Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

My allegiance lies with:

Fugazi
50%
The Jesus Lizard
50%

Total votes : 426

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 pm

I saw both bands numerous time live, heard everything each has done and met and hung out with members of both bands several times.

I love the Jesus Lizard, I listen to them more than any other band.

That said, I gotta go Fugazi.

Fugazi's music and memories I have of their live shows touch me unlike any other music I love. It's in my soul, it's part of me.
There have been a few Fugazi shows where I found myself with tears in my eyes it was so powerful, singing along and jumping around to these songs I have been listening to since I was a kid with thousands of other people who have also been listening to them since they were kids.

When I listen to 'Waiting Room' soooooo many memories flood into my brain.
I love The Jesus Lizard, and have plenty of good memories involving them and their shows but nothing like Fugazi.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Adam I on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:20 pm

honeyisfunny wrote:How I wish I'd seen the Fugazi/TJL/Leatherface show at Brixton

Shudder to Think were on the bill too - for my money they slayed most faces that night, perhaps by merit of being a semi-unknown quantity.

Leatherface were absolutely dreadful, natch.
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby mt on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Fugazi. For me a very tough choice.

I just like their songs more. The development over their entire career.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Schaal on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Jesus Lizard>Fugazi

Fugazi has never done much for me (narrowly avoids getting stuck with a shiv from EA members). Especially "the other guy".
Schaal
linus pauling
linus pauling

Postby STF on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:37 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
Fugazi's music and memories I have of their live shows touch me unlike any other music I love. It's in my soul, it's part of me.
There have been a few Fugazi shows where I found myself with tears in my eyes it was so powerful, singing along and jumping around to these songs I have been listening to since I was a kid with thousands of other people who have also been listening to them since they were kids.

Fugazi or Cocorosie?
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:49 pm

STF wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:

Fugazi or Cocorosie?

hardy har har
Marsupialized

Postby Bradley on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Tommy Alpha wrote:
tommydski wrote:
holmes wrote:fugazi border on annoying and vagualy fascist ironically.

:?:

For reals. WTF?

I voted for fugazi, but I get where he's coming from (I think). One thing I noticed watching the Instrument dvd was that, for a band founded on a punk rock ethos, they sure do spend a lot of time telling people what they can and cannot do...
Bradley
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby Bernardo on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Bradley wrote:for a band founded on a punk rock ethos, they sure do spend a lot of time telling people what they can and cannot do...

"..at THEIR concerts" was the end of that sentence I hope.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bradley on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Bernardo wrote:
Bradley wrote:for a band founded on a punk rock ethos, they sure do spend a lot of time telling people what they can and cannot do...

"..at THEIR concerts" was the end of that sentence I hope.

No, it wasn't. It was "basically all the time, in whatever they do. "
Bradley
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Bradley wrote:
Tommy Alpha wrote:
tommydski wrote:

For reals. WTF?

I voted for fugazi, but I get where he's coming from (I think). One thing I noticed watching the Instrument dvd was that, for a band founded on a punk rock ethos, they sure do spend a lot of time telling people what they can and cannot do...

you are way off base.

They ask people not to be violent and destructive at their shows because guess who is responsible if someone destroys a bunch oif shit at the venue? Or breaks their neck slam dancing? Who's the kids parents gonna sue?
They would be the target, they had no label or teams of lawyers or what have you to deal with such things. they did it all on their own, every step of teh way.
One real bad incident could have destroyed everything they had built and worked for.
So yeah, I'd ask people not to destroy shit and please don't crowd surf as well if I'm in that position. One show you can't jump on people's heads at, big deal, grow up.
Marsupialized

Postby STF on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 pm

On a somewhat related note, years ago I bought a ticket to a (Sebadoh) show and the woman who sold it to me took a moment to point out that it said very clearly on the ticket, in all capitals, "NO BODYSURFING."

"I'll leave my boogie board at home," I told her.
STF

Postby eliya on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:28 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
Bradley wrote:
Tommy Alpha wrote:
tommydski wrote:

For reals. WTF?

you are way off base.

They ask people not to be violent and destructive at their shows because guess who is responsible if someone destroys a bunch oif shit at the venue? Or breaks their neck slam dancing? Who's the kids parents gonna sue?
They would be the target, they had no label or teams of lawyers or what have you to deal with such things. they did it all on their own, every step of teh way.
One real bad incident could have destroyed everything they had built and worked for.
So yeah, I'd ask people not to destroy shit and please don't crowd surf as well if I'm in that position. One show you can't jump on people's heads at, big deal, grow up.

I don't think it's the fear of being sued, I think it's just that they didn't want these unfortunate things to happen while they're playing. no? I mean, they seem like the most caring people ever.
eliya

Postby bart favre on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:31 pm

If I were to base it soley on what records I still listen to often/these days it would be TJL by a mile.

I still put on TJL records on purpose. often
Fugazi sort of appears when the ipod is on random.

don't get me wrong I love them both, but this is thunderdome bitch!
bart favre
fletcher rabbit
fletcher rabbit

Postby greg on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:35 pm

The Jesus Lizard.
There was some magic in their shows wich can't be faked or contrived.
The Fugazi comes off kind of humorless and young minded. I don't get too energized by what people say in their songs. I think a lot of their music is amazing though.
Last edited by greg on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Bradley on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:35 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
Bradley wrote:
Tommy Alpha wrote:
tommydski wrote:

For reals. WTF?

you are way off base.

I can understand that logic, and I can understand the logic of not wanting their fans who there just to check them out to get an errant boot to the head. I don't think that's my main gripe though.

Things like.. specifically removing the marshall logo from all guitar heads.. oh I'm sure they just coincidentally all fell off in moving them around - bullshit.

I think that's a perfect metaphor for it really - they would have you believe that everything they do falls into place because of their approach but it obviously does not. They owe a debt to a lot of people and bands that flew in the face of their politics, etc, but that's never addressed.

Also.. for all the "just a guitar into an amp" rhetoric.. why am I hearing ring modulated guitar during live stuff?

Again, I love this band, but I'm calling a spade a spade here.
Bradley
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby Ernest on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Bradley wrote:

Did we see the same Instrument, because there was nothing remotely fascist about Fugazi in the movie.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:57 pm

Bradley wrote:Things like.. specifically removing the marshall logo from all guitar heads.. oh I'm sure they just coincidentally all fell off in moving them around - bullshit

Why would you care about this? It's his amp, if he wants to paint unicorns on it that's his business.

Bradley wrote:they would have you believe that everything they do falls into place because of their approach but it obviously does not. They owe a debt to a lot of people and bands that flew in the face of their politics, etc, but that's never addressed

I don't understand what you mean with this part. They talk about their influences all the time, they talk about other bands they admire all the time.

Bradley wrote:Also.. for all the "just a guitar into an amp" rhetoric.. why am I hearing ring modulated guitar during live stuff?

I have heard all the live stuff as well and I hear a guitar into an amp on one side and a guitar into a wah into a distortion pedal on the other.
A few parts in a few songs have some soundboard echo and reverb. That's all I hear.

Bradley wrote:Again, I love this band, but I'm calling a spade a spade here.

You are nit picking, your problems with this band don;t add up to much at all.
They take the Marshall name plates off their amps.
If that's the main issue you have with a band that's probably a pretty good band.
Marsupialized

Postby STF on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Bradley wrote:Things like.. specifically removing the marshall logo from all guitar heads.. oh I'm sure they just coincidentally all fell off in moving them around - bullshit.

I think that's a perfect metaphor for it really - they would have you believe that everything they do falls into place because of their approach but it obviously does not. They owe a debt to a lot of people and bands that flew in the face of their politics, etc, but that's never addressed.

Also.. for all the "just a guitar into an amp" rhetoric.. why am I hearing ring modulated guitar during live stuff?

Again, I love this band, but I'm calling a spade a spade here.

I think you're being too fussy. I admire that Fugazi was committed to maintaining control of their work and providing records and performances at a reasonable price. I don't care that they asked people not to act like asses at their shows. I was never all that interested in any "message" in their music. I just liked it. They were outstanding musicians - much more than just a "political" band.
STF

Postby Bradley on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
Bradley wrote:Things like.. specifically removing the marshall logo from all guitar heads.. oh I'm sure they just coincidentally all fell off in moving them around - bullshit

Why would you care about this? It's his amp, if he wants to paint unicorns on it that's his business.

Bradley wrote:they would have you believe that everything they do falls into place because of their approach but it obviously does not. They owe a debt to a lot of people and bands that flew in the face of their politics, etc, but that's never addressed

I don't understand what you mean with this part. They talk about their influences all the time, they talk about other bands they admire all the time.

You are nit picking, your problems with this band don;t add up to much at all.
They take the Marshall name plates off their amps.
If that's the main issue you have with a band that's probably a pretty good band.

Hey I never said they weren't a good band.

The reason I pointed out the marshall logo is because I'm curious as the motivations behind it.

And what I meant by other bands is that.. they got into this music because "punk rock is freedom" etc etc.. yet they condemn a lot of the elements of this scene that most likely attracted them to it in the first place. I just think that's kind of hypocritical.

..And yes, I'm being way too fussy, but this started because I responded to someone else's post in which I said I felt I knew what he meant, and I'm providing supporting evidence.
Bradley
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby Bernardo on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:09 pm

Bradley wrote:Things like.. specifically removing the marshall logo from all guitar heads.. oh I'm sure they just coincidentally all fell off in moving them around - bullshit.

And what does any of this have anything to do with telling people what to do? Three concrete examples of them telling people what to do in situations other than at their own concerts are?

Because I never got that from them at all, saw them live two times, too. When The Evens came to Brazil they asked people to sing along to a few songs, and told them to download shit off the internet whenever they wanted, maybe that qualifies?
Bernardo

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap