The best film in decades?

Genius
69%
Too subtle for my tastes
31%

Total votes : 35

Re: Film: Tommy Wiseau's "The Room"

Postby Colonel Panic on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:45 am

Having a whole set of environmental requirements for viewing a movie in order to make it tolerable? I'd say that's a hint there's something wrong with the movie. The Rocky Horror Picture Show may be fun to see in a theater with a crowd all dressed in drag and throwing shit at the screen, but that doesn't make it a good movie. Snakes On A Plane may be fun to watch with a bunch of nerds who know the whole Internet backstory and recite every line by heart, but that doesn't make it a good movie either. Viewed on their own without the hipster culture cues, both those movies really kind of suck.

I think The Room is exactly the same kind of thing, only the movie is worse. I have watched both Rocky Horror and Snakes On A Plane in their entirety, outside the carnival atmosphere of a public screening, but was only able to get through maybe 40 minutes of The Room (and that included skipping ahead a few minutes here and there, over some of the more disgusting and tedious scenes).

Obviously, the "proper" way to see this film is among a group of sarcastic and funny friends, so I would love to get together a big screening of this awful, awful movie the next time you guys are in town (or when we make it up to the Mil). Whaddya say?
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mr. Chimp on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:10 pm

I shall revisit my opinion of this from 1.5 years ago, to see if it has changed.

Nope, still total horseshit.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I bass Century Rocket Building & Small Awesome

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & BooKoos
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby DrAwkward on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:19 pm

Colonel Panic wrote:Obviously, the "proper" way to see this film is among a group of sarcastic and funny friends, so I would love to get together a big screening of this awful, awful movie the next time you guys are in town (or when we make it up to the Mil). Whaddya say?

Most definitely. I'll see if i can find a copy of Birdemic and we'll make it a double feature.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:12 pm

not a good adaptation of the Hubert Selby Jr. novel.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Colonel Panic on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:48 pm

DrAwkward wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Obviously, the "proper" way to see this film is among a group of sarcastic and funny friends, so I would love to get together a big screening of this awful, awful movie the next time you guys are in town (or when we make it up to the Mil). Whaddya say?

Most definitely. I'll see if i can find a copy of Birdemic and we'll make it a double feature.

I already have both movies!

We ought to put Troll 2 on the bill as well. That should be the feature presentation though, because it's easily the laugh-out-loud worst of all three.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic

Postby slowriot on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Colonel Panic wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:

We ought to put Troll 2 on the bill as well. That should be the feature presentation though, because it's easily the laugh-out-loud worst of all three.

I thought the same until last week, when I lent my Troll 2 blu-ray to a co-worker who had just seen "The Room" for the first time. He said Troll 2 was painful and in no way compared to the horror of the room. I'd say let the Room be your headliner.
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby lemur68 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:54 pm

slowriot wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:

I thought the same until last week, when I lent my Troll 2 blu-ray to a co-worker who had just seen "The Room" for the first time. He said Troll 2 was painful and in no way compared to the horror of the room. I'd say let the Room be your headliner.

I saw Troll 2 on TV a week ago, and they cut out the "OH MY GOOOOOOOOD" line. It was my first time seeing it, so I wonder what else they cut out.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Postby lemur68 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:56 pm

DrAwkward wrote:The viewing experience of The Room, for me, was quite a letdown based on the buildup i experienced. Of course, it could also be that mere weeks before my first (and thus far, only) midnight screening of The Room, i attended a midnight screening of a movie that is far worse, far more unintentionally hilarious, and far more inept on just about every level. That movie is Birdemic: Shock and Terror. Everything you can find wrong with The Room is trumped in spades by this festering pile. After experiencing Birdemic, The Room just played like a bad soap opera, not a disastrous one.

I find those clip-art birds to be creepier than if they looked realistic or were actual birds.

And I want to know the name of the gugga-gugga big-pants band playing the theme and if they ever tried to play Ozzfest.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Postby stewie on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:11 am

100% with Colonel on this one.

This movie is utterly unwatchable shit. Hipsters who find it ironically amusing are fucked in the head.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby slowriot on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Odd that you would use the "hipster" insult to classify the kinds of people who watch this movie. For what it's worth, at all the of the screenings I've been to, if anything, the crowd is overwhelmingly fratty. Also, a lot of parents bring their high school-aged children. I think the hipsters are too busy watching shit like "Waking Life".
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby DrAwkward on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:44 pm

stewie wrote:100% with Colonel on this one.

This movie is utterly unwatchable shit. Hipsters who find it ironically amusing are fucked in the head.

What about non-hipsters who enjoy it ironically?

The only people I know who have watched this movie are film nerds and sci-fi dorks. The one screening I went to didn't have a single douche in over-sized glasses or tight jeans.

One thing all you "stop watching bad things" advocates seem to be missing is that there is something to be learned by watching bad, hilariously incompetent movies. Filmmakers can use it to see examples of what not to do, or even find cheap, low-budget tricks that somehow defy the odds and work. Then you have stuff like Black Dynamite, that emulates technically flawed and poorly-acted 70s blaxploitation to genius comedic effect (and in a loving way, not a scornful one).

Also, those of you who think that unintentionally bad art is the only thing the lovers of trash cinema/art are consuming...don't be silly.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Mason on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:50 pm

placeholder wrote:I don't watch anything ironically. I legitimately enjoy weird, terrible movies and this one is a standout.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Kate Rev on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Mason wrote:
placeholder wrote:I don't watch anything ironically. I legitimately enjoy weird, terrible movies and this one is a standout.

Same.

I don't get the argument, whether it applies to The Room or Millionaires. Just because I also like smart shit doesn't mean I can't like stupid shit too. I mean, it's fine to not like it also; who cares.
Kate Rev
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby DrAwkward on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Kate Revitte wrote:I don't get the argument, whether it applies to The Room or Millionaires. Just because I also like smart shit doesn't mean I can't like stupid shit too. I mean, it's fine to not like it also; who cares.

I guess some "smart" people either can't or don't want to be able to compartmentalize, or refuse to understand that some of us do.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Ptommydski on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Kate Revitte wrote:I don't get the argument, whether it applies to The Room or Millionaires. Just because I also like smart shit doesn't mean I can't like stupid shit too. I mean, it's fine to not like it also; who cares.

Well put, I couldn't have summed this up in ten times as many words.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby placeholder on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Kate Revitte wrote:
Mason wrote:

Same.

I don't get the argument, whether it applies to The Room or Millionaires. Just because I also like smart shit doesn't mean I can't like stupid shit too. I mean, it's fine to not like it also; who cares.

Yes. You nailed it. I'll make a redundant post!

I like what I like. I hate irony and don't have time for it.

Legitimately liking something stupid--and I think The Room is uniquely stupid--does not necessarily mean that you're some irony-loving douche. I'm not looking down my nose at stuff like The Room or Troll 2 or Cobra or whatever the fuck; I'm into it. It doesn't preclude me from liking smart stuff as well. I like things that entertain me.
placeholder

Postby Eric Fundingsland on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Filmmakers of the world you now have officially NO EXCUSE! This guy made a movie. Trust me, you can too.
Your ninja was supposed to destroy Robocop.
Eric Fundingsland
courtesan
courtesan

Postby slowriot on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:38 am

great screening tonight. kids with giant boxes of costco plastic spoons. average age of the audience had to be younger than 23. i felt a little old being there. no hipsters around. lots of nerds, foreigners and goths. shook tommy's hand and congratulated him on the film. good times.
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Arson Smith on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:26 pm

For whatever reason(s), I had kept procrastinating the watching of this film.

Then forum member Tommy Alpha and I randomly bumped into Tommy W. and Greg S. whilst queueing up to purchase tram tickets for the Saint Louis Gateway Arch.

I knew then that I would have to watch the film ASAP with Mr. Alpha (and beers).

I think watching any individual scene clips on YouTube is a waste of your time.

This thing really does have to be soaked in, all in one sitting for full appreciation.

I would actually be annoyed to watch in a spoon-throwing "Rocky Horror" setting.

This is a perfect thing to watch with a friend (or two) and just get amazed at it.

I can't wait to get a chance to sit still and watch it again with my lady.
My mind, it's a terrible diskette.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby TheMilford on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:48 am

Have any of you checked this out?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disaster_Artist

The audiobook is amazing. I've been enjoying it while working in the shop…

In May 2014, an audiobook version of The Disaster Artist was released by Tantor Audio, with Greg Sestero reading the story. Sestero's impression of Tommy Wiseau in the audiobook has received praise from critics...

This story is fascinating… strong recommend!
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap