The best film in decades?

Genius
69%
Too subtle for my tastes
31%

Total votes : 35

Re: Film: Tommy Wiseau's "The Room"

Postby blackmarket on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:28 am

Me Again wrote:The Room is Crap! And not amusing Crap, either. My gut reaction to everyone who thinks this is a movie worth spending time with is as follows: "If you think this is interesting, then what do you think isn't interesting?"

I think you missed the point. Great bad movies are great, because of the unintentional insight they provide and what they reveal about the producers involved (writers, directors, actors). Birdemic is another unwatchable film that is really a classic in the pantheon of bad movies. James Nguyen is a fucking madman.
Last edited by blackmarket on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackmarket
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby blackmarket on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:35 am

noise&light wrote:
phpBB [media]

James Franco appears to be completely believable as Tommy Wiseau. I might have to go see this movie.

It's based on Greg "Mark" Sestero's tell-all book of the same name. I am glad he is getting some cash for this, but fuck James Franco and Seth Rogan for making it. They ruin everything they touch. This looks terrible.
blackmarket

Postby mrcancelled on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:45 pm

blackmarket wrote:
noise&light wrote:
phpBB [media]

James Franco appears to be completely believable as Tommy Wiseau. I might have to go see this movie.

It's based on Greg "Mark" Sestero's tell-all book of the same name. I am glad he is getting some cash for this, but fuck James Franco and Seth Rogan for making it. They ruin everything they touch. This looks terrible.

People can do whatever they want and I'm just some fucking guy, but y'know--the movie was a hilarious phenomenon and Sestero's book was as good as one could ask for (especially the audiobook version) -- I just don't really get why it can't just be left at that.

I'm in my boxers laying in bed and defending the integrity of The Room on an internet message board. And who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll still watch this.

James Franco can't do Tommy's voice very well.
mrcancelled
johnny cash
johnny cash

Postby Me Again on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:10 am

blackmarket wrote:Great bad movies are great, because of the unintentional insight they provide and what they reveal about the producers involved (writers, directors, actors).

Oh, yes, I am just salivating at the prospect of learning more about shitty failed filmmakers with massively oversized egos and no sense of restraint. They're such a rare breed, and having lived under a rock all my life I've got all of the time in the world to pour over the intimate details of how they fell short of making fine films. It's truly out of this world!

Look, I get it, these people's filmographies are slow-moving train wrecks and you can't tear yourself from the view. Maybe that's your bag. How you choose to spend your time is your business. But hell, one killer movie is more interesting to me than 100+ years of crummy cinema. I saw Bogdanovich's Targets a few weeks back and to me that's a way better film for Roger Corman to be remembered for than all of the hackjobs torn to shreds on Mystery Science Threater 3000. It might be a false dichotomy to assume it has to be one or the other, but in my experience probably at least 65% of the people who love watching "so bad it's good" fare and making fun of it all night aren't in the habit of watching many great films too. They know all about the Leprechaun franchise, and movies like Bride of Chucky, but when you ask them about someone like Jean Vigo it's crickets.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
devil
devil

Postby sulfur)addict on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:20 am

Roger Corman is the shit, you're outta line.

And I follow the Prix Jean Vigo closer than Palme D'or, so don't bust out some dated Marcel Carne reference.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Defender on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:12 am

found The Room pretty fucking...fun.. hilarious...a.. 'unique' experience. and i'm sure i still would.. that^ movie looks dumb tho. way to give a dumb fuck like Wiseau even more undeserved fame and fortune, matter fact kinda hilarious...
"a little red wine, vintage record, some Ambien ... and magic!"
- elon musk
Defender
tenderfoot
tenderfoot

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 am

Oh, hai!

Not Crap
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Me Again on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:46 am

sulfur)addict wrote:Roger Corman is the shit, you're outta line.

I never said Corman's a bad guy, or that he's never had a hand in making a good film. But a lot of the kind of titles he's produced have been made fun of on MST3K and he has developed a reputation for making feature-length films over the course of a weekend, the quality of many of these titles being predictably sub-par.

The reason I bring Corman up is that something like Targets is a far more worthwhile example of something he's produced than anything Crow T. Robot, Tom Servo, et al have used as fodder for one-liners. I understand the appeal of watching crummy movies but to me it pales in comparison to watching films that are sound in terms of aesthetics and "content." That's my thesis. And when a good chunk of people watch one (crummy movies) at the expense of the other (great movies), it would seem their priorities are a bit muddled. Maybe it's my fault for caring at all about this, but it stills seems rather "off" to me.

sulfur)addict wrote:And I follow the Prix Jean Vigo closer than Palme D'or, so don't bust out some dated Marcel Carne reference.

Carné has little do with this. But ask yourself, how many people who are going to rush out to see James Franco in The Disaster Artist are excited about that Eclipse Claude Autant-Lara boxset that was announced last week? :|
Me Again
devil
devil

Postby blackmarket on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Me Again wrote:Bogdanovich's Targets

Boris Karloff's bitch slap is one of the greatest moments ever committed to film.
blackmarket

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:00 am

Me Again wrote:
sulfur)addict wrote:Roger Corman is the shit, you're outta line.

I never said Corman's a bad guy, or that he's never had a hand in making a good film. But a lot of the kind of titles he's produced have been made fun of on MST3K and he has developed a reputation for making feature-length films over the course of a weekend, the quality of many of these titles being predictably sub-par.

Sure, but there's been many a Godard film that's taken quadruple the time and triple the budget without delivering the goods. I've avoided Corman's worst films with the slightest sleuthing before watching, but I'll be damned if Gas-s-s-s-s-s, Man With The X-Ray Eyes, and his Edgar Allen Poe cycle weren't all at least entertaining flicks.

Me Again wrote:Carné has little do with this. But ask yourself, how many people who are going to rush out to see James Franco in The Disaster Artist are excited about that Eclipse Claude Autant-Lara boxset that was announced last week? :|

Yeah, it's a shame kids these days aren't into a far right filmmaker who thought "good film" ended at the set design. I've only seen Marguerite de la nuit from Autant-Lara, but it was a melodramatic mess, such a waste of the beautiful expressionistic set designs. No one's crying any tears that he's largely (rightly) been forgotten; Autant-Lara isn't going to sway anyone to give French films or world cinema or serious directors or anything a chance, unless they were already willing to do so.

If you want to tackle the ironic idiots who will still shell out cash for a goddamn Seth Rogan flick (I could've predicted that "he knows where her vagina is, right?" line without even trying!) you're gonna need more than outdated French fascists behind the camera. Call me when Criterion has successfully translated Jacques Baratier's La poupee into English. Hell, call me when anyone in the film industry is willing to put real cash behind a new movie that dares to say something different - otherwise we'll see James Franco starring in all sorts of bullshit until people finally wise up to the fact he sells snake oil without a shred of talent.

The Disaster Artist looks terrible.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby Me Again on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:40 am

Have not seen any of those Autant-Lara films yet. There are definitely more palatable, or potentially palatable, films ones could excited about before them, yes. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The thought process for me was/is more along the lines of "It's nice that a few films low-balled to death by the Cahiers du Cinéma crowd have managed to find a release in the U.S.A., since a lot of this stuff has more or less been consigned to the dustbin of history here. Given the fickleness of such critics I believe that in rejecting the 'cinéma du papa' they might have, at times, thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Now we have a chance to see if they were right." I would feel similarly excited if Marcel Hanoun's The Eighth Day got a new transfer, just so I could finally see it somewhere else than via a shoddy transfer on Youtube with no English subtitles, regardless of whether the film turns out to be great.

And yes, Godard has made a number of flops, some a lot more publicized than the kind of rush jobs Corman sometimes produced.

Anyway, The Disaster Artist.......Hard pass for me.
Me Again
devil
devil

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:40 am

sulfur)addict wrote:(I could've predicted that "he knows where her vagina is, right?" line without even trying!)

Yeah, they were handed that one.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby mackro on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 am

I just saw The Disaster Artist. It’s fun. On a scale of 1 to 10, it’s a 6. Whatever a “good rental” means these days, that’s what this movie is. I’m wondering if it may seem more bizarre and better for people who *haven’t* seen The Room, honestly, just because of the initial WTF-ness if the story.

Either way, I don’t regret seeing this with friends, but it’s predictably underwhelming/overrated compared to what the trailers promised.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap