home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Collective: Odd Future

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
153
68%
NOT CRAP
72
32%
 
Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Zorg on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 am

Finally, a black Bloodhound Gang.

Crap.
User avatar
Zorg
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby RSMurphy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 am

Antero wrote:As a bracket to all further discussion of OF and obscenity, it should be noted that the only members of the group engaged in serious obscenity are Tyler and Earl. Occasionally Hodgy.


Fair enough, but Tyler, Earl, and ocassionaly Hodgy are the three MCs one immediately think of when Odd Future is mentioned. It is their work which informs the aesthetic of the collective which is why I feel a generalization is easy enough.

It's easy to make a statement like that from our perspective - the song ["Rock and Roll Nigger"] has been widely discussed for years, and everyone is at this point well aware of her intent - but this idea that "She's not using the word in a derogatory way" is insufficient, isn't it?


No. It is sufficient enough. Historical context isn't needed to glean her motivation for writing the song. The poetry and meaning is a plain as day. You could take someone who isn't familiar with Patti Smith, introduce them to that song, and they'd come out of it realizing the artist's intent. It is that heavy-handed.

We're not saying it's okay because she lacked derogatory intent, we're saying that because of the role of the word in the song we accept its use. Just pointing to "intent" would excuse every awkward encounter with a white kid who greets his friends with "what up nigga."


Which is exactly what you are doing by excusing and attributing intellectual reasoning behind Odd Future's use of "faggot," and describing rape fantasies.[/quote]

Moving on.


I would be remiss if I didn't state this, but the amount of slavish devotion and general brown-nosing of this collective by the general consensus of this thread is baffling and slightly insulting.

They're using the word [faggot] in the unfortunate way that teenagers use it, as a denatured negative.


If it is so unfortunate then why is it being excused? Is it because they couch it in such a creative fashion that its historical context and sting should be lessened?

There's obscenity but nothing in the way of stupidity; the way Earl puts words together on even (especially?) his most transgressive verses is staggeringly creative. He has an understanding of slant rhyme and assonance that exceeds all but a handful of the greatest MCs, and his wordplay is original and unexpected. Tyler's also great on the mic, and tends to be viciously funny.


Again, is it because these transgressive verses have a flow that they should be ignored. If someone humiliates and debases a group of people with panache that makes it acceptable? Like I mentioned earlier, I appreciate transgressive art because I am able to process the entirety of that work's creation: intent, context, and execution. With some, not all, but some of this OF output I'm just hearing kids being stupid kids (albeit it with panache), and everyone excusing them for their behavior because the majority of mainstream hip hop sucks ass and these kids are like a whiff of fetid air in a stagnant scene.

The rape and murder talk on BASTARD and EARL comes from a lot of different places. One is the desire to shock and discomfit - say, Tyler's threats in "French," or the endlessly creepy "Blow." Another is as a cathartic mechanism for dealing with heartbreak, as seen in Earl's "Luper" (where, after discussing the breakup, Earl realizes she'll never listen to the song and takes the opportunity to vent his anger) or Tyler's "Sarah." There's also something additional, and weirder, happening in "VCR," which turns around issues of control, insecurity, and jealousy.

A strong point of difference between OF and horrorcore is the fact that the vast majority of OF's catalogue isn't in any way engaged with the tropes of that genre. "Shocking" lyrics in horrorcore are an attempt to evoke a certain mood, like a horror movie. With OF it's usually a detail within a verse rather than the complete focus, often has the character of friends making inappropriate jokes with each other, and gives the impression that they're saying something not so much to shock but more to rebel against the very idea that anyone could try to stop them.


OK, now this is something that I had felt but wasn't able to suss-out and I find it much better reasoning than, say, kids being kids so let's excuse them.

Again, to be sure, I have yet to vote on Odd Future. So far I am finding their aesthetic uncomfortably pleasing, and, yeah, they are like a whiff of fetid air in a scene that is stagnant and content. However, to be dismissive and to basically say you're just not getting it is horseshit. As someone who is well-aware of self-esteem and identity issues that can be brought-on by employing art in this fashion, it is only right that we take a good, hard look at them as well as ourselves.

Some thirteen-year-old faggot isn't going to be thinking intellectually.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9150
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby kerble on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:09 pm

BadComrade wrote:So, I just watched the entire clip of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All performing on Jimmy Fallon's show. Now that I know they have the word wolf in what's also a long, stupid band name (like "Death From Above 1979" or "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!"),


except they're kids. and kids name their bands poorly often. that said I think "Odd Future" is a pretty slick band name, and is how they're billed and booked. and the OFWGKTA (and the full name) is a graffiti tradition of crew tagging. considering there's tons of footage of them spraypainting, it seems more like a graffiti culture nod than anything.

I'm starting to understand why so many of you hip motherfuckers like them so much.


I like the music and they get shit done. skate videos, comedy interviews, etc. the album covers are exceptional. they seem great live. why not?


I bet they'll play just before the Sunday night headlinders at this year's Pitchfork. Maybe Lupe Fiasco will come out and do a song with them!! Chi-town reprazent!


I would be shocked if they didn't play pitchfork this year. not the point. a good gig is a good gig, or should dianogah not have played?

Gravediggaz


honestly that 1st gravediggaz record is one of my all-time favourites. part of what I like about the odd future stuff is that there's never been anything that hit the same part of the brain since them. and there's lots of it. GD was '94, that makes it ~17 years. that's reason enough for me to get excited.

But seriously, folks. I can not believe some of the things you guys have said about these young hip hop musicians. Comparing it to punk rock? Feeling it is the best thing in the last ten years? So funny. Not as funny as some of you talking "straight up hood" all of the sudden, though. For that, you should be embarrassed. Not as embarrassed as you should be for thinking smoke machines, ski masks, garden gnomes, a girl dressed as a zombie and a white dude playing an iphone (in front of the tuba player) are "punk rock", but still...


I think it's rad.

I can't wait to see them appear in the thread about things you once thought were cool but later realized were crap.


I think it'll hold up.


Image

Scan that with a barcode app on your smart phone.


your point? they had the same idea you have for your footer on an internet forum
and blew up with it? are you jealous? that's cool!

I scanned your footer a month or so back. thought it was funny.
I scanned the Odd Future bar code and got to watch the "Yonkers" video again.
thank you.

shit sounded great on my cell phone.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18761
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby kerble on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:10 pm

Zorg wrote:Finally, a black Bloodhound Gang.

Crap.



incredible post. salut!
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18761
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby kerble on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 pm

BadComrade wrote:There are tons of rappers that don't rap about material possessions and also have their own unique "flow" (which I don't think the guys on Fallon had, as I've previously stated). Pitchfork aren't hyping them though, so you don't know about them.


so give us some recommendations for some new shit, dude at a record store. it seems your knowledge of hip hop stopped in '96. Master P? (for the record, Tyler has a line about how he's Master P in 96), so he's aware. Master P to him was punk rock, so he built his band accordingly. your view of punk seems pretty narrow.

I love how so many people that are buying in to the hype over this boring rap "collective" are also apologetic for their use of the word faggot and other things you people would be up in fucking arms about if done by a white rock band. Keep making excuses for them, faggots!


uh, I'm pretty sure the people here are okay with the band Rapeman. especially you, my fan boy friend. they're using the tons of the exact same signifiers that you find cool and neat (the barcode, e.g.) and are doing very well for themselves.

why are you hating on a bunch of kids?

Antero wrote:And with that, YONKERS hits a million.

I'm happy for them. They deserve to blow up.



just played it again, thanks.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18761
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby scntfc on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:37 pm

RSMurphy wrote:I would be remiss if I didn't state this, but the amount of slavish devotion and general brown-nosing of this collective by the general consensus of this thread is baffling and slightly insulting.


for me it has everything to do with context. i'm definitely not saying it's okay that they use the word, but in the context of the history of hip hop it is unfortunately not out of place.

i've been guiltily excusing homophobia and sexism in music i like for twenty years. i used to dj hip hop, and would make an effort to quickly drop the volume on the f-word when possible. it was an uphill battle.
User avatar
scntfc
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2718
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby kerble on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Anyone complaining about Odd Future's lyrics
that owns a Whitehouse record
can shut the hell up
starting now.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18761
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby RSMurphy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 pm

scntfc wrote:
RSMurphy wrote:I would be remiss if I didn't state this, but the amount of slavish devotion and general brown-nosing of this collective by the general consensus of this thread is baffling and slightly insulting.


for me it has everything to do with context. i'm definitely not saying it's okay that they use the word, but in the context of the history of hip hop it is unfortunately not out of place.


I agree, but my question remains why excuse it in these kids? If one's much younger sibling, friend, acquaintance, etc., employs "faggot" in, as Antero says: a denatured negative, does this make it OK? Are we just living in an uncomfortable time where these words are losing their power? And to that extent why aren't kids defanging "chink," "kike," or "spic?" It's always "fag" and "nigger." Always.

i've been guiltily excusing homophobia and sexism in music i like for twenty years.
I am sure I do this often as well. I definitely am not saying that I'm above anyone or taking some moral highground, it's just that most of the excuses in this thread don't hold water. It's like just because they are innovative they're being given certain allowances. For the life of me this is a C/NC thread, and those who are voting NC are being dismissive of salient points and issues being brought to the table that add a counterpoint to this whole you-just-ain't-getting-it vibe. Perhaps if their music was as ugly, brutal, and discomfitting as a band like Whitehouse or Throbbig Gristle could they get away with taking a first-person account into depravity and perversion, but it's catchy. Spooky and gritty, yeah, but catchy-as-fuck. Rape with a good beat. Debasing with a flow.

It isn't wrong to question these things.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9150
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby BadComrade on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:25 pm

kerble wrote:...so give us some recommendations for some new shit, dude at a record store. it seems your knowledge of hip hop stopped in '96. Master P? (for the record, Tyler has a line about how he's Master P in 96), so he's aware. Master P to him was punk rock, so he built his band accordingly. your view of punk seems pretty narrow.


I only referenced Master P because the dude's a fucking walking parody of a superstar rapper. So what if he's a self-made man? My point is, people never went apeshit over him just because he was an "indie rapper". Dude has 14k gold WALLS in his house, and his own action figure (which I linked to in that post). You guys should get in to Master P. I mean, if your guy in OMGBRBWTFFTW is referencing him, you should be searching SoulSeek for those deep cuts right now.

One of the biggest underground rappers around right now is a guy that calls himself Immortal Technique. He doesn't rap about material possessions (actually, he usually raps about a lot of things the PRF discusses on the reg), and he occasionally has controversial lyrics like Odd Furniture, so that should be a plus in your book already. I think his lyrics are pretty funny, but his delivery is pretty boring. There's a years-old Crap / Not Crap on him, with 9 (count `em... 9) posts. That thread is currently at 75% "not crap", which is 15% higher than this over-hyped group; dude should have a 5 page and counting thread about him as well, yet doesn't.

Here's one of his songs



I'm also surprised people didn't go crazy over P.O.S around here. He's part of a "hip-hop collective" and everything! To their credit, Antero and Big Dave were "hip" to him a few years ago (as was Nick), but almost no one else brought him up, because he didn't have Pitchfork-like hype surrounding him. Check out his song "P.O.S is Ruining My Life":

Album track

Live, with a DJ and without a tuba, zombie girl, ski mask or smoke machine.

Live, with him playing the guitar riff (which is an Underoath riff).

Live, attempting to build the beat, play acoustic guitar and rap at the same time (kinda doesn't work, but it's funny)

For indie "cred", he's also in a "punk" band as well (he sings and plays guitar). They kinda remind me of a band or two that I've seen play PRF BBQs. They're called Building Better Bombs.

Here's an album track.

Here's a live video (they start around the :45 second mark).

Here's an old video of them from 2002. They started off much like a young Blacks, with a drum machine, bass, guitar and screamy vocals. I don't think this is very good, I'm just sayin'...




So, I wanna ask you apologists: Did you consider yourselves "kids" when you were 19? I didn't. The government doesn't. When do you cease to be a "kid", 21? Quit apologizing for all of their stupid shit with "they're just kids". They're not. Rapeman never sang about rape or faggots, if I recall. I don't own everything they did, so maybe I'm missing something. I never thought the name "Rapeman" was offensive. Can't think of anyone I know that did. Guess I don't know enough feminists. Maybe if I was a "networker" I'd have like 200 of those bitches in my stable, but I don't. Weak comparison.

You really think they're good live? Especially after seeing the live cellphone videos I and other people have posted? Their performance on Jimmy Fallon's show is the only good performance I've seen them do (and they were performing boring music). Seriously... that video that I linked to of them playing live in London is just fucking terrible. I bet none of their fans here even sat through all 8 minutes of that. Anyone who says that's a "great performance" is full of shit (as is anyone who will claim "that's just a cellphone video, of course it doesn't blah blah blah").

So, the music is pretty boring. What else is there? Oh, the videos! I can't remember a time when so many people on this board were so in to music videos... Those aren't very "punk rock", are they? I watched the one that hit 1,000,000 views. Kinda cool, I guess. Not "shocking" or "disturbing" in any way (unless you consider that fat bald guy who eats bugs on the Discovery Channel to be as well), but it was nicely done. Too bad I'm not really in to watching music videos.

I don't think Dianogah were put on Pitchfork for any reason other than the fact that they're a good, unique band. There was no hype surrounding Dianogah when they played Pitchfork. Dianogah has been around since the mid-90s... took Pitchfork THAT long to have them play? They should have been on the bill at the festival if they supposedly know what good music is. Unfortunately, they were probably only on the bill because Jay's awesome posters brought Dianogah in to the light.

I have no problem with the 3D barcode thing... I was just telling people to scan it. It's a good idea (just like putting a barcode on a DVD that plays the movie trailer on your phone as you hold it in the store is kinda cool, putting them on billboards can be cool, using them as grafitti (I've seen this once or twice) is cool, etc).


I own no Whitehouse records, so I have not shut the hell up. I do see and speak to ex-Whitehouse collaborator Peter Sotos quite often, and he's more "punk rock" than anyone on this board. He's also nicer than anyone on this board.


Image


Classic rap cut of the day: Two Kings in a Cipher - Daffy (duck) Was a Black Man

Modern rap track for those in to hipster rap with Clash samples like M.I.A.: Zion I & The Grouch - Trigger

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah, boyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Last edited by BadComrade on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
User avatar
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:56 pm

RSMurphy wrote:I agree, but my question remains why excuse it in these kids? If one's much younger sibling, friend, acquaintance, etc., employs "faggot" in, as Antero says: a denatured negative, does this make it OK? Are we just living in an uncomfortable time where these words are losing their power? And to that extent why aren't kids defanging "chink," "kike," or "spic?" It's always "fag" and "nigger." Always.

That last part is a really interesting question, and I don't know the answer. The only thing that springs to mind is perhaps it's that the most dispossessed are in a position where defanging is necessary, whereas other groups are able to defend themselves through social dominance? I don't know. "Bitch" should probably be added to the list as well.

With regards to OF, I find it easy to ignore (if not excuse, per se) their use of "faggot" given the lack of specific malice and the larger torrent of obscenity around it. I've heard a number of rap songs where there are genuine attacks on homosexuals and that shit bothers the hell out of me. I've heard even more songs where "fag" is used to say that someone is behaving in an un-manly fashion, which is also problematic. There's none of that in OF, so it never hits me as anything other than another word that Tyler is not supposed to be screaming in school.

So I guess it's not that it's OK, it's that it's a different sort of not-OK.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:59 pm

BadComrade wrote:One of the biggest underground rappers around right now is a guy that calls himself Immortal Technique

Immortal Technique is awful. Awful, awful, awful. Boring beats, weak flow, can barely hold the rhythm, heavy-handed political rap. Good god. He's like a punchline for everything that's wrong with underground rap.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby BadComrade on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Antero wrote:
BadComrade wrote:One of the biggest underground rappers around right now is a guy that calls himself Immortal Technique

Immortal Technique is awful. Awful, awful, awful. Boring beats, weak flow, can barely hold the rhythm, heavy-handed political rap. Good god. He's like a punchline for everything that's wrong with underground rap.


His thing fits pretty much everything you people seem to love about this weak-ass Odd Future group (which is my point). That "beat" they used on Fallon? Boring. It never even changed. Their "flow"? I've already stated who they're derivative of.

Oh, and Immortal still hasn't "sold out". One of your boys from this collective is on XL now, huh? Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. You know who else are on XL? A ton of OTHER hipster darlings like Beck, Ratatat, Vampire Weekend, Peaches, M.I.A. Sigur Ros, The White Stripes, Gil Scott-Heron and Radiohead. Ha. Ha. HaHaHa. SO UNDERGROUND!

Odd Furniture WTF dudes belong on XL, right beside all of the other Pitchfork-hyped bullshit.

Done here!
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
User avatar
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby A Totem Pole on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:28 pm

///
Last edited by A Totem Pole on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Totem Pole
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:33 am

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby BadComrade on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:42 pm

A Totem Pole wrote:God, that P.O.S. track is terrible.

BigComrade, if you don't like OddFuture's music, that's fine. But to continue to suggest that the people who do like their music only do so because of internet hype is complete bullshit. They make good, competent music and I genuinely enjoy it. I am also adult enough to realize that just because something is getting covered by Pitchfork doesn't mean that it is fake, disingenuous music. It's ridiculous that words like "hipster" and "Pitchfork" are still being used seriously as criticisms on this board. You come off as bitter and condescending, coming in to show us kids where it's really at with your Immortal Technique YouTube links as if everybody who enjoys rap music hasn't known about Immortal Technique for years. He sucks. That's why his thread is nine replies long.

And easy does it with the scare quotes, man. "Collective"? They are a collective, dude. I think the term is being used correctly.


I never said Immortal Technique or P.O.S are "where it's at". I said that it's surprising to me that you guys didn't go apeshit over them based on what you like about this over-hyped collective. I think it's kinda funny that the Immortal Technique C/NC is at 75% yet this one's only at 60%. Even if it is only 9 posts long, the PRF has spoken, and Immortal Technique is currently held in high regards than these "kids". Quick, go over there and cast a "crap" vote real quick!

Oh, and I use quotes around "collective" as well as "curate" and "punk" because I don't use them in any seriousness. They're just stupid "buzzwords" of this decade (like "alternative" and "indie" were in past decades).
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
User avatar
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:47 pm

BadComrade wrote:His thing fits pretty much everything you people seem to love about this weak-ass Odd Future group (which is my point).
No, he doesn't. At all. Immortal Technique is a dullard "political" real-hip-hopper with no personality, no rhymes, no aesthetic sophistication.

He, and those like him, are why "underground" hip-hop has been such a fucking wasteland for so many years.
That "beat" they used on Fallon? Boring. It never even changed.

Everyone on here who listens to OF can tell you about the beats.
Their "flow"? I've already stated who they're derivative of.

On the one hand you're wrong in your observations, and on the other hand you don't seem to know what flow means. Immortal Technique has no flow: he is a bad technical rapper. His rhymes are poor, his rhythm is weak, he has no delivery. He is incapable of creating a rhyme that evokes real human emotions or intellectual engages anyone whose politics are deeper than a bumper sticker.

I think you're just going to have to come to terms with the fact that you don't know much about rap.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:59 pm

big_dave wrote:For me, they seem like the grotesque spoof element of Pharcyde tracks like "4 Better or 4 Worse" stretched out and battered around different scenes/sounds.
That last verse is so intensely creepy! Good lord.
Again, I'm not 100 percent comfortable with some of this shit, but then again, neither are they. I don't think that if they were comfortable with the subject matter they'd still rap about it.

I think this is very much correct.
Last edited by Antero on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby BadComrade on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Interesting... I haven't heard enough to know about the cannibal / satanist / suicidal / arsonist stuff. Sound like maybe those (and the aforementioned) things are the equivalent of CGI in film: put there for the "wow factor". Either way, I think it's kinda lame. If you're "spitting good rhymes" then why do you need to add a bunch of sensational shit in for controversy? Hell, I'd rather listen to that Immortal Technique guy rap about how he doesn't like how IBM sold machines to the Nazis, etc. At least that shit actually happened...

Antero wrote:
BadComrade wrote:His thing fits pretty much everything you people seem to love about this weak-ass Odd Future group (which is my point).


No, he doesn't. At all. Immortal Technique is a dullard "political" real-hip-hopper with no personality, no rhymes, no aesthetic sophistication.

He, and those like him, are why "underground" hip-hop has been such a fucking wasteland for so many years.


No, it's a "wasteland" because almost all of it sucks. Same as any genre of music, really. Now that I think of it, it's no wonder you guys think so much of these guys. I mean, I'll agree... they're not terrible or anything. I just don't think the level of excitement I see about them is warranted based on what I've heard. People in this thread are acting as excited as people were about Nirvana. That was pretty crazy, too.

Antero wrote:On the one hand you're wrong in your observations, and on the other hand you don't seem to know what flow means.


Riiiiight. To not know what flow means would be to not know the very definition of the world. Now, I may not have gone to college, but I know what "flow" means in any sense of the word. Speaking of "flow"... What about the song of Odd Furniture's that I linked to earlier in this thread (the one that samples the Beastie Boys)? Would you say the guy (Left Brain, right?) that comes in at the mark I mentioned (1:16) has "flow"? Is he rapping that way to sound like he's "blunted"? Oh, I know... maybe he's rapping like he doesn't know how to rap to be ironic! Yeah... maybe that's why he sucks so hard on his portion of that track... he doesn't actually suck, he's being clever. Maybe he's the one that came up with the gnomes! Does he skateboard and like Black Sabbath, too? Man, it's so cool when black guys do stuff that usually only white guys do... I get super excited about them! Either way, that dude has no "flow".

Antero wrote:I think you're just going to have to come to terms with the fact that you don't know much about rap.


Yeah, because it's not like I've been listening to rap since years before you were alive or anything. Dude, I have Slick Rick (talk about flow... Slick Rick & Doug E Fresh "The Show" is one of my favorite songs ever, I couldn't WAIT for "Ricky D" (Slick Rick) to put a record out) / Eric B & Rakim cassettes that are nearly as old as you are. I grew up in a predominately black neighborhood between the ages of 2-13 and was surrounded by rap music on a daily basis circa 1982. When I was 6 years old (in 1980), my next door neighbor (Carlos Fisher) used to work out in his garage and play records while doing so all summer long. Sometimes he played Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (EVERYONE liked that record... everyone) and sometimes he'd play THIS SONG, which was the first rap song ever released on record (if you skipped the link because you thought it was "Rapper's Delight", you're wrong). My best friend Kris gave me an advance cassette copy of The Beastie Boys License to Ill that his father (who ran a small record company / recording studio) gave him, and we played the fuck out of the song Paul Revere. We thought the rest of it was kind dumb, but we liked the backwards track on the song because it sounded cool. Before I happened across WLUW in 1986/87 (while Gang of Four's "At Home He Feels Like a Tourist" was playing and it blew my fucking mind), the only music I really found even a little interesting was rap. It was a new and exciting thing. Once I heard things I found to be 100 times more exciting (thanks to my continued tuning in to a certain show on WLUW), I started to ignore rap. I also moved out of the predominately black neighborhood and into a predominantly white one. My exposure to rap was far less by then (late 1987), and other than the occasional band like Public Enemy, I didn't really hear much that I thought was good. Probably why I'm in to the kind of music I like today.

Do I spend any time reading music blogs and downloading stuff (rap or otherwise)? Fuck no. Do I spend more than an hour a week listening to rap? Never. Why? Because most rap, underground or not, hyped or not, sucks. If THIS group is the best that's out there right now (and if it's not, please point me to the thread on this board that lists the really good stuff, I'd like to hear it...), then I've gotta say I don't feel I'm missing much by not paying attention. Especially if all I'm "missing" is new stuff by hipstery shit like Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, etc. Another reason why I pay little attention to rap is because of the fact that rap sucks even more when it's done live. As we all know, 95% of live rap involves a backing track, a bunch of dudes shouting in to microphones that are already amplified (trying to make the boring event more "exciting" I guess), and that's it. No wonder why you guys like the zombies, ski masks and garden gnomes so much... something new to look at. Maybe they'll get REAL controversial and add some lawn jockeys on their next tour! The other 5% is a bit more entertaining, but not by much. I saw Lupe Fiasco at that Third Coast fest this summer when noise&light got us in for free. He had a real band backing him up, and he kept the shouting-into-the-mic thing at a minimum. I had never heard his music before, but I thought it sucked. He puts on a great show, though. After he was done, Nas and one of Bob Marley's sons hit the other stage. Shit was AWFUL. All it consisted of was a bunch of hyping the crowd bullshit. So much so that I don't even remember either one of them rapping, and Liz (who likes Nas a bit) decided we could leave. Hell, that Jimmy Fallon performance might be the greatest rap performance I've ever seen. Well that, or maybe LL Cool J doing "Momma Said Knock You Out" on Mtv's "Unplugged", right? I love A Tribe Called Quest to death, but they sucked pretty hardcore when they were on Arsenio. I just watched it again on YouTube since seeing it in `92, and yeah... still sucks.



Steve V. wrote:How come Chris Hall gets 44 more votes than everyone else?

Explains this thread too.


I never vote on polls I create, and if I was going to tamper with voting on this poll, I would need about 100 or so dummy accounts to do so.
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
User avatar
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby eephour on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Gary Floyd wrote:Aw, that's okay, they're new wave


A friend of mine saw them play last week in the city. She asked me if I heard of them, I didn't, and asked her if they were "internet nerd rap". She laughed and told me to check out some videos and since I like Lil B I'll probably like these kids.

I watched the yonkers video and some of the Fallon gig and I'm still on the fence. I mean, yeah its cool these kids are making the music they want to make while confusing, exciting, and pissing people off all at once.

Maybe its being a stubborn new york rap fan, but I don't know, I respect it but its not really my thing. Not crap, waffles.
User avatar
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5139
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 pm
Location: Fleetwood

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 pm

So your point is you know about rap because you used to listen to Slick Rick when you were a kid, even though you admit you've ignored it for more than 20 years?

That's not knowing about rap.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby sulfur)addict on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Apparently I like "hipster" hip hop. Who knew?


I don't find that tag insulting. I enjoy a ton of hipster-hyped bands, and I'd be a prick if I dismissed music just because some bullshit site like Pitchfork said it was good. Hell, what if it is good?!

I've been rocking Bastard and Earl and The Dena Tape for a short while now, and I'm really excited for Goblins. Hype be damned, I enjoy Odd Future for their skills and aesthetic. That's all I've got to say.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
User avatar
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:10 am
Location: Columbus, OH

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sulfur)addict and 14 guests