Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
68%
NOT CRAP
32%

Total votes : 219

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Dovey on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:19 pm

digital lofi wrote:They're managed by a former VP of marketing at fuckin' Interscope. They may have roots and the aesthetic of DIY internet & skate culture but come on, they're about as 'indie' or 'punk' as Green Day. Or soon to be.

This might seem like a minor point, but anybody who attempts to judge rappers by punk's moral code is gonna find themselves extremely frustrated, extremely fast. They're not even operating in the same dimension.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby J. Burns on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:18 pm

New Mellowhype vid.

I like this more than anything on "Goblin."
Titus Andronibro wrote:"unless they change their infrastructure, they're not ready for a punk show."

POLICE TEETH.
SEMINARS.
J. Burns
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:14 pm

J. Burns wrote:New Mellowhype vid.

I like this more than anything on "Goblin."

Yesterday Antero wrote:Speaking of Mellowhype...

Damn, son.

However, I think we can all agree it's good stuff.
yeah? well, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip.
fuck most things.
a leg plaster
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Robert G on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:56 pm

Robert G
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Antero on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 am

If you're not obsessively following these guys, Tyler, The Creator broke his foot in multiple places about 30 seconds into a set, immediately stage-dived, disappeared briefly for bandaging, and proceeded to perform a whole show alternately hopping and thrashing frantically on one foot or sitting in the middle of the stage.

Swag.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby crustandcrumb on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Antero wrote:Swag.

Alternately: Reckless. Stupid.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby sulfur)addict on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:07 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:
Antero wrote:Swag.

Alternately: Reckless. Stupid.

Jesus, go listen to Journey or some other tame shit.

but but, he could've done serious damage to his foot! burbaburgleboo!

I hear Kings of Leon left a concert 'cuz a bird shit on the bass player. They sound like your kind of band!
Kerouacian as fuck.
sulfur)addict
cool kid
cool kid

Postby crustandcrumb on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:17 pm

oops.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:56 am

Wow. Yeah, huh?

Sounds bad to me. Like bad music.

Maybe so dumb and lowest-common-denominator that it comes out the other side and sounds innovative to some people. It is the 2nd thing I've heard in recent months that may be having this effect (tUnE-yArDs being the other).

I think the rapping is bad--technically bad. Poorly done and uninteresting sonically. The lyrics are dumb. I don't care about the bad words and stuff about killing and women and gay people and killing both women and gay people.

The beats are dumb.

The music is just nothing. Mindless noodling. It doesn't sound aggressive to me in the slightest.

Yonkers, bad. The Jimmy Fallon thing, bad. I listened to that Mellowgroove thing. Bad.

The dudes seem a little unhinged, but so what. They're about as unhinged as Slipknot or Gwar or Salem or something. No patch on a lot of other stuff.

Utterly unmoved. Let me know if you're still paying attention in ten years. Maybe I'm missing something.

Crap.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:50 am

tmidgett wrote:Wow. Yeah, huh?

Sounds bad to me. Like bad music.

Maybe so dumb and lowest-common-denominator that it comes out the other side and sounds innovative to some people. It is the 2nd thing I've heard in recent months that may be having this effect (tUnE-yArDs being the other).

I think the rapping is bad--technically bad. Poorly done and uninteresting sonically. The lyrics are dumb. I don't care about the bad words and stuff about killing and women and gay people and killing both women and gay people.

The beats are dumb.

The music is just nothing. Mindless noodling. It doesn't sound aggressive to me in the slightest.

Yonkers, bad. The Jimmy Fallon thing, bad. I listened to that Mellowgroove thing. Bad.

The dudes seem a little unhinged, but so what. They're about as unhinged as Slipknot or Gwar or Salem or something. No patch on a lot of other stuff.

Utterly unmoved. Let me know if you're still paying attention in ten years. Maybe I'm missing something.

Crap.

Once again, Tim is right.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

http://www.cinderconemusic.com
AnthonyCinder
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Antero on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:52 am

I'm sad Tim didn't get it.
Antero
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Mason on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 am

No, you guys, you don't get it. We're wasting our time listening to this shit.

There's a black president in the White House now.

Don't you see?
jurgis rudkus wrote:My life is easy, and my shit stays clean.

steve wrote:A chooch talks about his tone like a sentient being.

theseestates.ca
plywoodcanada.bandcamp.com
Mason
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Antero wrote:I'm sad Tim didn't get it.

It's not that he didn't get it--this isn't deep, multi-layered music with different levels of meaning. In fact, I think it's the exact kind of music where it's pretty clear whether or not you think it's good or not. Definitely not one of the ones where repeated listens open up new interpretations, even though I admittedly have it multiple chances simply because so many people were going apeshit. But yeah . . . no.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

http://www.cinderconemusic.com
AnthonyCinder

Postby steve on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:46 pm

I haven't mentioned this until now because I expected this shit to collapse into its own emptiness the way Salem and Vanilla Ice did before them, but whatever. I spent about 40 minutes with these little pricks at the end of May and I haven't wanted to strangle anybody that much in a real long time.

Their music is nothing, but sooner or later these little scrubs are going to get their asses kicked, and I suspect all their bullshit will calm down significantly after that happens.

Unhinged? Nah. Pedestrian eighth-grade shock nonsense fit only to upset grannies. Crazier shit is said at playgrounds every day.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve

Postby scntfc on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:04 pm

i stand by my not crap vote despite the fact that the earl solo record was the high water mark.

as far as contemporary hip hop is concerned though, death grips makes anything odd future related seem amateur by comparison.
scntfc

Postby crustandcrumb on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:48 pm

scntfc wrote:death grips

LOL
crustandcrumb

Postby scntfc on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:
scntfc wrote:death grips

LOL

you should submit it as fan art>>>>>>>>>
scntfc

Postby matthewbarnhart on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:26 pm

steve wrote:I haven't mentioned this until now because I expected this shit to collapse into its own emptiness the way Salem and Vanilla Ice did before them, but whatever. I spent about 40 minutes with these little pricks at the end of May and I haven't wanted to strangle anybody that much in a real long time.

They're playing the same stage as Superchunk, just before us. Sowley and I can send them a message from you if you like.
Tre Orsi "Devices + Emblems" LP/DA out now on Comedy Minus One
Other stuff: The Echo Lab recording studio | blahg
matthewbarnhart
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:31 pm

scntfc wrote:as far as contemporary hip hop is concerned though, death grips makes anything odd future related seem amateur by comparison.

I don't mind that. Guy has a cool voice and can rap. I like the music on a few of the other tracks I heard better. That song Guillotine is actually kind of disorienting.
tmidgett

Postby Antero on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:It's not that he didn't get it--this isn't deep, multi-layered music with different levels of meaning. In fact, I think it's the exact kind of music where it's pretty clear whether or not you think it's good or not. Definitely not one of the ones where repeated listens open up new interpretations, even though I admittedly have it multiple chances simply because so many people were going apeshit. But yeah . . . no.

Well, yes and no. The thing about Tyler's music is that it has a very strong in-group/out-group dynamic that poses an immediate barrier to engagement, because he's constantly rejecting anything that isn't inside that. It's not simply a matter of the lyrics - that contributes, sure, but anyone who knows anything about rap should not be shocked, given that NWA's "One Less Bitch" dwarfs any shock value lyric Tyler has even vaguely thought of. It's something embedded in his basic posture, and the mercurial way he lashes out.

Lil B does something similar, really, but much friendlier: he's playing a game, and you can play with him or not. If you don't, of course, "Ellen Degeneres" is completely incomprehensible.

So, everybody pretty much knows whether they will like Tyler's music as soon as they hear it, depending on whether or not they're able/willing to get around the initial hazing and into the little gang of his musical world (it probably helps to be an alienated teenager). This is certainly the sort of range of reactions I've seen in the people I've played it for, and in the responses of critics.

The preceding leaves out the rest of OF because, really, they don't do that. Earl Sweatshirt is a lot easier to get - he's just blacking out on some mind-bending technical shit, and Earl/Tyler tracks aren't as anti-listener (because... they're playing a game! cf. Lil B). Domo's Rolling Papers is a different animal altogether. It's just a really good, interesting-sounding rap album about (mostly) weed.
Antero
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap