Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Straight edge?

CRAP?
75%
NOT CRAP?
25%

Total votes : 107

Postby BabbyMama on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:33 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Why wouldn't you want to fuck?

I don't understand it at all, everyone wants to fuck...but not these people for some reason. They have a problem with fucking, they don't fuck.

I can see the drugs and drinking, it's not for everyone but the fucking?

So these straight edge people play a show, some hot indie rock girl says 'hey, you guys were awesome...why don't you come hang out at my place when you guys get done here?'
they say 'uh, no sorry I don't fuck'
'what? why not?'
'I don't know'

i'm gonna go with the AIDS on this one.
bumble wrote:You shall never survive the pending squirrel apocalypse.
BabbyMama
u thant
u thant

Postby BabbyMama on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:34 pm

haha i love that that post started a new page.
bumble wrote:You shall never survive the pending squirrel apocalypse.
BabbyMama
u thant
u thant

Postby Aspartame on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:30 pm

m.koren wrote:
Aspartame wrote:I have never drank/smoked/done drugs or had sex.

Are you putting sex in the same category as drugs and drink ? And if so, why ?

Whoops. Well, it's what they do. It shouldn't be in the same category.
Aspartame
duke
duke

Postby m.koren on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Aspartame wrote:
m.koren wrote:
Aspartame wrote:I have never drank/smoked/done drugs or had sex.

Are you putting sex in the same category as drugs and drink ? And if so, why ?

Whoops. Well, it's what they do. It shouldn't be in the same category.

As far as I know, people are hard-wired for sex. So with that in mind, it would seem that a sex-related trauma/attitude is the real problem rather than sex itself.
m.koren
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Red Square on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:25 pm

crap for all reasons listed...
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Mark Lansing on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:09 am

I have been clean and sober since the early Nineties. I am not now nor have I ever been straight edge. I don't drink or use drugs because they make me act like an asshole and cause all sorts of problems for me. But I'm not going to tell anyone else what they should do, especially since I have plenty of friends who like to drink or get high on occasion and function just fine that way. Straight Edge is fine as an alternative lifestyle, but the minute it turns into a crusade and is used to justify violence against others, then it's bullshit.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby holmes on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:45 am

i dunno. although i find alot of straight edge kids the most annoying little cunts that i have ever met, im coming to a point in my life where im knocking substances on the head - much as i used to enjoy them, i only enjoy amphetemines now. which are great.

smoking - much as i enjoy it, and i surely do, it does kill you and i dont like the fact that it costs so much.

drinking - i fucking love a nice drink, and i dont get voilent on it either. it is however not in the least bit productive.

i like the idea of straight edge, but i dont like straight edge people. they strike me as only children, and i can see them mutating into christians and or alan patridge esque pathetic, picky, bossy, vegan, elitist little shits when the start approaching 30.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes

Postby TRIFECTA on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:23 am

Whatever people wanna do then fucking do it.

Wanna not eat animals products, then don't eat animals products.

Don't wanna wear fur, then don't wear fur.

Don't wanna drink or do meth, then don't.

Wanna suck cock, then suck cock.

But shut the fuck up, before I cut your fucking finger off and shove it up your ass. Just live how you want to live until someone fucks with you about how you live.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME, THEN DON'T READ MY FUCKING POSTS

"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality".
-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
TRIFECTA
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Nina on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:26 am

TRIFECTA wrote:Just live how you want to live until someone fucks with you about how you live.

What do you do when someone fucks with you about how you live?

What constitutes fucking with you ?

Things to ponder, eh?
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Ethos: straight edge

Postby subprime on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Found this thread. So much wrong. Straight edge is:
A: not doing drugs.
B: Not having sex to say "fuck yeah brah I had sex"

that was it really. The issue with fucking or whatever was about not having conquest sex where some asshole guy is just having sex to make himself feel superiorin some way. Most of the people that are annoying and straight edge don't actually understand what straight edge is about. the song was written talking about the way mackaye lives his own life and it was purely a reaction to being surrounded by people that just got fucked up all the time. the people who call themselves straight edge and beat the shit out of people arent straight edge, theyre just assholes with hate in their belly that want to feel part of a group. No different from nazis, skinheads, etc.
subprime
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby numberthirty on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:33 pm

My friend Eric still sings "Out of Step" in my face every time he sees me. Luckily, I didn't have one straight edge friend growing up. My friends were all full on Cheech and Chong and giving me grief about being straight edge.

Still own a straight edge shirt.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby subprime on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Im seriously confused how people got the impression that it was about sexual abstinence. Thats just weird. Was that a thing in some towns? I imagine pre internet before people could just look up what mackaye said about it it got so distorted that what it meant to one "scene" was completely diferent from the one a few county's over.
subprime

Postby Bill Swansea on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:06 pm

I was straight edge for about six months early in my teens, then I discovered Baileys and cigars and started living like a king.

Straight edge is not crap really, it can be quite nice to feel on the ball sometimes, but that can really be done by drinking only a little.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby lemur68 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:22 pm

subprime wrote:Im seriously confused how people got the impression that it was about sexual abstinence. Thats just weird. Was that a thing in some towns? I imagine pre internet before people could just look up what mackaye said about it it got so distorted that what it meant to one "scene" was completely diferent from the one a few county's over.

Well, he straight up says "I don't fuck" in "Out of Step", and since he enunciated roughly half his syllables back then, it sounds like "don't fuck".
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby tallchris on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:35 pm

I think every person I've known who has openly called themselves straight edge and lived the lifestyle--including playing in XhardcoreX bands, getting XedgeX tattoos, being a dick to people who weren't straight edge--all drink, smoke, and eat meat now. (Fucking around didn't really seem to be a concern with the PNW straight edge folks I've known over the years.)

The people I knew who just didn't do drugs but didn't make a big deal out of it? They've still got their "edge".

EDIT: Went back and read the thread, saw this post from Horsewhip/J. Burns:

horsewhip wrote:I have friends who are straight edge. The unspoken rule is that I don't care if they're straight edge as long as they don't care that I'm not. That seems to work out just fine.

Yep, those are the ones who all drink now!
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby Velgauder on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 pm

subprime wrote:Im seriously confused how people got the impression that it was about sexual abstinence.

Yeah, I don't really get that either. I've never gotten the impression that straight edge people were anti-sex. I always thought the idea in the straight edge culture was that it's a bad idea to fuck around indiscriminately with anyone and everyone. On the other hand, there's so much confusion over what is and isn't straight edge. I mean, I've heard SE kids talk about how everyone who considers themselves to be straight edge kind of 'sets their own edge' with regards to what they abstain from doing/consuming etc. I think drinking alcohol/smoking/doing drugs is universally unacceptable to them, but I've heard that some people go so far as to not take medicine when they're sick, silly shit like that.

I myself don't drink/smoke/use drugs but have never referred to myself as 'straight edge'. I don't like the label, and I hate how preachy some people can be about it. Personally, I couldn't care less if people want to drink and use drugs. I've got a real live-and-let-live attitude about most things, and (a few preachy jerks aside) most of the SE folks I know feel the same way. I've actually met many more obnoxious hippies who like to get up on their soap boxes and tell other people how to live than I have straight edge people. For people like that, I don't think it's even about believing in something, it's just about having something to hold over everybody's head and feel superior about. They're just like evangelical Christians and they can go fuck themselves.

Anyway, as an ethos, I'm gonna say NOT CRAP.
Little bit of waffling when you take into account the people who've used the idea to berate others into living a certain way.
Velgauder
scotty nguyen
scotty nguyen

Postby Miel on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:18 pm

I'm actually technically 'straight edge' by accident. Decided at 16 that I wouldn't drink, had delicate health at times and couldn't be around cigarettes (also I cherish my lung function) and drugs just never interested me at all.

When I was in school, these choices weren't conducive to climbing your way up the social ladder. So 'reject bin' for me.

I never actually knew that there was a word for it (besides "dork") until I found Minor Threat and the other Dischord bands. I remember just being blown away at the realisation that that you could play in bands and enjoy music without doing all of that (hey, I was young). I also remember identifying a lot with Ian Mackaye's driven, "type A" personality and found it really inspiring.

Never stuck the label of 'Straightedge' on myself, but I was just glad that it existed and I wasn't alone. And it's kind of cool to have a word to use when people get pushy and rude, even if I only use it in a jokey, lighthearted sort of way.

I became vegetarian recently for health reasons as well, so I guess that just ticks most of the boxes. Unintentionally. Whatever. But that 'sexual' aspect of the label is just really stupid.

As for the social aspect, it's okay to hang out with people who are similarly inclined but I really don't care either way. As long as they are considerate, I will afford them the same courtesy.

I've always found that some people seem to have more of a problem with my lifestyle than the other way around, though! In the last year, I've had people say: "Well, I guess you're just going to be alone all the time. If you don't drink, you can't go anywhere!" or my personal favourite: "What are you, a mormon or something?"
Sole proprietor of Celiac.
Bandcamp | Facebook | @celiacmusic | Weblog
Miel
star
star

Re:

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:18 am

Johnny 13 wrote:I jokingly call myself sXe, but I don't judge or care what anyone else does. The tenets have done alright by me, and I only wish I could be even more sober. The most appealing thing is that there are no excuses.

There are never any excuses.

Straight-edge was never really a thing around here. Sounds like a way for punks to be just as self-righteous and annoying as hippies, as if we needed more of that.

Any lifestyle that has a name is at least a bit irritating.
Anthony Flack

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 am

Miel wrote:But that 'sexual' aspect of the label is just really stupid.

This was the most misunderstood part of straight edge I think, which I say as a person who has never even been close to adopting the lifestyle.

Remember, the song was written by Mackaye reacting to his surroundings when he was a teenager. He was dismissing destructive, by rote "conquestual" sex. Even as somebody who is a massive advocate of sex, I still think it makes sense. He was encouraging people to be mindful and thoughtful about an aspect of society, which in my mind is never a bad thing. If we see straight edge as one young man's attempt to maintain control and resist temptation (which is what it originally was...), the "sex" part of it makes sense. We all have an urge to engage in sex sometimes but it's not always a good idea for various reasons. I think Mackaye was just advocating being thoughtful in the face of our base instincts, which I can't criticise.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:21 am

To recycle an old joke-

"How do you tell if someone is straight edge? Don't worry, they'll tell you soon enough"

That's the part where it becomes a problem.

I always thought 'free drugs' would make a great tattoo.

Straight edge is not crap but xSTRAIGHTxEDGEx!!! is the fucking worst, dig?
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap