home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Director: Lars Von Trier

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Lars Von Trier

Crap
31
44%
Not Crap
39
56%
 
Total votes : 70

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby Bernardo on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:57 am

Saw Melancholia and, as usual, it was worth watching. I thought all the actors did well, including Sutherland.
User avatar
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7210
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:03 am
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby i am the smud on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:40 am

I've only seen Antichrist, which i felt was one of the worst films i've ever sat through

Von Trier kind of strikes me as an idiot
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
User avatar
i am the smud
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby fedaykin13 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:40 pm

I couldn't find the "Anti-Christ" thread (if there is one)
Watched it for the second time yesterday.
It did not improve.

I made the mistake of putting in the second disk of 'behind the scenes' stuff.
If anything, he should probably never do that again with his film.
It actually made me like it even less (and I don't think I really liked it to begin with)

Charlotte Gainsborg or however you spell it.
I've only seen her in this but for the love of god! She spends the entire 'behind the scenes' episode that is dedicated to her to yak and yak and actually wind up saying..almost nothing
you could say what she wound up saying in about one sentence
and most of it was about her. Not much about the film, behind the scenes or anything

Willem Dafoe's portion wasn't any more revealing

It also makes you feel Lars is a creep who somehow convinced people he is a 'genius'
and they've surrounded him, letting him do whatever the hell he wants.

So based on this one film. I have to give him a hearty CRAP

Just reading the summary of The Idiots made me want to punch something

I could just not be getting it. who knows
Tommy Alpha wrote:fedaykin13 is right

I play bass in the Blood Sucking Fiends
http://www.prfsinglesclub.com/
User avatar
fedaykin13
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:16 pm
Location: Lancaster, PA

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby galanter on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Way back I saw "Europa" because I had heard some good things about it. I thought it was one of the most pretentious films I had ever seen, and I usually have a pretty high tolerance for that sort of thing. The second person voiceover alone was enough to kill it for me. "You are on a Train. You travel through the darkness somewhere in Germany." That kind of conceit is a signed confession to a lack of filmmaking skills.

But then "Dancer in the Dark" came out and I had already heard some of the associated Bjork music, so against my better judgement I sent to see it. As far as I can tell the sole purpose for making that film was to abuse the audience. Any competent filmmaker can do that. It's really not that hard. Most have the good sense to try to do more.

His stupid comments about sympathizing with Hitler are just the crap frosting on the crap cake.
User avatar
galanter
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:51 am
Location: Yes, the avatar really is an actual picture of me.

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby musicgrl on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 am

galanter wrote: ... pretentious films. As far as I can tell the sole purpose for making that film was to abuse the audience... His stupid comments about sympathizing with Hitler are just the crap frosting on the crap cake.


WELL SAID Galanter - Lars Von Trier is CRAP, and oh yeah, a woman-hating Nazi.
His "penchant" for having the women in his films either get repeatedly sexually abused and/or repeatedly sexually abuse themselves is disturbing, disgusting, and, quite frankly, boring.
Last edited by musicgrl on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:29 am

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby punch_the_lion on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:03 am

Overrated hack. Roger Corman had more interesting things to say in his movies.
User avatar
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3488
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:09 pm

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby cak on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 am

It's kinda funny (though not for Von Trier I suppose) that people got all worked up about a little Hitler comment, a good 60 years after WWII. People should learn to put things in perspective and not be so easily provoked by some dude who directs films for a living. Personally I think the most recent work by Quentin Tarantino is much more offensive than a misguided non-sequitur award speech.

As for the stuff about sexual abuse, Ebert felt the same way about Blue Velvet.
User avatar
cak
philip guston
philip guston
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby musicgrl on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:06 am

Hmmm - so I shouldn't get worked up over someone's comments supporting the leader of the genocide of 6 million people because it happened a long time ago - I should give the dude a pass to say sh*t like that because he's only a director who used the press for his films as a platform to spew his anti-Semitic hatred?

And I've seen Blue Velvet (and I think all of Lynch's other films) and to compare Blue Velvet to the sexual abuse of women in almost any Von Trier film based on some alluded to comment by Roger Ebert is ridiculous. And what does Blue Velvet have to do with Von Trier being a misogynist anyway?
User avatar
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:29 am

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:29 am

musicgrl wrote:anti-Semitic hatred


What did he say that would be grounds for calling it "anti-Semitic hatred"? What were his exact words? I've heard it was just an offhanded comment that was blown way out of proportion--probably, if I had to guess, because Von Trier's work is so contentious.
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
User avatar
Dave//Eksvplot
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:30 am

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby galanter on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:59 am

User avatar
galanter
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:51 am
Location: Yes, the avatar really is an actual picture of me.

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby ergo space pig on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:59 am

Dave//Eksvplot wrote:
musicgrl wrote:anti-Semitic hatred


What did he say that would be grounds for calling it "anti-Semitic hatred"? What were his exact words? I've heard it was just an offhanded comment that was blown way out of proportion--probably, if I had to guess, because Von Trier's work is so contentious.


Lars Von Trier wrote:The only thing I can tell you is that I thought I was a Jew for a long time and was very happy being a Jew, then later on came [Danish and Jewish director] Susanne Bier, and suddenly I wasn't so happy about being a Jew. That was a joke. Sorry. But it turned out that I was not a Jew. If I'd been a Jew, then I would be a second-wave Jew, a kind of a new-wave Jew, but anyway, I really wanted to be a Jew and then I found out that I was really a Nazi. Because my family was German... which also gave me some pleasure. So I'm kind of a... What can I say? I understand Hitler. But I think he did some wrong things, yes absolutely, but I can see him sitting in his bunker. But there will come a point, at the end of this... I'm just saying, I think I understand the man. He's not what you would call a good guy, but yeah, I understand much about him and I sympathize with him a little bit. But come on, I'm not for the Second World War, and I'm not against Jews... I am of course, very much for Jews. No, not too much, because Israel is a pain in the ass. But still, how can I get out of this sentence? No, I just want to say about the art, I'm very much for Speer. Albert Speer, I liked. He was also maybe one of God's best children. He had some talent that was kind of possible for him to use... okay, I'm a Nazi.


it sounds basically like he was trying to make some sort of actual point but then heard how it sounded so he turned it into a really weird, rambling, self-defeating joke.

edit: aw, someone beat me to it
User avatar
ergo space pig
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:45 am
Location: pokeland, ca

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby musicgrl on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:03 am

I think the video makes it clear that he's not joking when he says he "understands Hitler" and "understands the man" and more than obviously suggests that he doesn't think Hitler is an all "bad guy" either. He also makes comments that aren't in your quote about a "hierarchy" in the Jewish population. He made several anti-Semitic comments in that video in my opinion, not just some off-hand comment. And he's an ass.
User avatar
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:29 am

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby cak on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:06 am

musicgrl wrote:Hmmm - so I shouldn't get worked up over someone's comments supporting the leader of the genocide of 6 million people because it happened a long time ago - I should give the dude a pass to say sh*t like that because he's only a director who used the press for his films as a platform to spew his anti-Semitic hatred?

Well, I just watched the clip and I didn't get the same thing you or many others got out of it. Von Trier said he sympathized with Hitler (the person) without any real elaboration but also called him "not a good person" and said that he did not support WWII. Again, it is just a Q/A and why are we taking off-hand comments by an artist (not a person with actual political clout to do any real damage in the world as far as I can tell) so seriously?

And yes, WWII happened a long time ago and while people who were directly affected definitely have a right to feel uncomfortable or upset, anyone else's knee-jerk reaction is part of the reason why genocides exist, because people hold these ethnic-related grudges for years and years and years and years after the fact without questioning their motivations.

And I've seen Blue Velvet (and I think all of Lynch's other films) and to compare Blue Velvet to the sexual abuse of women in almost any Von Trier film based on some alluded to comment by Roger Ebert is ridiculous. And what does Blue Velvet have to do with Von Trier being a misogynist anyway?

I don't know anything about Von Trier personally, but actresses do participate in his films, are paid well, and aren't really abused. I can't imagine this qualifies as misogyny in any way. But if you don't like his films that's fine.
User avatar
cak
philip guston
philip guston
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby musicgrl on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:18 am

cak wrote:I don't know anything about Von Trier personally, but actresses do participate in his films, are paid well, and aren't really abused. I can't imagine this qualifies as misogyny in any way. But if you don't like his films that's fine.


I'm not saying the actresses are actually abused (although who knows - I don't know any of them personally either) I'm saying the depiction of women in his films is misogynistic, as in the countless rapes, brutal death by rape and abuse, mutilation of one's own genitals...
And no, I don't like his films.

cak wrote:And yes, WWII happened a long time ago and while people who were directly affected definitely have a right to feel uncomfortable or upset, anyone else's knee-jerk reaction is part of the reason why genocides exist, because people hold these ethnic-related grudges for years and years and years and years after the fact without questioning their motivations.


And I'm not going to even touch that comment...

And I still don't get what Roger Ebert's review of Blue Velvet has to do with any of this?
User avatar
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:29 am

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby syntaxfree07 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:58 am

musicgrl wrote:
cak wrote:I don't know anything about Von Trier personally, but actresses do participate in his films, are paid well, and aren't really abused. I can't imagine this qualifies as misogyny in any way. But if you don't like his films that's fine.


I'm not saying the actresses are actually abused (although who knows - I don't know any of them personally either) I'm saying the depiction of women in his films is misogynistic, as in the countless rapes, brutal death by rape and abuse, mutilation of one's own genitals...
And no, I don't like his films.

cak wrote:And yes, WWII happened a long time ago and while people who were directly affected definitely have a right to feel uncomfortable or upset, anyone else's knee-jerk reaction is part of the reason why genocides exist, because people hold these ethnic-related grudges for years and years and years and years after the fact without questioning their motivations.


And I'm not going to even touch that comment...

And I still don't get what Roger Ebert's review of Blue Velvet has to do with any of this?


Depictions of misogyny don't necessarily champion it. Showing brutality and abuse stirs up emotions in people looking at or listening to the art that contains these images or narratives. I doubt very much that the emotion for anyone when watching Breaking the Waves or Melancholia is one of glee or satisfaction at the woman "getting what is coming to her" or something of the sort. I think the reaction you're having means that his art is working in pretty darn close to the way he intended.

I think the Kirsten Dunst character in Melancholia is one that Von Trier has a lot of sympathy for. Definitely more than Sutherland or Dafoe in Antichrist.

I also understand the "sympathy for Hitler" bit. People that are happy don't do stuff like that. Hitler was a sad little man. For that matter, so was John Wayne Gacy and pretty much any other serial killer you can conjure. That makes them sympathetic, in a way.

It isn't as black and white as you're making it, is what I'm saying.
boombats wrote:Zumba Sally and iPad Phil are crying into their lattes, and I don't give a shit.
User avatar
syntaxfree07
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby galanter on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:13 am

As much as anything it's the way he says what he says. He's obviously tone deaf when it comes to the entire topic of the holocaust and WWII, and that alone is pretty despicable.
User avatar
galanter
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:51 am
Location: Yes, the avatar really is an actual picture of me.

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby syntaxfree07 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:23 am

galanter wrote:As much as anything it's the way he says what he says. He's obviously tone deaf when it comes to the entire topic of the holocaust and WWII, and that alone is pretty despicable.


I just don't think he is very good at expressing himself. English isn't his native language and he is pretty clearly fraught with depression and anxiety.

PS: I don't know whether or not that clip is in English as I haven't watched it but I think the point holds either way. Besides; It's got fuck all to do with his movies and even if that is exactly what he meant to say it isn't very damning.
boombats wrote:Zumba Sally and iPad Phil are crying into their lattes, and I don't give a shit.
User avatar
syntaxfree07
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby Zorg on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 am

syntaxfree07 wrote:
galanter wrote:As much as anything it's the way he says what he says. He's obviously tone deaf when it comes to the entire topic of the holocaust and WWII, and that alone is pretty despicable.


I just don't think he is very good at expressing himself. English isn't his native language and he is pretty clearly fraught with depression and anxiety.

PS: I don't know whether or not that clip is in English as I haven't watched it but I think the point holds either way. Besides; It's got fuck all to do with his movies and even if that is exactly what he meant to say it isn't very damning.


The clip is in English. If you can tell a joke in another language, cast the first stone. The kind of puritanical and silly response this gets is pathetic and hopelessly American. As far as his attitude towards women, you are somehow overlooking that every male character in the films are more flawed than the heroines. There are legitimate reasons to not like LvT, but these are not them.
User avatar
Zorg
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby syntaxfree07 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 am

Zorg wrote:
syntaxfree07 wrote:
galanter wrote:As much as anything it's the way he says what he says. He's obviously tone deaf when it comes to the entire topic of the holocaust and WWII, and that alone is pretty despicable.


I just don't think he is very good at expressing himself. English isn't his native language and he is pretty clearly fraught with depression and anxiety.

PS: I don't know whether or not that clip is in English as I haven't watched it but I think the point holds either way. Besides; It's got fuck all to do with his movies and even if that is exactly what he meant to say it isn't very damning.


The clip is in English. If you can tell a joke in another language, cast the first stone. The kind of puritanical and silly response this gets is pathetic and hopelessly American. As far as his attitude towards women, you are somehow overlooking that every male character in the films are more flawed than the heroines. There are legitimate reasons to not like LvT, but these are not them.


I was defending him, I thought. Sorry I wasn't going far enough for you.

I'm going to take up your challenge anyway because I've got a good one.

"? (Imagine the question mark is upside down) Hay cuantas personas de Polonia tu necesite hacer el amor con la luz?"

Funny, no?
boombats wrote:Zumba Sally and iPad Phil are crying into their lattes, and I don't give a shit.
User avatar
syntaxfree07
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Director: Lars Von Trier

Postby Zorg on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:38 am

I think we just illustrate our point on accident by virtue of this misunderstanding....I was trying to respond more to Galanter and Musicgrl, and piggyback on your argument. So there you go. Your joke is lost on me sadly, but all Polish jokes are hilarious.
User avatar
Zorg
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:11 am

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 9 guests