Those boots are

Some seriously dope ass boots right there, Not Crap
14%
Much too cool for me, Crap
86%

Total votes : 87

Re: A mean spirited thread about each other's boots

Postby monotremata on Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:09 pm

I almost got a pair of Solovairs last month, but went with the Grafters Monkey Boots instead.
Attachments
67311344_o2.jpg
67311344_o2.jpg (50.81 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby enframed on Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:59 pm

monotremata wrote:I almost got a pair of Solovairs last month, but went with the Grafters Monkey Boots instead.

Dope.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby etch on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:17 pm

I don't own a pair of these boots, but they look nice. I like the idea of a lightweight boot that is still durable and actually looks half-decent. The Travel Boot is interesting.

https://huckberry.com/store/lems-shoes? ... =lemsshoes
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Boombats on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:52 pm

monotremata wrote:I almost got a pair of Solovairs last month, but went with the Grafters Monkey Boots instead.

Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby seaux on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:38 am

etch wrote:I don't own a pair of these boots, but they look nice. I like the idea of a lightweight boot that is still durable and actually looks half-decent. The Travel Boot is interesting.

https://huckberry.com/store/lems-shoes? ... =lemsshoes

hey these are interesting and look nice, but i wonder if they'd soften to the point where they'd sag and lose shape fairly quickly. such a cool concept tho.

my first pair of p fancy shoes. the manufacturer described them as "Urban casual"
didn't even need breaking in and i think these boots are p sweet everybody

Last edited by seaux on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seaux
padre
padre

Postby Boombats on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:31 am

For once I have nothing mean to say about someone's boots, can't figure out why...
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Tommy Alpha on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:08 am

dontfeartheringo wrote:I don't remember when I found on that they were still making shoes at the old Doc Martens factory in Northamptonshire, but I can tell you this: In 1992 I bought a pair of Dr. Martens oxfords, not realizing that I would own them for almost 25 years. I got married in them twice, divorced in them once. Waited about 10,000 tables, went to 30 or so job interviews. They're still in the closet. They could use a good polishing, but they're still shoes and they're still solid.

I decided I wanted some Chelsea boots and discovered that Solovair (the company that makes shoes in the old factory) makes a nice pair. I bought them at the Brexit Discount, when the pound was sucking wind, so they were delivered to my door for $124.

Like every pair of Doc Martens, they were excruciating for a week, then they broke in and I think they'll be great for another 20 years.

Are the soles like Docs? My dad comes from Northampton and I'd go to the factory seconds shop when visiting family, back when I was a kid and Northampton still made boots (pre-Solovair). I used to get Hawkins, who used to make the uppers and did their own knock-off DM sole. It was my understanding that relationships turned sour and DMs took legal action against Hawkins, which eventually did them in. I could be wrong though, but I haven't seen any DM knock off soles in a long time.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby dontfeartheringo on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Tommy Alpha wrote:
dontfeartheringo wrote:I don't remember when I found on that they were still making shoes at the old Doc Martens factory in Northamptonshire, but I can tell you this: In 1992 I bought a pair of Dr. Martens oxfords, not realizing that I would own them for almost 25 years. I got married in them twice, divorced in them once. Waited about 10,000 tables, went to 30 or so job interviews. They're still in the closet. They could use a good polishing, but they're still shoes and they're still solid.

I decided I wanted some Chelsea boots and discovered that Solovair (the company that makes shoes in the old factory) makes a nice pair. I bought them at the Brexit Discount, when the pound was sucking wind, so they were delivered to my door for $124.

Like every pair of Doc Martens, they were excruciating for a week, then they broke in and I think they'll be great for another 20 years.

Are the soles like Docs? My dad comes from Northampton and I'd go to the factory seconds shop when visiting family, back when I was a kid and Northampton still made boots (pre-Solovair). I used to get Hawkins, who used to make the uppers and did their own knock-off DM sole. It was my understanding that relationships turned sour and DMs took legal action against Hawkins, which eventually did them in. I could be wrong though, but I haven't seen any DM knock off soles in a long time.

They are exactly like DMs, weirdly.

tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby elisha wiesner on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:10 pm

After buying a new pair of cheap/mid priced work boots every year for forever I finally decided to buy some good ones about a year and a half ago. Nicks Boots from Spokane. Custom made to my feet. Turns out I have much wider feet than I always thought. They took a long time to break in but they are amazingly comfortable and despite their weight, my bad knee always feels better when I wear them. If they weren't so expensive, I'd buy a pair of their casual boots to wear when I'm not working.

elisha wiesner

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:35 am

Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:57 am

phpBB [media]

Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby blackmarket on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Madman Munt wrote:
phpBB [media]

A mouthful of whiskey?
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby ImDADA on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:15 pm

That would be a shit place for me to keep anything I'd want to drink.*
Blue.
ImDADA
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Boombats on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Anyone who wears those boots gets faceplant drunk off one appletini so it's appropriate.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby hayate on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Worn these day in day out for almost three years

theyre expensive af.. and im currently on my fourth pair (yes, ive bought these same boots four times in three years). overall oppinion: crap. because they dont Fing last. Waterproof, in blue collar language basically means light duty baby the shit out of those slippers cause they gonna get ripped to shreds seuvenir boots... Ill probably be looking into a pair like elishas lovely lookin custom loggers posted above, pretty soon.

Neofascism will be the ultimate expression of libertarian social liberalism, of the unit which starts in May 68. Its specificity holds in this formula: All is allowed, but nothing is possible. -M.C.
hayate
dr. j
dr. j

Postby El Protoolio on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:34 pm

I had a few different pairs of CAT boots in college and I loved them.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby geiginni on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:41 am

blackmarket wrote:
Madman Munt wrote:
phpBB [media]

A mouthful of whiskey?

For 600 quid you should get a lot more mouthfuls of Talisker than that!
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Boombats on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:47 am

I mean the boots considered separately from the label and fashion and all seems == decent enough. I guess I would just keep a 3-pack of Trojan golds in there.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby hayate on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:18 pm

yeah, or your diaphragm

wait, back up a minute.. when did we decide that those boots aren't made specifically for women? look at that hand... hmmm. :?

El Protoolio wrote:I had a few different pairs of CAT boots in college and I loved them.

yeah, they're definitely the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. That is, until they start falling apart.
Neofascism will be the ultimate expression of libertarian social liberalism, of the unit which starts in May 68. Its specificity holds in this formula: All is allowed, but nothing is possible. -M.C.
hayate
dr. j
dr. j

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 am

Picked up a "used" pair of Red Wing Engineer boots on eBay for less than $100. Looking at the photos, it didn't look like they'd even been worn long enough to crease the instep.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Wing-Shoes ... 3300891078

Free shipping, why not?

I got them three days later, and when I first put them on, I realized that they were in NO WAY broken in. Still trying to walk them in, but they're gradually becoming more comfortable. I guess a pair of "forever" boots is going to need some break-in time.

I think they have a good, classic look.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap