not crap
45%
oooh, the pain...
25%

Total votes : 120

Re: Website: okcupid.com

Postby jimmy spako on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:12 pm

^ Cool.

I am about to have a kid because of this dumb website (and all yous making a big deals here).

Under "most private thing you are willing to reveal about yourself", I had something like "I read your diary when you were twelve. The drawings were pretty good." Creepy? Vaguely preemptive negging? I don't know, probably. Some women wrote and said they chuckled.

Just get a good jab at someone's funnybone, let life take care of the rest.

Have fun, Snitchy.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'

the preterite
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby ::: on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:45 am

jimmy spako wrote:I am about to have a kid because of this dumb website (and all yous making a big deals here).

Again: Congratulations! Welcome, jimmy and partner's kid!

jimmy spako wrote:Have fun, Snitchy.

I will if I can remember not to dis people's perfectly-OK-though-not-quite-my-style taste in live bands on here right after telling them about this fantastic music discussion forum called Electrical Audio. What was I thinking? (Probably still high from that vape hit of wax dude gave me, is what.) Oy.
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Me Again on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:46 am

I don't know about using OKCupid to suss out a person's "one true soulmate" so that he/she can squelch the fear of "dying alone," but... I'm releasing a seven inch this summer with a nice person I met on there toward the end of last year. She's putting up half the money, and if I may be so immodest, the music is pretty dope for what it is (sort of a merging of heavy rock with Middle Eastern sensibilities). Am excited!

So, you know, if an old curmudgeon like me can get something like this going using this tacky website, there's hope for just about everybody. Am not saying you're gonna find your future wife like Jimmy did, but you could, at the very least, find someone worth hanging out with.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
waddy wachtel
waddy wachtel

Postby goatlord on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:10 am

Just deleted my okcupid account, on account I'm with someone right now, and I left a beautiful pulling-heart-strings message to the company.

YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Tommy on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Well, they've finally totally ruined this dating app for me. I guess it was a good ride while it lasted.

Nutshell: they've taken a step closer to Tinder with their functionally. And since Tinder has never worked well for me, OKC no longer does either. Now, women no longer see messages sent to them unless they "like" the sender. This is supposed to keep their inbox from being flooded (which I know was an issue) and result in more "wanted" messages. What it also manages to do is to totally fuck guys that shine by making an impression with their personality instead of their images. In the old method I'd get 1 response for every 7 messages I sent out. This is a rejection rate I can deal with. Actually, this last bout of dating this time around it was getting closer to 1 in 3 for me. Of those conversations I'd say 1 in 3 led to an actual date, and about 50% of those were decent dates that led to a second. Where I was once 1 in 7, I'm now currently 0 for upwards of 25.

Here's some more stats. A couple of years ago I went on 30 first dates in a 365 day range. I used both Tinder and OKC pretty much daily for that entire year. 26 were from OKC, 2 from Tinder, 2 from Happn (which I barely ever used). I ended up meeting someone on OKC that I dated 2.5 years.

What's the takeaway here? The Tinder model where I can't talk to someone before they "like" you doesn't work for me in any sort of meaningful way. It's actually even depressing.

Grrr, so pissed. Dating sucks. I had it hard enough already.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby small talk on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:39 am

Tommy wrote:The Tinder model where I can't talk to someone before they "like" you doesn't work for me in any sort of meaningful way. It's actually even depressing.

Changes seem fine to me, and I'm not sure your description of them is totally accurate.

If a non-match woman messages me, no, it doesn't hit my inbox. But the app/website is pretty proactive about getting my attention. Her profile shows up repeatedly, with a indicator to show she's contacted me, and the message itself at the top of her profile if I click through. Only if I decide I wanna reply must I first "like" her back.

I dunno, seems like you've got at least as much chance of making an impression as you would if you were message 147/300 in some girl's inbox. I still fucking suck at getting dates, but that's whatever.

Related: I tried Bumble for two extremely alienating days. What a weird user-base - like a digital Nuremberg Rally for yuppie women who managed to monetize their Instagram accounts. They didn't seem like fake accounts, but I swiped through maybe a hundred profiles without seeing a regular looking person. Deleted.
small talk
district attourney
district attourney

Postby Madman Munt on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:26 am

Tommy wrote:In the old method I'd get 1 response for every 7 messages I sent out. This is a rejection rate I can deal with. Actually, this last bout of dating this time around it was getting closer to 1 in 3 for me. Of those conversations I'd say 1 in 3 led to an actual date, and about 50% of those were decent dates that led to a second.

That's not a bad sales funnel you had going there!
Madman Munt
moms mabley
moms mabley

Postby Boombats on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:51 am

How about you guys get off the internet, put your smartphones down and go volunteer somewhere. Food pantry, soup kitchen, animal shelter, old folks home, kids' after-school program, adult literacy program, disaster relief, anything. I guarantee you will meet other decent people with good hearts, and even if it doesn't immediately get you laid, you will be making the world a better place. Just being a better person will make you more magnetic. I promise, good things will come from doing good things. Fuck apps and all businesses whose model is based on loneliness and desperation.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby motorbike guy on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am

Boombats wrote:How about you guys get off the internet, put your smartphones down and go volunteer somewhere. Food pantry, soup kitchen, animal shelter, old folks home, kids' after-school program, adult literacy program, disaster relief, anything. I guarantee you will meet other decent people with good hearts, and even if it doesn't immediately get you laid, you will be making the world a better place. Just being a better person will make you more magnetic. I promise, good things will come from doing good things. Fuck apps and all businesses whose model is based on loneliness and desperation.

who are you and what have you done to Boombats?
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby 154 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 am

There is something to be said to great things happening when you aren't specifically seeking them out. It's like the difference between going to shows you'd be interested in anyway, meeting musicians and maybe finding a band opening over time vs. trying to start a band on Craigslist.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Boombats on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:46 am

154 wrote:There is something to be said to great things happening when you aren't specifically seeking them out. It's like the difference between going to shows you'd be interested in anyway, meeting musicians and maybe finding a band opening over time vs. trying to start a band on Craigslist.

Exactly!
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Parbuckle on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:09 am

Boombats wrote:Fuck apps

Wow, is that what they call them? That's kinda blatant.
Janeway wrote:Hello, computers are for nerds.
Parbuckle
hubert humphrey
hubert humphrey

Postby Boombats on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:19 am

Parbuckle wrote:
Boombats wrote:Fuck apps

Wow, is that what they call them? That's kinda blatant.

a.k.a. F'apps
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:23 pm

Just celebrated three years with someone I met off this dumb site. Hey, we even volunteer at animal shelters in our free time too!
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Tommy on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:22 pm

small talk wrote:Changes seem fine to me, and I'm not sure your description of them is totally accurate.

If a non-match woman messages me, no, it doesn't hit my inbox. But the app/website is pretty proactive about getting my attention. Her profile shows up repeatedly, with a indicator to show she's contacted me, and the message itself at the top of her profile if I click through. Only if I decide I wanna reply must I first "like" her back.

I dunno, seems like you've got at least as much chance of making an impression as you would if you were message 147/300 in some girl's inbox. I still fucking suck at getting dates, but that's whatever.

I hear ya. I know where it puts them now. I can only say that I was getting dates right before the change and completely nada right after. Zero responses. My only guess here is that I've had a profile for many years. If they've used the swipe function before and swiped left previously, I must not re-appear in the swipe part when I've sent a message. Essentially no second chances. That's my guess.

Boombats wrote:How about you guys get off the internet, put your smartphones down and go volunteer somewhere. Food pantry, soup kitchen, animal shelter, old folks home, kids' after-school program, adult literacy program, disaster relief, anything. I guarantee you will meet other decent people with good hearts, and even if it doesn't immediately get you laid, you will be making the world a better place. Just being a better person will make you more magnetic. I promise, good things will come from doing good things. Fuck apps and all businesses whose model is based on loneliness and desperation.

You raise a good point. And I should totally be volunteering anyway. BUT, women are volunteering at things to you know, volunteer. Not to be hit on. I'm probably not going to ask out women I'm volunteering with because it seems a little invasive. On an app I at least know they are looking to date and aren't already in a relationship. For the record, I'm not using the app for hookups. Otherwise I'd be on Fetlife or some shit.
Tommy

Postby Boombats on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Tommy wrote:

You raise a good point. And I should totally be volunteering anyway. BUT, women are volunteering at things to you know, volunteer. Not to be hit on. I'm probably not going to ask out women I'm volunteering with because it seems a little invasive. On an app I at least know they are looking to date and aren't already in a relationship. For the record, I'm not using the app for hookups. Otherwise I'd be on Fetlife or some shit.

Who says you have to hit on them? Just be there, being a decent person, and let things take their course. You shouldn't probably ever ask a woman out anyway because you are likely to botch it. Just be decent and let your magnetism accumulate.

Since my post is being misunderstood, let me be clear: if you just go into a volunteer situation expecting instant pussy, you're a self-entitled asshole.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Tommy on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Anyway, my rant yesterday was just mild frustration. It's just a silly app that shouldn't be taken too seriously. Not the end of the world!

Boombats wrote:Since my post is being misunderstood, let me be clear: if you just go into a volunteer situation expecting instant pussy, you're a self-entitled asshole.

Totally agree!
Tommy

Postby Madman Munt on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Tommy wrote:Fetlife

I can't see this with out thinking of a Tubeworks ad for a mosFET rackmount thingy I saw in a magazine in the 90s (MosValve! Yeah). MosFetlife, now there's a site to be on.

Boombats wrote:instant pussy

I like my pussy like I like my coffee: freeze dried and powdered. What?

Instant pussy's gonna get ya...

Oh, hey this is interesting:

Said to have been popularised in the UK by GIs during World War II, instant coffee still accounts for over 75 percent of coffee bought to drink in British homes, as opposed to well under 10 percent in the U.S. and France and one percent in Italy.
Madman Munt
moms mabley
moms mabley

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap