home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Collective: Odd Future

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
153
68%
NOT CRAP
72
32%
 
Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Mama Clortho on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 am

Just noticed that the crap votes are at 16 and the not craps at 15 - yet no one has posted anything but glowing praise in this thread. I'd like to hear more from the detractors.
User avatar
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:21 am
Location: Hungry Head, Australia

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Cranius on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Rob G. introduced me to this, I like it pretty good:

Bring the Hi Hat In

Not Crap.
User avatar
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10334
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:29 am
Location: Bethnal Green, Tower Hamlets

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Shit, the last time I posted in here it was 0 Crap. Those Crap voters sure work fast.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:Just noticed that the crap votes are at 16 and the not craps at 15 - yet no one has posted anything but glowing praise in this thread. I'd like to hear more from the detractors.

There are folks on this board who think that rap isn't music. Wrinkly old folks, I imagine.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Boombats on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:The one thing that does bother me is a lot of the lyrical content. Not because I find it offensive, but because it's tired and cliche, but mostly because they're so much smarter than that.

What specifically brought you to the conclusion that they are smarter than what they are doing right now? Honest question, and I'm not trying to crap on them by asking it. I just think a lot of music fans tend to read into things a bit much when they become enamored of a performer.
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 19824
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby kerble on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Boombats wrote:
Mama Clortho wrote:The one thing that does bother me is a lot of the lyrical content. Not because I find it offensive, but because it's tired and cliche, but mostly because they're so much smarter than that.

What specifically brought you to the conclusion that they are smarter than what they are doing right now? Honest question, and I'm not trying to crap on them by asking it. I just think a lot of music fans tend to read into things a bit much when they become enamored of a performer.



I kinda like the bullshit violent lyrics. It balances out all the really rich, personal introspection. It works with the videos real well, too. reminds me of Gravediggaz and Insane Poetry and quite a bit of MF DOO))M. They're teenagers. they're all predisposed to weird thoughts.

I think they're smarter than the gutter talk because of the whole-package aesthetic. videos, audio, beats, rhymes, art, teamwork. Really inspiring for something so crass at times.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18761
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Boombats on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:10 pm

kerble wrote:
Boombats wrote:
Mama Clortho wrote:The one thing that does bother me is a lot of the lyrical content. Not because I find it offensive, but because it's tired and cliche, but mostly because they're so much smarter than that.

What specifically brought you to the conclusion that they are smarter than what they are doing right now? Honest question, and I'm not trying to crap on them by asking it. I just think a lot of music fans tend to read into things a bit much when they become enamored of a performer.



I kinda like the bullshit violent lyrics. It balances out all the really rich, personal introspection. It works with the videos real well, too. reminds me of Gravediggaz and Insane Poetry and quite a bit of MF DOO))M. They're teenagers. they're all predisposed to weird thoughts.

I think they're smarter than the gutter talk because of the whole-package aesthetic. videos, audio, beats, rhymes, art, teamwork. Really inspiring for something so crass at times.

Part of what I was insinuating is that smart people can talk dirty.
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 19824
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:08 pm

YONKERS has had 500,000 views in five days. Damn.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby kerble on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Antero wrote:YONKERS has had 500,000 views in five days. Damn.


I watched it five times, easily.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18761
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby noise&light on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 am

kerble wrote:
Antero wrote:YONKERS has had 500,000 views in five days. Damn.


I watched it five times, easily.


Same here.

Antero wrote:
Mama Clortho wrote:Just noticed that the crap votes are at 16 and the not craps at 15 - yet no one has posted anything but glowing praise in this thread. I'd like to hear more from the detractors.

There are folks on this board who think that rap isn't music. Wrinkly old folks, I imagine.


You are wrong. Please find another demographic to pointlessly insult, Junior.

Odd Future is going to be on Jimmy Fallon tonight. Wha?
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
User avatar
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8379
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:47 am
Location: chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Robert G on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 pm

Not part of the Odd Future crew, but has ties: Casey Veggies. Tyler the Creator makes guest appearances on that album he has on the splash page there.
User avatar
Robert G
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5852
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:46 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Robert G wrote:Not part of the Odd Future crew, but has ties: Casey Veggies. Tyler the Creator makes guest appearances on that album he has on the splash page there.


Another guy who falls into that category is Vince Staples.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Casey's stuff hasn't really captured my imagination. Staples is cool, though. He's like the OF Cappadonna.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Antero wrote:Casey's stuff hasn't really captured my imagination. Staples is cool, though. He's like the OF Cappadonna.


Another Wu comparison. I know OF hates the comparison, but they're going to keep getting it.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm

big_dave wrote:It's cuz white people have heard of them.


FYP
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 pm

big_dave wrote:There you go.

Fuuuuuuck. Epic stage dive at the minute mark.

My best friend got to see them in December. I am jealous.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 am

Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:11 am

One of the weirdest things to happen on late night comedy in a goddamn minute. I love how confused they were when Tyler ran up on the guests.

Also: hilarious censorship edits.

"WHO THE HECK INVITED MR. I-DON'T-GIVE-A-WHAT?"
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 am

Antero wrote:One of the weirdest things to happen on late night comedy in a goddamn minute. I love how confused they were when Tyler ran up on the guests.

Also: hilarious censorship edits.

"WHO THE HECK INVITED MR. I-DON'T-GIVE-A-WHAT?"


The only way it could have been better is if Earl had been there, but that's not happening any time soon. Unfortunately.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby goatlord on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 am



Gnomes, trombones, the exorcist girl and jumping on the back of the host?!?! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

What amaze me about this guys is that they make grown up music, this is not kid stuff, but they are, as big dave said, kids completely unfiltered. That talks volumes about how lame we get when we are adults...

Fuck, I'm watching this video again. Most punk people will pay to be as good as this guys.

EDIT: This interview.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
User avatar
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:12 am
Location: A shitty corner of spain.

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Auntie Ovipositor, mazacultura, uglysound, Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests