home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Nomeansno vs. Minutemen

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Who means more to you?

Nomeansno
19
28%
Minutemen
50
72%
 
Total votes : 69

Postby Nina on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 am

Big loves for the MM, and not just for the music.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
User avatar
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6426
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: خانابدوش

Postby Colonel Panic on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:03 am

NoMeansNo put on a great live show, but their stuff gets supremely irritating after a few songs when you just sit and listen to it at home. Way too busy, too white-boy funk and the singer's voice grates on my nerves.

I can easily listen to the Minutemen all day long (and have on several occasions).

Also, the Minutemen wrote songs with a message. NoMeansNo lyrics are mostly just goofy nonsense, in my opinion.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
User avatar
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 17039
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:12 am
Location: The Internet

Postby RBoyer on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:33 am

Colonel Panic wrote:... put on a great live show, but their stuff gets supremely irritating after a few songs when you just sit and listen to it at home. Way too busy, too white-boy funk and the singer's voice grates on my nerves.


Applies to both, to me. I pick the Minutemen, definitely, but each has the sun glinting mightily off their crap.
User avatar
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Bellingham

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:39 am

Colonel Panic wrote:
Also, the Minutemen wrote songs with a message. NoMeansNo lyrics are mostly just goofy nonsense, in my opinion.



I agree, NMN.


Well, actually I don't. NMN, still.
User avatar
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Postby Sniff Glue on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:06 am

Steve V. wrote:It's distressing this poll is not a complete fucking landslide.


It will be.

The Minutemen.
Sniff Glue
monsignior
monsignior
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:51 am
Location: The Universe

Postby mr.arrison on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:06 am

Nomeansno are pretty good, but they also have this kind of macho, canadian musical virtuoso going on- Like "yeah we stay inside for 10 months out of the year and practice along with drum machines" . There's a Rush video of Tom Sawyer, and the band is playing in this glass house or studio, and there's snow on the ground outside. Nomeansno could be in that same house, playing their repetitive They Might Be Giants caffeinated math punk. That's how I feel about them- and I almost never want to listen to them. Ok, they are admittedly good, jaw-dropping live, but not great nor exceptionally memorable in their recorded output.

Minutemen on the other hand are one of the greatest rock bands to ever exist on earth, and my initial reason for picking up bass and guitar. So there. Minutemen, handily.
User avatar
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: richmond, virginia

Postby JMoffitt on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am

It seems to me there are a lot of people of who love the minutemen and don't care much for (or know much about) nomeansno.

I like them both. I've listened to both for at least 20 years now. The poll says choose one or the other and like I said before, it's not even close.

nomeansno have far more variety throughout their records than the minutemen. They're far from a one trick pony... and by no means am I saying the minutemen are.

To discount nomeansno as just a great live band is weak. They have a bunch of good records, but Wrong quite simply cannot be overlooked. It captures all of what makes nomeansno great.

To me, nomeansno brings higher levels of power and precision to the table musically that the minutemen simply can't provide.

They're both weird. They're both unique. They're both legendary. But the fact is that nomeansno out-rock the minutemen.
JMoffitt
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Poplar Bluff, MO

Postby m.koren on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:20 am

JMoffitt wrote:It seems to me there are a lot of people of who love the minutemen and don't care much for (or know much about) nomeansno.

I like them both. I've listened to both for at least 20 years now. The poll says choose one or the other and like I said before, it's not even close.

nomeansno have far more variety throughout their records than the minutemen. They're far from a one trick pony... and by no means am I saying the minutemen are.

To discount nomeansno as just a great live band is weak. They have a bunch of good records, but Wrong quite simply cannot be overlooked. It captures all of what makes nomeansno great.

To me, nomeansno brings higher levels of power and precision to the table musically that the minutemen simply can't provide.

They're both weird. They're both unique. They're both legendary. But the fact is that nomeansno out-rock the minutemen.


Superb post.

Any NMN album (Mama+Kerr-era) is damn near perfect for what it is. I wonder if all the Minute-folks here are using more recent NMN for their decision making ? Anyways, both great bands.
amelia wrote: You are not supposed to respond to me
User avatar
m.koren
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4325
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:48 am
Location: there's lots of women and children down there !!!

Postby Bernardo on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Yeah, I rate NMN for the Kerr era, post-Kerr is more like firehose than the minutemen, at least for me.
User avatar
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7223
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:03 am
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Postby Bro Shark on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:09 pm

MM are more the accepted, legendary, well-known thing. NMN are more out there, way, way less famous and more personal to me. Both are great but I choose NMN. "All Roads Lead to Ausfahrt" is great btw.
User avatar
Bro Shark
bear
bear
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:41 pm
Location: SF

Postby bassness on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:20 pm

JMoffitt wrote:
To me, nomeansno brings higher levels of power and precision to the table musically that the minutemen simply can't provide.

They're both weird. They're both unique. They're both legendary. But the fact is that nomeansno out-rock the minutemen.


The Minutemen out groove Nomeansno. They had that naturally funky feel.
bassness
doctor hook
doctor hook
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:10 pm

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Postby m.koren on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:38 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.


Uh, have you been to one of their shows yet ?

big_dave wrote:Voting Nomeansno in this is grounds for sectioning under the mental health act.


Explain.
amelia wrote: You are not supposed to respond to me
User avatar
m.koren
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4325
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:48 am
Location: there's lots of women and children down there !!!

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 pm

m.koren wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.


Uh, have you been to one of their shows yet ?


Nope. It's on a list of "Things To Do Before I Or The Band Dies."

I do think there is the possibility I am selling Nomeansno short...but I highly, highly doubt that there is any way, shape, or form that they could possibly be better than the Minutemen.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Postby m.koren on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:43 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
m.koren wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.


Uh, have you been to one of their shows yet ?


Nope. It's on a list of "Things To Do Before I Or The Band Dies."

I do think there is the possibility I am selling Nomeansno short...but I highly, highly doubt that there is any way, shape, or form that they could possibly be better than the Minutemen.


I mentioned it because you will see some batshit-wacko, obsessed fuckers at NMN gigs. I used to be one of them.
amelia wrote: You are not supposed to respond to me
User avatar
m.koren
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4325
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:48 am
Location: there's lots of women and children down there !!!

Postby timpickens on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:50 pm

I'm surprised so many people voted for NMN. I love them as much as the next guy, but the Minutemen. Come on. I'd like to see a thread of people posting ANY band they'd vote for over the Minutemen.
User avatar
timpickens
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2734
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:45 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby jpardey on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:00 pm

NoMeansNo didn't inspire Sublime. I don't like that guilty by association argument, but still. Then again, how shitty would Sublime have been WITHOUT the Minutemen?

Also, I hear a lot about how all members of NoMeansNo are totally nice (there was a story on this board about them by someone on this forum who set up a show for them, iirc). Mike Watt standing in for The Doer's bassist on that EP was pretty cool.

Off topic, I always associate Killdozer with NoMeansNo, and NoMeansNo with the Minutemen. Not quite sure why. I'd like to see a Killdozer vs the Minutemen thunderdome.

EDIT: removed some stupid from this post.
Last edited by jpardey on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpardey
president
president
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:30 pm

Postby Nina on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:24 pm

jpardey wrote:whereas Mike Watt always sounds a bit... pompous?.


Watt, pompous?

Those two words do not belong in the same sentence. I have no idea what you have read, watched or heard, but you are horribly mistaken if you think he is pompous.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
User avatar
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6426
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: خانابدوش

Postby jcamanei on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:51 pm

refuse to choose!!
User avatar
jcamanei
ernie
ernie
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:48 pm

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Nina wrote:
jpardey wrote:whereas Mike Watt always sounds a bit... pompous?.


Watt, pompous?

Those two words do not belong in the same sentence. I have no idea what you have read, watched or heard, but you are horribly mistaken if you think he is pompous.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests