Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
68%
NOT CRAP
32%

Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby DrAwkward on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:01 pm

big_dave wrote:I didn't mean to compare the quality or anything. I just think that getting over yourself long enough to embarrass yourself is like 95 percent of eventually saying interestings things. Unless you're financially/socially motivated to keep saying dumb things, which OF are and Minor Threat weren't (I guess).

Truth.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Heath on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Say what you will, that masterclass in assonance that Dr. Earl taught a while back was quite elucidating.
I don't need the people of Athens any more than I need another hole in my head. I've got five already, thank you very much.
Heath
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby Braniac5 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:05 pm

From what little I've heard, by virtue of this thread, a typical high school kid has got more spit than these c/rappers.
Braniac5
mister rogers
mister rogers

Postby Boombats on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Braniac5 wrote:From what little I've heard, by virtue of this thread, a typical high school kid has got more spit than these c/rappers.

I disagree.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby RSMurphy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Antero wrote:
RSMurphy wrote:I am a bit new to this whole Frank Ocean thing, but from what I've read thus far he has not said that he is a gay man. He has admitted to experimentation which is not in the same ballpark as coming out as a gay man. If I'm wrong, then can someone point me out to where he actually comes out of the closet as a gay man?

Right, he just talked about a particular event in his life. People close to him are talking about it basically as him coming out as bisexual.

Whereas the media is just like "OMG GUYS HE'S GAY! GAY GAY GAY!" and, wait, hold on, no.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA @ "coming out as bisexual." That's rich. It's like coming out as a unicorn or a bowl of Rice Krispies.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Antero on Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:00 am

RSMurphy wrote:
Antero wrote:
RSMurphy wrote:I am a bit new to this whole Frank Ocean thing, but from what I've read thus far he has not said that he is a gay man. He has admitted to experimentation which is not in the same ballpark as coming out as a gay man. If I'm wrong, then can someone point me out to where he actually comes out of the closet as a gay man?

Right, he just talked about a particular event in his life. People close to him are talking about it basically as him coming out as bisexual.

Whereas the media is just like "OMG GUYS HE'S GAY! GAY GAY GAY!" and, wait, hold on, no.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA @ "coming out as bisexual." That's rich. It's like coming out as a unicorn or a bowl of Rice Krispies.

I realize you don't believe in the existence of such but, still, you might see how the absolutism of that attitude devalues genuine experiences that some people have?
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:46 am

Antero wrote:I realize you don't believe in the existence of such but, still, you might see how the absolutism of that attitude devalues genuine experiences that some people have?

We'll see how genuine it is when Frank marries a woman. re: I have an album coming out and I sucked a dick.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby don.chaney on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:52 pm

numberthirty wrote:
don.chaney wrote:I understand being angry that bigotry exists at all, but I don't understand getting worked up at people who are celebrating progress, nor do I understand insisting that a guy who says he supports homosexuals and is friends with homosexuals and works with homosexuals and does things that a homophobe would probably not be comfortable doing is totally without question homophobic.

It's because how you handle something when you have no stake in it probably says more about you that when a friendship factors into your behavior.

I'm not sure what there is to compare in terms of pre/post Frank Ocean since another member, Syd, appears to have been openly gay from the beginning and he was only 16 when the group formed, but his using the word the way he does, as a blanket insult/synonym for "you're a pussy", certainly says plenty of things about him depending who you ask - he's an idiot, he's immature, he's trying to offend people, he's "unfiltered", etc.

I'm not going against any of that, I'm just saying that nothing outside of people refusing to look at the context of the word (regardless of how you feel about that context) suggests he is homophobic. I already called him an idiot.

big_dave wrote:
don.chaney wrote:I think guys trying to "prove themselves" in an "absurdly macho culture" is one of the main reasons there are so many homophobic/sexist douchebags out there, in and outside of hip-hop culture. I don't understand how you can "excuse" the awful, hateful shit they say in that unreleased track, and I say that as someone who agrees with pretty much everything you've had to say about Odd Future.

Exactly, but OF are all play. They have gay friends and are obviously not homophobic as individuals. This is a whole world milder than Dancehall where plenty of the performers aren't homophobic or bigoted themselves, but make threats in their songs because it is expectation that they are rising to - unlike say, the Congos whose rants against gays was to do with their being unable to extricate their music from their situation. If Earl made a song like "Stapleton" in the situation he is in now, rather than being an unfiltered kid with a twisted imagination and weird hang-ups, I'd dismiss him as crap and unfunny. The same way as if Louis CK did the bit about the gay guy in pink wellingtons in a way that wasn't all about his own perceptions, it would just be a joke about how stupid the effeminate man was. Tyler and others have done/said things now that make me dislike them, and its all do with the situation. Earl seems to have distanced himself, but I think everyone expected this.

Honestly the young ATCQ sound like they're intimidated by women and threatened by gays. "Date Rape" and "Georgie" just sound like they're desperate to prove themselves, and they pretty much dropped that schtick for their next records. Unfortunately, they also dropped the interesting music.

I was only commenting on A Tribe Called Quest (and "Georgie" specifically), but that's not a bad answer.
Marsupialized wrote:Anger is an anchor, bro. Dragging your bitch ass down.
don.chaney
philip guston
philip guston

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:38 pm

I have been watching live videos from this group all day and JESUS, it takes the average God awful live hip hop experience and multiplies every awful aspect by ten.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Zorg on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:22 pm

So hipsters have plundered every stupid ironic fad and they now have their own brand of Adult Contemporary? This guy is performing Sade covers? Sade? I'm going to Chick-Fil-A in protest.
Zorg
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 pm

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Rappers have such rock solid integrity, always
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Bill Swansea on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

I think at this point Odd Future and Miley Cyrus pretty much have the same fanbase.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby bobbyscript on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Oddly enough I was just listening to Tyler's first album yesterday. Don't know what prompted me to do so. I still think the first round of OF releases (pre-Goblin) kick serious ass. I don't know if it was the instant fame, overexposure or expectations to "save hip hop" that made them fall off so hard, but boy did they ever. Or, maybe they said all they had to say?

They've dealt with fame abysmally. What I loved about the early releases was the anonymity that surrounded them. It could have been any fucked up kid making fucked up lo-fi hip hop records in his room. Once they revealed themselves to be immature jackasses instead of seriously fucked up teenagers, everything that made them interesting and unique went out the window.

I still remember the first time I saw the videos for Yonkers and Earl. I was sitting in class and watched them over and over again. I was legitimately frightened of these guys, but something about them grabbed me. Not a chance would they have the same effect on me if I knew what I know about them now.
bobbyscript
pope
pope

Postby countwatula on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Wasn't "wow, these guys seem fucked up" the appeal of Slipknot, Korn, etc?

What I'm saying is history repeats itself, forever.
That makes me an angry boy.
countwatula
geese ausbie
geese ausbie

Postby bobbyscript on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:49 pm

countwatula wrote:Wasn't "wow, these guys seem fucked up" the appeal of Slipknot, Korn, etc?

Psssssh. You know that's a shitty comparison
bobbyscript
pope
pope

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:31 am

countwatula wrote:Wasn't "wow, these guys seem fucked up" the appeal of Slipknot, Korn, etc?

It's also the appeal of many a noisy band.

It's quite depressing if you go to the start of this thread and see how exciting they were.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea

Postby Antero on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 pm

I am just crossing my fingers for Earl's new shit.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:57 pm

So, apparently there's a riot happening right now in Boulder outside the venue where Tyler the Creator was scheduled to give a free show later tonight:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/fr ... in-boulder
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Evin Relocation on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Nate Dort wrote:So, apparently there's a riot happening right now in Boulder outside the venue where Tyler the Creator was scheduled to give a free show later tonight:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/fr ... in-boulder

... what, did they cancel recess or some such?

I can stand Earl, who may be great one day. The rest of this is the very definition of "wow... no."
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap