Dogtooth

Crap
17%
Not Crap
83%

Total votes : 12

Re: Film: Dogtooth

Postby enframed on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:56 pm

New film by Yorgos Lanthimos, The Lobster, is pretty good, and a mind-fuck like its predecessor. Recommended if you liked Dogtooth. Read a synopsis but don't watch the trailer.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby goatbreather on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Thought The Lobster was pretty good as well. It upsets so many people at theater i'm a manager at. One irate woman told me it was a snuff film for some reason. Another older man told me it was sick that i liked it, and compared it to cutting his dick off.
goatbreather
mother superior
mother superior

Postby goatbreather on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Thought The Lobster was pretty good as well. It upsets so many people at the theater I work at. One irate woman told me it was a snuff film, and an old man compared watching it to cutting his dick off.
Last edited by goatbreather on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goatbreather
mother superior
mother superior

Postby Charlie D on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:13 am

I've seen the trailer a few times by now, actually. Never tied it to Dogtooth, though.
Charlie D
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Location: Whittier Neighborhood, Powderhorn Community, Minneapolis, MN

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Loved Dogtooth but was very underwhelmed by The Lobster. While not quite the Hollywood version of a Yorgos Lanthimos film, it struck me as much a much broader "statement on society" and much more obviously "dystopian" or "satirical," in this case pertaining to "love" rather than to "family." The film sort of rubs your nose in what it's trying to do. Unlike Dogtooth, there was no real reason to buy into or give much of a shit about the absurdity going on and it felt a little bloated. Parts of it were written and acted like some crappy theater piece. It felt almost as contrived as say, a Wes Anderson film, albeit w/a tone that would be the antithesis of that.

That said, I did laugh a few times, and I'm not sure I'd have disliked it as much if I hadn't seen and enjoyed Dogtooth years before.

Crap, some waffles for black humor and I guess maybe a little originality plus the physical radiance of Léa Seydoux.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby NewDarkAge on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Excellent film. In the hands of someone else the premise might well have worn thin over 90 minutes, but it's clear Lanthimos really took the time to think about what might result from such an unusual situation. Hence all the fantastic details (like the randomly reassigned words) and set pieces. Another thing I liked was the claustrophobic framing, it almost looked like it was shot in Academy ratio and cut down. Don't recall seeing that technique used so well over an entire feature before.

Not crap at all.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:59 am

Just saw The Killing of a Sacred Deer today and thought it was excellent. Old couple in front of me thought it was appropriate to say "what a load of pretentious crap" and "we coulda done without that one" at the end, loud enough for everyone to hear. I'm beginning to love this country already.
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
john wyndham
john wyndham

Postby Madman Munt on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:11 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:The Lobster.

I saw this a short while back.

I couldn't help think of Dougal from Father Ted every time Colin Farrell opened his mouth.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby mattw on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:10 pm

Did a write-up on two movies by Yorgos Lanthimos. I have very conflicted feelings about the director. Anyone seen The Killing of a Sacred Deer?
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Otto Parts on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 pm

I saw Killing of a Sacred Deer this morning (99 cent rental on Amazon Prime.) I thought it was pretty great for the most part - Lanthimos has a unique style, jet-black deadpan humor & all which prompted a couple of those "HA!" laughs that aren't really laughs but more like "holy shit, they went there?" Great actors, great photography. I found the conclusion a bit unsatisfying, but it's based on mythology so I'm probably totally whiffing on some subtext or symbolism that I'm supposed to get. I give it a not crap.
Otto Parts
julia roberts
julia roberts

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap