crap
15%
not crap
85%

Total votes : 130

Re: band: The Misfits

Postby numberthirty on Wed May 18, 2016 4:15 am

Obviously not crap.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Wed May 18, 2016 4:15 am

phpBB [media]
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Wed May 18, 2016 4:21 am

numberthirty

Postby amar on Wed May 18, 2016 7:24 am

Recasting does not always work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gwF6_xTvSNI
amar
les miserables
les miserables

Postby a leg plaster on Thu May 19, 2016 1:29 am

I just ordered an unofficial reissue of the Beware mini-compilation (it was originally a 12", but this version is a 7"), and if you like The Misfits, it's quite the stacked little record. It was probably my first Misfits purchase in nearly ten years, which is spooky in itself.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby agiant on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:36 am

blah
agiant
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby blackmarket on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:45 pm

Last edited by blackmarket on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackmarket
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby monotremata on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:52 pm

GypsumFantastic wrote:It's about time the Samhain stuff got a remaster. That stuff sounds bloody awful.

It did when the box set came out and they re-released all the cds in like 2000. It was a shit brickwall remastering that still didn't help.
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby first2letters on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:01 pm

The 2016 clips that've been popping up on YouTube sound pretty good, even if it's weird to see Dave Lombardo playing so far below his abilities. Bet he's having a blast (riding in his own tour bus).
first2letters
mickey cochrane
mickey cochrane

Postby elmofreech on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:17 pm

What does everyone think about Acey Slade doing guitar and vocals during that RiotFest gig? I guess he'll be doing the next one too.

I keep expecting to see some internet backlash about it, but I haven't come across any yet.

Here's his wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acey_Slade
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby jbar on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Why would there be backlash?
jbar
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby first2letters on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:46 am

Re: the new guitarist, wasn't it apparently to add a "thicker" sound -- or rather, to compensate for Doyle's lack of ability? Seems reasonable enough, or at least no less stupid than any other decision these guys have ever made. (I write that without irony as a lifelong fan, BTW.)
first2letters
mickey cochrane
mickey cochrane

Postby elmofreech on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:24 am

jbar wrote:Why would there be backlash?

The internet hates everything, right? I guess I thought there'd be folks saying it was lame for the "Original Misfits" to have another guy helping out back there.

first2letters wrote:Re: the new guitarist, wasn't it apparently to add a "thicker" sound -- or rather, to compensate for Doyle's lack of ability? Seems reasonable enough, or at least no less stupid than any other decision these guys have ever made. (I write that without irony as a lifelong fan, BTW.)

Yeah, I totally get it. Playing to an open arena like that, they have to push a bunch of sound. Doesn't really bother me or anything, but it seems unnecessary. I wonder how loud he was in the mix.
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby a leg plaster on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:39 pm

They opened with Death Comes Ripping, so they still have some of "it" left, in terms of what is a good decision set-wise. However, you don't follow Death Comes Ripping up with 20 Eyes; it can only be followed by Green Hell, so they do lose some points there. They also didn't play Children In Heat, which is maybe the most overlooked Misfits song ever, even by its own creators apparently.

This is nerdy, but Lombardo deserves a lot of recognition for keeping the songs at their appropriate paces, which Robo never seemed to be able to do when they played earlier songs live in the Earth AD era. It's a small thing, but pretty much any song from Walk Among Us or Static Age really benefits from that treatment. Bobby Steele would have been a cool addition as the other guitarist, but it was a good idea in general to go with two as Doyle seems to kind of be more of a stage presence than a functional guitarist at this point, fun as he is for most fans.

Stage Patter Thunderdome:
You Like Our Fuckin' Pumpkins? (reunion, 2016)
vs.
Do You Think You'll Get Out Of The Hospital In Time? (Evilive, 1982)
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby monotremata on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:50 pm

a leg plaster wrote:This is nerdy, but Lombardo deserves a lot of recognition for keeping the songs at their appropriate paces, which Robo never seemed to be able to do when they played earlier songs live in the Earth AD era. It's a small thing, but pretty much any song from Walk Among Us or Static Age really benefits from that treatment.

I remember reading in an interview, Robo is the reason Earth AD came out at the hardcore/thrash speed it did. It wasn't intended to be that fast it just ended up that way when they started playing it in the studio.
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby Pasta on Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Just one of those bands I never got. Voting crap, because I don't understand the appeal. Don't hate them, just don't get it.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby itchy mcgoo on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:54 pm

a leg plaster wrote:
Stage Patter Thunderdome:
You Like Our Fuckin' Pumpkins? (reunion, 2016)
vs.
Do You Think You'll Get Out Of The Hospital In Time? (Evilive, 1982)

Vs.

“I bet a lot of you have kids you take trick or treating. Scream your ass off if you take your kids trick or treating!” ...Bonfires burning bright! Pumpkin faces in the night!...

I got “Walk Among Us” 27 years ago and I still like it. A lot. I understand people not being in to them. I think that they were an excellent rock ‘n roll band. They legit freaked me out when I was a kid and that was exactly what I wanted. I wasn’t understood; I scared people close to me. When you’re uncomfortable as a kid, and scared, it is nice to make the choice about what is scaring you.

I surprised myself by not having any inclination to jump on the chance to see them at Riotfest. But, Riotfest, you know? A few people offered me tickets on Saturday and I was still dragging my feet about going at 4pm. I’m really happy I did.

So much fun to be shouting along with songs that are as familiar to me as breathing, with tens of thousands of other people, stoked out of their gourds to see our little New Jersey Napoleon bracketed by his giant grampy ghouls. It was a bit surreal to acknowledge that this enormous middle-aged chorus was singing about hacking the heads off little girls with smiles wide enough to shame a Mormon choir.

Danzig was real crabby during the first maybe 15% of the set, sound is terrible, get me a new mic, etc. He definitely needs to work some cardio in to his pumping routine, he was really winded between songs and made goofy banter to buy himself time. A lot of “you’re seeing history tonight”, “who wants to hear another one?” (15 minutes in), but also “I must be having a good time, my zipper keeps coming down.” Given the winded thing, I was surprised more of the songs that make up “Legacy of Brutality” were not picked. It was a pretty even split across the board as far as songs covered though. I just love that record--its all love songs, ffs. Lots of set lists online if you are into that thing.

Last song was Attitude. Jerry Only was totally smiling.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Boombats on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:54 pm

Reunion show in Jersey is like two hundred fucking dollars. That's a lot of fuggin' lawn-mowing. This is bullshit yo
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby motorbike guy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 am

Boombats wrote:Reunion show in Jersey is like two hundred fucking dollars. That's a lot of fuggin' lawn-mowing. This is bullshit yo

I am not sure about going. I don't want to be in a hockey arena with a bunch of suicidal tendencies fans, even if the Misfits are playing last.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Boombats on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 am

motorbike guy wrote:
Boombats wrote:Reunion show in Jersey is like two hundred fucking dollars. That's a lot of fuggin' lawn-mowing. This is bullshit yo

I am not sure about going. I don't want to be in a hockey arena with a bunch of suicidal tendencies fans, even if the Misfits are playing last.

Hahaaaa
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap