Either/Or: Cats vs Dogs

Postby run joe, run on Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:16 pm

Cats or Dogs.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby placeholder on Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:36 pm

Cats, for sure. I have two persian cats, and they are the coolest. High waffle factor, because I am also a fan of dogs. However, I had this dream last night where this big red-eyed dog was in my house trying to bite me. I was not a fan of that.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby run joe, run on Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:23 pm

I would have said dogs about a year ago but now I say cats, but it's very close.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:43 pm

William Burroughs postulated that cats were vastly superior to dogs, because cats are independent and autonomous by nature while dogs are the ultimate slaves, doing anything and everything they can to suck up to authority. They enjoy being told what to do! They actually like it!

It's hard to argue with this logic, despite the fact that it reflects more of a stereotype than reality (I have raised cats to come when I call them, for instance). However, my heart lies with the canine. A cat will kill a mouse for you (really, for itself), but a dog will selflessly and honorably help a blind person with their day-to-day activities.

Salut, Fido!
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Chapter Two on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Bump.

The fact that a dog is a pack animal and will submit in most cases to the chief of their pack, i.e., you, is not a reason to regard them as either inferior to yourself or to other species that have evolved with this perspective.

On mushrooms once, an old girlfriend found a clay pot and had a desire to bang it against a human head. She chose my friend James's head, because he would have let her. I talked her out of this for the reason that it was precisely because he would have let her hit him on the head with a ceramic pot that she shouldn't do it.

We can't help where we have come from.

Dogs are fucking brilliant in all ways. I like cats a lot, but dogs rule.
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby rocker654 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:33 pm

I like them both, but chose cats because they come toilet trained out of the gate.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby johnnyshape on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:33 pm

Dogs: Loyal. Fun. Will give and receive boundless love. Give human owners daily fresh air exercise. Can be trained to do all sorts of clever stuff.

Cats: Couldn't ultimately give a fuck about anything other than themselves, but cuter.

I like some cats, and I know why people have and like cats, but in a comparative test - dogs.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby cwiko on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:41 pm

I like a creature that can take care of itself. I work a lot & keep some strange hours. A dog would tear my apartment to hell & shit all over the place. A cat would, in all likelihood, sleep all over my apartment & shit in the litter box.

That said, a dog's affection & companionship are pretty awesome. Though I've known some cats that are just as affectionate; plus when they climb on you, they're not as cumbersome as dogs.

I've met some freaky dogs who'll bark & growl at you for no real reason. I've met a couple of cats that will hiss & attack your ankles for no real reason. Dogs are bigger and therefore more frightening to me.

I dunno....this is far & away the most I've ever really analyzed cats & dogs. I'm gonna go cats, WF 7.

Thank you for your time.
cwiko
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby yut on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:28 pm

Both... But if I must pick one, dogs... They can use litter boxes, find people burried in rubble, help the disabled... But more importantly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQsOyeIoCig

Make sure to turn up the sound... The sounds it is making are so cute, I want to bite its butt!

Also, notice how it is half the size of the cat (but the cat wisely keeps its distance). Typical weight is 3-6 lbs. They can't be shown if they are over 6lbs, but people often own 12 pounders...
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby cwiko on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:46 pm

yut wrote:The sounds it is making are so cute, I want to bite its butt!

mmmkaaay.....

Cute pup, though a touch frantic for my tastes, as most small dogs are.
cwiko
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby rocker654 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:50 pm

yut wrote:Make sure to turn up the sound... The sounds it is making are so cute, I want to bite its butt!

Seems like this is another reference to biting dog's butts that I've read on these boards as of late. A strange, but possibly canine form of affection.

That poor dog is obviously beset by invisible enemies, possibly fleas. How can the owners just videotape the madness? That poor thing!
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

rocker654

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:33 pm

cats by a thousand miles.
Having a cat is like having a cool roommate.
Having a dog is like having a retarded person living in your house, in the way that some are alright but most are pissing on the floor and gnawing at their nuts all the time and honestly, more trouble than they are worth.
Last edited by Marsupialized on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby lemur68 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:56 pm

The only advantage of dogs over cats that I can think of is that you can take them for car rides without it being a production. I had to take one of my girls in to the kitty doctor yesterday and practically had to stuff her into the carrier, and she was yowling bloody murder the whole way.

Dogs, to me, are like kids--I like them fine if they belong to other people, but I do not want one of my own.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby rocker654 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:04 am

lemur68 wrote:The only advantage of dogs over cats that I can think of is that you can take them for car rides without it being a production. I had to take one of my girls in to the kitty doctor yesterday and practically had to stuff her into the carrier, and she was yowling bloody murder the whole way.

Yes, I don't know how I'll ever get Tommy to the vet if he ever needs to go. A couple of years ago, when I brought him in to get neutered, he was fighting to the death trying to get him in the carrier, and he was so panicked, he shat in it. This was a mile drive to the vets. The VAs said he was cute, but a very naughty kitty.

My two others aren't much better. Felix screams, and Angel tries to jump up underneath the dashboard.

It's only a mile to the vets.

rocker654

Postby yut on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:11 pm

rocker654 wrote:
yut wrote:Make sure to turn up the sound... The sounds it is making are so cute, I want to bite its butt!

Seems like this is another reference to biting dog's butts that I've read on these boards as of late. A strange, but possibly canine form of affection.

That poor dog is obviously beset by invisible enemies, possibly fleas. How can the owners just videotape the madness? That poor thing!

The guy says that is what it does after he bathes it. It is probably trying to fluff up it's coat. I am not aware of how often it is bathed, but I know you shouldn't bathe a chi more than once a month. The oils on it's coat dry up if you do it more often.

As for biting dogs butts, I don't mean the anus. Gross. I don't want any worms. I'm talking more of that hind quarter just above the knee.

This dog is too cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWn0zoK7KC8

I would like to get this dog in my fusion band (This Just In). Heck, he's a better singer than Bernard Sumner. Is that guy drunk or something when he sings?

This dog also looks like it has a Chaplin or Hitler 'stache...
Last edited by yut on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby BadComrade on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:12 pm

City? Cat.
Suburbs? Dog.
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby yut on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:16 pm

rocker654 wrote:
lemur68 wrote:The only advantage of dogs over cats that I can think of is that you can take them for car rides without it being a production. I had to take one of my girls in to the kitty doctor yesterday and practically had to stuff her into the carrier, and she was yowling bloody murder the whole way.

Yes, I don't know how I'll ever get Tommy to the vet if he ever needs to go. A couple of years ago, when I brought him in to get neutered, he was fighting to the death trying to get him in the carrier, and he was so panicked, he shat in it. This was a mile drive to the vets. The VAs said he was cute, but a very naughty kitty.

My two others aren't much better. Felix screams, and Angel tries to jump up underneath the dashboard.

It's only a mile to the vets.

I read you have to build them up to it. Take them on short rides, and gradually increase the ride. The worst is if they are only in the car when you take them to the vet. They will always associate cars with the vet. Driving them to a dog park where they get to sniff a bunch o' butts is the best for them.

Also, I read feeding them a dog biscuit one hour before a ride helps them settle their stomach.

You can also get children's dramamine and figure out the dose based on the dog's weight. I found a site (too lazy to post the link, but google toy dog dramamine, and you should find it) that has doses of OTC medicine for dogs. Some human OTCs are very bad for dogs. I think Tylenol is toxic to them (it is to humans too! It does a number on your liver. Never take it for a hangover!).
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby yut on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:26 pm

Oh, they're cats... I dunno how to get them to enjoy car travel. I have rarely seen cats riding in cars.
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby rocker654 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:34 pm

My pup, Billie, loves to ride in the car. She associates it with going to see and play with other dogs (but sometimes the groomer). Whenever I open a car door around her, she jumps right in.

God help me if I ever have to take them cats for a ride. I'd probably look like I was mauled by a wolverine afterwards.

rocker654

Postby skatingbasser on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:09 pm

Cats by leaps and bounds. No contest.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."
skatingbasser
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Next