Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Who means more to you?

Nomeansno
28%
Minutemen
72%

Total votes : 69

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby m.koren on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:38 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.

Uh, have you been to one of their shows yet ?

big_dave wrote:Voting Nomeansno in this is grounds for sectioning under the mental health act.

Explain.
amelia wrote: You are not supposed to respond to me
m.koren
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 pm

m.koren wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Plus, the Minutemen inspire so much emotion. I have not heard many Nomeansno songs that affect me.

Nope. It's on a list of "Things To Do Before I Or The Band Dies."

I do think there is the possibility I am selling Nomeansno short...but I highly, highly doubt that there is any way, shape, or form that they could possibly be better than the Minutemen.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby m.koren on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:43 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
m.koren wrote:

Nope. It's on a list of "Things To Do Before I Or The Band Dies."

I do think there is the possibility I am selling Nomeansno short...but I highly, highly doubt that there is any way, shape, or form that they could possibly be better than the Minutemen.

I mentioned it because you will see some batshit-wacko, obsessed fuckers at NMN gigs. I used to be one of them.
amelia wrote: You are not supposed to respond to me
m.koren

Postby timpickens on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:50 pm

I'm surprised so many people voted for NMN. I love them as much as the next guy, but the Minutemen. Come on. I'd like to see a thread of people posting ANY band they'd vote for over the Minutemen.
timpickens
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby jpardey on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:00 pm

NoMeansNo didn't inspire Sublime. I don't like that guilty by association argument, but still. Then again, how shitty would Sublime have been WITHOUT the Minutemen?

Also, I hear a lot about how all members of NoMeansNo are totally nice (there was a story on this board about them by someone on this forum who set up a show for them, iirc). Mike Watt standing in for The Doer's bassist on that EP was pretty cool.

Off topic, I always associate Killdozer with NoMeansNo, and NoMeansNo with the Minutemen. Not quite sure why. I'd like to see a Killdozer vs the Minutemen thunderdome.

EDIT: removed some stupid from this post.
Last edited by jpardey on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpardey
president
president

Postby Nina on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:24 pm

jpardey wrote:whereas Mike Watt always sounds a bit... pompous?.

Watt, pompous?

Those two words do not belong in the same sentence. I have no idea what you have read, watched or heard, but you are horribly mistaken if you think he is pompous.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby jcamanei on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:51 pm

refuse to choose!!
jcamanei
ernie
ernie

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Nina wrote:

Watt, pompous?

Those two words do not belong in the same sentence. I have no idea what you have read, watched or heard, but you are horribly mistaken if you think he is pompous.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby jpardey on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:34 pm

Nina wrote:

Watt, pompous?

yeppp... totally wrong word. And totally misinformed. Ignore me if you will for now.
jpardey
president
president

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:02 am

apropos of nothing, is it true that someone in nomeansno is married to Katrin from the Ex?

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:43 pm

Love both, and NoMeansNo still put on an incredible live show, they really do.

Still, while NoMeansNo are/were a little bit of a heavier update on the thing the Minutemen were doing it, the Minutemen were doing it first, with less, and did a bit more in a shorter amount of time.

I'd lost interest, perhaps unfortunately, in NoMeansNos actual records after 0+2=1. And while they weren't a 'pop' band by any means, there songs were a lot more traditionally structured, and not quite as inventive as The Minutemens.

So The Minutemen take this one. Still, I love NoMeansNo, and have the feeling that if they were voting in this poll they'd vote for the Minutemen too. Not just because they're nice guys either.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby raygun on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:07 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Still, while NoMeansNo are/were a little bit of a heavier update on the thing the Minutemen were doing it, the Minutemen were doing it first

Huh? Both bands released their first material in 1980. Nomeansno had been playing since 1979.

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:with less

Nomeansno started out as a two-piece. Never more than three members, except for novelty, two-drummer tours.

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:I'd lost interest, perhaps unfortunately, in NoMeansNos actual records after 0+2=1. And while they weren't a 'pop' band by any means, there songs were a lot more traditionally structured

Looking at the career of NMN, there is absolutely no trend towards "more traditionally structured" songs. Not sure where you're getting this from.
raygun
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Bernardo on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:45 pm

I voted Nomeansno, but their songs are more traditionally structured. Verses, choruses, build-ups. Listen to The Punch Line and tell me the difference isn't huge.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Heliotropic on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:02 pm

The Minutemen are alright.

I know very little about Nomeansno.

I'm really not behooved to vote.
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Lonesome Bulldog on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Don't like the Minutemen vocals. NoMeansNo's are perfect. Minutemen's music is goofy. Must have been cool at the time, but goofy and not pleasurable. NoMeansNo did put out some questionable material later on, in the new wave flav, but they came back harder in 2002 and really, really are so awesome. Plus none of them ever played with Iggy Pop on a horrible poo of a record.

NO
MEANS
NO

For real.

WF 2: 1 for new wave, 1 for some Hansen Bros.
Lonesome Bulldog

Postby mr.arrison on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Lonesome Bulldog wrote:DPlus none of them ever played with Iggy Pop on a horrible poo of a record.

this has absolutely nothing to do with the rock value of the Minutemen. Nothing.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:34 pm

raygun wrote:
The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Still, while NoMeansNo are/were a little bit of a heavier update on the thing the Minutemen were doing it, the Minutemen were doing it first

Huh? Both bands released their first material in 1980. Nomeansno had been playing since 1979.

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:with less

Nomeansno started out as a two-piece. Never more than three members, except for novelty, two-drummer tours.

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:I'd lost interest, perhaps unfortunately, in NoMeansNos actual records after 0+2=1. And while they weren't a 'pop' band by any means, there songs were a lot more traditionally structured

Looking at the career of NMN, there is absolutely no trend towards "more traditionally structured" songs. Not sure where you're getting this from.

A maybe questionable choice of wording all around on my part.

But I still neck out the Minutemen.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Lonesome Bulldog on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Steve V. wrote:
Lonesome Bulldog wrote:Don't like the Minutemen vocals. Minutemen's music is goofy. Must have been cool at the time, but goofy and not pleasurable.

My God...

I don't get bent out of shape about anyone not liking nearly anything...

...but fuck dude this is THE MINUTEMEN we're talking about. The best band of the '80s by far.

MINUTEMEN...NOT EVEN GOD.

Bah.. you were BORN in the eighties. You know naught of what you speak.
Lonesome Bulldog

Postby seth on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:25 am

speaking as a child of the 70s - i discovered the two at around the same time, at a formative age. I actually think I heard NMN before the minutemen. The minutemen are just a different kettle of fish - nomeansno are fantastic, but, as above, the minutemen are just one of the best rock bands there ever was. The life i live today is because of the minutemen, for better or worse (I decided I had to play the bass with my life having heard them), and i can't say that of nomeansno.
seth
mayor daley
mayor daley

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap