The best film in decades?

Genius
69%
Too subtle for my tastes
31%

Total votes : 35

Film: Tommy Wiseau's "The Room"

Postby MisterX on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:29 pm

I saw this captivating film for the first time three days ago, and I have seen it twice more since. This is the most haunting and original film I've seen in years. Has anyone else been exposed to the numerous charms of "The Room"?
MisterX
liver
liver

Re: Film: Tommy Wiseau's "The Room"

Postby Jodi S. on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:48 pm

They keep having midnight screenings of it here. I'm intrigued, but also really don't want to waste too much $$$ on crapass movies.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Antero on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Let's stop watching shitty movies, okay?
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby a-mat on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:06 am

Last edited by a-mat on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a-mat
assistant intern
assistant intern

Postby Antero on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:53 pm

It's crap! And so are Tim & Eric! All crap! Come on guys.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Jodi S. on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:57 pm

He has also received acting training at the Vincent Chase Workshop and the Stella Adler Studio of Acting in Los Angeles, California.

Heh, Vincent Chase.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby MisterX on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Never seen the Tim and Eric bit, although I remeber not caring much for the show when I saw an episode a while back. "The Room" on the other hand, is fucking hysterical. The more I learn about it, the more hilarious it becomes. I can only imagine what the cast was thinking during the shooting of it. The most skilled actor in the world couldn't deliver that dialogue convincingly.
MisterX
liver
liver

Postby illfuckanythingthatmoves on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:32 pm

I thought it was fucking awful!
"Shake it fast, but watch yourself. Shake it fast. Show me what you're working with."

-Mystical
illfuckanythingthatmoves
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:21 am

I don't get it, it seems like this movie would be right up PRFers' alley. I'm not usually charmed by shitty movies either, but there is magic in The Room.

I did not hit her. I did naahht!
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby GrossOldWig on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:17 am

I've seen this three times in the past month. NOT CRAP. Inept in really intriguing ways.
GrossOldWig
chuck close
chuck close

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:51 am

This movie is completely inept in every way, and your enjoyment of it wholly depends on your threshold for bullshit and how snarky and ironic you're willing to be. Everything surrounding the movie is inept - the DVD menu and authoring, the packaging, the blurb on the back. There's a misspelling in the DVD menu even (Chris-R becomes Chis-R). It's kind of amazing - absolutely EVERYTHING Wisseau touches turns to crap. I can't understand it.

I for one have a high threshold for this kind of bullshit, and I enjoy picking out the little technical imperfections. I also believe that Wisseau is completely genuine, and is proud of this work, regardless of what people think of it.

I've been to a screening at the Music Box, and I found it really irritating. Too much screaming, obnoxious dudes, lack of respect for the cinema. I much prefer to watch this at home, maybe with a friend, and continually rewind scenes whenever we find something new. Whatever this film is, it's engaging and entertaining. Less of a film than a study in filmmaking.

I like The Room.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Mr. Chimp on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:41 pm

DregsInTheCrowd wrote:This movie is completely inept in every way, and your enjoyment of it wholly depends on your threshold for bullshit and how snarky and ironic you're willing to be. Everything surrounding the movie is inept ..... It's kind of amazing - absolutely EVERYTHING Wisseau touches turns to crap. I can't understand it.

I for one have a high threshold for this kind of bullshit, and I enjoy picking out the little technical imperfections. I also believe that Wisseau is completely genuine, and is proud of this work, regardless of what people think of it.

Yep, Wiseau is a very fascinating study of hubris.

DregsInTheCrowd wrote:I like The Room.

Nope.

Crap (the film)

Crap (Wiseau, but very close.)
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I bass Century Rocket Building & Small Awesome

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & BooKoos
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby MisterX on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:14 pm

While there is an element of irony required to appreciate the film, it's not a low budget B-moive. The egomania behind it is much more funny than the ineptitude, but the two combined is incredible. I don't think there's anything wrong with appreciating something for reasons other than the creator intended, but that mode of thinking is pretty popular among the hipster set so it's out of vogue in the hipster opposition camp. My favorite part about the moive is that the dialogue is ESL and he got American actors to follow his wapred interpretation of how people speak.
MisterX
liver
liver

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Yes I agree. I sat out watching The Room for quite a while because I'm not into "so bad it's good" flicks, but The Room is interesting for reasons that extend beyond that. There's a dreamlike quality to watching what is obviously Wiseau's unadulterated vision of America. A comparison that comes to mind is the way characters in Wild at Heart are so inundated with American cinematic culture that everything they say is some reflection of a movie cliche; every plot detail and character motivation in The Room reflects an outsider (Wiseau)'s attempt to encompass all of America in a single movie.

For instance, when Lisa's mom nonchalantly announces she has breast cancer, it's inherently funny because it's a dumb line presented in a dumb way. On another level, it's funny because she's such a clearly a serious actor doing the best she can not to distance herself from Wiseau's nonsensical plot. And on yet another level it's funny to think about what could have motivated Wiseau to include such a detail -- I suppose it's his take on the hyper-consciousness Americans have of breast cancer (walks, pink ribbons, a memorial month, etc). If a naturalized American had tried to satirically make a movie in this fashion -- Tim and Eric come to mind, which I suppose is one reason they took enough interest to dedicate an episode of their show to The Room -- they would never think to include details like that, and of course no one can imitate Wiseau's English.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby eephour on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:25 pm

crap
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby pwalshj on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 am

Sorry, kids. Any movie that has this scene in it is destined to be in my library.

The noise he emits right before he attacks the dresser is EXCELLENT. (:22)
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:26 am

AAAAAAAARGH wrote:For instance, when Lisa's mom nonchalantly announces she has breast cancer, it's inherently funny because it's a dumb line presented in a dumb way. On another level, it's funny because she's such a clearly a serious actor doing the best she can not to distance herself from Wiseau's nonsensical plot. And on yet another level it's funny to think about what could have motivated Wiseau to include such a detail -- I suppose it's his take on the hyper-consciousness Americans have of breast cancer (walks, pink ribbons, a memorial month, etc). If a naturalized American had tried to satirically make a movie in this fashion -- Tim and Eric come to mind, which I suppose is one reason they took enough interest to dedicate an episode of their show to The Room -- they would never think to include details like that, and of course no one can imitate Wiseau's English.

The actress playing Claudette (Lisa's mom) said it was her first film. I suppose she took it seriously, but then there are actors in the film like Greg Sestero, who plays Mark. Sestero was involved with the production of this film, and worked on Wiseau's other film, "Homeless In America". I kind of wonder if the people with whom he's surrounded himself know any better, or if they're just sycophants. I just wouldn't rush to presume that all the actors know better. I'm sure most of them were newbies trying to get their careers started, or were friends of Wiseau, and stuck with it either for experience or the paycheck - it was a higher budget film than most people suspect, and I'm sure the actors got at least decent pay to do this. For anyone who didn't know, this film had a $6,000,000 budget. No joke. Nobody knows where he got it, though most reports state that the majority of it was spent on advertising in L.A. Sure, that's low budget by today's standards, but this movie looks like it could have been made for about $50,000 (indeed, at screenings the audience boos the cinematographer when his name appears in the opening credits). Juliette Danielle (Lisa) almost seems exasperated that she has to be doing this at certain points in the film.

I just feel that I can't give Wiseau too much credit for those little details - I really think it was mostly carelessness and a total lack of understanding of basic human interaction. I think the reason there are paintings of spoons in the apartment are because they were what he could find for free. The breast cancer thing in particular was thrown in to "add depth to the characters," per Wiseau. And I don't think it goes any deeper than that in his mind.

None of that makes it any less interesting to sit through it and enjoy those little details for what they are.

I also think he has a sense of humor about himself. According to Tim & Eric, Wiseau directed that Tim & Eric episode. I think it was an actual collaboration though. It's the only time I've seen Wiseau seemingly conscious of himself and what he's doing. And, it was funny, and he clearly knew it (the whole Jessica Alba thing was obviously intended). Maybe his next film will be amazing.

Also, he has completed a pilot for a TV show called The Neighbors, which hasn't seen the light of day yet. I'm stoked.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby William_Benton on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:13 am

I sure love watching this movie- but I don't love this movie.

Does that make sense?
"You must be willing to risk everything to really express it all."
-John Cassavetes

of Cat Casual and the Holy Midnight
and Cat Casual and the Ordinary Bones
and now Cat Casual and the Final Word
http://www.facebook.com/catcasual
William_Benton
godot
godot

Postby William_Benton on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:15 am

"You must be willing to risk everything to really express it all."
-John Cassavetes

of Cat Casual and the Holy Midnight
and Cat Casual and the Ordinary Bones
and now Cat Casual and the Final Word
http://www.facebook.com/catcasual
William_Benton
godot
godot

Postby Antero on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:23 am

Tim & Eric also fucking suck.

I'm sick of irony and intentional ugliness and humor based on the absence of humor. It's lazy.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap