melvins vs pixies

melvins
63%
pixies
37%

Total votes : 71

Postby HOUSTON_M on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:44 am

The Pixies:

I strongly dislike the silly guitar lines in "The Holiday Song" and "Debaser"; in fact, fuck those songs completely!

Watching people "moving along" (like the sheep and the lambs they are) and singing along to these songs is enough to make me want to strike them!

That guitar hook in "Here Comes Your Man" can go to hell, though I quite like the way Black Francis and Kim Deal harmonize and push their vocals at the end of the song.

When Black Francis turned his songwriting knack to burnished pop I find the results enjoyable - "Monkey Gone To Heaven" , "Dig For Fire".

The early stuff - "Come On Pilgrim" and "Surfer Rosa" is too amateurish in a "garage band" and "college rock" way for my taste and the subsequent releases were too slick for me.

That B-sides compilation is very poor in my opinion, filled with disposable songs.

The Melvins can bore but their work is of a whole and the good moments are numerous.

Melvins it is.
HOUSTON_M

Postby a. james on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:52 am

i pass on both.

i'm sorry, i mean i piss on both.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Re: thunderdome: melvins vs pixies

Postby Dudley on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:06 am

BClark wrote:(someone, in the velvets vs ccr poll, argued for the velvets, citing "influence" as a factor... along these lines, i should point out that the pixies gave us oasis, weezer, modest mouse, arctic monkeys, etc, while the melvins gave us neurosis, earth, mastodon, eyehategod, high on fire, isis, crowbar, boris, etc; this leaves us with the melvins as the overwhelmingly "more important" band).

Hang on. They "gave us" these bands? How did the Pixies give us Oasis? Given that Oasis talk about and blatantly imitate their influences endlessly, I've never heard them cite the Pixies or anything even vaguely similar. I don't know enough about the others to say either way, but if the Pixies "gave us" these bands them I'm guessing that means the influence is pretty strong, and I don't really hear it (in what little I've heard of Weezer etc). They play guitars, but... The Arctic Monkeys seem more in the Wedding Present/Smiths tradition, but ????

Sure "influence" can be a valid factor, but this looks like you listing a bunch of bands you don't like and attaching them to/blaming them on the Pixies, and then a bunch of bands you do like and attaching them to the Melvins. What about all the bad bands influenced by the Melvins and vice versa?

Maybe we can detect common ground in music we like/don't like, but that's not necessarily the same as "influence", is it?

As for me, probably the Pixies. I probably listen to the Melvins more now, but that's because the Pixies are kind of engrained in my brain.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Re: thunderdome: melvins vs pixies

Postby BClark on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:16 pm

Dudley wrote:
What about all the bad bands influenced by the Melvins and vice versa?

i just don't happen to think there's much of a vice versa, especially when compared with how people have developed certain techniques that the melvins came up with. but anyhow, you're right, the "influence" factor isn't totally relevant. just thought i'd bring it up because many people keep bringing up the "historical significance and subsequent influence" issue in the VU vs CCR poll (invariably in favor of VU).
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Check out the video we just put out for the song Poison.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby timpickens on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:23 pm

The Pixies never really did much for me. Definitely the Melvins on this one.
timpickens
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby mfpole on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Pixies. I grew up with this band. My middle school years were defined by the Pixies (whatever that means).

My dad and I have always had our own thunderdome of Pavement Vs. Pixies. He voted Pavement, I voted Pixies.
mfpole
busher
busher

Postby glynnisjohns on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:14 pm

mfpole wrote:Pixies. I grew up with this band. My middle school years were defined by the Pixies (whatever that means).

My dad and I have always had our own thunderdome of Pavement Vs. Pixies. He voted Pavement, I voted Pixies.

Your Dad is a gentleman and a scholar or at least closer to my age than yours.

I like 'em both and your Dad is cool beans.
glynnisjohns

Postby madmanmunt on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:23 am

Jesus, people!

Melvins.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby ubercooldave on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:46 pm

glynnisjohns wrote:
mfpole wrote:Pixies. I grew up with this band. My middle school years were defined by the Pixies (whatever that means).

Your Dad is a gentleman and a scholar or at least closer to my age than yours.

I like 'em both and your Dad is cool beans.

are you trying to make a move on someone else's father, glynnisjohns? yes i know ive never spoken to you before, or in fact posted on this forum before. By the way, i like your display picture, the subtitle should be "sarah palin strikes again"

Pixies, i love "come on pilgrim", although this decision is pretty premature because ive only just started listening to Houdini by the Melvins

i just wanted my first post to matter, okay.
ubercooldave

Postby TRIFECTA on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:07 pm

MELVINS will rip the pixies head off, drink their blood, fuck em in the ass, shit down their throats, and hang there head on their amps, then slay some shit.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME, THEN DON'T READ MY FUCKING POSTS

"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality".
-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
TRIFECTA
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Jujyfruits on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:52 pm

TRIFECTA wrote:MELVINS will rip the pixies head off, drink their blood, fuck em in the ass, shit down their throats, and hang there head on their amps, then slay some shit.

And after all that, they still wouldn't be even remotely as good as them.
Jujyfruits
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby Colonel Panic on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Melvins, no contest.

I have always considered the Pixies to be a good band, but a one-trick pony. Melvins have at least 3 or 4 tricks up their sleeves.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic

Postby ChristopherM on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:45 pm

Oh, and fuck Mars Volta.
ChristopherM
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Verbs and Nouns on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:06 am

Mark Van Deel wrote:
drew patrick wrote:This "Thunderdome" matchup does not even make sense.

It does seem a little like "What's better: Dogs or Cheese?".

Dogs!

Not wait, Cheese!

AAAAARGH!

Dianogah wrote:"cold coffee and warm firm breasts"
Verbs and Nouns
piece of shoe
piece of shoe

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:10 am

that damned fly wrote:i pass on both.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Antero on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:02 am

The Pixies.

They

you know

write better songs
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Colonel Panic on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:02 am

Not

really,

they don't.

They just have a greater percentage of pop-oriented songs.

The Pixies had one great album, maybe 4 or 5 great songs besides. The Melvins on the other hand, have several great albums and many great songs. They've been far more prolific and have turned out much more diverse and interesting material.

I get the feeling that most people who are voting "Pixies" aren't familiar with even a third of the Melvins' total output.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic

Postby fishingrhod on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:00 am

The Melvins by default because as the years have passed Black Francis's vocals have started to grate in a bad way. annoying whiny bastard.

like Trompe Le Monde a lot though.
boxer wrote:Once my friend dreamt he was eating an apple and awoke to find my cock in his mouth.
fishingrhod
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby placeholder on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:09 am

Melvins, easily.

The Pixies are a bland pop group. Sometimes Frank Black screams a little or they play their little Beatles-y songs through some distortion, but I don't know what the big deal is. I've tried to "get" the Pixies, but I'm just bored by them. I like a few songs, but the reverence people have for them is inexplicable.

The Melvins have been consistently great for years and years now. They are a spectacular rock band.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Dr. Geek on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:38 am

The Pixies suck. Yeah, yeah, spare me your arguments. Believe me, I've heard it all before.

The Melvins have sucked starting with Stag. But their early output . . . incredible.

So, based on the least amout of sucktitude, I gotta hand this one to the Melvins.
My Radio Show: Hex Enduction Hours On 91.3 FM KXCI Tucson - Recent Playlists

Bringing you the best punk, post-punk, and noise rock from the US/UK and beyond! Every Thursday midnight to 3AM MST (stream online at http://www.kxci.org)
Dr. Geek
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap