Killing Joke?

CRAP
3%
NOT CRAP
97%

Total votes : 143

Re: Band: Killing Joke

Postby SecondEdition on Wed May 06, 2009 4:35 pm

Geordie's guitar tone is really inimitable. No guitar player I can think of sounds like that guy. How he gets an old Gibson hollowbody to sound like that is anyone's guess...

I also like that this poll is almost unanimously Not Crap.

The weird thing about this band for me is that I have never ever felt compelled to go beyond their first two albums. That's all the band's ever needed to do in my eyes. I once picked up Revelations and found it unmemorable, so I don't really care that much about anything else they did. Those first two albums, though, wow.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Ace on Wed May 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Just watched the video for 'eighties' on youtube. I think i'll watch it again.

Christ, every member of this band was extraordinarily good looking.
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby BadComrade on Thu May 07, 2009 2:12 am

SecondEdition wrote:How he gets an old Gibson hollowbody to sound like that is anyone's guess...

I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby flameme on Thu May 07, 2009 6:58 am

From wikipedia: "Coleman has studied and played music from many cultures, and is a multi-instrumentalist. He studied Arabic music at the Cairo Conservatoire and has a passion for Czech folk music and Māori music, among others. One of his Māori pieces is the "Second Symphony for Māori Voice and Orchestra".[1] He was involved in adding a verse in the Māori language to the New Zealand national anthem; it was sung by Māori singer Hinewehi Mohi at the 1999 Rugby World Cup match, and after some controversy the verse was officially added."

Jaz Coleman helped to rewrite my countries national anthem. Wicked.
flameme
ensign
ensign

Postby noise&light on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:32 am

Are You Receiving?

Someone reminded that the first album came out 30 years ago, October 26, 1979. Some music ages well.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby B_M_L on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:19 am

flameme wrote:From wikipedia: "Coleman has studied and played music from many cultures, and is a multi-instrumentalist. He studied Arabic music at the Cairo Conservatoire and has a passion for Czech folk music and Māori music, among others. One of his Māori pieces is the "Second Symphony for Māori Voice and Orchestra".[1] He was involved in adding a verse in the Māori language to the New Zealand national anthem; it was sung by Māori singer Hinewehi Mohi at the 1999 Rugby World Cup match, and after some controversy the verse was officially added."

No he didn't.

I know some people who had personal dealings with Jaz – they didn’t enjoy the experience. They called him megalomaniac amongst other things. I’ve always thought that it was just down to a bad experience maybe, and that he might be tough to work with. But re-writing the NZ National anthem! That’s crazy talk and makes me think that they were spot on.

The Maori version of the anthem was written in 1878 (or 1879) – and was taught reasonably widely, especially after the Maori Language Act in 1987. But it wasn’t used at sporting events. We sung it at school in the early 80’s. And it was sung at my university graduation in the 90’s.

Hinewehi Mohi decided to sing the verses in Maori as well as English at the world cup in 1999. This may have been at Jazzers encouragement – but you’d have to ask Hinewehi about that. But there wasn’t anything ‘new’ about this apart from its context.

And the debate was around whether it should be ‘officially’ sung in both languages – not whether this ‘new’ version should be official, Maori was already an official language and the version that was sung had already existed for 120 years.

At the time the Language commission decided it would a good idea in terms of promoting the learning of Maori to encourage people to learn & sing both. And sporting groups were encouraged to have both languages sung especially if their events were being televised. There is still no official protocol about what version should be sung and where, the is certainly no law (apart from the Treaty of Waitangi Act, and the Maori Language Act which both predate Jaz from even being in the country) but in most cases people choose to sing both language versions because it sounds better and is more meaningful for them - nobody is compelled to do it.

So when he says this to the BBC

My favourite song is the New Zealand national anthem, in which I take a credit for changing it from English into the native Maori tongue.

He’s just talking absolute crap. What a dick.
B_M_L
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby a. james on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am

BadComrade wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:How he gets an old Gibson hollowbody to sound like that is anyone's guess...

something about the pickups too, no?
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby TheMilford on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:56 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Geordie's guitar tone is really inimitable. No guitar player I can think of sounds like that guy. How he gets an old Gibson hollowbody to sound like that is anyone's guess...

A very LARGE Gibson hollowbody at that
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Gramsci on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:16 pm

B_M_L wrote:
flameme wrote:From wikipedia: "Coleman has studied and played music from many cultures, and is a multi-instrumentalist. He studied Arabic music at the Cairo Conservatoire and has a passion for Czech folk music and Māori music, among others. One of his Māori pieces is the "Second Symphony for Māori Voice and Orchestra".[1] He was involved in adding a verse in the Māori language to the New Zealand national anthem; it was sung by Māori singer Hinewehi Mohi at the 1999 Rugby World Cup match, and after some controversy the verse was officially added."

No he didn't.

I know some people who had personal dealings with Jaz – they didn’t enjoy the experience. They called him megalomaniac amongst other things. I’ve always thought that it was just down to a bad experience maybe, and that he might be tough to work with. But re-writing the NZ National anthem! That’s crazy talk and makes me think that they were spot on.

The Maori version of the anthem was written in 1878 (or 1879) – and was taught reasonably widely, especially after the Maori Language Act in 1987. But it wasn’t used at sporting events. We sung it at school in the early 80’s. And it was sung at my university graduation in the 90’s.

Hinewehi Mohi decided to sing the verses in Maori as well as English at the world cup in 1999. This may have been at Jazzers encouragement – but you’d have to ask Hinewehi about that. But there wasn’t anything ‘new’ about this apart from its context.

And the debate was around whether it should be ‘officially’ sung in both languages – not whether this ‘new’ version should be official, Maori was already an official language and the version that was sung had already existed for 120 years.

At the time the Language commission decided it would a good idea in terms of promoting the learning of Maori to encourage people to learn & sing both. And sporting groups were encouraged to have both languages sung especially if their events were being televised. There is still no official protocol about what version should be sung and where, the is certainly no law (apart from the Treaty of Waitangi Act, and the Maori Language Act which both predate Jaz from even being in the country) but in most cases people choose to sing both language versions because it sounds better and is more meaningful for them - nobody is compelled to do it.

So when he says this to the BBC

My favourite song is the New Zealand national anthem, in which I take a credit for changing it from English into the native Maori tongue.

He’s just talking absolute crap. What a dick.

Tell it to the mountain brother. A guy I know in a popular New Zealand band described the "lack of fun" recording their first album with Jaz... needless to say Jaz is credited as El Presidente in the sleeve notes for his keyboard parts... Still, it was a great record.

Seeing Killing Joke at ATP was hands down one of the most disappointing experiences I have had. They were total shit.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Bill Swansea on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:51 pm

noise&light wrote:Someone reminded that the first album came out 30 years ago, October 26, 1979. Some music ages well.

1979 was such a great year for music. Entertainment!, Fear of Music, Unknown Pleasures. I'm very much looking forward to blasting Metal Box on November 23rd.

Oh and Killing Joke = Not Crap of course, for "Wardance" alone.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby Ace on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:01 pm

i think you guys aren't taking into consideration the fact that Jaz is INSANE.

Seriously. he can't dress himself in the morning.
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace

Postby BadComrade on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:58 pm

I recently said this in the "PiL to reform" thread, but you guys obviously didn't look in there, or else you would have seen it:

In the early `80s, Geordie used two Bel ADT delays (which he still uses), and a Deluxe Memory Man Chorus (which I think he still uses). His guitar was plugged in to the Memory Man (which is stereo), and each one of the outputs from that went into one of the Bell delays, which each went to an amp. Each amp went in to a Burman 8x10 cabinet.

The second time I saw Killing Joke play, I noticed that one of his ADTs had a blue face and the other one had a red face (you can see the units on top of his amps in THIS pic, but they're hard to see since the lighting is red...). I remember hearing somewhere that one of them was made for bass, but he had it modded (maybe to work like the guitar one). They also have a pitch shifting capability, which I think he uses as well.

Also, I've heard that the amps he played "back in the day" were Burman Pro 4000 amps, which are bass amps. Something about the way the preamp reacted with his guitar, blah blah blah. He uses Framus amps now (which you can see in the pic I linked to above).

Plus, he has that sweet-ass 1950s-era Gibson ES 295, which he usually tunes down to D-G-C-F-A-D (the lowest string is a 062).

He has also used up to three sets of stereo mics placed various distances from his amps when recording.

So much goes in to that guy's sound...
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby readandburn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:29 pm

SecondEdition wrote:I also like that this poll is almost unanimously Not Crap.

Two people actually voted crap? Fuckers.
readandburn
future member of the green party
future member of the green party

Postby ubercat on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:44 pm

noise&light wrote:Someone reminded that the first album came out 30 years ago, October 26, 1979.

Oh holy shit. I think I just broke my hip.

Ace wrote:i think you guys aren't taking into consideration the fact that Jaz is INSANE.

Seriously. he can't dress himself in the morning.

That's why he's so fun to watch.

Not crap. Killing Joke is not crap.

2 crap votes? WTF?
ubercat
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Killing Joke Original Lineup:

May 29: Empty Bottle, Chicago, IL, USA
May 30: Empty Bottle, Chicago, IL, USA
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby noise&light on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:38 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Killing Joke Original Lineup:

May 29: Empty Bottle, Chicago, IL, USA
May 30: Empty Bottle, Chicago, IL, USA

Tickets are available NOW on the Bottle website.
There's no reason
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby Marsupialized on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:51 am

I can't find anything about what they'll be playing, if the sets will be different each night.
Man, original line up Killing Joke at a small ass club, wild.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby noise&light on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 am

Marsupialized wrote:I can't find anything about what they'll be playing, if the sets will be different each night.
Man, original line up Killing Joke at a small ass club, wild.

Well, the info on their website lists it as a 30th Anniversary tour with all original members so it would be silly not to play the old stuff. But all original members were in the studio as recently as November recording new material to be released in April. So...new stuff...old stuff...seems like it's impossible to tell what the tour will be like right now. I hedged my bets and bought one ticket for Saturday night. I hope I'm not going to be scrambling for a Friday ticket if they decide to have 1 night of old material and 1 night of new.
There's no reason
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby perdothegit on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:15 pm

New song (from an EP coming out later this month) available as free download:

http://www.golfrecords.co.uk/golfweb/re ... wnload.htm

Not bad on first listen but I would like it to be good so bad that I may be fooling myself.
perdothegit
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit

Postby Bernardo on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm finding it hard to discern what makes this a Killing Joke song, other than Coleman's voice.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap