CRAP?
75%
NOT CRAP?
25%

Total votes : 107

Re: Ethos: straight edge

Postby circle_ruler on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:24 am

my personal ethic is blurred edge.

NC because the kids should be allowed to find their own boundaries. as for the no sex thing, all the whingers are forgetting the more sex for the rest of us angle, presuming that more males than females were SE. surely women wouldn't be that stupid?
Dudley wrote:Are we "meant" to wear trousers? Are we "meant" to sit in metal tubes that travel 30,000 feet above the earth?
circle_ruler
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 am

It was against sex as conquest, not sex as a whole. If you are having that, you're a shallow cunt anyway.

Additionally: I know quite a few people that would be better off straight edge. too many people I know are made weak by drugs and alchohol. Lot of cokeheads in the local music scene who are in great bands that have become complacent because of the drug use by every member of the band. Even within the section of the scene where that doesn't go on, the amount of drinking has become a real problem where people are totally fucked up for like six hours every other day so they don't get any fucking work done on their music.

also: only realized the x's infront of names was for straight edge a year ago. It was coopted a while ago by retards in online games to look cool (xxSNIPERWOLFxxBIGDICKMOMFUCKERxx)
subprime
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:24 am

I think that pretty much anything that starts out as maybe just some sound advice is going to be perverted as soon as you make it into an ethos, with "adherents".
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby projectMalamute on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 am

I went to enough Boston hardcore shows in the late 80's and early 90's to say with total certainty that 'Straight Edge' as a culture is for assholes.

Choosing not to drink or do drugs or have casual sex or whatever is fine. It is also not particularly noteworthy or exceptional.
bandcamp
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:48 am

projectMalamute wrote:Choosing not to drink or do drugs or have casual sex or whatever is fine. It is also not particularly noteworthy or exceptional.

Depends on your surroundings - in particular how old you are and where you live. There are lots of places whereby it definitely is both noteworthy and exceptional, especially amongst teenagers.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby givemenoughrope on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:05 pm

The song, not crap.
As a culture, silly crap.

I've never been a heavy drinker and have spent most of my years without drinking basically any alcohol. I thought it would give me more energy, keep me sharper mentally, etc. I came to realize that my eating, sleeping and (lack of) exercise habits more than made up for any ground gained not drinking or doing drugs. It's no wonder that post-Minor Threat there seemed to be a straight edge hardcore/wrestling jock crossover. And then the whole Krishna thing. No thanks.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby givemenoughrope on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Also, "True 'til Deaf!" Can't believe I never thought of that with that loud awful music.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Anybody whose ever met me knows I'm straight edge.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm

projectMalamute wrote:I went to enough Boston hardcore shows in the late 80's and early 90's to say with total certainty that 'Straight Edge' as a culture is for assholes.

Choosing not to drink or do drugs or have casual sex or whatever is fine. It is also not particularly noteworthy or exceptional.

completely dependant on environment.
subprime

Postby motorbike guy on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:01 pm

projectMalamute wrote:I went to enough Boston hardcore shows in the late 80's and early 90's to say with total certainty that 'Straight Edge' as a culture is for assholes.

I went to enough SSD, DYS, FUs, Gang green and Jerrys Kids shows in the early to mid-80s to say with total certainty that "straight edge" was a choice that some kids made, but they were easily the minority. Even DYS, fronted by famous straight edge spokesman Dave Smalley, had a drummer who smoked and drank. In SSD, I think only Al was straight edge. Maybe Jamie too, I don't remember. Of course Chris Doherty of Gang Green and Bob Cenci of Jerry's Kids were notorious drunks. Dicky Barrett loved to party. But we were all friends. Nobody cared if you smoked pot or not. Nobody cared if you drank orange juice or beer or vodka.

Yeah, Choke was kind of a dick, but everybody knew that.

my point is, I think the concept was admirable, as a reaction to the heroin, cigarettes and alcohol that the first generation punks over-indulged in. It got twisted and exagerrated by the next wave of HC kids until it turned in to slapping beers out of people's hands at shows.

When Husker Du came through town in 1984, they stopped by Dave Smalley's hardcore show on WZBC (Boston College) before the show. I thnk dave asked them how they felt about the strraight edge movement, and they laughed, pointing to the three X's on the ballantine's cans they were drinking out of. "We're not straight edge, we're weight edge"
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 pm

even if it fosters some level of assholeness, it is still preferable to the alchoholism and drug addiction that is pretty much a constant in music.
subprime

Postby projectMalamute on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:55 pm

subprime wrote:even if it fosters some level of assholeness, it is still preferable to the alchoholism and drug addiction that is pretty much a constant in music.

I guess that depends on what kind of people you prefer being around.

I'll take somebody that wants to have a few beers at the show over somebody that wants to have a brawl at the show.
bandcamp
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Im not talking about a few beers, im talking about alchoholism. did you see me say alchoholism and drug addiction? And I said assholeness, not violence. the people who view straight edge as a gang to beat people up over will be violent whether they're straight edge or not. theyre just assholes who saw it as a way to seperate Us from Them.
subprime

Postby projectMalamute on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 pm

subprime wrote:Im not talking about a few beers, im talking about alchoholism. did you see me say alchoholism and drug addiction? And I said assholeness, not violence. the people who view straight edge as a gang to beat people up over will be violent whether they're straight edge or not. theyre just assholes who saw it as a way to seperate Us from Them.

It's precisely the gang mentallity and the constant desire to seperate 'us from them' that defines Straight Edge. Without that component of it you are just a person that doesn't drink or do drugs. Like my mom, for instance.
bandcamp
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Youre talking about straight edge the mutated/perverted idea. I'm talking about straight edge as in the self descriptor used to say "I dont get fucked up" (the sex aspect really never comes into it in normal conversation). I didn't do drugs or alchohol before I found out about straight edge. Then I saw it and thought "oh cool, thats what I am, how convenient". I know three or four guys with straight edge tattoos. None of them are assholes about it, none of them even talk about it very much. I didn't even know one of them was straight edge until someone mentioned that he had a huge X X X on his arm that I had never seen because he wears long sleeve shirts a lot.

Maybe people are just nicer where I live. We do have a reputation.
subprime

Postby geiginni on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Maybe they wouldn't have been such assholes if they'd been able to take the edge off by gettin' some 'tang, havin' a little nip of bourbon or a few tokes once in a while?

These are often the typical "all in or nothing" personalities. If they weren't straight edge they'd be shooting up and drinking a fifth of gin a day, joining a cult or becoming Seventh-day Adventists, or getting involved in some right-wing paramilitary group.

All these groups make me nervous because they belong to a league of humans with no sense of humor or ability laugh at the absurdity of life. They are the nemesis of the Buddha.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:46 pm

geiginni wrote:

Maybe they wouldn't have been such assholes if they'd been able to take the edge off by gettin' some 'tang, havin' a little nip of bourbon or a few tokes once in a while?

These are often the typical "all in or nothing" personalities. If they weren't straight edge they'd be shooting up and drinking a fifth of gin a day, joining a cult or becoming Seventh-day Adventists, or getting involved in some right-wing paramilitary group.

All these groups make me nervous because they belong to a league of humans with no sense of humor or ability laugh at the absurdity of life. They are the nemesis of the Buddha.

I agree with everything said here.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby elisha wiesner on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:56 pm

subprime wrote:even if it fosters some level of assholeness, it is still preferable to the alchoholism and drug addiction that is pretty much a constant in music.

It is? A constant? I ask this in all seriousness.

One of the bands I play in, myself and the drummer don't drink/do drugs and the bass player might have a fruity drink now and again but has never smoked pot in his life. The other band I guess I'm the only one who doesn't drink but I'd hardly say it's a problem.

I've played over 500 shows and recorded a lot of bands and I can say with certainty that there is as much drug and alcohol use among carpenters as there is among musicians.

As someone who went to a lot of Boston hardcore shows in the late 80's I can say with 100% certainty that straight edge (and 80's Boston hardcore) is crap. When you've got violent idiots like Slapshot championing your cause, it's time to move on.
elisha wiesner

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:
geiginni wrote:

I agree with everything said here.

Ditto. Of all the kids I knew who would define themselves as "straight-edge" (rather than the ones who just didn't care to get wasted) had no sense of humor and took everything Very Seriously. Like an inability to understand snark or sarcasm. Of the ones who have since given up on the straight-edge ethos, they've loosened up a hell of a lot. I've lost touch with some of them, maybe they're baptists now.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:07 pm

What we have here is your classic false dichotomy.

subprime wrote:I didn't do drugs or alchohol before I found out about straight edge. Then I saw it and thought "oh cool, thats what I am, how convenient".

That's not what you are. They're following a prescribed ethos, you just happened to be doing some of the same things, completely independently.
Anthony Flack

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap