Propagandhi?

Crapagandhi?
42%
Not Crapagandhi?
58%

Total votes : 126

Re: band: Propagandhi

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Is Chris really the only dude between him and Todd that writes songs about Veganism? I mean, I know everyone in the band is vegan, I just am struggling to think of a Todd or John K. song that has to do with not eating animals.

I know Todd has said his piece on why he thinks eating animals is sloppy in the liner notes for Supporting Caste.

Fuck, I might just listen to their last four albums tonight.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby SarahThePerson on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:10 pm

These guys are heroes to me.
SarahThePerson
timex
timex

Postby var on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:47 pm

I saw them live in the mid-nineties and picked up a copy of Less Talk, More Rock at the merch table. It's been one of my go-to records when I want to sing-along to something in the car ever since.

Not crap.
Last edited by var on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
var
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby Andrew. on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:43 am

Todd at the end of that video. Guy is so 110%. That ugly bass and MAD magazine T-shirt and gym shorts. The greatest.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby SarahThePerson on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:24 pm

Good old Propagandhi, I love that video. Their spirit is the best.
SarahThePerson
timex
timex

Postby Andrew. on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Propagandhi wrote:Propagandhi is now searching for two new members; Chris and Todd are no longer alive after the Sacrifice and Razor show in Winnipeg last night.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby harpseal2 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Andrew. wrote:
Propagandhi wrote:Propagandhi is now searching for two new members; Chris and Todd are no longer alive after the Sacrifice and Razor show in Winnipeg last night.

Jesus H. Chris will rise again in three days. Just you wait.
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby harpseal2 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:42 am

Steve V. wrote: Their philosophies are just objective and approachable enough to turn a 14 year-old beach-dwelling, aimless bum of a kid into someone hoping to participate in both conversation and action towards effecting a shift of consciousness and change.

Funny, this almost fits me to a tee.

Propagandhi basically changed my life. I don't listen to them as much as I'd like to anymore, to be honest, but they always kick my ass when I do.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby mazacultura on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Bass guy: "So put on yer fuckin' entertaining cap, 'cause we're fuckin' (laughs)... 'bout to giv'er."

Audience member: "Canada!"

Perfect.
mazacultura
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Andrew. on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:42 pm

Sounds like they're not seeking a new full member so much as a new touring guitarist? It would be fun if they got a real hesher.

hey people! well, the day we have been in denial about for years has finally arrived and starting this September (2015), our beloved Beaver won’t be able to join us on the road to melt faces with his 6 string stack attack anymore. it is a sad reality, but let’s turn these frowns upside down and whip this into an exciting opportunity! Do you play guitar? Are you familiar with our music? Have you felt like you’ve been living in a dingbat-clown-idiot society since you were a little kid and always hoped your real parents from Rigel 7 would come rescue you? Well, then get at us ASAP! Women are strongly encouraged to apply!

Hit us up at info@propagandhi.com

Operators are standing by!

http://propagandhi.com/2015/06/propagan ... ersonator/
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby harpseal2 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Andrew. wrote:Sounds like they're not seeking a new full member so much as a new touring guitarist? It would be fun if they got a real hesher.

hey people! well, the day we have been in denial about for years has finally arrived and starting this September (2015), our beloved Beaver won’t be able to join us on the road to melt faces with his 6 string stack attack anymore. it is a sad reality, but let’s turn these frowns upside down and whip this into an exciting opportunity! Do you play guitar? Are you familiar with our music? Have you felt like you’ve been living in a dingbat-clown-idiot society since you were a little kid and always hoped your real parents from Rigel 7 would come rescue you? Well, then get at us ASAP! Women are strongly encouraged to apply!

Hit us up at info@propagandhi.com

Operators are standing by!

http://propagandhi.com/2015/06/propagan ... ersonator/

Thank God it's only for a tour. I'd really miss Beave.

harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:29 am

Steve V. wrote:Rebel Spell cover here.

Also, I didn't get the Propagandhi gig.

Fuck yes!

I need to see these dudes live again already. Fuck.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby harpseal2 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:38 am

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:

Fuck yes!

I missed them last time they were in Brisbane, man, I was crushed! I mean, there was no way I could see them, being 16 at the time. Man, I've never wanted to be older so hard.

I've come to the conclusion, after many years of Propagandhi in my ears, that Today's Empires... is definitely the best Propagandhi album. I love all their music, but TETA just slams, drives, grinds, kills harder than any of the other albums. The solo at the end of "Purina" is probably the greatest solo I have ever heard! And "Mate Ka Moris Ukun Rasik An" is the best album opener I've heard. And jesus, "New Homes For Idle Hands" slays, as does "Ladies' Night", "Fuck the Border"...

"Iteration" is also face-meltingly good.

FUCK I LOVE THIS BAND

harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:51 am

harpseal2 wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:

Fuck yes!

I missed them last time they were in Brisbane, man, I was crushed! I mean, there was no way I could see them, being 16 at the time. Man, I've never wanted to be older so hard.

I've come to the conclusion, after many years of Propagandhi in my ears, that Today's Empires... is definitely the best Propagandhi album. I love all their music, but TETA just slams, drives, grinds, kills harder than any of the other albums. The solo at the end of "Purina" is probably the greatest solo I have ever heard! And "Mate Ka Moris Ukun Rasik An" is the best album opener I've heard. And jesus, "New Homes For Idle Hands" slays, as does "Ladies' Night", "Fuck the Border"...

FUCK I LOVE THIS BAND

My brother loves TETA and it's 100% his favorite as well! I'm more into Potemkin City Limits as my all time favorite, but that's only by a bee's dick. They're all perfect and great in their own way.

I just fucking LOVE PCL for it's rawer qualities. Still a three piece at the time, nice but less-flattering recording style, Jesus H. Chris' vocals/lyrics hit me 100% (they always do, just this time around more than others), and the songs are the best batch of tunes I have heard the boys write up to that point.

I'd like to repeat that I can barely choose which one is best. It's too close, but for me it's PCL.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby harpseal2 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:32 am

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:
harpseal2 wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:

Fuck yes!

FUCK I LOVE THIS BAND

My brother loves TETA and it's 100% his favorite as well! I'm more into Potemkin City Limits as my all time favorite, but that's only by a bee's dick. They're all perfect and great in their own way.

I just fucking LOVE PCL for it's rawer qualities. Still a three piece at the time, nice but less-flattering recording style, Jesus H. Chris' vocals/lyrics hit me 100% (they always do, just this time around more than others), and the songs are the best batch of tunes I have heard the boys write up to that point.

I'd like to repeat that I can barely choose which one is best. It's too close, but for me it's PCL.

PCL was actually the first one I bought! I think I'd rate it, maybe below TETA by a bee's dick as well. The songs are fucking amazing. I feel Todd's songs are a tad weaker on this one, which is probably the only thing bringing it down. It's an odd album, but I love it. TETA just rocks that little bit harder imo.

Dude, all of their shit is amazing. Even the ham-fisted attempt with How To Clean Everything. I mean, they've actually gotten better! How many other bands have gotten better as they went on?

You, me, and Steve V. should eventually get together and start an obviously Propagandhi-inspired band.

harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:38 pm

"New Homes For Idle Hands" is probably my favorite track off of TETA haha

I'm still really into I-Spy and am kind of obsessed with Todd's vocals/lyrics in both I-Spy and Propagandhi.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby harpseal2 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Steve V. wrote:Harpseal, Anthony, have you read this quite comprehensive Propagandhi history?

Not only have I read it, I've read it about 5 times!

Steve V. wrote:Potemkin is my favorite with TETA close behind it. It was odd reading that PCL was the album which almost broke the band up. One thing about that record is I can't see three dudes pulling many of those songs off live. That record seemed cooked (to perfection) in the studio, whereas TETA was a bit more raw and road-tested. I think the despair of PCL is what draws me to it the most. It's a really dark record, completely cynical.

Todd's songs are never weak if considered simply as singular songs, but sometimes, on a record, they are too abrupt. There's always one Todd song on every record since he's made with Propagandhi that sticks out a bit sorely. On TETA, it was "New Homes for Idle Hands," PCL: Superbowl Patriot, Supporting Caste: This is Your Life, Failed States: Hadron Collision. All of those songs are excellent, but in the context of the records that contain them, they affect the whole. Not necessarily in a bad way, especially to someone who loves everything Propagandhi does, but maybe to some people.

Then there is the one-two punch on PCL of "Bringer" and "Cut into the Earth." Those songs are masterpieces.

I would say that "Ordinary People Do Fucked Up Things" sticks out more than "New Homes". It sounds like a different band, like a grindcore group or something.

It took a while for "Bringer" and "Cut" to grow on me, which is probably why I think PCL took a while. As I said, it was the first Propagandhi album I bought, I'd never heard it before. I listened to How To Clean Everything a couple of times before, and it was like a different band.

Supporting Caste was my favourite for a while, and I suppose all the songs are still great, but I think TETA just rocks the hardest. Even with that horrible tone, it's just the most brilliant collection of songs.

I actually really started to appreciate "Bringer" after seeing this live vid, where Chris sings and it's in E flat.

phpBB [media]

harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby harpseal2 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:48 pm

harpseal2 wrote:I missed them last time they were in Brisbane, man, I was crushed! I mean, there was no way I could see them, being 16 at the time. Man, I've never wanted to be older so hard.

And the venue Shellac picked is also +18...

Why do my favourite bands hate me?

harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:54 am

Steve V. wrote:It's not the band, it's the venues and the laws in your stupid country.

sig'd + beautiful
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby harpseal2 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:20 am

Steve V. wrote:
harpseal2 wrote:
harpseal2 wrote:I missed them last time they were in Brisbane, man, I was crushed! I mean, there was no way I could see them, being 16 at the time. Man, I've never wanted to be older so hard.

And the venue Shellac picked is also +18...

Why do my favourite bands hate me?

It's not the band, it's the venues and the laws in your stupid country.

Very true.

Tim from Tym Guitars (or James from Violent Soho, who worked there, I don't remember) said Propagandhi might have played Tym Guitars, but they didn't, which was quite sad, as I could have gone.

Next time Propagandhi comes here, I'll be 18 at least. Unless they come before May 12, which would very much piss me off.

harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap