained after the whole killing THEN freezing THEN transporting to Earth THEN blowing up with atomic weapons thing, THEN "implanting" a bunch of these energy-thingies in each of us.

But I mean, whatever.
bumble

Postby Cranius on Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:48 pm

bumble wrote:Edit: You can find lots of fun information here: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/index.html

Cheers, Bumble. This link has loads of hilarious info.

Check out: Secrets of the E-meter

Can any you electronics buffs tell us what this circuit is?
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby gio on Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:03 pm

I don't need to know the history of psychiatry to realize that Dianetics is the biggest load of crap ever penned.

Wait, maybe it's not... hold on while I hook my brain up to my tube amp.
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:12 pm

ironyengine wrote:
Rimbaud III wrote:Those garages are quite obviously too small for those planes. Stupid celebrities.

Where do you suppose their runway is?

And why in the hell do you need TWO? Is there ever going to be an instance when one of those planes is not enough?

the runway is on his property. that's his joint in florida, right? the reason he needs two planes is because one of them, the huge one, is a FUCKING 707!!! it's illegal to fly that plane in the US, because of noise restrictions. so guess what happens? he flies it anyways, and just pays the fines.

http://www.google.com/search?biw=1445&hl=en&q=N707JT

so it makes perfect sense for him to have the smaller bizjet. which he can fly all over the place without problem.

the 707 is flown quite rarely. the bizjet, i'm not sure about, but i'd guess he flies it plenty.
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:20 pm

wow... the aviation photo link (in the link) in my previous post, has all kinda pictures and indicates that his plane is being flown all over the place, all the time... weird. that's very different from the info i had seen previously... interesting...
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby seanurban on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:14 pm

Cranius wrote:Cheers, Bumble. This link has loads of hilarious info.
like this!
seanurban
King High

Postby run joe, run on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:25 pm

bumble wrote:
run joe, run wrote:But when you get down to it they're both exactly as stupid as each other.

Virgin Birth

vs.

Alien Overlords killing their fellow beings and trapping their energy-thingies ("thetans"), then freezing the energy-thingies in a frozen gaseous mixture, sending that to Earth (note: NOT its real name), putting those energy-thingies in volcanoes, blowing THOSE up with H-bombs, then using some electrical ribbon (totally analog, natch) to trap whatever the fuck remained after the whole killing THEN freezing THEN transporting to Earth THEN blowing up with atomic weapons thing, THEN "implanting" a bunch of these energy-thingies in each of us.

But I mean, whatever.

Add to the virgin birth the removal of dinosaurs from the history of the planet, the earth being created in seven days, Noah doing that boat stunt, a bloke coming back from the fucking dead after walking on water and feeding lots of people with magic food, the sea getting parted and all other high flown tales of fantasy, and "heaven" to boot, and you got yourself a deal.

But this was not my point. A Christian and a Scientologist both bypass logic, reason, and common sense in favour of a man made myth which dehumanises them. They both support the abusive power structure of organised religion. They both support the idea of believing in something for which there is at best no proof, at worst damning evidence of what a comical sham their chosen system is. In doing so they both contribute to making the world a more stupid, fucked up and dangerous place than it needs to be.

They are both exactly as stupid as each other, when you get down to it.

But yeah, whatever.

Scientology = super crap.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Antero on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:29 pm

L. Ron Hubbard is the fucking worst science fiction writer I've ever read.

(I was in a bookstore and bored.)

Crap.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:32 pm

Antero wrote:L. Ron Hubbard is the fucking worst science fiction writer I've ever read.

Crap.

really? i read the first two (or was it three) books in the Mission Earth decology, and liked them just fine. then again, i was maybe 20 at the time, still into that whole "reading" thing. meh.

the only two things i can remember about the books at this point are, 1, i thought his future-tech spaceship propulsion system sounded pretty awesome, and 2, the praise for the skill of the future-tech baseball player. his future-tech baseball was pretty dope, too.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby glynnisjohns on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:12 pm

L. Ron Hubbard = fruitcake
glynnisjohns
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby YESCA (33.3) on Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:53 pm

Cranius wrote:Image

Cruise maybe unhinged but Travolta's house is crazy!

:shock:

damn

all religion is shit.
pissing on the wheels of progress.
YESCA (33.3)
convert
convert

Postby mattw on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:03 am

That is the most half-assed salute I've seen in my life. Only a moron like TC would salute like that. Sharp, and to the brow, Tom! There ya go!
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:32 am

Mark Lansing wrote:I have a hard time accepting much of the Old or New Testament at face value

...accepting some!. The bible has no more of a grounding in fact than Zeus or L. Ron's mess of nonsense. The only difference is that Bible based religions have some history on their side.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Antero on Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:34 am

toomanyhelicopters wrote:
Antero wrote:L. Ron Hubbard is the fucking worst science fiction writer I've ever read.

Crap.

really? i read the first two (or was it three) books in the Mission Earth decology, and liked them just fine. then again, i was maybe 20 at the time, still into that whole "reading" thing. meh.

the only two things i can remember about the books at this point are, 1, i thought his future-tech spaceship propulsion system sounded pretty awesome, and 2, the praise for the skill of the future-tech baseball player. his future-tech baseball was pretty dope, too.
I'm kind of a sf/f dork, which means that I have this whole mess of qualifications for a Decent Alternate World, such as a logical structure to technology and so forth, but his prose is simply atrocious, purple as hell and awkward as a boner in gym class. He lacks the subtlety and immersion of the greats. Someone like Gibson or Dick can wrap their words around you, building the universe by degrees of resolution rather than clumsy chunks. My personal favorite in the sci-fi arena, Gene Wolfe, is a brilliant writer by any standard, and creates worlds and characters of tremendous scope and detail, blurring the image at just the right spots to force the reader to participate in this construction.

Here's an excerpt from a book of his:
Alan Corday stopped, momentarily blinded by the flash of a Mars-bound liner getting free from Earth. For an instant the skeletal racks had flashed red against the ink of sky and the one used now pulsated as it cooled. Corday did not like to be blinded here in this place, even for a moment. He wiped a tired hand against his blouse, carefully reassuring himself that his papers and wallet were still in place.

To the north glowed New Chicago, a broad humming city hiding beneath its five stages its hungry, its sick and its uncared-for lame. Civilization was mushroomed up from a mire; the columns were pretty, the fountains in the rich gardens played in many hues, cafes winked their invitations to the rich and under it all was the beggar's whine, a shrill, lost note, but steady enough to someday bring these towers down in wreck.

This is the first passage from "To The Stars." If you actually want to subject yourself to more, you can read the whole first chapter here:
http://www.tothestars.com/chapter1.htm

Basic thing to notice is that his phrasing is clumsy as hell, and creates confusion simply by being bad - "...the one used..." the one WHAT used? Fuck if I know. Worse, he tells rather than shows. See that passage about New Chicago? Someone good would have had no need to say that at all. If it was actually of any importance, it would be woven into the very fabric of the story, and quickly make itself apparent to the reader. Hold it up to the city that Case roams in Gibson's Neuromancer and it withers and dies - Gibson's is vibrant and organic, Hubbard's is a bloated tour guide.

A black cat leaped with a startled squall from his path, crossed it and vanished; Alan laughed nervously at the way the sudden noise had made his hand shake. Jumping from a cat!

Ah hah hah oh you cheeky narrator! Wait, narrator? Why the hell would he insert such a comment unless he was intentionally writing for the developmentally disabled? It's clear from the action, which he describes in horriffic gouts of adjectives and adverbs.

Also, he's a shitty poet.
CONSCIENCE

Racking sobs
Of
A heart
Which cannot cry

This just goes to show that livejournal poetry predates the livejournal.

L. Ron Hubbard's Writing: CRAP.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby run joe, run on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:27 am

Putting the boot in on Hubbard at every oppurtunity, for any reason = NOT CRAP
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby bumble on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:30 am

run joe, run wrote:They are both exactly as stupid as each other, when you get down to it.

Aww, come on, run joe, run. Suspension of reason, all right. You're being very serious, you're right, okay. But this is Scientology. At some point they're supposed to be able to fly and melt your brain just by thinking about it. Brain melting!

What about : : : S P A C E . M O N S T E R S : : : ? That has so much more innate hilarity than "eat of my body, drink of my blood".

At least Scientology makes me laugh out loud. They believe in THIS guy, for the love of bacon:

bumble

Postby steve on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:15 pm

Okay, I can't take it not any more.

antero wrote:Someone like Gibson or Dick can wrap their words around you, building the universe by degrees of resolution rather than clumsy chunks.

I can make so many bad band names from this one sentence! Some of them are even Christian Emo bands! All of these bands are lame!
antero wrote:Someone
Someone like Gibson
Gibson or Dick
Dick can Wrap
Words Around You
Building the Universe
Universe by Degrees
Degrees of Resolution
Resolution
Clumsy
Clumsy Chunks
Chunks
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:41 pm

"Clumsy Chunks" and "Chunks", those aren't so lame.

Steve, you might even have this record.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap