Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

CCR vs VU

CCR
44%
VU
56%

Total votes : 131

Postby pwalshj on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:15 am

Dr.Venkman wrote:Creedence by a pseudo-country fucking mile.

FYP

CCR, easy.
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tmidgett on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:40 am

I love Creedence, but the Velvet Underground is my favorite band.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby lars on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:08 am

Creedence. I got the Silver Eagle Records compilation off TV when I was 12, and that was that. Just listened to Green River this weekend with my kids, ages 4 and 10 months. They started dancing to it right away.

VU: Like this band very much. Appreciate them a lot. But they don't get me where I live.
lars
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby scott on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:33 pm

CCR, I'm not a huge fan or anything, but I like em okay.

VU, I like some of their songs a little, but in generally, if a band had a face, I would punch this band in the face with an iron fist.

Easy, easy choice. CCR, hands down.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:46 pm

I made my decision.

The Velvet Underground were my gateway band to all of the punk and postpunk I listened to, and I dream of Lou Reed's early guitar tone.

Creedence Clearwater Revival wrote some unbefuckingliveable rock and roll singles, and I dream of John Fogerty's early guitar tone.

It's the Velvets, but I adore Creedence.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby HOUSTON_M on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:42 am

I have a very high regard for The Velvet Underground and think that the beauty of their best music is underappreciated.

This said, I don't respond to VU's music the way I do to the best CCR songs; the intro to "Green River" and the way the band works together on "Sinister Purpose"; the indignation of "Fortunate Son", the truthfulness of "Someday Never Comes"; all this means more to me than what the VU did.

It's not just a city / country thing or an East Coast versus West Coast thing; John Fogerty eschewed degeneracy and detachment and even though his approach might seem false and sentimental in his depiction of the American South the full effect of it as an imaginative effort doesn't strike me as bogus.

Against this let's look at immediate lineage and influence:

VU (with The Stooges & Beefheart) --> Pere Ubu

CCR --> Status Quo.

If I can be pointed to two successive MC5 songs on any of their records that have the same contrasting yet complementary impact as "Dirt" and "1970" then I'll concede that they were up there with The Stooges.
The perfect side-to-side clasp of these two raw and expansive performances has never been matched in my opinion. The essence of rock is in these two songs.

That said, High Time is an overlooked record and there is considerable intelligence behind the songs.
HOUSTON_M

Postby DasWiso on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

I'm far more likely to put a VU album on than a CCR album - any day of the week - except a party day, then CCR goes on.

I voted for the VU since i could easily be stuck on an island with their output over the same with CCR's, but just barely. So a high stack of hash Waffles.
DasWiso
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby BClark on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:24 pm

HOUSTON_M wrote:I have a very high regard for The Velvet Underground and think that the beauty of their best music is underappreciated.

VU is a really great band. but underappreciated? the VU is a critic's darling, whose importance and "hip" popularity has been resurrected (and insisted upon) time and time again by the "hip" music press ever since their career. also, contrary to popular legend, i don't think they were even all that underappreciated while they were still active. affiliation with warhol, lou reed's ability to collaborate with big names such as bowie immediately after the VU career, placing on the billboard 200, etc.... all this indicates to me that they actually got their fair share of appreciation, attention, etc, while they were active and certainly since then.

anyhow they were a great band, and imo almost as good as CCR. but concerning influence.... well, to paraphrase buzz osborne.... VU is cool and all, but i'm really kind of tired of hearing all these bands that cite them as a big influence.

(actually, the only 2 such bands i have ever enjoyed are JAMC and bedhead)
Last edited by BClark on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Check out the video we just put out for the song Poison.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:01 pm

This is a tough one, but my vote is going to the Velvet Underground.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Red Square on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:40 pm

man, this is too unfair, i can't do this...
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby a. james on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:22 am

velvet's. easy.

two albums worth sitting through. two more if you're feeling adventurous.

CCR? a mix cd at best. maybe one or two albums certainly worth sitting through, but not four. plus their impact on music? americana/roots rock? thanks ccr for john mellencamp, tom petty (maybe), some other far more forgettable bands that although i know they exist i have forgotten the names and songs.

besides, VU at least spit out lou reed's solo career which has more than one high point (debatable, i know.)

fogerty's solo career? all i know is "old man down the road" and "centerfield." i'll pass.

VU. (though i spite them for nico and john cale.)
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby Colonel Panic on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 am

Stylistic Diversity:

Go to www.seeqpod.com

Search for and listen to these songs: "Rock and Roll", "Jesus", "The Black Angel's Death Song", "After Hours", "Venus in Furs", "Who Loves The Sun", "The Murder Mystery", "White Light/White Heat" and "Sister Ray"...

Now search up "Fortunate Son", "Bad Moon Rising", "Down On The Corner", "Lodi", "Run Through the Jungle", "Green River", "Born on the Bayou", "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" and "Travellin' Band"...

Which band exhibited a greater variation of styles? Which band was more innovative?
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic

Postby ERawk on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:23 pm

I remember hearing CCR as a young kid (ages 4-10) but of course when I was really young, if it wasn't on MTV, I wasn't interested. Later in my teen years, I came around to like all the CCR staples one hears on classic rock radio. My dad had a fair amount of CCR albums. I spun them a few times but they didn't become albums that I obsessively listened to over and over again like Zep, Sabbath, Beatles, etc. I can't remember the last time I broke those albums out.

I think I was about 14 when I first heard VU knowing it was VU. One of the NYC radio stations that was somewhat decent at the time would occasionally play "Rock and Roll". I liked it and got around to buying Velvet Underground and Nico about a year or so later (I know "Rock and Roll" was on Loaded but at the time it was either buying VU&N for 9 bucks or the two disc Loaded set for 20). When I put it on, I was wondering if this was the same band that did "Rock and Roll". It took years for me to really get into VU&N it but I eventually bought all four of the studio albums and listen to them. Sometimes in obsessive phases.

Velvet Underground for me, please.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:43 pm

that damned fly wrote:VU. (though i spite them for nico and john cale.)

Not trying to be an ass, but I whole heartedly disagree with about 99% of your posts. Just sayin'.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Red Square on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:57 pm

i'll say this for CCR though, for a band that wrote songs about the southeast part of americana and had never even ventured out to those parts they captured the feeling of this area brilliantly...
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby japmn on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:09 pm

I care not for CCR.

VU... easy.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby cwiko on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:05 pm

Two bands at polar opposites of the spectrum for me:

The VU always seemed pretty damn pretentious almost rock-star-ish to me, whereas CCR always came across as pretty face-value, imageless, more about the music.

Skronk wrote:
big_dave wrote:CCR are an obsession.

For who? People that can't get enough southern rock?

C'mon. Really? Southern Rock? I suppose you think ZZ Top is southern rock, too?
cwiko
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Richard on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:44 pm

ipitcher wrote:CCR. No contest.

That this is even a reasonable discussion is laughable. I mean, seriously. Christ Fuck.
condoms filled with frog bollocks and sawdust
Richard
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby a. james on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:28 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
that damned fly wrote:VU. (though i spite them for nico and john cale.)

Not trying to be an ass, but I whole heartedly disagree with about 99% of your posts. Just sayin'.

it's ok, the crowd is on your side.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby Get dog costumes on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:01 am

The VU are still influential, and many of my favorite bands would not be if not for them. Yet I don't go back to their albums. I like the guitar playing, Lou's vocals, and "Heroin," but that's about it.

I don't know of CCR being influential, but I love so many of their songs. Certainly they weren't nearly as ambitious, but I'd rather listen to "Ramble Tamble" than any long VU track. And the Cook/Clifford rhythm section is excellent. So I'll take CCR.

Saying I "respect" a band seems like a cop-out to me, but I think that's the appropriate stance to take on the VU here. They probably had a hand in the greatness of Can, Bedhead, and Silkworm, so I respect them for their ideas even if I don't listen to them.
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap