Total votes : 9

Band: Kid Dakota

Postby mattw on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:17 pm

Kid Dakota?
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby placeholder on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:25 pm

NOT CRAP. No waffle factor. So Pretty is a great, great record. And, Porco Dio! Darren Jackson is the nice guy! "Crossin' Fingers" is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Really.

Kid Dakota story, told poorly: A year or two ago, he crashed with my bandmates the night he played Memphis. One of said bandmates scared the bejesus out of him by sleepwalking into the room where he was sleeping, then standing there and laughing. He says "Brad?", thinking it is Brad of the Black Eyed Snakes, but it was instead Brad of The Family Ghost. So crazy, this thing.

I still need to get that last album...
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby mattw on Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:47 am

bump
mattw

Postby skpprn on Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:54 am

One of my favorite bands and the latest album is one thos years best.
skpprn
president
president

Re: Band: Kid Dakota

Postby finkystinger on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:57 am

Digging this WAY up.

I was a huge fan of the first EP, which became the So Pretty LP with the addition of a few more songs. The sound of those first five songs were pretty unapologetically basic (and hinting at brutal), and I think of an Albini-derived verité aesthetic. Musically Darren is like, halfway between Slint and Built to Spill, with a very capable voice and very deliberate guitar production. It was a great sound. With the albums after So Pretty -- The West Is the Future and A Winner's Shadow -- I lost interest. It was good indie rock, but it didn't have the ascetic, minimalist melodrama. That had been replaced by a more typical, indie-pop oriented songwriting practice. The sound had also been fleshed out a bit. I may revisit those two albums now, because I'm liking the new album, Listen to the Crows as They Take Flight. It is on the catchy and accessible side, like the last two albums, but I am enjoying it much more, currently. Darren Jackson's songwriting is really focused, possibly influenced by his other band, the Hopefuls, which is more power-poppy. There are also lengthy passages where the band stretches out, and canny songwriting all over. So yeah the new Kid Dakota is great, with actually a sort of old-fashioned "album rock" approach to semi-minimalist indie rock. Check it out.
http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2 ... flight.php
finkystinger
viceroy
viceroy

Postby cneutron on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:01 am

finkystinger wrote:Digging this WAY up.

I was a huge fan of the first EP, which became the So Pretty LP with the addition of a few more songs. The sound of those first five songs were pretty unapologetically basic (and hinting at brutal), and I think of an Albini-derived verité aesthetic. Musically Darren is like, halfway between Slint and Built to Spill, with a very capable voice and very deliberate guitar production. It was a great sound. With the albums after So Pretty -- The West Is the Future and A Winner's Shadow -- I lost interest. It was good indie rock, but it didn't have the ascetic, minimalist melodrama. That had been replaced by a more typical, indie-pop oriented songwriting practice. The sound had also been fleshed out a bit. I may revisit those two albums now, because I'm liking the new album, Listen to the Crows as They Take Flight. It is on the catchy and accessible side, like the last two albums, but I am enjoying it much more, currently. Darren Jackson's songwriting is really focused, possibly influenced by his other band, the Hopefuls, which is more power-poppy. There are also lengthy passages where the band stretches out, and canny songwriting all over. So yeah the new Kid Dakota is great, with actually a sort of old-fashioned "album rock" approach to semi-minimalist indie rock. Check it out.
http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2 ... flight.php

basically... this.
Recently rediscovered So Pretty in a big way... and yeah
This currently as 13 views, at least 4 of which are me.
13!!!!

Um.... if there wasn't already 234523542354654674567 bands vying for position on the next PRF BBQ, I would say "no brainer" Jesus Christ.
How could I forget how great his band was/is?

I'm going to retry the later albums too, I think I was far too eager for "more of that please" than I should have been.
But ye cripes man....
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby ergo space pig on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:25 am

i heard of this band through mp3.com back in 2002 or so. i finally got around to hearing all of "so pretty" recently and it's really good, especially "the overcoat" (which has become one of my favorite songs over the years). i downloaded the newest and it seems like it's trying way too hard to be some kind of mainstream rock, though, so i'm hesitant to check out other albums. still, NC on the strength of the first album.
ergo space pig
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby cneutron on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Two things!
So Pretty is being released on vinyl (at last!)

and I had Darren on Protonic Reversal and we talked about all kinds of stuff. Which I figure might be of interest to the NOT CRAP voters of this thread.

Episode 108 - Darren Jackson

stream/download

Hello, friends, and thank you for joining Conan and Josh for another episode of Protonic Reversal! Today’s guest is Darren Jackson of Kid Dakota, whose album So Pretty is about to get its first vinyl issue. We discuss that, and:
[quote]
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron

Return to Crap / Not Crap