Those boots are

Some seriously dope ass boots right there, Not Crap
14%
Much too cool for me, Crap
86%

Total votes : 87

Re: A mean spirited thread about each other's boots

Postby El Protoolio on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:07 pm

This winter the soles on my ten year old Blundstone boots rotted and disintegrated and left chucks of rubber and black marks all over every floor and surface walked on. I looked into it and this is a newer problem with boots that are no longer manufactured in Australia. I have changed my opinion of them from NOT CRAP to CRAP. My ten to twelve year old Timberlines made in a similar style still provide stellar performance.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Boombats on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:19 pm

zom-zom wrote:Blundstones are those shoes with the elastic sides, created for those that cannot even handle velcro.

A blundstone is an ossification of the sartorial region of the brain. Tragic
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Re: C/NC: My new boots

Postby mrcancelled on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:45 pm

noise&light wrote:
BusBus wrote:
cerebralheadtrip wrote:

I'm going to be trying to locate these boots. My 14 year old Redwings are beyond repair. One of my cats pissed in one of the boots more than once. I have tried everything to get rid of the cat pee smell.

edit: damn, $320?

They are pricey. But everyone I know that has a pair swears by them and they appear to wear well for a good ten years or so.

I bought a pair of these in black cherry a couple months ago and I'm loving them. The break-in period was downright painful, way more so than any other boots I've worn, but totally worth it as now they're the most comfortable boots I've owned. Found them for half price on some Canadian company's website during a clearance sale. (Red Wings sales are posted pretty often at reddit.com/r/frugalmalefashion)

mrcancelled
johnny cash
johnny cash

Postby Andrew. on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:52 am

jimmy two hands wrote:
Andrew. wrote:I wear a practical if not aesthetic equivalent to those hideous bastards about 9 months a year: Blundstones. I polish em regularly if my job requires semi-formal attire but I wear them all the damn time and have for years. They're boring in their ubiquity but they're the best footwear I've found. Super tough, comfy, convenient, and passably stylish (if boring).

I destroy shoes. I can disintegrate a pair of sneakers in a couple months. A pair of standard Blundstones, worn virtually every day, can last me three or four years.

Are they tennis crocs like those abortions, or actual shoes that cover your whole foot?

These are the ones I wear. All black.

I also had a steeltoed pair for construction work. Best work boots ever.

Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Tommy Alpha on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:11 pm

Got a pair of these lads, for walking up hills and that:

Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Andrew. wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:
Andrew. wrote:I wear a practical if not aesthetic equivalent to those hideous bastards about 9 months a year: Blundstones. I polish em regularly if my job requires semi-formal attire but I wear them all the damn time and have for years. They're boring in their ubiquity but they're the best footwear I've found. Super tough, comfy, convenient, and passably stylish (if boring).

I destroy shoes. I can disintegrate a pair of sneakers in a couple months. A pair of standard Blundstones, worn virtually every day, can last me three or four years.

Are they tennis crocs like those abortions, or actual shoes that cover your whole foot?

Rossi make a similar boot, and still manufactured in Australia. Not sure how easy they are to get overseas though.
Verbs & Nouns
francis bacon
francis bacon

Postby Speedie on Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:45 am

[*]I will fight a motherfucker who talks smack about Blundstone boots (Until I found out about the China thing).... I am currently rocking these:

Love 'em.
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://thegreenwhistle.bandcamp.com/releases
Speedie
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby geiginni on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:15 am

Andrew. wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:

I saw a girl hiking in the Tetons with those. I had to ask her what they were. Any Chelsea boots you can hike in the Tetons with are cool by me.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby eliya on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:04 pm

Since this is a thread about shoes now: what are some good shoes for people with wide feet? I've been wearing New Balances for a while because they come in wide sizes, but they're goofy looking and I'm tired of looking like a grandpa. On the other hand, every time I try some other shoes they're way too narrow for my feet.

I don't need something super expensive and orthopedic. Just some sports shoes that I'll wear a lot and won't look goofy. Do these shoes exist?
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby sitwell on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:48 pm

eliya wrote:Since this is a thread about shoes now: what are some good shoes for people with wide feet? I've been wearing New Balances for a while because they come in wide sizes, but they're goofy looking and I'm tired of looking like a grandpa. On the other hand, every time I try some other shoes they're way too narrow for my feet.

I don't need something super expensive and orthopedic. Just some sports shoes that I'll wear a lot and won't look goofy. Do these shoes exist?

I like Saucony Originals Jazz Low Pro. They're not high performance or anything, but they're pretty comfortable, pretty wide, and pretty cheap. They're my "athletic" shoes.
http://www.zappos.com/saucony-originals ... -red-cream
I just get the black ones. Might not work if your feet are really wide.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby Smitty Yeagermanjensen on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:29 am

eliya wrote:I don't need something super expensive and orthopedic. Just some sports shoes that I'll wear a lot and won't look goofy. Do these shoes exist?

I doubt this will help, but pretty much anything made by Keen. Check out their site, they have a few casual/athletic models. Most consider them ugly, some consider them expensive, but they always fit my wide feet, are comfortable, and are durable. Your mileage will vary I'm sure. As far a quality problems, it seems many companies who have gotten big enough to move production to China are hit-and-miss at best these days. I just sent a pair of Merrells (they make wide sizes, too!) back under warranty. One of the lugs on the sole got ripped off, exposing the insole. The boots barely had 50 miles on them.

I hear you about the New Balance. I have a pair. Just looking at them makes me feel old. I call them "New Ballast."
Smitty Yeagermanjensen
assistant intern
assistant intern

Postby Zorg on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:50 pm

I thought the New Balance 574 is the shoe that hipsters and fashion plates agree on.
Zorg
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby enframed on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Smitty Yeagermanjensen wrote:
eliya wrote:I don't need something super expensive and orthopedic. Just some sports shoes that I'll wear a lot and won't look goofy.

Keen.

No.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Re: A nice spirited thread about each other's boots

Postby Janeway on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:40 am

phpBB [media]

this can be stuck in your guys's heads too whenever you see this thread, okay? okay cool.. :smt005
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Antero on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:10 am

Zorg wrote:I thought the New Balance 574 is the shoe that hipsters and fashion plates agree on.

People who are "into" "fashion" have inexplicably come to the conclusion that New Balance shoes aren't ugly trash for jogging dads. I think it's a prank.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Neuloveyou on Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:57 pm

I have been wearing these for ages, almost two years now and the soles are still basically viable. Very comfortable, very lightweight, not terribly waterproof but super simple. I do also wear New Balance and enjoy them, so my judgement may be suspect.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby enframed on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Neuloveyou wrote:I have been wearing these for ages, almost two years now and the soles are still basically viable. Very comfortable, very lightweight, not terribly waterproof but super simple. I do also wear New Balance and enjoy them, so my judgement may be suspect.

Indeed.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Christopher on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:43 pm

Introducing the UGG® X Teva® hybrid.

Part boot, part sandal, all freakishly stupid.

/thread
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Re: C/NC: My new boots

Postby Exclout on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:55 am

Boombats wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Image

Now if those were 9/11 boots, with each one visually representing a Twin Tower...

Nice Boots!
Exclout

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:14 pm

I don't remember when I found on that they were still making shoes at the old Doc Martens factory in Northamptonshire, but I can tell you this: In 1992 I bought a pair of Dr. Martens oxfords, not realizing that I would own them for almost 25 years. I got married in them twice, divorced in them once. Waited about 10,000 tables, went to 30 or so job interviews. They're still in the closet. They could use a good polishing, but they're still shoes and they're still solid.

I decided I wanted some Chelsea boots and discovered that Solovair (the company that makes shoes in the old factory) makes a nice pair. I bought them at the Brexit Discount, when the pound was sucking wind, so they were delivered to my door for $124.

Like every pair of Doc Martens, they were excruciating for a week, then they broke in and I think they'll be great for another 20 years.

tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap