Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

My allegiance lies with:

Fugazi
50%
The Jesus Lizard
50%

Total votes : 426

Postby honeyisfunny on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:11 am

Fugazi's sound changed over the years and if you ask a wide spread of folks who listen to them which of their LPs is their favourite you'd get a wide spread of answers. Their development as a band was good.

TJL seemed more to perfect their sound and then as they changed in the last couple of records it didn't get better as such, so if you asked people which JL album they liked best the vast majority will plump for one of the middle 3 on T&G.

So, Fugazi.
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Adam I on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:18 am

Fugazi's rhythm section started about half a lap ahead of the guitars, but the band managed to maintain quality/identity as the guitars caught, passed and finally lapped it (the rhythm section).

TJL seem like a band pacing itself for 400 metres, and then, having got 75% of the way round the track suddenly deciding to run a marathon.

Still, TJL's best records are better than Fugazi's best records...

I dunno, Slint?
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby projectMalamute on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:27 am

Fugazi are all right, I can even understand how they could be very important to some people. I could even see going with Fugazi based on the recorded output of each band. I was fortunate enough to catch the Jesus Lizard live a few times, probably not as often as many on this board, but enough to get it.

Jesus Lizard, WF never saw Fugazi live.
bandcamp
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby richterbjack on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:07 am

holmes wrote:its the lizard hands down. incredible bands both of them but fugazi border on annoying and vagualy fascist ironically.

Are you referring to the "no slam dancing assholes" stance of the band, or what?
richterbjack
cats
cats

Postby Sebastian J. on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:37 am

I refuse to vote
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Bernardo on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 am

Seemingly imossible, let´s see:

Two of my top five favourite bands.

But Fugazi never released anything shitty, TJL has at least two albums and an EP of mediocre music that I just can´t to listen to, and I still try every now and then.

Gun to my head, The Jesus Lizard would lose. There's no gun to my head, can't bring myself to vote against them, I abstain.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby barndog on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:16 pm

This isn't very difficult for me. Jesus Lizard.
barndog
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby lars on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 pm

The Jesus Lizard.

In a walk.

Not even close to close.
lars
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby HOUSTON_M on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:23 pm

The Jesus Lizard song could make you laugh at the plight of a homeless man and still feel a heightened sympathy for him; mixed feelings would be held in balance and reconciled.

Fugazi's song on the subject would decry the heartless capitalism which creates the problem of "homelessness"; it would be rousing because of the generalized conviction and outrage behind and not because of any reconciliation of pity and scorn in the treatment of its subject.
HOUSTON_M

Postby honeyisfunny on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:37 pm

HOUSTON_M wrote:The Jesus Lizard song could make you laugh at the plight of a homeless man and still feel a heightened sympathy for him; mixed feelings would be held in balance and reconciled.

Fugazi's song on the subject would decry the heartless capitalism which creates the problem of "homelessness"; it would be rousing because of the generalized conviction and outrage behind and not because of any reconciliation of pity and scorn in the treatment of its subject.

What makes both bands great is that like you said, they both succeed in what they set out to do.

How I wish I'd seen the Fugazi/TJL/Leatherface show at Brixton
honeyisfunny

Postby STF on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:43 pm

I like both bands a lot but The Jesus Lizard, at their best, were better than just about any band ever.

Fugazi never did anything as good as Goat. Overall though, they put out more interesting and varied records but nothing ever jumped out at me so much as the Jesus Lizard's "greatest hits" do.

I am glad I saw both bands live a handful of times. TJL were towering live. Enormous.

The Jesus Lizard wins.
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby nathan. on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:45 pm

Oh shit.

I never saw the Jesus Lizard live, while I saw Fugazi just once. In fact, the one show I judge as "the one that got away" was the Fugazi/Ex show at 9:30 in '99 or so (I think that damned fly saw that one). I tried to get that night off at work, and by the time I did, the show was sold out. Lame.

I'd say I probably listen to the Jesus Lizard a lot more nowadays, though there was a period where I listened to "In On the Killtaker" and "Red Medicine" constantly. This is about as close as the "Throbbing Gristle v. Chrome" poll for me, but I'll say Jesus Lizard.

Goddamn you, Marsupialized.
nathan.
doctor hook
doctor hook

Postby cesb on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Ranxerox wrote:TJL.

Not close.

Fugazi great.

Not close.

Yep.
Mike G. | +@-
cesb
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Location: La Grange. No, La Grange ILLINOIS. No, Evanston, I mean.

Postby motorbike guy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:58 pm

its close, but i think i have to go with Yow, Sims, Mac and Denison.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby 242sumner on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Rapeman
242sumner
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby 154 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Fugazi by quite a bit. tJL never put out new records that surprised me in way the later Fugazi stuff did.

the Jesus Lizard were better musicians (well, tighter), but still, Fugazi.

Postby Jeremy B on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Love them both, and have seen them both, several times. The Jesus Lizard, at the height of their powers had absolutely no peer, past, present, or future. Their live shows were a revelation. Fugazi made some great records, and transitioned nicely over the years, but even then they were no match for TJL.

The Jesus Lizard.

-Jeremy
Jon Fine wrote:What had started out as free and welcoming ended up becoming as rigid and rule-bound as everything I'd hoped it would replace.
Jeremy B

Postby Ranxerox on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:24 pm

I bought the first offerings by each of these bands within days of their release. I followed suit with subsequent offerings until I thought that the output flagged. For instance, after Down I never bought another TJL record, and round about IOTKT or Red Med I began to feel Fugazi was hit or miss. Neither sustained the intensity and freshness of their original work, though Fugazi did experiment more successfully on some of their later releases. If innovation within the worlds made by the respective groups is the measure then Fugazi prolly wins by a noticeable but unimpressive margin.

There is, however, no block of production from Fugazi like the spread from Head through Liar. A comparison based on the Highest heights goes to TJL and it is not that close.

I saw these bands live multiple times (TJL about 10 times between '89 and '96, various venues and locales, Fugazi about 6 times between '89 and about '01 (whenever they last played Emo's, which was a great show), various venues and locales). There is no comparison. Fugazi admittedly puts on a great show, but they started well behind TJL and never made a move to reduce the gap. With Fugazi you got to see a great band play with passion while expressing themselves emotionally and intellectually. With TJL you were thrown into an expressionistic maelstrom rife with carnivalesque debauchery, musically-induced vertigos, and not just a little bit of danger. You could expect to bleed or wear someone else's bodily fluids at a TJL show. Sex was in the air, good sex with sweaty bastards. Not so much the case with Fugazi, which, while not fascist, tended to be pedantic or nanny-like. TJL harkened back to Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis. They had THAT kind of rock. Fugazi did not. No comparison.

TJL were better players and their artistry (choice of cover art, for instance) was well beyond Fugazi. By my lights, Fugazi made you want to be a better person, TJL inspired you to be a more interesting person. I prefer the latter, especially as TJL guys are all nice fellas, especially the wee man.

Finally, Fugazi spawned a plethora of lax copycats and mouthy wannabes. TJL were much more difficult to ape, and their progeny are not so annoying as those spawned by Fugazi.

TJL.

Not close.

Fugazi great.

Not close.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Ace on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:59 pm

chairman_hall wrote:Jesus Lizard win this poll by virtue of the fact they are the greatest band of all time.

The first three LPs they put out slay anything and everything. Each component of the band is so good individually and as a totality. Each of these albums also gets better the more you listen to them. You notice something new on every listen.

I listened to Slave Ship on my iPod this morning and I'm pretty sure there is some weird ambient backdrop soundtrack to the main track that I have only just noticed?

Pretty much everything he said. Including the bit about slave ship, I've been listening to that song a lot.
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace

Postby charliedon'tsurf on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:10 pm

The Lizard wins comfortably. I lost interest with the music of Fugazi after Repeater. Even the last two JL albums are good in my opinion. Not as good at the T&G stuff, but still respectable. Live it is not even a contest. The only edge Fugazi has is on ethics which pales compared to the rock itself according to my yardstick.
RBoyer wrote:if you wind up with cake-covered balls, then you're being overzealous
charliedon'tsurf
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap