CRAP
68%
NOT CRAP
32%

Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby sulfur)addict on Mon May 13, 2013 1:42 pm

It's a fucking commercial.

Tyler, The Creator made an offensive Mountain Dew commercial.

He might be an idiot, he might be Warhol.

I'm not crazy about this song, but this video is Not Crap:
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Angus Jung on Mon May 13, 2013 1:54 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:Tyler, The Creator made an offensive Mountain Dew commercial.

I think these ad agencies have the entire scenario scripted/storyboarded out. They have apology statements pre-written and ready to go.

"We put the commercial out on this date, we get the reaction, we pull it off the air on this date, do we go with Apology A or B this time?"
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby andyman on Mon May 13, 2013 2:58 pm

I reckon they're stupider than that. They're older 40-something whitefolk trying to "appeal" to the "younger demographic".
"Let's hire an underground hero and go with it". Guys #2 & #3 bitch in the boardmeeting, but the dude/lady championing just repeats "this is new! it's guaranteed! he's SO hot online!".
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon May 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
RSMurphy wrote:
BClark wrote:in the course of producing this ad and preparing it for release, meetings were actually held in corporate offices where ad/marketing people as a group came to the conclusion that hey, this is a good commercial, and it's a good idea for us to air it. that just baffles me.

I just came over from doing a quick scan of the Black Neighbor thread, and it is now plainly easy to understand why ad/marketing people would think that it was a good commercial.

Had anyone created a C/NC for this commercial, it's guaranteed that a bunch of forum members would say they loved it/thought it was funny/etc.

From how bad I heard it was, I was a little underwhelmed by it. It wasn't funny or creative, or even "edgy", just stupid and offensive.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Marsupialized on Mon May 13, 2013 5:09 pm

It wasn't even offensive, just not funny or cool or well done at all. I honestly don;t even understand what is supposed to be funny about it, what parts. The goat? It's voice? It's not, at all.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby numberthirty on Mon May 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Marsupialized wrote:It wasn't even offensive, just not funny or cool or well done at all. I honestly don;t even understand what is supposed to be funny about it, what parts. The goat? It's voice? It's not, at all.

It almost seems like one of those bits where it is so unfunny it makes it back around to being funny. This bit just didn't have the juice.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby scntfc on Mon May 13, 2013 5:28 pm

andyman wrote:I reckon they're stupider than that. They're older 40-something whitefolk trying to "appeal" to the "younger demographic".
"Let's hire an underground hero and go with it". Guys #2 & #3 bitch in the boardmeeting, but the dude/lady championing just repeats "this is new! it's guaranteed! he's SO hot online!".

i've been privy to ad agency briefs for "urban youth oriented brands" (shoes, headphones, etc) and the lingo found inside would turn your stomach. clueless, offensive, and condescending, bordering on racist. "totally swag earpieces, in candy apple red and murdered out black make an impression when you hit da club" (says the 40-something suburban ad writer). shit like that. i am not at all surprised that this awful ad made it as far as it did and no one stopped it. i am also not at all surprised that an overrated rapper thought he could be a director and came up with something so terrible.
scntfc
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Boombats on Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:It's a fucking commercial.

Thanks for "breaking it down" for us old people.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby lemur68 on Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 pm

I see the video of the commercial is over 5 minutes long. Is that all commercial, or is it 30 seconds of commercial bookended by 4:30 of some lame vlogger?
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Postby moonman on Mon May 13, 2013 9:51 pm

lemur68 wrote:I see the video of the commercial is over 5 minutes long. Is that all commercial, or is it 30 seconds of commercial bookended by 4:30 of some lame vlogger?

The latter.
moonman
the cheat
the cheat

Postby numberthirty on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Bit from Ghostface Killah's 2nd annual softest rappers in the game list -

I think that he be wantin to prove that he aint actually that tender tho namsayin. So he tried to get some beef to pop off wit that Tyler the Creator nigga. Thats like bein at a new school n wantin to show the other kids that you aint no bitch nigga so you go stomp some kid from the special ed class.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby Isabelle Gall on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Heliotropic on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Young Turk Lady: You know what? it's not even that I'm offended (I'm not) it's just the aesthetics of the work--

Young Turk Guy: Totally, Totally. Look, I'm not offended by this at all--stupid stuff--but I mean those aesthetics--real bad stuff. Like what? I don't even--

Lady: I know! I mean, clearly, I've laughed at my share of racy humor--not a prude over here--but clearly this fails artistically. It just wasn't done right!

Guy: Totally. I guess I'm "not cool" enough or "too old" or "too fat and too old" to get it, but to me this was just plain offensive. No artistic aesthetic, just really vile sexism--

Lady: Oh totally--totally malicious sexism. I was disgusted. Like what? You have this poor woman in a neck brace--

Guy: I know, like what? That was some seriously mean spirited stuff right there. Woah--

Lady: And she's being menaced by a group of black kids--okay, I get it, whatever-- and a goat? Why a goat--

Guy: Totally! I mean a goat? I just--I just don't get it.
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Antero on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:Doris.

SO EXCITED
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:27 am

The lady took me to this great burger place, supposed to be one of the best in town (I guess? It was delicious). They had a bunch of pop art hanging on the wall, all "classic" movie scenes/characters... and one of Tyler the Creator. All done by the same guy.

Well, okay.
Twilight Sparkle
the white ho
the white ho

Postby lemur68 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Heliotropic wrote:Young Turk Lady: You know what? it's not even that I'm offended (I'm not) it's just the aesthetics of the work--

Young Turk Guy: Totally, Totally. Look, I'm not offended by this at all--stupid stuff--but I mean those aesthetics--real bad stuff. Like what? I don't even--

Lady: I know! I mean, clearly, I've laughed at my share of racy humor--not a prude over here--but clearly this fails artistically. It just wasn't done right!

Guy: Totally. I guess I'm "not cool" enough or "too old" or "too fat and too old" to get it, but to me this was just plain offensive. No artistic aesthetic, just really vile sexism--

Lady: Oh totally--totally malicious sexism. I was disgusted. Like what? You have this poor woman in a neck brace--

Guy: I know, like what? That was some seriously mean spirited stuff right there. Woah--

Lady: And she's being menaced by a group of black kids--okay, I get it, whatever-- and a goat? Why a goat--

Guy: Totally! I mean a goat? I just--I just don't get it.

If this is a fictitious The Young Turks exchange, you really nailed it.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Postby kerble on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Steve V. wrote:The only OF-related release I was even remotely interested in was Doris.

It's not good. It's got a few moments, but overall, seems lazy.

I thought the first song, "Pre" has one of the shittiest beats I've heard in years. Just dire.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby Rodabod on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:14 am

I thought that beat was ok. I think it's supposed to be pretty sparse, and the bass carries it.

That, and the second track are alright. The rest I'm not very interested in. Maybe I'm getting old, but there's too many N-words, and the violence/misogyny stuff just gets a bit boring when you do it non-stop.
Rodabod
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby BClark on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:42 pm

mixed feelings on doris. i think earl is still really good on this, but aside from "chum" the album doesn't show much variation from his earlier stuff. and only a few of the beats on the CD really did it for me.

also, for some reason it seems the vocals are mixed in a way that dulls his expressiveness. his flow and breath control seems better than ever but the recording and mix don't do much to bring out that expression.

can't say the album really put the hook in me, but no doubt he's still a pretty talented dude.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Antero on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:23 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=28JAS1ZUUqw[/youtube]

Syd is killing it.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

PreviousNext