CRAP
68%
NOT CRAP
32%

Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue May 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Antero wrote:
AnthonyCinder wrote:Tons of people find this music fresh and interesting. Tons of people don't. But come on, it's not like this is some revolutionary music that is changing culture outside of the Pitchfork universe.

The Pitchfork universe, I think, has nothing to do with this. It's where we're seeing it, but the big impact OF is going to have is on teenagers - the crowds are young as fuck. One of my friends who teaches says he's got some students who doodle OFWGKTA on everything.

Hell, I wish I could have heard Goblin in high school. That would have been revelatory.

But even among the teenagers, it doesn't seem like it's some revolutionary, cultural shift in music. It's kind of similar to how kids liked the Misfits when I was in high school. They like the immediacy, the shocking imagery, and the adrenaline of it.

Again, tons of people are into it and that's cool. Revelatory? Definitely for some. But not revolutionary.

On another note, it's scary how teenagers throw around certain words like it's no big deal.
Last edited by AnthonyCinder on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Antero on Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Well dude! It's your job to call them on that shit, nah?

I grew up right next to the stretch of Fairfax that they call home. I mean, two or three blocks from it. When I realized where they were... *head pop*
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue May 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Antero wrote:Well dude! It's your job to call them on that shit, nah?

I grew up right next to the stretch of Fairfax that they call home. I mean, two or three blocks from it. When I realized where they were... *head pop*

It is my job, but I would feel obligated to do it regardless.
Last edited by AnthonyCinder on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Postby Ptommydski on Tue May 17, 2011 11:58 pm

eephour wrote:Can we get back to talking about there finally being some rap music that has whitey uncomfortable?

I think thanks to Pitchfork and the internet in general (all television and print journalists hang around on the net now) that most of the Odd Future audience is white people. I've seen several photos of shows where every person in the audience is white.

They are definitely into Stuff White People Like territory.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby tocharian on Tue May 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Odd Future's music best approximates how reading Waxidermy makes me feel. So tired of these fucking assholes and their long lost folkie psychrock genius internet hoaxes. When is that shit gonna stop?
tocharian

Postby Antero on Wed May 18, 2011 12:06 am

Ptommydski wrote:
eephour wrote:Can we get back to talking about there finally being some rap music that has whitey uncomfortable?

I think thanks to Pitchfork and the internet in general (all television and print journalists hang around on the net now) that most of the Odd Future audience is white people. I've seen several photos of shows where every person in the audience is white.

They are definitely into Stuff White People Like territory.

"Whitey" is not "white people." Kids are not Whitey, even if they're white.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Ptommydski on Wed May 18, 2011 12:19 am

Dictionary.com wrote:1. A contemptuous term used by black people to refer to a white person.

2. White people collectively.

??
Ptommydski

Postby Antero on Wed May 18, 2011 2:07 am

The contours of the collective noun are more subtle than the second entry would allow.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby RSMurphy on Wed May 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Antero wrote:I think that "faggot" is going to decline in significance at roughly the same pace that homosexuality loses its stigma.

Really? When do you suppose this up-with-people moment is going to happen?

R.I.P. David Kato - January 2011

R.I.P. Tyler Clementi 2010

Teens lure gay men into abandon building; tortures, sodomizes, murders 2010

LGBT Resource Center in California defaced 2010

Three Chicago men charged with battery after attack on the Red Line 2010

8 horses burned to death at a barn in Ohio. The owner of the barn is gay "FAGS ARE FREAKS" was spray-painted on one of the gates 2011

I could go on, but time is short.

I've spoken my bit earlier in this thread, and I'm not too shocked that it's still going given the ridiculous amount of hype this collective is receiving. I am not as informed as the lot of you on OFWGKTA or hip hop in general, but I know what I like, and I know what sounds good. I also know when I'm being fed a crapload of bullshit defense in regard to their random usage of the insult "faggot." You like them? Fine. However, this falling all over oneself to defend these kids against using an insult that is still very much in vogue to hurt and humiliate the LGBTQ community would be laughable if not so sad and pathetic. I'm not even going to get into the amount of homophobia that runs rampant within the black community, but as priviliged, straight, white, collegiate dudes who are more than enamored with these trailblazers you aren't expected to be aware of this.

I'm refusing to vote. Can't remember if I voted before and can't be assed to go back and look. In some ways I'm glad these kids are doing what they're doing...somewhat. As a kid who used to carry around The Satanic Bible in a high school run by Carmelite priests, nothing gets my dick harder than seeing a well-placed upside-down cross (or other dicks for that matter). I dig their aesthetic. I get it. I've been there. Never felt the need to propagate hate, though. On that they get a resounding crap.
RSMurphy
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Ernest on Wed May 18, 2011 4:28 pm

It's evident in songs like Yonkers that what passes for production just really isn't that good. Sure, it's no pussy Lil Wayne beat with the mangled snare, but it's like someone paid a bunch of kids to rap over Salem outtakes. I'll be damned if people don't do their best to approximate novelty in rap.

The biggest gripe I have with Odd Future, Tyler, and Earl etc. is that their rhymes are just cheesy. Tyler referencing Ellen DeGeneres' clit, for example. How goddamn dumb does it have to get before someone pulls another Tone Loc with an updated "Funky Cold Medina" with added reference to some "faggots" or pill popping?

Take a bunch of ignorant kids, and this is what you get. Beats slowed down in Audacity, and where lack of flow is now considered cool, replacing the lack of rapping as the latest thing.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Isabelle Gall on Wed May 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Ernest wrote:it's like someone paid a bunch of kids to rap over Salem outtakes.

Okay everybody you can all shut the fuck up now alright, Ernest has got this all figured out. It's like someone paid a bunch of kids to rap over Salem outtakes, okay? That's all it is. Kids...sounds like Salem. Everybody go home. That's right sir nothing to see, even you that's right...fuck along please. I want my chocolate.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby deep.BTUz on Wed May 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Nope, that was Lil B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SUWKsaiGrg
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Isabelle Gall on Wed May 18, 2011 5:51 pm

You, fuck.NTUz, you heard what I said...let's be having you. I've already got the angry American voice going on here, don't make me go Rambo.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Ernest on Wed May 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:

Okay everybody you can all shut the fuck up now alright, Ernest has got this all figured out. It's like someone paid a bunch of kids to rap over Salem outtakes, okay? That's all it is. Kids...sounds like Salem. Everybody go home. That's right sir nothing to see, even you that's right...fuck along please. I want my chocolate.

:smt006
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby tipcat on Wed May 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Last edited by tipcat on Tue May 16, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby kerble on Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 pm

kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Antero on Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 pm

RSMurphy wrote:
Antero wrote:I think that "faggot" is going to decline in significance at roughly the same pace that homosexuality loses its stigma.

Really? When do you suppose this up-with-people moment is going to happen?

Remember that, despite the continued existence of the abomination of anti-gay violence, we have also hit the point where more than half of the country is okay with gay marriage, and the stats get better the younger the demographic is. Things are getting better.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Ernest on Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 pm

GLAAD is the gay-human version of PETA, right? These acronyms are so hard to remember.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby kerble on Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Ernest wrote:

GLAAD is the gay-human version of PETA, right? These acronyms are so hard to remember.

I think one of them is against women eating chicks, and one of them is for it.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Antero on Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Didn't they see OF onstage with Lil B during his announcement of I'm Gay?

kerble wrote:
Ernest wrote:

I think one of them is against women eating chicks, and one of them is for it.

High five.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap