Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Two Albums Enter

Spiderland
47%
Goat
53%

Total votes : 116

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:28 am

I don't care about Goat at all. I listened to it over and over for a while because it's a classic and I wanted to get into it, and while there are moments I love (I'm thinking of the "NO!" part at the end of Monkey Trick), it's simply not a record I ever feel like putting on.

Spiderland, well, every song on this album has given me chills down my spine at some point, and Good Morning Captain still does it every time I listen to it - even sometimes when I think about it.

I wish I liked the Jesus Lizard more. I really love Scratch Acid, they're one of my favorite bands from that time.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby LBx on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:37 am

Goat makes me feel all tense and tingly.

Spiderland i have not listened to in years...
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby placeholder on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:52 am

Spiderland, easily.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:58 am

As a person who abuses drugs frequently, and as a person who enjoys masterpiece's like "Goat".....

I'm going to have to go with Spiderland.

Seeing it live while high on mushrooms and drunk off of free beer put me in a trance they dished out very well.

I listen to Goat all the time, but ultimately I'm loyal to the dragon.

Spiderland.

Both albums rule. I don't know what "waffle factor" is but if I were to utilize it through my assumptions of what I think it might mean, my post would be an IHOP.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Graham Hick on Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:If your criteria are asskicking and bloodletting, then you are probably not going to appreciate a song like "for dinner..."...

Oh no I appreciate it very much but a song like "Nub" just kicks it's ass.
it's not the length, it's the gersch
Graham Hick
doc severin
doc severin

Postby LaSalle bon Dioxide on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:33 pm

Both of those albums are in my all-time favorites list, but I listen to Goat much, much more often than I listen to Slint. Someone mentioned that Slint is right for all moods. I disagree. I have to be in a special sort of mood to opt for Spiderland, but Goat is something that suits me most of the time, as long as I haven't just finished listening to it. I can't listen to any album (unless I just got it that day) more than once in a day, or I'm on tour and I have no choice (no radio player and only so much music).

I go with GOAT.
LaSalle bon Dioxide
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby a. james on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:42 pm

spiderland is not appropriate for all moods. it's appropriate for apathy all the way up to bemused.

goat is good for being angry, or getting drunk and having fun or you know, being awake.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:51 pm

You have to be kidding, Goat. Goat by 10,000 miles.
Spiderland's not even that good, it's kind of boring. It's ok, some of the tracks are interesting and all but come the fuck on.
Goat is one of the best records ever made period.
Spiderland is just a record.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby muzorewi's daughter on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:59 pm

spiderland: 8.7
goat: 10.0
muzorewi's daughter
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:32 pm

I love Spiderland, but you have to be kidding.

Spiderland winning over Goat?

Retarded.

Goat, no question.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Ernest on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:37 pm

I pulled out Goat today after not playing it for awhile, and damn does it flow well. Every song just fits together. It's a great album, but I still gotta give it Spiderland.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Skronk wrote:I pulled out Goat today after not playing it for awhile, and damn does it flow well. Every song just fits together. It's a great album, but I still gotta give it Spiderland.

You are fucking insane.
Marsupialized

Postby Ernest on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:42 pm

Love you too. But come on man, those six songs are just better. The dynamics, the tension. You couldn't get that with the JL.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:42 pm

Skronk wrote:The dynamics, the tension. You couldn't get that with the JL.

Then Comes Dudley?
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:46 pm

Skronk wrote:Love you too. But come on man, those six songs are just better. The dynamics, the tension. You couldn't get that with the JL.

You are fucking insane.
Marsupialized

Postby Get dog costumes on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
Skronk wrote:Love you too. But come on man, those six songs are just better. The dynamics, the tension. You couldn't get that with the JL.

You are fucking insane.

TJL has plenty of tension, but it doesn't have much to do with dynamics. Their go from maybe mezzoforte to really loud, with some silences thrown in. Slint has the fullest range.

Not that there's any reason for TJL to play softly or have long one-note timbral guitar solos or play an instrumental song with no climax.

McNeilly and Denison are among the best at their instruments, but they're not revolutionary. Walford and Pajo wrote a new book with Spiderland. If you don't enjoy that book, fine, but for me it's such a kick to listen to Slint because the musicians make so many decisions out of left field, and it almost always works.

I should stop here, but I was surprised to see people picking Mogwai in a poll of them vs. Slint. Mogwai is often a caveman version of Slint. Slint gets from quiet to loud with sensitive playing, cymbal washes, groove, slight chord changes, and so on. Mogwai uses the "Sudden And Predictable Violent Distorted Guitar" strategy, and Slint knows better.
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Ernest on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Marsupialized wrote:

You are fucking insane.

Maybe Slint is my Cocorosie, you ever thought of that? No.

Mr. Costumes is right on the money.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby a. james on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:12 am

balls to slint's range. they play no rock songs. none fast enough to rock.

plus, just a buncha punk ass kids.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby sparky on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:20 am

Spiderland. I believe that both records are untouchable at catching what each band excelled at. I love Goat, it is more frenetic, funny, grotesque and personable. I would prefer this album of the two to have a drink with. It takes me to bizarre places.

Spiderland, however, has made its own continent. I reckon that it sounds a lot more like it was made by a group of close friends with their own peculiar language and their own peculiar world. It brings the spook better than any record I've heard. It probably is the record that I've loved the most.

I choose Spiderland over Goat with no second thought.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Get dog costumes on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:25 am

that damned fly wrote:balls to slint's range. they play no rock songs. none fast enough to rock.

plus, just a buncha punk ass kids.

If you can put up with "Then Comes Dudley," you can put up with Slint. And Tweez gets as fast as fast TJL. Have you heard this song "Charlotte?" It is not on Spiderland, nor is it a fast song, but you might like it.

The limitation of The Jesus Lizard was that they played only rock songs. That's not a problem, since they were a rock band. But if you tread the same narrow ground forever, you are certain to write an unremarkable tune like "South Mouth" now and then.

An album of six "for dinner..." type songs would have been revolutionary, as would an album of six "Breadcrumb trails." But every song on Spiderland has a different method. With that much innovation, it's not surprising that Papa M and The For Carnation were so good.

And the album itself is out of left field. Goat is plausible after Head. I was wearing out a Kriss Kross tape when Spiderland came out, so I don't know how fans received it at the time, but what on earth does it have to do with Tweez? It is hard for me to believe that a band got together, put out these two albums, and then broke up.
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap