Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Who means more to you?

Nomeansno
28%
Minutemen
72%

Total votes : 69

Postby Nina on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 am

Big loves for the MM, and not just for the music.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Colonel Panic on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:03 am

NoMeansNo put on a great live show, but their stuff gets supremely irritating after a few songs when you just sit and listen to it at home. Way too busy, too white-boy funk and the singer's voice grates on my nerves.

I can easily listen to the Minutemen all day long (and have on several occasions).

Also, the Minutemen wrote songs with a message. NoMeansNo lyrics are mostly just goofy nonsense, in my opinion.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby RBoyer on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:33 am

Colonel Panic wrote:... put on a great live show, but their stuff gets supremely irritating after a few songs when you just sit and listen to it at home. Way too busy, too white-boy funk and the singer's voice grates on my nerves.

Applies to both, to me. I pick the Minutemen, definitely, but each has the sun glinting mightily off their crap.
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:39 am

Colonel Panic wrote:
Also, the Minutemen wrote songs with a message. NoMeansNo lyrics are mostly just goofy nonsense, in my opinion.

I agree, NMN.

Well, actually I don't. NMN, still.
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Sniff Glue on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:06 am

Steve V. wrote:It's distressing this poll is not a complete fucking landslide.

It will be.

The Minutemen.
Sniff Glue
monsignior
monsignior

Postby mr.arrison on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:06 am

Nomeansno are pretty good, but they also have this kind of macho, canadian musical virtuoso going on- Like "yeah we stay inside for 10 months out of the year and practice along with drum machines" . There's a Rush video of Tom Sawyer, and the band is playing in this glass house or studio, and there's snow on the ground outside. Nomeansno could be in that same house, playing their repetitive They Might Be Giants caffeinated math punk. That's how I feel about them- and I almost never want to listen to them. Ok, they are admittedly good, jaw-dropping live, but not great nor exceptionally memorable in their recorded output.

Minutemen on the other hand are one of the greatest rock bands to ever exist on earth, and my initial reason for picking up bass and guitar. So there. Minutemen, handily.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby JMoffitt on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am

It seems to me there are a lot of people of who love the minutemen and don't care much for (or know much about) nomeansno.

I like them both. I've listened to both for at least 20 years now. The poll says choose one or the other and like I said before, it's not even close.

nomeansno have far more variety throughout their records than the minutemen. They're far from a one trick pony... and by no means am I saying the minutemen are.

To discount nomeansno as just a great live band is weak. They have a bunch of good records, but Wrong quite simply cannot be overlooked. It captures all of what makes nomeansno great.

To me, nomeansno brings higher levels of power and precision to the table musically that the minutemen simply can't provide.

They're both weird. They're both unique. They're both legendary. But the fact is that nomeansno out-rock the minutemen.
JMoffitt
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet

Postby m.koren on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:20 am

JMoffitt wrote:It seems to me there are a lot of people of who love the minutemen and don't care much for (or know much about) nomeansno.

I like them both. I've listened to both for at least 20 years now. The poll says choose one or the other and like I said before, it's not even close.

nomeansno have far more variety throughout their records than the minutemen. They're far from a one trick pony... and by no means am I saying the minutemen are.

To discount nomeansno as just a great live band is weak. They have a bunch of good records, but Wrong quite simply cannot be overlooked. It captures all of what makes nomeansno great.

To me, nomeansno brings higher levels of power and precision to the table musically that the minutemen simply can't provide.

They're both weird. They're both unique. They're both legendary. But the fact is that nomeansno out-rock the minutemen.

Superb post.

Any NMN album (Mama+Kerr-era) is damn near perfect for what it is. I wonder if all the Minute-folks here are using more recent NMN for their decision making ? Anyways, both great bands.
amelia wrote: You are not supposed to respond to me
m.koren
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Bernardo on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Yeah, I rate NMN for the Kerr era, post-Kerr is more like firehose than the minutemen, at least for me.
Bernardo

Postby Bro Shark on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:09 pm

MM are more the accepted, legendary, well-known thing. NMN are more out there, way, way less famous and more personal to me. Both are great but I choose NMN. "All Roads Lead to Ausfahrt" is great btw.
Bro Shark
bear
bear

Postby bassness on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:20 pm

JMoffitt wrote:

The Minutemen out groove Nomeansno. They had that naturally funky feel.
bassness
doctor hook
doctor hook

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby m.koren on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:38 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.

Uh, have you been to one of their shows yet ?

big_dave wrote:Voting Nomeansno in this is grounds for sectioning under the mental health act.

Explain.
m.koren

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 pm

m.koren wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.

Nope. It's on a list of "Things To Do Before I Or The Band Dies."

I do think there is the possibility I am selling Nomeansno short...but I highly, highly doubt that there is any way, shape, or form that they could possibly be better than the Minutemen.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby m.koren on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:43 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
m.koren wrote:

Nope. It's on a list of "Things To Do Before I Or The Band Dies."

I do think there is the possibility I am selling Nomeansno short...but I highly, highly doubt that there is any way, shape, or form that they could possibly be better than the Minutemen.

I mentioned it because you will see some batshit-wacko, obsessed fuckers at NMN gigs. I used to be one of them.
m.koren

Postby timpickens on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:50 pm

I'm surprised so many people voted for NMN. I love them as much as the next guy, but the Minutemen. Come on. I'd like to see a thread of people posting ANY band they'd vote for over the Minutemen.
timpickens
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby jpardey on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:00 pm

NoMeansNo didn't inspire Sublime. I don't like that guilty by association argument, but still. Then again, how shitty would Sublime have been WITHOUT the Minutemen?

Also, I hear a lot about how all members of NoMeansNo are totally nice (there was a story on this board about them by someone on this forum who set up a show for them, iirc). Mike Watt standing in for The Doer's bassist on that EP was pretty cool.

Off topic, I always associate Killdozer with NoMeansNo, and NoMeansNo with the Minutemen. Not quite sure why. I'd like to see a Killdozer vs the Minutemen thunderdome.

EDIT: removed some stupid from this post.
Last edited by jpardey on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpardey
president
president

Postby Nina on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:24 pm

jpardey wrote:whereas Mike Watt always sounds a bit... pompous?.

Watt, pompous?

Those two words do not belong in the same sentence. I have no idea what you have read, watched or heard, but you are horribly mistaken if you think he is pompous.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby jcamanei on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:51 pm

refuse to choose!!
jcamanei
ernie
ernie

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Nina wrote:
jpardey wrote:whereas Mike Watt always sounds a bit... pompous?.

Watt, pompous?

Those two words do not belong in the same sentence. I have no idea what you have read, watched or heard, but you are horribly mistaken if you think he is pompous.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap