Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
68%
NOT CRAP
32%

Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby BClark on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:48 pm

a friend of mine recently pointed out to me one of the funnier things i've seen on the internet... some random dude mistook frank ocean for billy ocean.
random guy on uproxx wrote:Why would Chris Brown pick a fight with a guy who brought us “Caribbean Queen”?

i don't know why, i just found that so amusing.
Evin Relocation wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:So, apparently there's a riot happening right now in Boulder outside the venue where Tyler the Creator was scheduled to give a free show later tonight:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/fr ... in-boulder

... what, did they cancel recess or some such?

I can stand Earl, who may be great one day. The rest of this is the very definition of "wow... no."

i think earl is great right now.

but aside from him and frank ocean, the odd future collective hasn't really gotten across to me. it seems a lot of their music is geared towards younger people who are impressed by those edgy horrorcore lyrics. that stuff tends to bore me though. they can flow just fine but the lyrics are childish to me.

then again, they are a pretty young group. kendrick lamar for instance is significantly older than them, and so it's to be expected that he'd be writing much more thoughtful stuff than OF.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Check out the video we just put out for the song Poison.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Antero on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 pm

So, Earl definitely didn't fall off.

Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby mazacultura on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:31 am

Everything about that is great.
mazacultura
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:54 am

Earl rules.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:41 am

That was brilliant.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby cuttheshitmike on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 am

New earl has not been disappointing in the least. The stuff he's released off the new album and his work on that Captain Murphy tape was pretty great. even his verse on Super Rich Kids grew on me.

90% of the OF musical output that isn't Frank or Earl: Crap

95% of Frank and Earl's music: So not crap. Channel Orange was just about the best album last year (mainstream/semi-mainstream at least)

Tyler: Crap producer, crap rapper, crap personality, but not crap at video directing.

OF non-musical aspects: not crap for youthful enthusiasm, not giving a shit, DIY attitude breaking into mainstream media and not compromising.

Overall not crap, waffles 5 for all the crap music and for them being absolute shitheads on a semi-regular basis.
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby zom-zom on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:19 am

I don't get why anyone would like this sort of shit. It's depressing, foul, stupid.

"Brilliant"? Really? Shitty, monotonous crap.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:10 pm

zom-zom wrote:I don't get why anyone would like this sort of shit. It's depressing, foul, stupid.

How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby BClark on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:00 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:
zom-zom wrote:I don't get why anyone would like this sort of shit. It's depressing, foul, stupid.

see the video for "chum" by earl sweatshirt. the flow and delivery and tone is great, the actual lyrics are sharp and very personal... and it's a cool video.

imo that's earl at his best -- if you're not feeling it i suppose there's nothing he can do for you.
Antero wrote:So, Earl definitely didn't fall off.

yes!
Last edited by BClark on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Check out the video we just put out for the song Poison.
BClark

Postby zom-zom on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Well yeah, that's what I was referring to.

It's just shit. Mumbly-mumbly about some crap, sad older white woman to make fun of, depressing, stupid garbage. Wallowing in it.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Boombats on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 pm

It's alright. Earl is very good at crypticisms.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby crustandcrumb on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:36 pm

earl's verses, the beat = NC, no waffles

everything else, including the video = C, no waffles
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Yeah, this is bad. If there's a part of your brain that relates to these lyrics or is somehow moved by the delivery, flow, tone, or production, that's a part of your brain to which I do not relate. Is it the narrative that people find interesting?
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Postby Isabelle Gall on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby readandburn on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Idiots.
readandburn
future member of the green party
future member of the green party

Postby frelnamp on Sun May 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Look at this url. Look long and hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sscI7JewZhU

frelnamp
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby BClark on Sun May 12, 2013 5:46 pm

uh.... what?? i can't believe they even let it air. must have been some high-order groupthink that prevented anyone at the ad agency (or at mountain dew) from speaking up and saying "hey, this is obviously an unfunny and offensive commercial and it's only going to bring us trouble."

in the course of producing this ad and preparing it for release, meetings were actually held in corporate offices where ad/marketing people as a group came to the conclusion that hey, this is a good commercial, and it's a good idea for us to air it. that just baffles me. i wish i could have witnessed those meetings as a fly on the wall.

tyler has responded to the criticism. i had been on the fence about his music, but now my opinion of his intellect is solidified:

tyler the creator wrote:It's just a goat. I just think a goat is funny. It's no deeper meaning. They said, 'Tyler, you can come up with any commercial that you want.' I said, 'You wanna know what's funny to me and my friends? An animal talking.' Why? Cause animals don't talk in real life, so let's make an animal talk. What's a funny animal? A fucking goat.

tyler the creator wrote:It's a young black man who got out of the 'hood and made something of himself, who's now working with big, white-owned corporations. Not even in front of the camera acting silly, but directing it. I'm trying to be one of the directors. But instead of looking at the positivity from that, he's trying to boycott Mountain Dew. Now that he's doing that, not only is it messing up opportunities for me, but also maybe opportunities for another young black male who maybe looks up to me and wants to do that in the future. It's ludicrous.

what a moron.
BClark

Postby RSMurphy on Mon May 13, 2013 7:41 am

BClark wrote:in the course of producing this ad and preparing it for release, meetings were actually held in corporate offices where ad/marketing people as a group came to the conclusion that hey, this is a good commercial, and it's a good idea for us to air it. that just baffles me.

I just came over from doing a quick scan of the Black Neighbor thread, and it is now plainly easy to understand why ad/marketing people would think that it was a good commercial.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Mon May 13, 2013 7:51 am

C/NC: The Young Turks
Twilight Sparkle
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Angus Jung on Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 pm

RSMurphy wrote:
BClark wrote:in the course of producing this ad and preparing it for release, meetings were actually held in corporate offices where ad/marketing people as a group came to the conclusion that hey, this is a good commercial, and it's a good idea for us to air it. that just baffles me.

I just came over from doing a quick scan of the Black Neighbor thread, and it is now plainly easy to understand why ad/marketing people would think that it was a good commercial.

Had anyone created a C/NC for this commercial, it's guaranteed that a bunch of forum members would say they loved it/thought it was funny/etc.
Angus Jung

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap