The Misfits

crap
15%
not crap
85%

Total votes : 130

Re: band: The Misfits

Postby blackmarket on Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:58 pm

zircona1 wrote:what's up with the production? Why do songs like 'Night of the Living Dead' sound so crummy? Do they sound better on other albums?

DIY, Brah - ever heard of it?!?!
blackmarket
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby 154 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:23 pm

Not a completely unfair question coming from a certain generational standpoint (when basically anyone can make a decent recording on $300 worth of equipment now), and admittedly some of that Misfits stuff sounds even worse than comparable stuff from the era. It's easy to take for granted how much harder it once was to not only afford good studio time, but to find someone who didn't sneer at you the whole time as well.

They're one of my least favorite of the bands that seemingly everyone goes through a phase of, that seemed to appeal more to the comic book collector-types I knew. But they have some undeniable songs and you'd have to be a complete dud to vote crap on the Misfits.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby J_Temperance on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:44 pm

blackmarket wrote:
zircona1 wrote:what's up with the production? Why do songs like 'Night of the Living Dead' sound so crummy? Do they sound better on other albums?

DIY, Brah - ever heard of it?!?!

Seriously, zircona? I actually think the Misfits had better production than many of their contemporaries, they actually had a characteristic (not to mention audible) drum sound. A lot of 80's punk/metal/indie rock has aged pretty badly due to sub-basement DIY production values, which were a necessity at the time, mind. A recent example for me is Teenage Fanclub's A Catholic Education, decent tunes but everything sounds so flimsy, teeny and cardboardy when you kinda get that they were trying to go for this huge, enveloping sound.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby enframed on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:45 am

zircona1 wrote:
enframed wrote:You're asking why punk music from the 80s has some bad production, really?

I mean, maybe I'm not as well-versed in 80's punk as the rest of you. *shrugs*

154 wrote:Not a completely unfair question coming from a certain generational standpoint (when basically anyone can make a decent recording on $300 worth of equipment now),

Nah. Versed is one thing, he mentioned production. You, Zircona, must know that personal computers recording music was not a thing in the 80s, not even really in the mid-90s, you need some serious power to do that even then. Punk wasn't accepted by the mainstream until the mid-90s, there was no money in it until Green Day's Dookie, basically.

Regardless, I love the production on those early Misfits records.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Gas Station Carnivals on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:28 pm

I absolutely love the sound production on Misfits records. I also love the sound work on Dial M For Motherfucker, Raw Power, Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle records, and many other albums where the audio engineering is weird, underproduced or terrible.

Sometimes bad or fucked up sound quality is a good thing. It wouldn't be the same without it.
Gas Station Carnivals
cardinal
cardinal

Postby Parbuckle on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Gas Station Carnivals wrote:I also love the sound work on Dial M For Motherfucker

Needs more cock ring
Janeway wrote:Hello, computers are for nerds.
Parbuckle
hubert humphrey
hubert humphrey

Postby ImDADA on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Static Age sounds excellent to me, out of tune guitars included.
Blue.
ImDADA
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby GypsumFantastic on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:03 pm

It's about time the Samhain stuff got a remaster. That stuff sounds bloody awful.
In girum imus nocte et consumimer igni!
GypsumFantastic
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby atomjackfuser on Thu May 12, 2016 11:00 am

Posted without comment.
atomjackfuser
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby GhostfaceTNT on Thu May 12, 2016 12:55 pm

Poor Doyle just wanting to play music and having lobbied for this for years then having to sit in that meeting hashing it out with lawyers trying to find some sort of middle ground between two balding fatheads, one in love with Satan and Urotsukidoji and the other in love with Jesus and driving around in a Winnebago in sweatpants, and basically winding up on the official poster under the two of them with "yeah, also featuring the other guy"
GhostfaceTNT
novitiate
novitiate

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu May 12, 2016 1:05 pm

They're one of my favorite bands, but I'm not too keen on spending a few hundred dollars to see them at fucking Riotfest. But if Glenn and Jerry get into a fist fight onstage, I'll be really fucking bummed to miss it.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby sulfur)addict on Thu May 12, 2016 2:54 pm

It would be great if they GBV this thing and fuck over Riot Fest.

That's the best case scenario.

Second best is a series of club shows heavy on the Static Age stuff.

Good for Danzig, either way. That guy has been on a downward turn since he canned Chuck Biscuits.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Evin Relocation on Thu May 12, 2016 5:24 pm

GhostfaceTNT wrote:Poor Doyle just wanting to play music and having lobbied for this for years then having to sit in that meeting hashing it out with lawyers trying to find some sort of middle ground between two balding fatheads, one in love with Satan and Go Nagai and the other in love with Jesus and driving around in a Winnebago in sweatpants, and basically winding up on the official poster under the two of them with "yeah, also featuring the other guy"

Otaku'ed your post.
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby don.chaney on Thu May 12, 2016 8:56 pm

https://jgtwo.wordpress.com/tag/the-misfits

And yet, in an incredible shock, this entire affair was nearly settled over the winter holiday of 2014 by having Danzig rejoin the Misfits. That December, Danzig’s attorney suggested his client (who dissolved the group in 1983 after a six year run) and the defendant (who reformed the Misfits without Danzig in 1995) agree to a certain amount of reunion concerts, split the profits, split all future revenue from the disputed trademarks, and consider entering a new licensing agreement together with a major merchandiser. Only was receptive, so negotiations began for the first Misfits shows with Danzig in thirty years.

A proposed 60/40 reunion profit split in Danzig’s favor was leveled to 50/50. A ten date concert tour shrank down to six—but “at least one” reunion album was added. All other participating Misfits, no matter what their stature, were to be treated as “paid employees.” In response to Only’s demand for built-in protections to ensure Danzig would actually follow through with these gigs, Danzig’s attorney wrote, “I really don’t think this will be an issue as Danzig wants to do the reunion shows” (a $250k penalty was put in place should either party fail to complete the reunion obligations).

$$$
Marsupialized wrote:Anger is an anchor, bro. Dragging your bitch ass down.
don.chaney
philip guston
philip guston

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri May 13, 2016 10:03 am

don.chaney wrote:https://jgtwo.wordpress.com/tag/the-misfits

(a $250k penalty was put in place should either party fail to complete the reunion obligations).

Better get a couple thermoses of hot french onion soup on standby.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby milkmeat on Mon May 16, 2016 9:56 pm

We pound these fuckin' guitars like jackhammers on account of we don' wanna pay the exorbitant penalties that would be levied against us should we breach our agreement. This song's called Skulls.
milkmeat
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby tbone on Mon May 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Threw on some Misfits in the car on the way to work today. Still dumb fun. If anyone listens to "Where Eagles Dare" without a smile on their face, I probably do not want to hang out with them.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby doo_ende on Mon May 16, 2016 10:58 pm

Crap; they should have stopped using the name 30 years ago. The early stuff of course is amazing, but they've shit all over that by keeping the name alive with so many crap releases.
doo_ende
jock
jock

Postby numberthirty on Wed May 18, 2016 4:08 am

You can recast a Misfits song, and it will come out even more brilliant -

phpBB [media]
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Wed May 18, 2016 4:10 am

I would also rather see them play with Brody in Glenn's spot. I'd be willing to bet it would be aces.

phpBB [media]
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap