Red Riding Trilogy

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 7

Trilogy: Red Riding

Postby daniel robert chapman on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:35 am

This starts tonight on Channel 4 at 9pm; I haven't read the books, but I'm looking forward to the films. Local interest is high, here: my dad was one of many people in Yorkshire who were 'eliminated from the inquiry' as West Yorkshire Police sought the Ripper; he was experimenting with a beard and working late, and the neighbours called the police on him. I live five minutes walk in one direction from where one body was found, ten minutes walk the other way from another.

Based on the acclaimed quartet of "Yorkshire noir" novels by David Peace, Red Riding is a febrile, almost hallucinatory account of police corruption and brutality set against a backdrop of the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper. Peace, whose The Damned United, a fictionalised account of the football manager Brian Clough's 44-day reign at Leeds United, has also been turned into a forthcoming film, suggests further reading to those who feel he has been exaggerating. "I recommend The History and Practice of the Political Police in Britain by Tony Bunyan, Error of Judgement: the Truth about the Birmingham Bombings by Chris Mullin or Bloody Valentine: a Killing in Cardiff by John Williams. Or anything by the late Paul Foot."

The three films that emerged out of Peace's four novels, have been adapted by Tony Grisoni, who has the screenplay of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas among his credits. Each film is named after a different year, starting with 1974 and continuing in successive weeks with 1980 and 1983. Some of the characters (played by a lip-smacking cast that includes Sean Bean, Andrew Garfield, Maxine Peake, David Morrissey, Paddy Considine and Rebecca Hall) turn up in more than one of the films.

"I started reading 1974, and from the first unsettling parody of a fallen angel to the final Jacobean shoot-out, I did not stop to take breath,"says Grisoni. "I plunged into the other three novels... They read like an English James Ellroy cut with Stan Barstow and drenched in the occult sensibilities of an Iain Sinclair. We're talking eternal perdition and the possibility of redemption. Dickens on bad acid."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 36631.html
Twenty-four hours a week, seven days a month
daniel robert chapman
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Re: Trilogy: Red Riding

Postby cjh on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:37 am

I was looking forward to this (combined factors of growing up during the Ripper enquiry in the Look North/YTV region, although the events weren't local they felt close enough. Also, generally a fan of Paddy Considine) but after reading the linked feature at the Independent I'm really looking forward to it, the care taken with the dreary aesthetics should be a treat. Will watch and report back.
cjh
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby pldms on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:53 am

daniel robert chapman wrote:he was experimenting with a beard ... and the neighbours called the police on him.
Oh, to live in more enlightened times. I'm surrounded by experimental facial hair, but the police do nothing.

Certainly looking forward to Red Riding. Fictionalising (is that a word?) real events and people must have caused the lawyers a few sleepless nights. Shame.
pldms
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby Isabelle Gall on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:05 am

It clashes with Skins though!

Actually, many thanks for the posts drccjh as I was completely unaware of it.

I too grew up in Yorkshire struggling to comprehend the abject, extremely tangible fear caused by a Calendar newsflash and as a result still consider 'Ripper Territory' on seeing so much as a passing Austin Allegro or any brutalist slab.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby chairman_hall on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:08 am

I too have not read the books, but will be tuning into this.
jimmy spako wrote:i have ranted, and you have scrolled.
chairman_hall
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby sparky on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:48 am

cjh wrote:Also, generally a fan of Paddy Considine

I've developed a bit of a man-love for the guy, starting from his performance in "24 Hour Party People". He nailed down a particular Mancunian type perfectly. When I mentioned the film to a Manc friend, she brought this up without my prompting. There's a seething, scathing edge to his character that's just awesome.

I've asked my good host to do the digital record thang on this programme tonight. The stills alone of the show hooked my eye.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby daniel robert chapman on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:14 am

First episode: pretty damn grim. My colleague at work says it reminded her just how brown the seventies were. Sean Bean playing the bad guy as Jimmy Saville was a nice touch. It was good.
daniel robert chapman

Postby johnnyshape on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:23 am

That were reet good last night.
rchapman75 wrote: If the PRF ran NASA, we'd have colonies on the moons of Jupiter and be mining asteroids for aluminum.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Dudley on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:29 am

Missed it last night. Will definitely watch the whole thing, though

Loves the books. Actually "love" is not the right term, really - I thought they were brilliant, but they were so relentlessly grim that they made feel quite depressed for a couple of days after finishing them - a bit like some of Ellroy's more tormented novels. It makes total sense to me that they were written in Japan by someone who grew up in Yorkshire - the almost smothering atmostphere of the seventies and the places and the characters are created with so much attention to detail, which perversely would seem to be easier to recreate far away, free of the present day version.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby B_M_L on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:35 am

My only grumble was that the sound quality was shite. Their voices seemed to disappear into mumbling noise, especially in the first quarter. Even my lady who is from Yorkshire couldn’t understand what they were saying at some points.

Otherwise very good. Very Grim. Very Brown.

Bonus points for the use of a Jensen Interceptor… too cool.

B_M_L
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby johnnyshape on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:56 am

B_M_L wrote:Bonus points for the use of a Jensen Interceptor… too cool.

Who had that? I thought the lead was driving a Vauxhall Viva...

EDIT: That was the villainmobile, wasn't it?

Dialogue was a bit mumbly in places, it's true. I wondered if that was due to Wire-ish hyperrealism or sloppy sound editing.
rchapman75 wrote: If the PRF ran NASA, we'd have colonies on the moons of Jupiter and be mining asteroids for aluminum.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby B_M_L on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:21 am

johnnyshape wrote:EDIT: That was the villainmobile, wasn't it?

Yeah - I'm pretty sure it was the Beanmobile. It was only in a couple of scenes. Still great though.
B_M_L

Postby Jodi S. on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:19 am

David Morrissey! Love that guy.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Isabelle Gall on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:27 pm

johnnyshape wrote:That were reet good last night.

Ai it were alreet.

Anyone else remember when somebody almost killed themselves whilst failing spectacularly to jump 230 ft's worth of buses in one of these just for a bit of fun on 'The Late, Late Breakfast Show'? Cue rather strained link from Mike Smith back to a shitting Edmonds in the studio.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby chairman_hall on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:33 pm

B_M_L wrote:My only grumble was that the sound quality was shite. Their voices seemed to disappear into mumbling noise, especially in the first quarter. Even my lady who is from Yorkshire couldn’t understand what they were saying at some points.

Yes, the fucking sound were reet bad. I had to have my telly turned up to stupid volumes to be able to hear what anyone was saying and even then it was pretty incomprehensible.

Other than that, it was pretty excellent.
jimmy spako wrote:i have ranted, and you have scrolled.
chairman_hall

Postby sparky on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:43 pm

I just saw this - magnificently done. It was a lot stranger than I thought it would be, and it looked fantastic, in the full sense of the word - great composition, vivid blurs of red, patterned wallpaper and curtains taking on menace. The plot itself was straightforward, I thought, and served well just to take us into this universe.

I didn't have a problem with the sound once my friend used the fancy TV wand to put on subtitles. We both thought the comparison to James Ellroy's novels accurate. However, this takes on the sensation of a hallucination. The acting was great, and the Jimmy Saville-Sean Bean symbosis noted above is brilliant as well as spot on.

Well looking forward to next week. Not sure whether I'm looking forward to the weird dreams tonight! A little intense for a Sunday nightcap.
sparky

Postby daniel robert chapman on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:11 pm

Reminder - part two at 9pm tonight.
daniel robert chapman

Postby Earwicker on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:36 pm

i watched it. I 'enjoyed' it. It was smokey. i didn't realise it was meant to be based on real events. Is that true? The Yorkshire ripper didn't do kids.

Anyways Considine is always worth a watch so I will definitely be watching this and, no doubt, the other.
krakabash wrote: we really should look at all the sides of the issue because the Zionist evil is a menace to mankind and peace on earth.
Earwicker

Postby cjh on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Earwicker wrote:Is that true?

The hazy, mustard hues and grand guignol of last week provide an entirely fictitious backdrop of events (the perpetrator was Sean Bean's character), a trope of police corruption that is carried across and investigated in tonight's episode (Paddy Considine's Peter Hunter is based on John Stalker). Thus far, and again, very good.
cjh

Postby sparky on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Well, I must admit that ending took me by surprise. Different, but good. It didn't intoxicate me like the first one did, but the change to a slightly more concrete atmosphere worked well. No idea how the last one is handled, sure it will be a treat.
sparky

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap