Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
68%
NOT CRAP
32%

Total votes : 223

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:35 pm

steve wrote:(a bunch of stuff that didn't need to be written)

Common Internet-miscommunication, Steve. I was referring to "Anonymous," the BrooklynVegan reader who left the nigger/nigga-comment. Anonymous' point was that you misunderstood Odd Future's pleasantries by virtue of being white; as if no one has the right to be put-off by a truncated, user-friendly, declawed version of "nigger."

No harm done.

Best,
Smoke

P.S. Hey, bloggers, check out the provocative band in my signature. They flirt with Third Reich symbolism and are fierce advocates of puffin-rape. The drummer has dope beats.
RSMurphy
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Antero on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:
Antero wrote:A number of artists including Odd Future, Waka Flocka, and particularly Lil B are doing work that changes the way people think about what it is to rap, the act of rapping, the power of DIY, the sound of a hip-hop song.

Not trying to be a dick, but can you explain to me how those acts are (a) changing the way people think about what it is to rap, (b) changing the way people think about the act of rapping, or (c) the sound of a hip-hop song? I don't hear anything in their music that demands that sort of reappraisal of the medium. Maybe it's slightly eccentric hip-hop, but it's still very much recognizable as hip-hop to these ears.

Well, Lil B is an obvious one - he's engaged in a very intentional experimental project that has been pushing the edges of rap in all directions. He made thousands of songs, ranging from carefully written and extremely traditional "conscious" rap to completely automatic speech over ambient loops, to croaking anti-skilled rants over fractured lo-fi beats where he does shit like repeat "Ellen Degeneres" over and over. He kind of took apart what the act of rapping involves and put it back together again in weird combinations. The number of different ways Lil B has fucked with the genre would be a very, very long list, and my battery is dying.

Waka Flocka completely trashed the concept of lyricism and replaced it with a howl of anger and pain. I mean, the man has songs where his verses are mixed lower than the other track of him screaming in the background. He gets on beats that would (and regularly do) dwarf most rappers and tears through them. He's a completely different model of what it means to be a good rapper - he embodies none of the traditional values of the MC, but he's undeniably powerful.

Aight, my battery is soooo dead
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Antero wrote:Well, Lil B is an obvious one - he's engaged in a very intentional experimental project that has been pushing the edges of rap in all directions. He made thousands of songs, ranging from carefully written and extremely traditional "conscious" rap to completely automatic speech over ambient loops, to croaking anti-skilled rants over fractured lo-fi beats where he does shit like repeat "Ellen Degeneres" over and over. He kind of took apart what the act of rapping involves and put it back together again in weird combinations. The number of different ways Lil B has fucked with the genre would be a very, very long list, and my battery is dying.

Waka Flocka completely trashed the concept of lyricism and replaced it with a howl of anger and pain. I mean, the man has songs where his verses are mixed lower than the other track of him screaming in the background. He gets on beats that would (and regularly do) dwarf most rappers and tears through them. He's a completely different model of what it means to be a good rapper - he embodies none of the traditional values of the MC, but he's undeniably powerful.

Sounds like glossolalia. Diamanda Galas, Elizabeth Fraser, even Ella Fitzgerald or Scatman Crothers can be said to push the boundaries of speech and vocal delivery. Its not new, but as it's applied to hip hop I can see how it can be refreshing in that context.
RSMurphy

Postby Antero on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:11 pm

RSMurphy wrote:Sounds like glossolalia. Diamanda Galas, Elizabeth Fraser, even Ella Fitzgerald or Scatman Crothers can be said to push the boundaries of speech and vocal delivery. Its not new, but as it's applied to hip hop I can see how it can be refreshing in that context.

Closest to automatic poetry, really. It's definitely not new in the grand scheme of things, but really very little is and the context is terribly significant. Doing such things in a hip-hop setting also starts to draw a distinction between the genre and the act of rapping which, it must be said, is no longer strictly the province of rap-the-genre.

Lil B is also the most vocal opponent of homophobia in rap, and has a history of aggressively fucking with the genre's machismo by bragging about being a "princess" and a "pretty bitch".

When, one day, an openly gay rapper gets mainstream prominence, they will talk about Lil B and Syd from Odd Future.
Antero
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Man, reading through these comment sections is absolutely hilarious.

From someone mentioning P.M. Dawn (could there be a bigger foil to Odd Future?), all of the cooking shots at Steve, the very mentioning of ICP (someone clearly doesn't get it), all friggin' great.

Still patiently awaiting Mellowhype's new record, still patiently awaiting the return of Earl, still convinced Odd Future is one of the best things going around today.
Kerouacian as fuck.
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby P.J. Craven on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Why does the media thrive primarily on controversy and conflict? I mean, it's an interesting read (the Odd Future bus ride), but Mr. Albini does says and does all sorts of other interesting stuff.

When Steve spoke at DePaul last year, he talked about an entire shipment of adobe bricks from New Mexico intended for use in his home studio completely reduced to useless rubble and/or dust upon arrival. There's gotta be some YouTube clip of that somewhere out there. If I'm a journalist (which I'm not), that's a fascinating, enlightening story about how a person of some note began his career. But it would seem that because it doesn't involve Albini saying something controversial, it doesn't get picked up.

Jon Stewart, as he so often does, put it best: "The bias of the mainstream media is towards sensationalism, conflict, and laziness." When this place gets picked up in the media (from blogs on up the food chain), whether it's Steve or someone else, it's almost always a conflict story, whether it's manufactured or it isn't.

-Deacon from Animal Collective's Mali trip Kickstarter fundraiser vs. us
-Heather vs. Jessica Hopper
-James Burns vs. Weezer
-Steve vs. Sonic Youth
-Steve vs. Odd Future

...and so forth. Other kinds of "stories" from here are occasionally published as news or go viral, but if it involves a strong difference of opinion between disparate media/Internet entities, it automatically seems to generate attention. It's no wonder the Odd Future snowball keeps rolling--they keep making people angry.

I think I must be whining about the sun rising in the east, but I find this lazy journalistic habit tiresome.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Ptommydski on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Really, people are taking offence at the language? He's virtually quoting. I don't understand.

With hindsight, it is a very good thing that the second Big Black EP didn't run with its working title.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby MrMattDiehl on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Steve, I do vaguely remember you answering the phone at the Northwestern college radio station with "Fuck you!" and hanging up when you were around the age of the Odd Future gents... That memory made me laugh in light of this discussion.
MrMattDiehl
red hodges
red hodges

Postby Trey on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 pm

MrMattDiehl wrote:Steve, I do vaguely remember you answering the phone at the Northwestern college radio station with "Fuck you!" and hanging up when you were around the age of the Odd Future gents... That memory made me laugh in light of this discussion.

Yeah, sounds almost exactly like them on that shuttle bus.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Ptommydski on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:18 pm

MrMattDiehl wrote:Steve, I do vaguely remember you answering the phone at the Northwestern college radio station with "Fuck you!" and hanging up when you were around the age of the Odd Future gents... That memory made me laugh in light of this discussion.

The only part I disagreed with regarding Steve's post was that this one incident means they are always assholes. I am sure I was occasionally disruptive or rude in public as a kid but I don't think those instances necessarily represent me forever. This story you tell here makes me laugh but sure, I guess it is rude on paper.

Even as a kid the tour diary of the last Big Black diary made me wince about four or five times a paragraph but I understood that this was a young man who was in a nihilistic punk rock band writing about a series of stressful and emotional scenarios. It's an amusing and visceral piece of creative writing, even though I fully believe that a lot of the people mentioned might have come away with the notion that Big Black were assholes.

All the anecdote about the shuttle ride tells me is that the Odd Future kids were assholes in public once. Maybe this just means that they are occasionally assholes, like the majority of human beings.
Ptommydski

Postby P.J. Craven on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Ptommy wrote:Maybe this just means that they are occasionally assholes, like the majority of human beings.

They're also children. Like, 20 years old and under for the most part, right? The oldest is like, what, 23?

I have no opinion on Odd Future's music. I saw them live, and it was an interesting circus of action/reaction, call and response. But there's only a few hip-hop groups I listen to, and most of them are superold now.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven

Postby Antero on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Ptommydski wrote:Even as a kid the tour diary of the last Big Black diary made me wince about four or five times a paragraph but I understood that this was a young man who was in a nihilistic punk rock band writing about a series of stressful and emotional scenarios. It's an amusing and visceral piece of creative writing, even though I fully believe that a lot of the people mentioned might have come away with the notion that Big Black were assholes.

Yeah, actually, imagine what it would have been like if they'd had Twitter back then.
Antero
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Ben Abraham on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Rap music is stupid music made by stupid people for stupid people to listen to.
I do not find it hard to believe they were stupid.

Maybe the rap music you've heard is stupid. Early L.L. Cool J, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Nas, Dalek, Beastie Boys and The Wu-Tang Clan are just as compelling as any Fugazi record. You might not appreciate it, but rap as creative artform is not stupid.

That statement is about as informed as lumping indie music with Vampire Weekend or lumping rock music with Limp Bizkit or punk rock with Good Charlotte.

Odd Future from what Steve says about them sound like assholes...they suck. Fuck em.
Ben Abraham

Postby choppy on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:29 am

God, the comments in there are just fucktardedly hilarious. I am consistently amused when people cannot understand that Steve Albini is a person with an opinion that was asked for, not a holy taste arbiter, proclaiming from on high. Sorry we treat you like someone we know, Steve.
Get friends, keep friends, be a friend, always.
choppy
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:57 am

bulletbennyc wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:Rap music is stupid music made by stupid people for stupid people to listen to.
I do not find it hard to believe they were stupid.

Maybe the rap music you've heard is stupid. Early L.L. Cool J, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Nas, Dalek, Beastie Boys and The Wu-Tang Clan are just as compelling as any Fugazi record. You might not appreciate it, but rap as creative artform is not stupid.

That statement is about as informed as lumping indie music with Vampire Weekend or lumping rock music with Limp Bizkit or punk rock with Good Charlotte.

Odd Future from what Steve says about them sound like assholes...they suck. Fuck em.

I have heard tons and tons of rap music and known all kinds of people who loved it more than anything and played it and talked about it endlessly. I have heard hours and hours and hours of it at jobs, parties, driving in cars, doing radio shows, playing in clubs, in studios, live on stage and every other way you can imagine. Since I was a small child when it was new till this very day, spent all day listening to the rap station at work.
After all this, I have come to the conclusion that it is pretty much fucking stupid music made by fucking stupid people for other stupid fucking people to listen to.
Yes, there are a handful of hip hop albums I enjoy and listen to from time to time but even those, there will be literally 40 or 50 different times I cringe at something being said because it's either so fucking ridiculously drooling half a brain stupid or flat out hideous and unpleasant. I cannot think of even one hip hop album that does not have repeated moments of absolute retard stupidity interspliced with anything decent on it.
I have had people play me tons of shit that was supposed to be the 'intelligent' or 'indie' hip hop and guess what? It's almost always some idiot rapping about how awesome he is, almost universally. I am so awesome because blah blah blah and I am super cool and awesome because yadda yadda yadda. YAWN. Give me a fucking break.
The music, the beats are absolutely simple to make, I can whip you up a whole shitload of hip hop tracks in about an hour that will be absolutely on par with anything else out there. There is absolutely nothing to sampling and slicing up samples and putting it to a beat, it's literally three buttons. Click click click, no matter what anyone wants to pretend, it's nowhere even remotely near something that it takes any talent whatsoever, besides maybe finding obscure samples to use and learning to use the actual sampler. Most don't even use obscure samples, they use shit straight off ready made sample discs that I have sitting right here or recycle shit that's been done a billion times before and usually better.
I do not have that part of my brain that gives things a pass just because I am supposed to or I am NOT supposed to say anything bad about it. Fuck that shit, man. I have this affliction where I hold all things to the same standards. I am kind of deeply into music and when it's fucking stupid I say it's fucking stupid, I don't care who the fuck made it or waht the socialogical implications may be.
Most hip hop, most rap music is fucking horrible, stupid ass music for stupid fucks to listen to. Most hardcore, death metal, smooth jazz, hippie jam shit, same thing, but we are not talking about death metal or any of that shit, we are talking about stupid ass rap music.

Why would any of you waste your time with any of those comments sections? Those are people who don't even have their own PRF, they just randomly shoot their shit over random walls. The yelling street corner homeless of the internet. At least we have a group home, you know?
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Antero on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:53 am

Marsupialized wrote:The music, the beats are absolutely simple to make, I can whip you up a whole shitload of hip hop tracks in about an hour that will be absolutely on par with anything else out there.

Dare you.
Antero
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:41 am

Bleh
El Protoolio

Postby wellsyuk on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:03 am

http://www.nme.com/news/odd-future/58546
They've put 'niggering' instead of 'sniggering' in the Steve quote. You did mean sniggering right?
What a bunch of fuckwits.
Last edited by wellsyuk on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
wellsyuk
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:07 am

So Tyler felt the need to respond:
Feel Like I Have To Defend Myself. 1 Idk Who The Fuck Steve Albino Is 2. I Dont 'Nigger Everything Insight' 3. I Never Say Fuck U To Drivers
4. We (odd future) Never Discuss How Much We Are Making A Show In Public, Ever.
5. Me Nor Anyone i Know In My Age Group Know Who You Are, Old Ass. Surprised You Knew how To Use A Computer. And Whats Good With RAPEMAN?
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Zorg on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 am

I think Steve might want to reconsider that part where he calls them "pretty smart".
Zorg
cool kid
cool kid

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap