Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
68%
NOT CRAP
32%

Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Dovey wrote:The beat in "Turnt Down" is just ridiculous.

The original for that one is fucking annoying though.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Mason on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Antero wrote:Soon you will find yourself using "swag" in casual conversation.

I've been having problems with this since November or December.

It took until this week for "based" to enter my lexicon but oh lordy has it ever.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Apparently Hodgy has a big thing for Black Sabbath. All good stoners love Sabbath.

Hodgy Beats, on his Tumblr wrote:Image

FUCK THEYRE FUCKING GREAT FUCK YOU AND YOUR WORLD
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Dovey on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:14 pm

If Hodgy ain't careful he's gonna end up being my favourite dude
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Antero on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:22 am

Has anyone besides me listened to Frank Ocean's album yet? Even their singer can drop a good album. There are some missteps ("Hotel California"? Really) but it's worth a download just for "novacane," which is fucking incredible.

Fuck, even the "Hotel California" thing isn't as bad as it could be. Guy is a really strong narrative songwriter.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby BadComrade on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 pm

I just watched the first 30 seconds or so of the Jimmy K performance.

Really, people? "Most excited you've been in 10 years", etc?

From what I heard, their delivery sounds like 45% Onyx, 25% Eminem (when he's in his "I'm a bad ass" mode, not his "Oh, I'm so silly" mode), 10% Wu-Tang and 20% Busta Rhymes. Actually, I might wanna swap Onyx out with Gravediggaz. Gravediggaz were one of a few rap groups in the mid-90s that tried doing "spooky" rap, remember? This song on Jimmy K reminds me of "spooky rap", so yeah... maybe more Gravediggaz than Onyx. Whatever.

I listened to it on a cellphone with other music playing in the background, but if this stuff is, uh, "killing it", it should have jumped out and made me not click it off after 30 seconds.

But hey, that's cool there's a new rap "collective" (ha, maybe they'll "curate" some fest you people are gonna go to this summer) for the indie kids to be hip to.

Maybe I'll check it out later and change my opinion. If Isabelle Gall likes something I usually do too.

Oh, and the only person on this board who should be using the word / has any swagger is R.S. Murphaaaay. Yaz heard?
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kerble on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:51 pm

big_dave wrote:
BadComrade wrote:I just watched the first 30 seconds or so

BadComrade wrote:I listened to it on a cellphone with other music playing in the background

I listened to it on my loud-ass stereo with the 19" monitor and was there past the 30-second mark when the tuba kicked in, so I guess I won.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Antero on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:19 pm

BadComrade wrote:I listened to it on a cellphone with other music playing in the background, but if this stuff is, uh, "killing it", it should have jumped out and made me not click it off after 30 seconds.

Well have fun with your Lady GaGa records, I guess?
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby BadComrade on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:37 am

Antero wrote:
BadComrade wrote:I listened to it on a cellphone with other music playing in the background, but if this stuff is, uh, "killing it", it should have jumped out and made me not click it off after 30 seconds.

Well have fun with your Lady GaGa records, I guess?

Until hearing the audio portion of the long-running television news magazine 60 Minutes on AM radio last Sunday night, I had never heard Lady GaGa's music before. I was not at all surprised that she sucks. I suppose she should get "props" for the fact that she writes and co-writes all of her songs (even though they suck), though.

So, I just watched the entire clip of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All performing on Jimmy Fallon's show. Now that I know they have the word wolf in what's also a long, stupid band name (like "Death From Above 1979" or "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!"), I'm starting to understand why so many of you hip motherfuckers like them so much. I bet they'll play just before the Sunday night headlinders at this year's Pitchfork. Maybe Lupe Fiasco will come out and do a song with them!! Chi-town reprazent!

Fa real tho: I jus don't get why ya'll be autopushin OFWGKTA. I ain't tryin ta throw shade on ya boys, cuz dey kinda straight (compared ta most of dat weak shit that drops now) but like kerbs and I was sayin' a minute ago (yo yo yo kerbs, what up dun!!?), dey be on dat Gravediggaz tip, mixed with somma dat Eminem swagga spit with somma dat DMX / Onyx / LotNS-era Bussa Bus hot fire. Ain't no revolution, fo sho.

But seriously, folks. I can not believe some of the things you guys have said about these young hip hop musicians. Comparing it to punk rock? Feeling it is the best thing in the last ten years? So funny. Not as funny as some of you talking "straight up hood" all of the sudden, though. For that, you should be embarrassed. Not as embarrassed as you should be for thinking smoke machines, ski masks, garden gnomes, a girl dressed as a zombie and a white dude playing an iphone (in front of the tuba player) are "punk rock", but still...

I can't wait to see them appear in the thread about things you once thought were cool but later realized were crap.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think I'll stick with the winners of 2008's "Rap Group Most Palatable to Indie Rockers / Approved by Pitchfork" award: Chicagoland's own Cool Kids.

Scan that with a barcode app on your smart phone.

Oh, and when you're ready for some dope shit that will push your wig back, watch Xzibit battle "internet funnyman" Tom Green in this sensational video. Maybe he can join the collective.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby iHateTheFloridaPanhandle on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:02 am

BadComrade wrote: So, I just watched the entire clip of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All performing on Jimmy Fallon's show. Now that I know they have the word wolf in what's also a long, stupid band name (like "Death From Above 1979" or "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!"), I'm starting to understand why so many of you hip motherfuckers like them so much. I bet they'll play just before the Sunday night headlinders at this year's Pitchfork. Maybe Lupe Fiasco will come out and do a song with them!! Chi-town reprazent!

To be fair here, most band names are silly. I don't think i've ever had a time where I've had an opinion along the lines "Oh, their name is The Who? That is a legit name I gotta take a listen!"

BadComrade wrote:But seriously, folks. I can not believe some of the things you guys have said about these young hip hop musicians. Comparing it to punk rock? Feeling it is the best thing in the last ten years? So funny. Not as funny as some of you talking "straight up hood" all of the sudden, though. For that, you should be embarrassed. Not as embarrassed as you should be for thinking smoke machines, ski masks, garden gnomes, a girl dressed as a zombie and a white dude playing an iphone (in front of the tuba player) are "punk rock", but still...

They're punk rock in the sense that they released about 7 albums worth of material independently and grew enough of a following to get on Late Night. They're punk rock in the sense that they're passionate enough about their own music to go absolutely apeshit and do whatever and not play it safe once they get a big break. They're punk rock in the sense they're not worrying about someone like you being condescending about their decisions.

BadComrade wrote:Call me old-fashioned, but I think I'll stick with the winners of 2008's "Rap Group Most Palatable to Indie Rockers / Approved by Pitchfork" award: Chicagoland's own Cool Kids.

If by palatable you mean making songs about stuff that's relatable and not about gucchi and getting the hoes, yes. And please do not say they only do songs involving rape and scary intimidating shit. Yes, its there, but it's pretty obviously there as purposefully uncomfortable sarcasm.

BadComrade wrote:Image

That was put there by Late Night I'm pretty sure. Because This is the actual cover.

BadComrade wrote:Oh, and when you're ready for some dope shit that will push your wig back, watch Xzibit battle "internet funnyman" Tom Green in this sensational video. Maybe he can join the collective.

This is actually pretty entertaining.
iHateTheFloridaPanhandle
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior

Postby Sam on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:36 pm

BadComrade wrote:Get off my lawn...white dude playing a game boy

Judging an 8+member group by a video containing two of them is silly. The Roots were the backing band.
Sam
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:14 pm

BadComrade wrote:I can not believe some of the things you guys have said about these young hip hop musicians. Comparing it to punk rock? Feeling it is the best thing in the last ten years? So funny. Not as funny as some of you talking "straight up hood" all of the sudden, though. For that, you should be embarrassed. Not as embarrassed as you should be for thinking smoke machines, ski masks, garden gnomes, a girl dressed as a zombie and a white dude playing an iphone (in front of the tuba player) are "punk rock", but still...

Well, the likelihood of any punk rock being made anytime soon that sounds like punk rock is practically nil. Not going to happen.

Also, iPhones and iPads have all kinds of useful and not as yet fully tapped applications as portable playback and modulation devices. Two examples-port for an iPhone in the new Fairlight CMI 30A and the iPad being able to do pretty much everything a $1800 JazzMutant Lemur would have done.

If I'd seen the Fallon performance without being already familiar with Bastard and the EARL album then I probably would have enjoyed it, but I doubt it would have had quite the same wtfuckitsrlyhappeningandtheyrkillingit effect that it had for myself and others here. I fucking HATE it when people idly call things surreal but this really was. Anyway, those are the two albums you should definitely check out. If everything they went on to produce was unmitigated shit Odd Future would forever be NC for those two alone. I don't think that's going to be happening though and Goblin for one could well be bonkers if Yonkers is any indication.

BadComrade wrote:If Isabelle Gall likes something I usually do too.

Awesome. Please don't read the "what records have you bought recently" thread.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby BadComrade on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:21 pm

iHateTheFloridaPanhandle wrote:They're punk rock in the sense that they released about 7 albums worth of material independently and grew enough of a following to get on Late Night. They're punk rock in the sense that they're passionate enough about their own music to go absolutely apeshit and do whatever and not play it safe once they get a big break. They're punk rock in the sense they're not worrying about someone like you being condescending about their decisions.

Master P is "punk rock" by your standards, then.

There are tons of rappers that don't rap about material possessions and also have their own unique "flow" (which I don't think the guys on Fallon had, as I've previously stated). Pitchfork aren't hyping them though, so you don't know about them.

I love how so many people that are buying in to the hype over this boring rap "collective" are also apologetic for their use of the word faggot and other things you people would be up in fucking arms about if done by a white rock band. Keep making excuses for them, faggots!
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Antero on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:50 pm

BadComrade wrote:Call me old-fashioned, but I think I'll stick with the winners of 2008's "Rap Group Most Palatable to Indie Rockers / Approved by Pitchfork" award: Chicagoland's own Cool Kids.
The Cool Kids are an awful group who make shitty rap full of self-conscious throwbacks to an era that, for them, exists only has empty signifiers. Fuck The Cool Kids.

BadComrade wrote:Master P is "punk rock" by your standards, then.

Master P is actually pretty punk rock, at least in the sense of generating a following through independent effort and word of mouth rather than through corporate channels.

Odd Future is punk because they make music for its own sake, experiment, are interested in honest expression, and challenge the traditions, assumptions, and practices of both mainstream and underground rap.

I love how so many people that are buying in to the hype over this boring rap "collective" are also apologetic for their use of the word faggot and other things you people would be up in fucking arms about if done by a white rock band. Keep making excuses for them, faggots!

Right, because there's a huge contingent up on the board who finds this to be morally reprehensible.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby RSMurphy on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Antero wrote:
BadComrade wrote:

Right, because there's a huge contingent up on the board who finds this to be morally reprehensible.

You do realize that is a weak comparison, don't you? I won't even begin to understand the context in which any of those guys use the word "faggot" (if you do I'd love to read about it), but Patti Smith is obviously using "nigger" as descriptor for her outside status. Is Odd Future doing the same type of identifying with their use of the word "faggot?" I'm sincerely interested as I think their beats and atmosphere are pretty great. It's hard for me, though, to get past the subject matter. And I consider myself an appreciator of transgressive art. To my limited knowledge it just sounds like kids being stupid and people are allowing for their stupidity because of a vacuum in hip hop culture.

Sincerely interested in thoughts from those who are championing this. Also, I read somewhere in this thread where an appreciator mentions they wish they'd stop singing about rape, but also states that kids should be unfiltered...or something like that. Please to show me what I am not getting.

And for the record I have yet to cast a vote, though everything I have heard has been sick.
Last edited by RSMurphy on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RSMurphy
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby BadComrade on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Yes, rapping about liking Sega and clothes from `88 is much more "whack" than rapping about raping, faggots and smoking weed.

I'd rather listen to Odd Future Whatever the Fuck They're Called than Patti Smith. Patti Smith is fucking horseshit. Just fucking terrible. Either way, she's not using the word "nigger" in a derogatory way, so you've failed twice.

The 1:16 mark in this (Beastie Boys) song reminds me of this.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby RSMurphy on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:39 pm

BadComrade wrote:Yes, rapping about liking Sega and clothes from `88 is much more "whack" than rapping about raping, faggots and smoking weed.

I'd rather listen to Odd Future Whatever the Fuck They're Called than Patti Smith.

I didn't click on this thread for the first two pages because I thought it was a C/NC on Odd Furniture.

Patti Smith is fucking horseshit. Just fucking terrible.

Watch your tone.
RSMurphy

Postby Dovey on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm

BadComrade wrote:Image

FYI, it just directs to oddfuture.com
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey

Postby Antero on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 am

The barcode is pretty clever, because they don't have any physical records he could hold up.

As a bracket to all further discussion of OF and obscenity, it should be noted that the only members of the group engaged in serious obscenity are Tyler and Earl. Occasionally Hodgy.

RSMurphy wrote:You do realize that is a weak comparison, don't you? I won't even begin to understand the context in which any of those guys use the word "faggot" (if you do I'd love to read about it), but Patty Smith is obviously using "nigger" as descriptor for her outside status.
BadComrade wrote:Either way, she's not using the word "nigger" in a derogatory way
Well, hold up.

It's easy to make a statement like that from our perspective - the song has been widely discussed for years, and everyone is at this point well aware of her intent - but this idea that "She's not using the word in a derogatory way" is insufficient, isn't it? We're not saying it's okay because she lacked derogatory intent, we're saying that because of the role of the word in the song we accept its use. Just pointing to "intent" would excuse every awkward encounter with a white kid who greets his friends with "what up nigga."

Moving on.

Is Odd Future doing the same type of identifying with their use of the word "faggot?" I'm sincerely interested as I think their beats and atmosphere are pretty great.
No.* They're using the word in the unfortunate way that teenagers use it, as a denatured negative.**

It's hard for me, though, to get past the subject matter. And I consider myself an appreciator of transgressive art. To my limited knowledge it just sounds like kids being stupid and people are allowing for their stupidity because of a vacuum in hip hop culture.
There's obscenity but nothing in the way of stupidity; the way Earl puts words together on even (especially?) his most transgressive verses is staggeringly creative. He has an understanding of slant rhyme and assonance that exceeds all but a handful of the greatest MCs, and his wordplay is original and unexpected. Tyler's also great on the mic, and tends to be viciously funny.

The rape and murder talk on BASTARD and EARL comes from a lot of different places. One is the desire to shock and discomfit - say, Tyler's threats in "French," or the endlessly creepy "Blow." Another is as a cathartic mechanism for dealing with heartbreak, as seen in Earl's "Luper" (where, after discussing the breakup, Earl realizes she'll never listen to the song and takes the opportunity to vent his anger) or Tyler's "Sarah." There's also something additional, and weirder, happening in "VCR," which turns around issues of control, insecurity, and jealousy.

A strong point of difference between OF and horrorcore is the fact that the vast majority of OF's catalogue isn't in any way engaged with the tropes of that genre. "Shocking" lyrics in horrorcore are an attempt to evoke a certain mood, like a horror movie. With OF it's usually a detail within a verse rather than the complete focus, often has the character of friends making inappropriate jokes with each other, and gives the impression that they're saying something not so much to shock but more to rebel against the very idea that anyone could try to stop them.

BadComrade wrote:Yes, rapping about liking Sega and clothes from `88 is much more "whack" than rapping about raping, faggots and smoking weed.
Yes, exactly. 100%.

*Lil B, on the other hand, has referred to himself as a fag, a lesbian, a pretty bitch, and Ellen Degeneres.
**Unlike early Eminem, OF's records contain no attacks on gays. Kids these days just seem to call each other that. It's their engineer Syd, who is apparently lesbian, shouting it at Earl on the interlude "wakeupfaggot"
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Antero on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:08 am

And with that, YONKERS hits a million.

I'm happy for them. They deserve to blow up.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap