Mind Funk

CRAP
100%
NOT CRAP
No votes

Total votes : 13

Re: Band: Mind Funk

Postby numberthirty on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:37 am

M.H wrote:Not sure if I'd group Circus of Power with this crowd (they had more of a 'hardcore kids getting into classic AC/DC' vibe, like The Four Horseman, or a more blue-collar version of what The Black Crowes and Drivin' N' Cryin' were mining), but maybe Collision might be the middle-ground band between these scenes. Their self-titled record from 1992 wasn't great, but it may be worth a punt.

I must confess that I'm woefully uninformed about the music made by Saigon Kick and Sven Gali, but feel free to report back if you find any decent riffs...

Uh, you got math you can show on that one?

Haggis was a member of Zodiac Mindwarp And The Love Reaction and was a touring member The Cult...
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby M.H on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 am

numberthirty wrote:
Uh, you got math you can show on that one?

Haggis was a member of Zodiac Mindwarp And The Love Reaction and was a touring member The Cult...

Well aware of the dodgy early work of the guitarist, but drummer Dimwit served time in D.O.A. and he's the one playing on Nobody Said It Was Easy, a great, great rock album, a legit mix of AC/DC and Skynyrd, swagger and soul. It's the album that Electric wishes it was.

Singer from Circus Of Power did time in the NYHC scene (Crucial Truth), where he got the AF-style body-suit of tattoos.

Four Horsemen and (to a lesser extent) Circus Of Power both did that biker rock style with musical force. They touched on the classic rock template that the aqua-net and U.K scenes were only able to stylistically imitate (their musical abilities being so weak that parody was the only option).

You could argue that Junkyard were part of this scene, but they never quite made the grade IMO (despite having the best pedigree w/ Minor Threat and Big Boys alumni present) and fell in between the biker and sleazy hair bands like L.A Guns.
M.H
hubert humphrey
hubert humphrey

Postby numberthirty on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 am

M.H wrote:Well aware of the dodgy early work of the guitarist, but drummer Dimwit served time in D.O.A. and he's the one playing on Nobody Said It Was Easy, a great, great rock album, a legit mix of AC/DC and Skynyrd, swagger and soul. It's the album that Electric wishes it was.

Lemme see if I'm getting this right. Are you saying Ken played on Nobody Said It Was Easy but Haggis didn't?

It's not exactly clear in that post.

As for Electric, I don't know about all that. I'd imagine they had entirely different designs than competing with Nobody Said It Was Easy. Masters Of Reality might be more in that ballpark, but The Cult have always been on their own little trip.
Last edited by numberthirty on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 am

M.H wrote:You could argue that Junkyard were part of this scene, but they never quite made the grade IMO (despite having the best pedigree w/ Minor Threat and Big Boys alumni present) and fell in between the biker and sleazy hair bands like L.A Guns.

As for that, "Hands Off" is really way more Skynyrd than anything except really late Four Horsemen.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:10 am

And honestly?

Some of Ken's best drumming from that time is on a tune that didn't make the cut.
numberthirty

Postby jakethesnake on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 am

Anyone remember Liquid Jesus? I think they fit the bill as well though I don't think they had much of a hardcore background. Really shitty band, I have no idea how I ended up with two of their records but I guess it must have been some cut-out bin or flea-market finds.

Metal Church's first two albums are great 80's US power-metal which BTW was almost always preferable to the euro-version. The vocals are of their time but whatever, I like them more than dude who sang on their third record "Blessing in disguise" who, if I remember correctly, had some lame Bryan Adams rasp going or something, I lost interest in them there and then.
jakethesnake
president
president

Postby Tommy on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:18 pm

numberthirty wrote:As for Electric, I don't know about all that. I'd imagine they had entirely different designs than competing with Nobody Said It Was Easy. Masters Of Reality might be more in that ballpark, but The Cult have always been on their own little trip.

This is crazy talk. Electric is a straight up AC/DC ripoff. And a good one at that. I hear just about zero Sabbath in this record.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby sulfur)addict on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Tommy wrote:
numberthirty wrote:As for Electric, I don't know about all that. I'd imagine they had entirely different designs than competing with Nobody Said It Was Easy. Masters Of Reality might be more in that ballpark, but The Cult have always been on their own little trip.

This is crazy talk. Electric is a straight up AC/DC ripoff. And a good one at that. I hear just about zero Sabbath in this record.

I think he's talking about the "desert rock" band from southern California in the late-80's. Which is still crazy, because they had very little of the bullshit macho posturing of every other band listed on this page. And they had tunes, not just recycled riffs.

Electric is cute, good background noise, stolen riffs, hijacked SoCal freedom warrior biker persona, but I still think it's a heel turn from The Cult's earlier stuff. Traded in the Gretsch for a Les Paul, the sheer agony of it, jesus.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby M.H on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:01 pm

numberthirty wrote:
M.H wrote:Well aware of the dodgy early work of the guitarist, but drummer Dimwit served time in D.O.A. and he's the one playing on Nobody Said It Was Easy, a great, great rock album, a legit mix of AC/DC and Skynyrd, swagger and soul. It's the album that Electric wishes it was.

Lemme see if I'm getting this right. Are you saying Ken played on Nobody Said It Was Easy but Haggis didn't?

It's not exactly clear in that post.

As for Electric, I don't know about all that. I'd imagine they had entirely different designs than competing with Nobody Said It Was Easy. Masters Of Reality might be more in that ballpark, but The Cult have always been on their own little trip.

Sorry, should have been clearer.

I was responding to your initially incredulous post that there was any hardcore influence in the Four Horsemen. The drummer on Nobody Said... was in D.O.A.

Masters were on a Creamish, bluesy psych trip. V. different vibe.

Electric was a total sop to market forces at the time. Can't think offhand of a more blatant attempt to crack the American market. It's a funny record because they're trying to rock and they can't - they can only strike the pose.
M.H
hubert humphrey
hubert humphrey

Postby morespaceecho on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:36 pm

that mordred vid on the last page was...really something. i'd completely forgotten about those guys. i had a dim memory that their second record was a lot better and well:

phpBB [media]

that guitar tone is unforgivable and the drummer rushes like crazy on the 'funk' parts (like seemingly all metal drummers), but this isn't the worst thing ever, there's some nice catchy riffs. it seemed kinda innovative at the time.

funky drumming and catchy thrash riffing are two of my favorite things. but i dunno that you can really make them work together. good funky drumming is all about subtlety and dynamics, good riffs are about pummeling heaviosity. kinda mutually exclusive.
morespaceecho
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby numberthirty on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:23 pm

M.H wrote:Sorry, should have been clearer.

I was responding to your initially incredulous post that there was any hardcore influence in the Four Horsemen. The drummer on Nobody Said... was in D.O.A.

I had a feeling that was what you were saying. Just wanted to clarify.

As for Ken's playing on Nobody Said It Was Easy, you wouldn't guess he had been in hardcore bands if someone handed you the record.

It's not like we are talking about Quicksand where the band members' background is readily apparent.
Last edited by numberthirty on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:30 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:I think he's talking about the "desert rock" band from southern California in the late-80's. Which is still crazy, because they had very little of the bullshit macho posturing of every other band listed on this page. And they had tunes, not just recycled riffs.

Electric is cute, good background noise, stolen riffs, hijacked SoCal freedom warrior biker persona, but I still think it's a heel turn from The Cult's earlier stuff. Traded in the Gretsch for a Les Paul, the sheer agony of it, jesus.

M.H wrote:Masters were on a Creamish, bluesy psych trip. V. different vibe.

Electric was a total sop to market forces at the time. Can't think offhand of a more blatant attempt to crack the American market. It's a funny record because they're trying to rock and they can't - they can only strike the pose.

I was. Probably should have made that clearer. Though I don't know that I ever thought of them as "Desert Rock". They weren't even from the West coast.

To me, Masters Of Reality and The Cult(starting at Electric) both had a distinct "Band" spin on "ROCK". While I love The Four Horsemen, it is way more of a straight up lift(think Supagroup) from AC/DC than anything The Cult or Masters Of Reality were doing.
numberthirty

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:44 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:I know Cop Shoot Cop are too New York, industrial, and well-known for this "genre" but they have some of the same trappings, no?

Heavens, no!

phpBB [media]
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Bernardo on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:17 pm

jakethesnake wrote:Anyone remember Liquid Jesus? I think they fit the bill as well though I don't think they had much of a hardcore background. Really shitty band, I have no idea how I ended up with two of their records but I guess it must have been some cut-out bin or flea-market finds.

They did cross my mind. BTW:

http://variety.com/1992/music/reviews/l ... 200430113/
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bernardo on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:28 pm

btw, I feel that Stanford Prison Experiment, Alice Donut and Victims Family are borderliners for this genre. Feel that way about the last Cop Shoot Cop record, too.
Bernardo

Postby uglysound on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 pm

Bernardo wrote:btw, I feel that Stanford Prison Experiment, Alice Donut and Victims Family are borderliners for this genre. Feel that way about the last Cop Shoot Cop record, too.

Alice Donut? Nonsense.
uglysound
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby Adam Sr on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:16 pm

This thread reminds me of this thread.
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap