No votes
Not Crap?
100%

Total votes : 6

Movie: Threads (1984)

Postby Cranius on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:34 am

Threads (1984):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8427111488

Actually, if you watch really carefully, when the first bomb is dropped, you see E.T. get vapourised.

NOT CRAP...the bomb.

EDIT: Poll added.
Last edited by Cranius on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Re: Movie: Threads (1984)

Postby Adam I on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:40 am

Smoking hot.

Not crap.
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby cjh on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:50 am

It absolutely terrified/obsessed my younger self and schoolyard pals who were raised at the tail end of Cold War sabre-rattling. I've not seen it for a very long time (tho' I can recall certain scenes very clearly – milk bottles melting, burning teddy, someone piddling down their shoe as the bomb was dropped) but I'm sure that now the early 80s dreariness only adds to the post- apocalyptic feel. Although the effects budget was minimal I remember it being very effective and the catalyst in me and my brother drawing up plans for my Dad to drive us straight to RAF Scampton a few miles away to be instantly incinerated should we hear the klaxon.

Protect and Survive
Last edited by cjh on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjh

Postby ianscanlon on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:17 am

Terrifying I'd just spent the previous two years living in a country where they had weekly tv infomercials on what to do when the bombs dropped not IF, but WHEN. In Denmark in the early 80's the consensus seemed to be that it was merely a matter of time 'til it happened. I remember watching bits of this with my brother who was 10 years older than me and shouldn't have let me watch it really as I was always totally scared of even really innocuous shows/ films. The ending is horrifying i think.
ianscanlon
red hodges
red hodges

Postby the letter o on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:29 am

Frightened the piss out of me (figuratively) as a child. Bought it on DVD a few years back and screened it for the wife, who'd never seen it. As the end credits came up, she wiped a tear from her eye, looked at me and said "Fucking hell!"

Very powerful, still.

not crap
Last edited by the letter o on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look at that! A perfectly square bit of black dirt on the window!
the letter o
erik seidel
erik seidel

Postby Cranius on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:42 am

cjh wrote:...milk bottles melting, burning teddy, someone piddling down their shoe as the bomb was dropped.

Yes, the milk bottles burning are very effective; this theme is continued later as a milk float burns. The leg-piddling moment is still shocking for me. Even a kitten is shown boiling in the ruins during the firestorm.

...and of course E.T. gets immolated.

Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby rashiedgarrison on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:10 am

The woman with the dead eyes holding the charred baby...

So, were you watching this as the whole thing and not just the scenes with Woolies and BHS getting destroyed, acts as a neat metaphor for the current economic climate or what?
Cold check it
rashiedgarrison
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Postby Adam I on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:12 am

I used to work with Barry Hines' son - nice chap. I'd forgotten that he wrote 'Threads'.

Kes was NOT CRAP too.
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I

Postby Cranius on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:56 am

If you haven't seen it already and like Threads (can you like a film like Threads?) then you should maybe try and get hold of Peter Watkins' The War Game (1965), which is the predecessor of Threads by about 20 years. The War Game, although commisioned by the BBC as a Wednesday Play, was deemed too horrifying for broadcast despite winning an Academy Award for Best Documentary in 1966. It eventually was shown on television in 1985.

It was the very un-British scenes of policemen shooting civilians that were considered the most disturbing.

Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Mark Lansing on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm

I remember watching Threads on TV with one of my roommates on my birthday. Really fine and powerful stuff, but what a depressing way to mark another year of life. I ought to watch it again one of these days and see how well it holds up.

Oh, and Cranius is dead-on about The War Game. Absolutely brilliant work from one of my favorite filmmakers, Peter Watkins. It's available on DVD in North America on a two-fer disc with another superb piece Watkins did for the BBC, Culloden. Culloden is a vivid and brutal look at Bonnie Prince Charlie's last stand and the genocide of the highland Scots at the hand of the British, and it's one of the most startling and compelling historical films I've ever seen. Seriously, do yourself a favor and rent that DVD.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing

Postby raygun on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:01 pm

Allison, woss an abortion?
I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window Instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton
raygun
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Flaneur on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:02 am

Love this movie, especially the buildup to the blast.
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby busseynova on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:59 am

Holy shit. Watched this the other night. Brutal and bleak, left me with an unsettling feeling of dread that nukes exist at all let alone in such numbers.

(Spoiler Alert)

Couple of tiny gripes. The daughter at the end, when Ruth dies, seems totally unremorseful and unmoved, surely she would have learnt to love her mother even within the hardship of nuclear fallout. On the same note, my lady questioned whether people would really become so distant from each other in the aftermath, surely people would feel compelled to group together somewhat. And that wind sound all through the rural scenes got kinda annoying, but I think it did serve to exaggerate the feeling of bleakness.

But all in all, very NC.
busseynova
vice president
vice president

Postby connor on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 pm

I would like to watch this film, but I'm too scared.

I'm reading the Wikipedia description and am nearly in tears.
deep.BTUz wrote:I'm into girls, physical fitness and real estate.

Ya'know actual accomplishments.
connor
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby JohnnyDoglands on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:59 am

I wasn't allowed to watch this at the time, I was only six, but I saw it a few years ago and, hell yes it is heavy (man). I also found it particulary poignant, taking into consideration that the village I grew up in was home to 3 ICBMs at one point in time.

I've never really thought about it before, but there certainly is enough of these type of films to make up a 'nuke movie' genre. I have collected most of them on my hard drive, (what does that say about me as a person?).

Here's a couple that haven't been mentioned yet.

Trinity and Beyond Discovery documentary. Footage of all the US Atomic bomb tests plus Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The Day After (1983) Like a US version of Threads, with such famous faces as Steve Guttenburg and John Lithgow. Ronald Reagan wrote in his diary that the film "left me greatly depressed," and that it changed his mind on the prevailing policy on a "nuclear war".

cjh wrote:...I remember it being very effective and the catalyst in me and my brother drawing up plans for my Dad to drive us straight to RAF Scampton a few miles away to be instantly incinerated should we hear the klaxon.

There's so many airbases and ex missile sites in Lincolnshire, the entire county would probably have been blown off the map.

You forgot the poll, Cranius.

Not Crap
eliya wrote:Did you guys ever hear of GG Allin? He used to shove a mic up his butt!
JohnnyDoglands
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby fishingrhod on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:32 pm

JohnnyDoglands wrote:
cjh wrote:...I remember it being very effective and the catalyst in me and my brother drawing up plans for my Dad to drive us straight to RAF Scampton a few miles away to be instantly incinerated should we hear the klaxon.

There's so many airbases and ex missile sites in Lincolnshire, the entire county would probably have been blown off the map.

i lived in Cheltenham near to one of the branches of GCHQ during the 80s. yes we were glad we lived so close to a prime target.

now i work at a site which is closely linked to their operations, and near the biggest oil port in the UK. i suspect i'll still be ok should things go all warry. come, come nuclear bomb...
boxer wrote:Once my friend dreamt he was eating an apple and awoke to find my cock in his mouth.
fishingrhod
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Robert G on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:33 pm

JohnnyDoglands wrote:The Day After (1983) Like a US version of Threads, with such famous faces as Steve Guttenburg and John Lithgow. Ronald Reagan wrote in his diary that the film "left me greatly depressed," and that it changed his mind on the prevailing policy on a "nuclear war".

Watched The Day After in one of my history classes in high school. The acting is pretty canned, and the different character developments are also pretty ludicrous. Threads sounds like it can annihilate it just by looking at it.
Robert G
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby iembalm on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:20 pm

I'm watching Threads at work now. Damn, this is a powerful thing. I've had to take a break from it.

I stopped watching after the montage of victims leading up to the woman holding the charred infant, and read the summary on Wikipedia. Harrowing.
Last edited by iembalm on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby 6079smith on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:08 pm

I havn't seen this since 1984, just downloaded it. Not sure how it's going to hold up as a film. However, I really want to show it to my girlfriend, as I've tried many times to explain the prevalent paranoia about 'the bomb' from my childhood (she's a few years younger than me). There were a few years there between the Russians going into Afghanistan and Regan's Star Wars when I was really shitting my pants about the whole thing...
6079smith
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby warmowski on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:13 pm

(SPOILER ALERT)

busseynova wrote:Couple of tiny gripes. The daughter at the end, when Ruth dies, seems totally unremorseful and unmoved, surely she would have learnt to love her mother even within the hardship of nuclear fallout. On the same note, my lady questioned whether people would really become so distant from each other in the aftermath, surely people would feel compelled to group together somewhat.

It's funny, because I saw that exact thing precisely the opposite, as a kind of due diligence on the writers part. It struck me as a very complete portrayal of what the early days of a bombed-back-to-agrarian-subsistence society would feel like. She didn't even use the name Mum. Ruth, work. Ruth. Holy shit.

Seems to me that work-or-starve (or work-and-probably-starve-anyway) scenarios are the very ones where even the mouths of family would be seen mainly as competition.

Much better film than The Day After. Even better than Testament, I thought. Saw it for the first time on the YouTubes last year, was very impressed. No wonder CND kept showing up in numbers.

-r
warmowski
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap