CRAP
68%
NOT CRAP
32%

Total votes : 219

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby lemur68 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:07 am

AnthonyCinder wrote:

Kind of annoying that someone had to take Steve's post and go post it elsewhere. I know Steve probably doesn't give a shit, but it feels like there's lurkers on the board with questionable designs.

A well-known music figure posts to a public forum and it gets repeated elsewhere on the internet? I am shocked, shocked.

It would explain the 75 guests earlier this evening.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Evin Relocation on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:04 am

Tree wrote:
Superking wrote:I used to do a lot of dumb shit

Oh, you want Ice Cube for that one.

This was particularly well-played.
Evin Relocation
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby ieshido on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:44 am

"...and I haven't wanted to strangle anybody that much in a real long time."

I'd like to know who the last person you wanted to strangle so badly was.

Also, is strangling your default mode of attack, or a response to specific stimuli?
ieshido

Postby Boombats on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:35 am

A lot of rap stands as as testament that white males are still so repressed and insecure that they have to elect token black males to express anger, sexuality and violence for them. Odd Future seems to serve this purpose for the faction of white males that are too cool to listen shit like Gucci Mane, but it's the same role.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby gmilner on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:03 am

Yes, what Kerble said. What music I've heard doesn't really do anything for me, but the way they've built this whole media environment is pretty fascinating.

I'm new to this thread, and I haven't combed through the whole thing, but if it hasn't come up already I want to say that Kelefa Sanneh's New Yorker article about Odd Future ("Where's Earl?") is one of the best pieces of music journalism I've read in a long time. I don't know enough about the music to know if he's overrating it--but he did a great job of putting the collective in context, and stretching the context wider than you think. It's not online, unfortunately, but seek it out if you can. It's in the May 23rd issue.
gmilner
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:12 am

Boombats wrote:A lot of rap stands as as testament that white males are still so repressed and insecure that they have to elect token black males to express anger, sexuality and violence for them. Odd Future seems to serve this purpose for the faction of white males that are too cool to listen shit like Gucci Mane, but it's the same role.

Interesting take on things which is bolstered more by the racial makeup of their fanbase. I don't know Gucci Mane from Wacka Flocka Flame, so what the hell do I know anyway? Alls I do know is that I would have gotten douchechills if were on that bus with Steve, having to apologize for the behavior of my peoples.

RSMurphy
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 am

...wait...
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:40 am

RSMurphy wrote:Image

I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby RBoyer on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:49 am

Sigue Sigue Sputnik.
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby DrAwkward on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:22 pm

kerble wrote:The thing that fascinates me about Odd Future isn't really the shock-value or the beats, or the lyrics (which I enjoy, but am not compelled to revisit after the initial perusal), is how these kids have taken the rein on the production end of things. I don't mean 'production' in the cheesy audio recording definition we've grown to be wary of.

I'm far more impressed at the 'roll your own' ethos that goes throughout their art. I really like that they make their own beats and videos. they do their own album art, build their own websites, mix their own records, and have an insane adeptness with social media stuff and other DIY components. they're shrewd and manipulative, and it represented a signifier of a paradigm shift for young rappers.

I would agree with this, by and large, and it's probably the reason i keep trying to find a way into their music that i'll enjoy. Granted, i've only really listened to Goblin so far, and overall i found it fairly underwhelming and not able to live up to the hype. The pitch shifted therapist who keeps breaking in to the songs is *really* stupid, and pulls me out of the experience of the album every time.

With re: to the whole "faggot" thing, i'm reminded of Boris the Sprinkler albums in the 90s and Rev. Norb's Maximumrocknroll columns. He often used the word "fag" and repeatedly disclaimed that he meant the word in the context of a schoolyard insult with no sexual orientation attached (i can see where he's coming from on that tip--when i was in grade school in the 80s the "i pledge allegiance to the flag/Michael Jackson is a fag" rhyme was really popular at my school, but i had no idea what a gay person was [hell, i didn't even know how sex worked until i was 10]; i just assumed a "fag" was a term for a weird, strange, eccentric person). All that being said, when i go back and listen to some of Norb's lyrics now, they are super clever and hold up well, but the "fag" references haven't aged well, at all. It sounds to me now like a dude who's pissed that he can't use a word he's used his whole life in a different context, trying to do some intellectual gymnastics to justify it so he doesn't have to modify his own speech. Decide for yourself whether or not that's a noble goal, i guess, and you can probably arrive at your stance on OF's use of the word, if i understand their rationale for it.

But bottom line, the music's not doing it for me yet, so whatever. Sorry that i don't understand rap, Antero.
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby tallchris on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:09 pm

John W. wrote:I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by Axl and Slash.

Band: http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com
tallchris
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby flytox on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:16 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:

Kind of annoying that someone had to take Steve's post and go post it elsewhere. I know Steve probably doesn't give a shit, but it feels like there's lurkers on the board with questionable designs.

These lurkers are not half as annoying as what´s to come. German super hipster asshole magazine INTRO just published an online article about Steve´s encounter including a link to this thread. Lots of Portugal.The Man fans going to sign in now.
flytox
franklin ajaye
franklin ajaye

Postby deep.BTUz on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Ice up, son
deep.BTUz
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Mason on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:07 pm

"Most users ever online was 530 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:03 am"
jurgis rudkus wrote:My life is easy, and my shit stays clean.

These Estates; Plywood
Mason
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:12 pm

I was wondering why there have been so many guests signed on. This means I'll have to listen to Odd Future now. Pretty late on the hype, I am. I must be getting old. Get off my lawn.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

Stickles wrote:It celebrates the genius of the Northern military strategy and I'm sure that in addition to that they were perfectly nice guys.
jimmy two hands
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Favorite BrooklynVegan comment: do you really think they were saying 'nigger' instead of 'nigga' ?? - big difference there. especially when retold by a white guy.

RSMurphy

Postby steve on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Randall,*

I dislike the word. I don't like hearing it and I don't like writing it. It isn't my word in any respect, so it's unusual and uncomfortable for me, like another language, and I try not to use it. I only used it in this context because anything else would have been lying about it. I know how loaded it is, and how easy it makes dismissing the content, which is one reason it took me a couple of weeks to reply to being asked about it.

I said as much in the Huck Finn thread.

steve wrote:We need to let the generation who heard and used that word in anger hear it go fallow in polite society before they die. That's all.

I didn't always think this way, but I grew up.

*I would have addressed you as Smoke, which is an awesome nickname I hope everybody adopts for you, but I don't yet know your feelings about it.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve

Postby Antero on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:17 pm

DrAwkward wrote:I would agree with this, by and large, and it's probably the reason i keep trying to find a way into their music that i'll enjoy. Granted, i've only really listened to Goblin so far, and overall i found it fairly underwhelming and not able to live up to the hype.

You should try Rolling Papers. While I like Goblin a lot, it's intentionally hostile to the listener. Rolling Papers is mostly just Domo rapping about weed, with Tyler and Left Brain's best production.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:35 pm

steve wrote:(a bunch of stuff that didn't need to be written)

Common Internet-miscommunication, Steve. I was referring to "Anonymous," the BrooklynVegan reader who left the nigger/nigga-comment. Anonymous' point was that you misunderstood Odd Future's pleasantries by virtue of being white; as if no one has the right to be put-off by a truncated, user-friendly, declawed version of "nigger."

No harm done.

Best,
Smoke

P.S. Hey, bloggers, check out the provocative band in my signature. They flirt with Third Reich symbolism and are fierce advocates of puffin-rape. The drummer has dope beats.
RSMurphy

Postby Antero on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:
Antero wrote:A number of artists including Odd Future, Waka Flocka, and particularly Lil B are doing work that changes the way people think about what it is to rap, the act of rapping, the power of DIY, the sound of a hip-hop song.

Not trying to be a dick, but can you explain to me how those acts are (a) changing the way people think about what it is to rap, (b) changing the way people think about the act of rapping, or (c) the sound of a hip-hop song? I don't hear anything in their music that demands that sort of reappraisal of the medium. Maybe it's slightly eccentric hip-hop, but it's still very much recognizable as hip-hop to these ears.

Well, Lil B is an obvious one - he's engaged in a very intentional experimental project that has been pushing the edges of rap in all directions. He made thousands of songs, ranging from carefully written and extremely traditional "conscious" rap to completely automatic speech over ambient loops, to croaking anti-skilled rants over fractured lo-fi beats where he does shit like repeat "Ellen Degeneres" over and over. He kind of took apart what the act of rapping involves and put it back together again in weird combinations. The number of different ways Lil B has fucked with the genre would be a very, very long list, and my battery is dying.

Waka Flocka completely trashed the concept of lyricism and replaced it with a howl of anger and pain. I mean, the man has songs where his verses are mixed lower than the other track of him screaming in the background. He gets on beats that would (and regularly do) dwarf most rappers and tears through them. He's a completely different model of what it means to be a good rapper - he embodies none of the traditional values of the MC, but he's undeniably powerful.

Aight, my battery is soooo dead
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap