Coil?

CRAP
13%
NOT CRAP
88%

Total votes : 40

Band: Coil

Postby placeholder on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:09 am

Coil are about as far as you can get from crap. I have most of their stuff (all that I'm lacking is the insanely expensive, collector-baiting limited edition stuff), and I can't think of anything in their entire catalogue that I don't think is great. I just got my copy of the ANS boxset (three CDs of music composed for and played on the Russian ANS synthesizer, which I think was also used on the soundtrack for Solaris) yesterday, and it is a mindblow.

The only thing about Coil I don't particularly care for is the whole "ritual magick" thing, which I think is asinine. Maybe it's integral to their music-making, but fantastical nonsense like that always seems silly to me, and makes me want to take the participants less seriously. Luckily, I enjoy their work enough to ignore that stuff.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Into the Void on Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:21 pm

Extreme Not Crap. Almost, possibly, even better than Throbbing Gristle.
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby ironyengine on Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:36 am

I have heard exactly one Coil song out that I liked out of however many I've had to listen to. I'm very sorry about Jhonn, or however, he spelled it, but I have to vote crap.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:52 pm

wes9 wrote:Extreme Not Crap. Almost, possibly, even better than Throbbing Gristle.

i wouldn't go that far, but goddamn great anyway...
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Jeremy B on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:03 am

i can't say I get ga-ga over them like some friends of mine. They have two albums that I think are great; "Love's Secret Domain" & "Horse Rotorvator."(sp?). "Stolen & Contaminated Songs" has 'Nasa Arab' which is by far the best thing they ever did. still "not crap."

-jeremy
Jeremy B
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Phaserboy on Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:10 pm

From Scatology through Horse Rotorvator to the later Time Machines et al

Coil created and transcended multiple genres of Electronic Music / Sound creation.

Coil were heavily involved with Clive Barker during the making of Hellraiser. They inspired the Pinhead character after lending Barker a copy of one of their body piercing magazines. unfortunatley they were kicked off the project when American backers got involved and increased the budget - turning the film in to a blockbuster style film (Higher financial returns were then expected) instead of the English arthouse film it was initially intended to be. Coil's music was deemed TOO Scary for American consumption. ahha

A very well researched, often mis-understood and underated band.

most definitley NOT CRAP

RIP Jhon.
Phaserboy
jock
jock

Postby Into the Void on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Any comments on the last official Coil album, "The Ape Of Naples?" I think it is one of their strongest efforts. Actually, I can barely listen to it since it is so emotional, due to the circumstances.
Into the Void

Postby Jeremy B on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 pm

wes9 wrote:Any comments on the last official Coil album, "The Ape Of Naples?" I think it is one of their strongest efforts. Actually, I can barely listen to it since it is so emotional, due to the circumstances.

Solid album, in consideration of the circumstances. Maybe I'm wrong, but this album contains half of the 'Backwards' sessions? Definitely one of the Coil albums worth owning.

-Jeremy
Jeremy B

Postby glynnisjohns on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:24 am

Loves Secret Domain.

Great record.
glynnisjohns
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Rimbaud III on Thu May 18, 2006 5:14 am

NC.

Looking forward to fleshing out my collection this weekend.
Rimbaud III

Postby RSMurphy on Thu May 18, 2006 4:26 pm

wes9 wrote: Almost, possibly, even better than Throbbing Gristle.

This isn't true.

I remember finding the Unreleased Themes from Hellraiser 10" years ago. I also vivdly remember being a jackass and selling it in my great record purge of the mid-nineties. Still reeling from that one.

Not Crap
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby placeholder on Fri May 19, 2006 7:16 am

H-GM wrote:I remember finding the Unreleased Themes from Hellraiser 10" years ago. I also vivdly remember being a jackass and selling it in my great record purge of the mid-nineties. Still reeling from that one.

Randall, you may already know this, but the entirety of that 10" has been rereleased on the compilation album Unnatural History II. It's a lot easier to find that the record itself.
placeholder

Postby falsedog on Fri May 19, 2006 8:26 am

Not crap, largely due to Sleazy's quality control. The "magick" thing is hard to accept but the music exists as it does because they believe in it. Otherwise it would be Nine Inch Nails type shit. During the recording of Love's Secret Domain, the studio was beseiged by powerful spirits...an experience made all the more frightening for the fact that they were all tripping their faces off on MDMA at the time.

Saw John on the telly once, something about Al Crowley; he seemed really embarrassed to be talking about his beliefs, Sleazy very forceful in his scatological convictions.
falsedog
kareem abdul jabbar
kareem abdul jabbar

Postby RSMurphy on Fri May 19, 2006 11:47 am

placeholder wrote:Randall, you may already know this, but the entirety of that 10" has been rereleased on the compilation album Unnatural History II. It's a lot easier to find that the record itself.

I did not know this. Thank you!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Johnny 13 on Fri May 19, 2006 3:29 pm

placeholder wrote:
H-GM wrote:I remember finding the Unreleased Themes from Hellraiser 10" years ago. I also vivdly remember being a jackass and selling it in my great record purge of the mid-nineties. Still reeling from that one.

Randall, you may already know this, but the entirety of that 10" has been rereleased on the compilation album Unnatural History II. It's a lot easier to find that the record itself.

I have never been sure how fast to play it. Do you know if it is 33 or 45? I ripped the vinyl last year when I was experimenting, and decided on 45. It sounds better to me, so I don't care if I am wrong, but I would like to know.
Johnny 13

Postby placeholder on Fri May 19, 2006 5:58 pm

Johnny 13 wrote:I have never been sure how fast to play it. Do you know if it is 33 or 45? I ripped the vinyl last year when I was experimenting, and decided on 45. It sounds better to me, so I don't care if I am wrong, but I would like to know.

I'm honestly not sure what speed the vinyl is meant to be played at. I've only ever had those songs on the compilation CD. Sorry.
placeholder

Postby lhooqtius on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:11 pm

Coil have had some mediocre releases, to be sure, though never total crap. However, everything they ever did wrong was more than made up for by the Horse Rotorvator and Love's Secret Domain albums.
lhooqtius
troll
troll

Postby agent202 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:27 am

so not crap!!
every morning, all day i put myself away...
agent202
doyle brunson
doyle brunson

Postby rashiedgarrison on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:22 am

Johnny 13 wrote:
placeholder wrote:

I have never been sure how fast to play it. Do you know if it is 33 or 45? I ripped the vinyl last year when I was experimenting, and decided on 45. It sounds better to me, so I don't care if I am wrong, but I would like to know.

Oddly enough, this is the only Coil record I own, so I just went and checked for you, and as it doesn't tell you what rpm to play it at, I guess it's up to you!

Best

Rashied
rashiedgarrison
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Re: Band: Coil

Postby Isabelle Gall on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:47 pm

Load of wank.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Next